Return - Cover

Return

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 9

For the next couple of weeks, I was preoccupied with getting the gym ready for the health and safety audit by Haringey Council. Jacky would go twice a week to see a therapist that Father Petrou recommended for her. His office was a couple of blocks from the gym when she finished she would come to the gym to see me.

I got Mario enrolled at Haringey College to get him ready for his GCSE’s, he will be taking in three months. Hopefully, when he passes, he will get into University. After college coming straight to the gym helping out, spending most of his time helping other youths. On his spare time, he would train with me. Mr Brown would be at the gym when Mario was there showing him all the time what to do to improve his skills.

Mario was just finishing off tidying the gym equipment, I was checking the emergency doors and windows to make sure everything was locked. Making our way home in the car, we spotted Mario’s mum entering the Tesco Express. Pulling into the parking area, I said. “Go to see if your mum needs some help, Mario.” He went inside to find his mum while I turned the car around.

Sitting behind the wheel waiting for him to return, playing with the different buttons on the steering wheel, trying to figure out what they do. That’s when I noticed the same youth’s which were harassing customers last time I came here. Pressing the button to open the window so I can hear what was going on. Who ever went into the shop or left they would say some comment or stand in front of them. Getting ready to get out of the car to say something. That is when I saw Mario’s mum coming out with him behind carrying some bags.

“Hey, mummies boy chase after mum like a little dog!” A tall youth wearing a baseball cap said.

Mario carried on walking behind his mum not even turning back. His mum got in the car, he then handed the bags to her to put on the seat then closed the door. As he came around the car to get in. The Baseball cap started walking towards the car with his peers following, cursing and swearing trying to provoke Mario.

“Leave him alone Johnny.” A young lady said.

Baseball Cap turns towards her hitting her in the face with the back of his hand knocking her on the tarmac. He lifts his hand to swing at her again when Mario shouts. “Hey, Johnny Cap why don’t you try knocking me down.” Then Mario started walking towards him.

Opening the car door ready to jump out, but waited I wanted to see how Mario will deal with the situation.

“Go and help him they might hurt him.” Mario’s mum said.

“He’s going to be alright,” I replied

Johnny Cap made fists with his hands and started throwing punches. Mario blocks whatever he swings at him by blocking them with his arm. He ducks a punch, at the same time bringing his fist into johnny’s gut knocking him over. With Johnny Cap on the tarmac trying to catch his breath, Mario helps the young lady up, walking her towards the car.

Holding the side of her face, she says to Mario. “I am ok you can let me go now.” When he released her, she just ran off into the night.

We dropped off his mum, he carried mum’s bags to the house for her. He delayed coming back a few minutes, probably having a chat with her. When he returned the rest of the way, we were both quiet. Entering the house, he said. “I shouldn’t have hit him.”

“Hey, Mario whatever you did was in self-defence. You weren’t going to wait for him to hurt you then hit back.”

He was turning out to be an incredible young man, always there when you needed him. Every day in the morning we would get ready for our morning run. To my surprise a week after the incident with the youth outside Tesco I was on my 10-kilometre when my Fitbit bleeped on 4-kilometres for Mario to turn back, he carried on with me doing his first 10-kilometre run. When we finished, I asked. “How did that feel?”

The last couple of kilometres I wanted to give up, but I forced myself. On the final 500 metres, the pavement felt it was flowing under my trainers.” He said as he was trying to catch his breath back.

“If your tyred and want to skip the rest of the exercise there is no problem,” I said.

“From now on we finish our morning ritual together.” Was his reply.

It was a cloudy Wednesday morning, I had just dropped off Mario at the college, making my way to the gym I noticed Father Petrou at the entrance waiting for me. Getting out of the car I made a quick sprint to get inside as it started raining hard. “Good morning Father, what a day. What brings you to these parts of the woods.” I said.

“Good morning George, I have a small favour to ask of you?”

“Tell me, Father.”

“You had a small encounter with some teenagers outside Tesco a few days ago?”

I corrected him by telling him what happened. “It wasn’t me who had the encounter, it was Mario who was not at Fort at all.”

“No, I’m not saying that Mario did anything, It’s just those youths came to see me early this morning, asking me to ask you if they could join the gym?”

“Father Petrou you know my doors are open to anyone.” On saying that he pulled out his mobile to call someone. When he finished, he smiled as he put it back in his pocket.

A few minutes later a group of teenagers strolled into the gym. All wet like they had just been dipped in a barrel of water, then pulled out. “Ok everyone you’re making my floor wet. Changing rooms are over there. Boys on the left and girls on the right, you will find some dry towels, get dry.” Directing them with my hand.

Looking back at Father Petrou I said. “I see you have found a way to do God’s work faster with your mobile.”

Punching me lightly on the shoulder he said. “Did you notice the girl with the black eye. That is Angela, she came with her mother to talk to me, telling me what happened that evening.”

Since the incident outside Tesco Mario has been finding some excuse to stop at that particular store to buy something we need. He didn’t say anything, but I had an idea who he wanted to see again.

It was 2 pm when Mario came from college with a backpack on his shoulder and a Tesco bag in hand. “Find what you was looking for at Tesco,” I said while looking at Angela who was behind him doing some stretching in front of the large mirror.

“I got the items we needed.” Lifting up the bag to show me.

“That means you didn’t find what you was looking for.”

“What do you mean by that?” Staring at me with a confused look on his face.

Looking at him I nodded my head for him to look behind him. Turning around he froze where he was standing. His backpack slowly sliding off his shoulder to the ground. On seen him through the reflection in the mirror she raised a hand to greet him. He slowly started to walk towards her. “Hey buddy you want to leave the Tesco bag with me,” I said. Handing me the bag he made his way to Angela.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.