20 October 2007
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

The Falcon players scrambled off the bench towards their goalie, Jason Bennett, to celebrate their win. They congratulated him and each other on the hard-fought victory. The Kingston players gathered around their goalie, consoling each other in their tough loss, each one silently thinking about Peter.

The Falcon players then skated around center ice, raising their sticks to honour their loyal fans, and then began to skate off the ice. They had now won three games in a row, and their eight-game losing streak was becoming a distant memory.

“What can I say, Jim? Hayward has done it again for the Falcons,” Mark announced to the TV viewers.

“He certainly proved his thirteen points last night weren’t a fluke by following that up with a four-point game this afternoon. It’s incredible to believe that after only two games, Brad Hayward has twelve goals and five assists for seventeen points and now leads his team in scoring and, believe it or not, is tied for second place in the OHL, just one point out of first.”


Tyler Reeves, Captain of the Frontenacs, led the team toward center ice, with the others following behind him. This was very unusual, and the officials, anticipating a confrontation between the two teams, hurried to center ice.

“Hayward!” Tyler yelled. “Hey Brad!” He shouted louder. Brad turned, hearing his name, and noticed Reeves approaching. Tyler stopped at the center red line and, taking off his right glove, offered his hand.

“I want to thank you for helping Pete. You probably saved his life!”

“You’re welcome,” he replied to the unexpected gesture. They gripped hands, and the next Kingston player did the same.

“Mark, do you see what is happening on the ice? Every Kingston player is lining up to shake Brad Hayward’s hand. I’ve never seen anything like this before in a regular season game. There are only a few team sports where the players will interact at the end of a game, namely Professional football and basketball.”

“They must be thanking Hayward for his part in helping their player, who was injured in the first period,” Mark noticed.

The fans began to cheer for their sportsmanship, then started chanting, “Kingston, Kingston, Kingston!”

“Every player, including both goalies and the coaching staff, is joining the lineup. This is unprecedented for an opposing team to show this much respect for a player on the other team!” Jim added, witnessing this unusual show of sportsmanship.

Many of the Falcons had left the ice, and after being told what was happening, they returned to witness the event. One after another, the Kingston players shook Brad’s hand and gave him a tap of their stick to his shin pad as a thank you. One of the Falcon players began to slap his stick on the ice in salute to Brad, and the others joined in.

“Brad, what you did for Pete goes beyond playing hockey. Thank you so much!” Coach Green said, giving him a brief hug.

“I’m glad I was there to help him,” he modestly replied. The assistant coaches and training staff also thanked him. Once the last person had shaken Brad’s hand, the Kingston players raised their sticks as a thank you to the fans. That gesture was greeted with more appreciative cheers from the Falcons fans.

“Jim and Ken, in all my years of covering CHL hockey games, I’ve never witnessed a coming together of two teams like this for the common goal of an injured player. The closest resemblance is when the two teams shake hands at the end of a playoff series.”


Once the Kingston players had left the ice and the Falcons exited the ice, the three stars were announced. Wendy called Dan to ask for any news on Pete. She told him that the Falcons had won the game and what the Kingston players had done to honour Brad. Dan said they were in the third-floor waiting room, and Pete was out of surgery.

“And now for the three stars of tonight’s game. The third star, from the Kingston Frontenacs number 30, goalie Chris Manning!” Chris, minus his goalie mask, stepped onto the ice, raised his stick, clapped his gloves together, and saluted the crowd. The fans gave him an appreciative cheer and applause.

“The second star from your Belleville Falcons is number 30, goalie Jason Bennett!” Jason skated onto the ice and waved to the cheering crowd. Gliding past the penalty boxes, he tossed a rolled-up souvenir T-shirt into the stands, and young fans scrambled to be the first to catch it.

“And your first star of tonight’s game with three goals and an assist is number 27, Brad Hayward!” The fans erupted into long and loud applause for him. Brad skated onto the ice, waving to the appreciative fans. He tossed a T-shirt into the crowd as he skated towards Ken Morrison, standing by the Falcons’ bench.

“I’m with today’s first star, Brad Hayward. Another stellar performance from you this afternoon, and in two games played, you now lead your team in scoring,” Ken began, holding the mic for Brad to answer.

“We had a hard-fought game against Kingston; they are a very worthy opponent. We knew they’d come out playing a more aggressive game against us, and it showed with the swings in momentum. Jason should have been selected as the first star, not me. If it weren’t for his great performance in net today, we could have let in thirteen goals. He made several great saves at the right time to keep us ahead of the Frontenacs. Most importantly, we gained another two points on them in the standings.”

“I have to ask you, what was it like to experience the situation between you and Pete Kendall in the first period?”

“First of all, I’m really glad to hear that Pete is out of surgery. It was such a freak accident for him to be cut the way he was. It all happened so fast. At first, Pete thought I was the one who was cut, but then I saw the blood coming from him. I’m just happy that I was close by and could help him.”

“You are being very modest. Those few seconds were vital to his survival. Videotape reviews indicate he was cut by a skate from one of his own players. Did the fact that he was the one who had weeks before cracked several of your ribs weigh on your thoughts?”

“No, the thought never entered my mind. His injury happened so fast. He was a hockey player who was badly hurt, and I would have done the same thing no matter who it happened to.”

“There is a history between you and Pete Kendall that goes beyond hockey. Does that relationship enter into how you play against him?”

“I try not to think about it. I know Pete is my girlfriend’s brother, so there is that added competition between us. Abby makes sure that I shake hands with Pete or his brother Derek before we start every game. If you’ll please excuse me, Ken, I have to change and get to the hospital and see Pete.” Brad offered his hand and skated off the ice to the cheers of the remaining fans.


“Mark and Jim, if this weekend was any indication, I think we’re going to be hearing a lot more from Brad Hayward during this hockey season,” Ken stated, the camera cutting to Mark and Jim.

“I certainly agree with you, Ken. Jim, what do you make of Belleville’s wonder kid, Brad Wayward?”

“I see a hockey player who puts his team first above personal achievements. I’ve noticed he deflects praise to others and doesn’t take sole credit for his point totals. Since he puts the team first, let’s look at the Falcons now. They’ve won three in a row.”

“Five games ago, when Brad Hayward became an active member of the team, he coached in three and played in two. Five games ago, Kingston had fourteen points and Belleville five.”

“Now Kingston stands at eighteen, and Belleville is at twelve. Is it a coincidence that since Brad Hayward joined the team, the Falcons have points in every game? Although hockey is a team sport, there are times when the individual player can make a difference.”

“Now I’m wanting to look at our TV schedule to see when we’ll get to witness Brad Hayward and the Belleville Falcons,” Mark said.

“I was just handed a copy of our CHL broadcast schedule. The next time we’ll be able to witness Brad Hayward and the Belleville Falcons in action is on the 4th of January when they play these same Kingston Frontenacs,” Ken informed him and the viewers.


Brad entered the dressing room. The mood was a little subdued, though the team had won its third game in a row. “Jason, you should have been the first star of the game, not me. Kingston pressed hard in the third, and you kept us in the game,” Brad acknowledged, patting his padded shoulder.

He hurried to take a shower and dress. “Practice in the afternoon and video review,” Coach Stanton mentioned to the team.

“I’d like to stay and talk, guys, but I have to get to the hospital and see Pete,” Brad explained.

“Brad, you are something else,” Dale marvelled.

“I just like playing hockey on a great team!” He replied, and Jake hurried to join his close friend.

“Tell Pete, on behalf of the team, we wish him a speedy recovery and will be body checking us soon,” Dale offered.

“You know we’ll be mobbed by some fans wanting pictures and autographs,” Jake mentioned as he and Brad departed the dressing room.

“Call your mom and tell her we’ll take another exit and meet them in the parking lot.”

A few stragglers leaving the arena thought the two well-dressed boys were hockey players but didn’t ask them. “I feel guilty avoiding our fans, but this time, getting to Pete and our family is more important.”

Brad and Jake were waiting at Wendy’s car for the rest of the family. Diane and Brenda hurried the last few feet and hugged Brad.

“Oh wow, what you did for Pete! We’re so proud of you!” Diane said as they hugged them. Their low-cut, short-hemmed dresses had temporarily lost their sexual allure.

“I’m so proud of you, Brad, for helping Pete.” Wendy’s body pressed against his and Jake’s in a hug. “You both played a good game,” she said, unlocking the car, and they hurried to the hospital.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.