Young Life of White Tiger - Cover

Young Life of White Tiger

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 34 - Game 3/4

That night we were playing a lower class 2A team, that didn’t mean they were not any good, just that the school was classed differently to our class 3A depending on the number of students that attended the school.

Saying that, they actually were outclassed by our baseball team.

Our starting pitcher did it again, keeping them from scoring.

We did have a bigger crowd than the first week we played, whether it was due to the rally, or the fact we were winning I wasn’t sure, but it sure did spur us on.

Our bats started off hot, first batter got a single, second batter got a double moving the guy on first to third base. Ben got a single to bring home our first run. I kept the hitting streak alive, getting a solid hit on the second pitch, sending the ball to the outfield wall, I made it to second for a double and our guy on second made home, our fifth batter got a hit, but didn’t make it to first. Our sixth batter also got enough on the ball to allow Ben to score and me to get to third, the outfielders made a mistake, not throwing home to try and stop the run, though they did get our batter out at first. Nobel stood up and struck out to end the innings.

Our first four innings carried on in the same vein, our batters kept on getting some runs, while our pitchers and fielders only allowed them one run scored.

Coach told me to go warm up to pitch. I was happy to go, when I remembered I had done two innings in the last two games.

“Uh Coach, I don’t mean to question your strategy, but don’t we have a pitcher or two who haven’t had a chance yet, I have pitched his place the last two games.”

Coach gave me a look, I wasn’t sure if I had made a big mistake, but I looked across at the scoreboard, we were up 9-1, it would be a miracle if they could come back from that in the last innings. The Coach followed my look, shook his head in wonder, before telling me to bench it.

Our new pitcher went in, you could see he was nervous pitching for the first time, but he calmed down the more he played the innings, he did give up a few hits and they scored one more run off him, but when he walked in after the innings was over you could tell he was just happy he had the chance to play today.

Our starting pitcher got the game ball this week, the coach did hold me back to make sure everyone left before us, he thanked me for being a good team-mate letting someone else have a go on the mound, when everyone would have expected me to pitch.

“Coach I know I have a been a problem for you, with Coach Sharp wanting me to pitch, and you wanting me to field, but I have loved the time I have played in the first three games, remember I will be missing game five, so Russell would have been pitching in that game most likely, better if he has some experience today, rather than be nervous in that one.”

Coach just started laughing so much he almost doubled up, “Who is meant to be the coach here Owens?” he asked when he had enough breadth.”

“You are Coach.” I replied.

“Good to know, for a second there I thought you were.” With that he shoved me towards the door, I left with a smile on my face.

The other two teams didn’t fare too well in the Saturday games, the JV squad was demolished yet again, the varsity team also lost, but only after extra innings.

Monday everyone was talking about the game summaries in the newspaper, it had given breakdown of the box scores and a game summary from the reporter who had attended the pep rally:

Although the head coach for Putney High School, at a pep rally on Friday talked up his teams, the performance on the field didn’t quite reflect his confidence; the Varsity team is unlikely to make the playoffs after two losses in their first three games. With the three losses, and no sign of any improvement likely in the next game against the best team in the state, the Junior Varsity team will be lucky to get a win in any game this year. The surprising team is the freshman squad, with three dominant wins they are likely to be the only team for the school to come out with a winning season this year. It is just a shame there isn’t a state championship for the younger players, as this team if they keep on playing the way they are could have a chance to make the playoffs and even the final.

The players on the other two teams were embarrassed about the article, but the games played did tend to give credence to his article, the freshman players though were all being congratulated by students when they passed them in the halls.

Game four of the season for all the teams would be something different, we were playing away against the powerhouse of baseball in the state, most of the varsity team and the best players on the JV team made the conference all state squad each year. The teams without fail made the playoffs, winning a state championship almost every year for the last 5 yrs.

What was worse was it was a really long trip for us, nearly two hours in a car, it would probably take more than three in the school bus, which was unilateral hated by the players, I wasn’t having that, there wasn’t time to make arrangement through the booster club, so I got hold of Bill, he was to approach the principal and arrange for a modern bus to take our team to the game, he was also to get a bus or two if needed to attend to the Saturday’s games.

If there were several buses available locally, he was to book one or two more for the supporters to use, getting the principal to let the students know about the buses, which for a minimal fee would take them to the game for a lot cheaper price than the gas needed to drive a car that far.

The response was amazing. According to what Bill told me, for Friday’s game he had to arrange two buses for supporters. The same was needed for the two Saturday games, and it would cost me a chunk of money, but actually not much after collecting the minimal charge. After thinking about it for a second or two, I asked him to do the same all season for all away games, but to get the booster club involved, so we didn’t step on any toes.

Wednesday after our practice Jeff Nobel was sprouting off again in the locker room, he had got a few hits off the machine in the batting nets, that must have given him the confidence to go after me again, but he made a mistake, we had finished practice and were back in the locker room, when he came up to me, “Owens did you like my hits today, ready to admit that I am the better man, you should just tell the coaches you’re going to stop playing so the real men in the squad will get the playing time they deserve.”

What he hadn’t realized was Coach Sharp was close enough to overhear, he didn’t say anything but headed into the coach’s offices.

I wasn’t willing to risk a suspension from school from decking him on the spot, though I was really tempted.

Next thing Coach Stevens was right there. “I have had enough of your ego Mister Nobel, your stats in the games and your effort and performance in practice don’t match your mouth, as of now your dropped from the starting list, I will put in one of the other guys who has been trying his best in practice to get a shot at a starting slot. Now get the hell out of here before I think of a worse punishment for your attitude to one of your team mates.”

Jeff looked ready to argue, but Coach Stevens got right in his face, “Right Now Nobel!” I wasn’t sure that Jeff didn’t wet himself, if the coach had done that to me, I might, and he turned on the spot and ran out of the locker room. “I don’t want any more of this crap on this team, does everyone understand me now.” Yes Sir rang out loudly. We all left very quickly after that.

Friday when we congregated to get on the bus for the trip to the game, everyone but me was really surprised when a modern charter bus turned into the school parking lot.

There were no complaints as we piled on, it had comfortable seats, a toilet at the back and would travel a lot quicker than the usual rickety old school bus.

It was still a two hour drive, but we arrived in a lot better condition than we would have had we been forced to travel in the old school bus.

We got into the locker room, before we changed, Coach went through a new lineup he had worked up.

We had the original line up list still on the board, it stated the team in batting number order, that person’s field position and their batting performance so far.

1 Jerry 2nd Base P. Good

2 Dan Center P. Good

3 Ben Left Good

4 Jack Short S Good

5 Simon 3rd Base P. Good

6 Karl Right Average

7 Jeff 1st Base Poor

8 Raphael Catcher Poor

9 Tim Pitcher Poor

NOTE: P. Good means Pretty Good.

He then posted the new list for us to see.

1 Jerry 1st Base P. Good

2 Karl 3rd Base Average

3 Dan Center P. Good

4 Alan Right Average

5 Ben Left Good

6 Jack Short S Good

7 Raphael Catcher Poor

8 Simon 2nd Base P. Good

9 Tim Pitcher Poor

I thought it was a risky line up, splitting up the top of our order bats, but the coach must have a reason. I was pleased that he had picked Alan to replace Jeff Nobel, he put in much more effort even if his ability wasn’t amazing, you knew he would put everything into the game, and in some cases effort was just as important as ability.

When we got on the diamond, it was easy to see that this was going to be a different type of game, the stands were of a lot better quality than what we had at our school, not only that, most of the stands were full with fans. It was going to be a loud game, much louder than we had ever played in before.

It was nice to see an area of green and white, the colors of our school, amid the masses of blue and gold, the home team’s colors. It looked like most of our fans took advantage of the bus that was provided.

The coaches made sure to point out the bases and the mound and plate, saying they were in exactly the same position we were used to, ignore the better stands and crowd, and concentrate on just playing the game as we had in the first three games.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.