Port Security - Cover

Port Security

Copyright© 2017 by J.C. Miller

Chapter 1

Stefani Miles sat at her favorite table in the Waterfront Bar and Grill scanning the high panoramic view through the docks to the ocean. The huge cranes and container loaders added to the dramatic scene. Everyone from politicians, stevedores, Stefani, and other senior executives water here. Even ladies of the night are welcome and safe as long as they don’t solicit.

Marita served her martini and gave her a warm greeting. “Hey chief, you keeping your eye out for all the bad guys?”

Stefani ate her olives, focusing her experienced eye on the busy docks. She jumped when Barbara sat beside her. “God Stefani, you look like shit. What’s going on?”

Stefani twirled a strand of her long brown hair that she hadn’t cut since she left the Army. “Other than the normal chaos,” she took a deep breath, “Tony and I split last night.”

“You guys have been doing so well.”

“They offered him an obscene amount to take a six months contract in Afghanistan.”

“Twisted his arm again did they? I never believed he was through playing mercenary.”

Stefani’s tears fell. “It isn’t even the money. He just can’t get those thrills out of his system.” She wiped her eyes with her napkin held her head back, “I told him if he went I wouldn’t wait for him. He had a good job here.

“He said, ‘you’re one to talk. Ever since you took on that big 24/7 management job you go out all hours of the night for some crisis.’”

Just then Marita arrived with another martini and a handful of napkins. She then squeezed Stephani’s shoulders.

Barbara asked, “Don’t you ever regret taking that big security management job? What are you going to do now?”

“No, I thrive on it. Now? I’ll go to work in the morning, come home at night, change clothes, go to the gym, work my butt off, take a shower, go to bed, go to work in the morning...”

“Okay. I get it. Last time you went stir crazy. You didn’t go out and you stayed horny all the time.”

Stefani watched the huge crane load another container before she answered. “Well, I’ve been here an hour and no one has hit on me yet.”

“Uh, oh. Finish your drink. We’re getting some carryout and going to your house. We can’t talk here.”

“What about Bill? Aren’t you going home?”

“He’ll survive. I’m putting you to bed after we talk. Then I’ll go home.

“I’m sad for you but I’m glad. It won’t ever get better. You were miserable and scared last time, always dreading that phone call.”

“I hope Tony took me off his list of people to notify in case of emergency – or worse.”

“They say it’s better to get right back on the horse after you’ve been thrown. I know someone nice who can scratch your itch.”

Two weeks went by and Stefani heard nothing from Tony. She worried whether he still wanted her back as much as she wanted him.

One evening after Barbara left the bar, a man with Middle Eastern features wearing a suit approached her. She had seen him before and wondered if he was going to be first to hit on her. He spoke with a soft voice. “I believe you are Stefani Miles.”

She nodded. He continued, “I have something in this envelope I want you to see. Open it when you get home. I will call you on your land line in an hour.” He turned and walked away.

The bad photo of Tony in chains hanging from a wall shocked her. She resisted the immediate urge to vomit and had to sit as her tears flowed.

The man on the phone said in a pleasant voice, “This is Muhammad. I trust that you have seen Tony’s photograph. Your experience should tell you that we don’t care whether he lives or dies. What’s one more dead mercenary?”

“What is it you want?”

“In your position, you can create paperwork that will satisfy the Captain of the Port to allow our yacht to pass the security point. Tomorrow I will give you all the port documents necessary.”

“Everyone is on high alert. Even if I could do this, it will take a while.”

“Do not play games, Ms. Miles. You didn’t reach your position based only on your good looks. You will figure out how.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.