Young Life of White Tiger - Cover

Young Life of White Tiger

Copyright© 2017 by Anthill Mob

Chapter 32 - Game 2

Chapter 32: Game 2

Friday, it was time for game two of the season.

I was put in on the roster as shortstop again much to the angst of Nobel, he was still telling everyone he would be better there than as first baseman, but the rest of the team were getting bored of his boasting, he hadn’t been even that good in that position making a few mistakes in the first game, which luckily hadn’t cost us runs, his batting had been poor, he was in the order at seven, which also didn’t please him at all.

I wasn’t sure if it was him trying too hard, or if he actually wasn’t very good, but he hadn’t shown any of his bragged skills in practice either.

Our team’s supporters would have to travel this week, as we were playing on the other side of Albany, we didn’t expect much since it was only the freshman team, the two other teams were playing Saturday, so any support was more likely to go to them instead.

We boarded the bus right after school. We were all happy when we finally arrived after the long ride. There was a rush to get into the changing room to use the facilities.

When it came time for the game, it was obvious that the home team’s support was more than we would likely ever get, it was loud, I mean horns, cowbells and all sorts of noise that we didn’t get at the last home game.

We had a warm up period, where we got our arms loosened up. I had to do extra, since I needed to do defensive practice as well as some pitching in case I was called on again.

Mom and Dad made the journey to watch, I was surprised to see Rory and Gemma in the crowd with them, I was guessing my parents gave them a lift to watch the game, I was happy to see my friends come to support me, that just made me more determined to do my best, to make the long trip worth it for them.

Batting, we managed to work the pitcher, of the first three batters, there were balls, fouls and strikes before they got a hit, two managed good enough hits to reach base, so when I got to the plate, we had runners on first and second.

When watching the pitcher for the first three guys, I thought I had noticed a ‘tell’, it was only for when he threw his fastball, but I saw it, and if it was correct, I had a good chance of getting a really good hit, since he had a quicker fastball then any I had seen other than watching a college game.

His first pitch, he did the ‘tell’ I got ready for his fastball, I was right and I was able to get all of it with the meat of my bat, it came off high, but flying well. I set off running, trying to keep an eye on it, but lost it in the glare of the outfield lights.

I was waved through first base, when I got to second the coach on third called me on, when I got to third, the coach slapped me on the butt to show me to keep running, I concentrated on the catcher, but he wasn’t even paying attention, it was only as I got my foot on home base, that I realized that it must have been a home run. What a way to start a game, my first home run. A three run shot over the centerfield wall. It made me feel especially good that I got it when Rory and Gemma had come to see me play.

The pitcher got the rest of the team out quickly, only one got a good enough part of the ball to get to first base, it gave me a bizarre sense of satisfaction to see Nobel strike out, it wasn’t good for the team, but that didn’t diminish the sense of justice I found about all his put downs.

We took to the field to try and defend our lead. The first pitch the batter got a good hit, it was looking like it was going over me to my right, but with a launch from my legs, I was able to get high enough to snag it in my mitt, I landed half on my back, which knocked the wind from me momentarily, but I held my mitt up with the ball still in it. The next two batters were unable to get on base even with both getting a hit, both went straight to one of our guys who threw to Nobel, our first baseman, to get the other two outs.

We ran into the bench, I got a number of pats for the great catch, I was really grateful for those, it seemed like the rest of the team were starting to appreciate my efforts, noticeably Nobel wasn’t one of those that gave me a pat.

Our pitcher Tim, was the most noticeable in his appreciation, he had started really well, and that would have put a dent in his figures if it had got past me.

We only had the bottom of our order at the start of the next innings, I had spoken to the coach about the ‘tell’ I had seen, he passed it on to all the batters, that transferred into a few hits, three getting on base and one out with a sacrifice fly. When Ben came in to bat, he also got a good hit, putting runners on all the bases.

I didn’t expect I could repeat a home run, not expecting the same pitcher to give me another fastball. He was obviously their best pitcher, so he was doing two innings. I was right I didn’t get a ‘tell’ off him, so had to work a hit off of a curveball, I got a decent hit though, it was a grounder, but it went past their shortstop into the outfield, I was told to stop at first base by the coach, only because Ben couldn’t chance running for third where the ball had landed. But the other two guys had run home to increase our lead.

The pitcher got the next two batters out, which put Nobel up first in the next innings. If he and the other tail end performed like they had so far we wouldn’t get on base, but we should be back to the top order hopefully to increase our lead next innings.

Our second pitcher gave up a run again in the second innings, but worked hard to limit them to only one.

Nobel got a hit finally, but it wasn’t good enough to beat the infielder, who threw to first before he could get there despite his desperate slide for the base. As I thought our number eight and the pitchers both got out to finish the third innings.

Our third innings pitcher didn’t have a good day, giving away a walk to start with a wild pitch, he battled hard, but they still came out of the innings with two runs. It wasn’t too bad though we came in to bat still in the lead.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.