Restored
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

It was Monday morning, Ryan should be back today, maybe he could shed some light why Lisa will not reply to my calls or messages. All the running around the last couple of months had started to show on me. I was exhausted physically and mentally.

It was the first morning I hadn’t checked my mobile for any messages from Lisa. If she hadn’t sent a message all week, I don’t think she would send one know. Downstairs Patsy was showing the new girl the drinks behind the bar. That brought back memories when I first started working here.

“Hey, Patsy will you need me today? I wanted to have Ryan’s car ready for its MOT by Wednesday.”

“It’s going to be a quiet week this week, take a few days off, I have Barbara with me this week, she can help me. But Friday and Saturday I will need you.”

“Ok, Patsy.” grabbing my backpack I headed out.

My plan for today was to give the car a compound, putting the buffering adaptor on the drill I started from the back working towards the front, using the finest compound. Just to remove a thin layer of the paint to give it that showroom look. It was 5 pm when I’d finished with the buffering. I made myself a sandwich then went back to polish the car.

I was shaking the bottle of polish to mix it up when Ryan pulled up. Getting out of the car, with his night bag in hand he started walking towards me. He said, “Hello Steve. Can you come into the house.”

I felt a knot in my stomach. I knew there was something wrong. I went straight to the coffee machine filling it up with water. Standing next to it, waiting for the coffee to brew not once looking at Ryan, scared of what he might say. When the coffee was ready, I poured us a cup each. Sitting there, neither of us saying anything, I could feel the beating of my heart. “How long are you going to keep me in suspense?” I asked while staring at him.

Looking straight ahead not turning to face me, that is when I knew what he had to say was not going to be good. “Steve, she won’t be coming back, she will be starting work at her father’s company on Monday.”

Banging the mug on the table, a majority of coffee spilt over my hand, not moving a muscle when the hot liquid scorched my hand. “Lisa could have called me or at least sent a message to tell me!” I shouted.

Putting his hand on my shoulder, he said. “Son forget about her and move on with your life.”

“Forget her and move on you say. Since that day of the accident, I have been trying to move on.” Feeling a tear run down my cheek, I looked at Ryan and continued. Maybe your right I should move on, thank you for everything Ryan, you have been like a father to me.” Walking out of the house while putting on my jacket, jumping on my bike, within minutes I was on the A1 heading north.

Feeling the wind on my face, as the Yamaha glided past the cars on the A1. On the road for almost an hour, I checked the next sign coming up. “Peterborough 5 miles.” The following service station I pulled up parking near the entrance of the fast food restaurants. Having a quick meal at the Burger King, I then went to the Holiday Inn to see if they had any rooms available. Booking a room on B/B for two nights. Paying in advance, I told the receptionist, I didn’t want to be disturbed.

After having a shower, I climbed into bed. Lying there, flicking through the TV channels I came across one of my all time favourite movies. “Shane” I would watch it with my father and brother whenever it was on TV. Bringing back memories as I watched it, occasionally wiping the tears from my eyes. Near the end of the movie, I Watched Joey calling out to Shane to come back in the closing scene, while I drifted off to sleep.

“Go home Steve, Lisa is worried about you.” My father said as he walked away.

“Come back dad, come back.” He went further away as I called.

“Go home son!” He shouted from a distance.

Suddenly I woke up, looking around the room, it took me a few seconds to realise where I was. Looking at my watch it was 6 am. Quickly getting dressed, I made my way to the reception.

“Room 216 I would like to check-out, please.”

Pressing some buttons on the keyboard, the young lady looked up at me and said. “Sir you are due to check-out tomorrow, there will not be any refund if you leave today.” She said these words With a worried look on her face, waiting to see what my reaction would be.

Looking at her name tag, I said. “I tell you what Tina if you could get one of the waiters to bring me a Takeaway coffee, we are even?”

With a sigh of relief, she said. “Straight away Mr Rhodes.”

The ride back to Lemsford seemed longer than I thought. Once I got to the Inn, I noticed Patsy hadn’t opened yet. Running upstairs to my flat, I got ready, putting on my best clothes. Looking into the mirror my first impression was. “I need to get myself some new clothes.”

Going down the stairs I could hear Patsy’s voice, she was shouting at Billy again. “Get your ass down here!”

“What’s he done now?” I said as I reached the bottom of the stairs, finding Patsy standing there with both her hands holding her hips. When I was near enough to reach me, she swung her right hand, smacking me on the cheek, rattling my teeth to the core.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.