Return - Cover

Return

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 7

When I woke up, it was still dark, checking my watch it was only 5 am, I got up to use the bathroom, on returning to my bed I noticed the light was on in the living room. Checking to see if Mario was ok, he was lying there watching TV with the volume very low.

“Hey, everything ok?” I said

He quickly got up. “Sorry for wake you, I had a terrible nightmare it woke me up, I couldn’t get back to sleep.”

“Mario you didn’t wake me up. You’re living here now make yourself at home, there is no need to ask me if you want to do something. I’m going for a run, we’ll go to have breakfast when I come back.”

He smiled then asked,”Is it ok to join you?”

“Of Course you can. be ready in ten minutes.”

Finding my running gear, I got ready then made my way to the living room. Mario was also ready to go. When we got outside, there wasn’t a single soul in sight. Mario was about to start running when I put out my hand to stop him.

“Before you start to do any form of exercise it’s best you stretch those muscles first to get them ready. That way you avoid any unnecessary injuries.” We did together some stretching for five minutes, showing him how to stretch the different muscles on your body.

“Now we can start our run, I usually do a 10-kilometre run, your just going to do 2-kilometres today. When you reach 1-kilometre, I will tell you to make your way back.” Handing him over a set of keys. “These are your keys, you will need them to get back in the flat. You don’t want to wait for a half-hour outside for me to return. Also, don’t forget five minutes of stretching when you finish.”

We started our run, trying to keep a pace that Mario could keep up with. He was doing ok for half-kilometre, then I noticed he began to get tired, slowing down a little, so he can finish his kilometre. When my Fitbit watch beeped on 1-kilometre, I said. “It’s time for you to go back.”

Picking up my pace, listening to my trainers every time they hit the pavement in the quietness of the night. Checking my Fitbit to see how much more I needed to run before reaching 5-kilometres, the date showed up, that is when I realised in a few day it will be my birthday.

Bringing back memories of the last time I celebrated my birthday with Sarah. She made my favourite Chinese meal. Sweet and Sour Prawns with rice. When we finished our meal, she reached into her bag, pulling out a little white box. Reaching out kissing me on my lips she said. “Happy Birthday my love.” Then handed me over my present.

Opening the box, inside was a small white gold cross on a matching white chain. Reaching over I kissed her. “It’s beautiful,” I said.

Putting my hand up to check that it was still there, then checking my fitness tracker it said 7-kilometres, I had done more kilometres. I turned around making my way back to the flat. On entering the living room, Mario was stretched out on the couch, as if he had just run the London Marathon.

I said. “Give it some time your muscles will get used to it.”

After my shower, we went to have some breakfast at a local cafe. From there we went to Tesco Extra in Tottenham for food, finishing off in Ikea for the bedroom suite. By the time we got back home it was 10 am. When we finished putting everything away, I made some phone calls to some removal companies to collect the gym equipment.

“There will be a van coming here at midday. Can you go with the driver to obtain the gym equipment from Goff’s to take it to St Barnaba’s Church? I have some other pressing business I need to take care of.” I said

“No problem.” he replied.

My mother-in-law and I had an appointment to see someone in the Italian Embassy to see if we can trace the name Gervasio Fabrizio in Italy. We were told it would take a week to check the records in Italy. If there is anything, we should know by Friday.

We also visited some close friends of Ian’s in Central London, again nothing a dead end. By the time we finished, we were both shattered. On the way back we stopped at a restaurant to have something to eat, both of us silent in our thoughts while we had dinner. By 10 pm we were driving back to Jacky’s house.

On reaching Wood Green, I said. “I need to stop somewhere for five minutes, is that ok?.”

“OK.” She replied.

Parking the car outside St. Barnaby’s Church, I noticed the lights were still on in the hall. “Good thing I came by, Mario forgot the lights on. Give me two minutes to switch off the lights.”

“Take your time.”

On approaching the entrance of the hall, the door was slightly open, I could hear talking inside. Preparing myself mentally I opened the door quickly to confuse any intruders inside. With my hands open ready to grab anyone who tried to run out. “What the Fu.” Good thing I didn’t finish off my sentence, as Father Petrou was standing in the middle of the hall.

“Hi George, Mario had some difficulty putting the equipment together, since I’ve work on the gear for so many years I came to help him. I hope this is how you wanted everything? The only thing left is the boxing ring which will go where Father Petrou is standing.” Mr Brown said.

Looking around the room at all the equipment in place, then where the boxing ring will go. I said. “I don’t know what to say, it’s perfect.” I was going to each piece of equipment just giving it a quick check when I heard Father Petrou speaking to someone.

“Are you ok may I help you.” He said.

Standing at the entrance was Jacky. “I am so sorry Jacky for making you wait in the car. I just got distracted, I’ll take you home straight away.” I said.

“Are you going to start fighting again.” She said.

“No, it’s a project we are trying to put together to help the youngsters in the community. You see Father Petrou, and I are working on helping kids get off the streets to learn something. We’ve just started the project. Hopefully, it will be successful.”

“You are such an incredible man George. Your back for one week and you are trying to help others. Sarah would have been very proud of you.”

Introducing Jacky to Father Petrou, I excused myself so they could talk. Went back to checking the equipment, at the same time explaining to Mario how each piece of equipment worked. Mr Brown occasionally explaining things in more detail.

When Father Petrou and Jacky finished their conversation, we left. “Father Petrou is excellent if you need someone to talk too,” I said.

“Yes, we have made arrangements to meet up. It’s time I spoke to someone about all this.”

When we reached her house, I walked her to the entrance, embraced her in a long hug then said. “Good night.”

The rest of the week went slowly, every morning I would go for my morning run. Mario would join me, going a bit further each day, when I got back, he would wait for me to do some pull ups and push ups together. After breakfast, it was straight to the gym, a few kids showed up half of them showed interest the other half left after a while. My mother-in-law would come to see Father Petrou every day, before leaving she would come to the gym to update me on our progress in finding my son.

Friday afternoon Mario and I were sparring in the ring when I looked over. Jacky was standing there, not looking too happy. Putting my hands up to tell Mario to stop, I went over to see if everything was ok.

“Are you alright?”

“They called me from the Italian Embassy, they have nothing. We will never find him, George.” That is when she started crying, putting her hand over her face.

Quickly embracing her, she put her head on my chest while I rubbed her back. I said. “Hey, we’ll think of something. There must be someone called Gervasio Fabrizio who has a three-year-old boy out there.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.