Lyrissa Shander - Cover

Lyrissa Shander

Copyright© 2017 Soelanar Entertainment Inc.

Chapter 6

“That’s a rather revealing statement, Ms. Shander,” Doctor Ju-Zei Wun said. “I appreciate your candor.”

Lyrissa Shander examined Doctor Wun with her full capabilities. She used her three most well-developed senses: her keen ears, her insightful green eyes and her highly attentive mind.

Doctor Wun’s voice was even and unhurried, resonating with gentle tones of acceptance. With ears trained by her early life on the movie set and now refined in conference calls and boardrooms, Lyrissa listened keenly for false airs or undertones. Even a brief hesitation or trembling voice would provide crucial hints to the doctor’s character.

Lyrissa’s eyes followed Doctor Wun’s motions as the hand holding his datapad fell to his side. His head inclined towards her and his eyes widened a little more than usual. She classified these telltales as body language meant to communicate his openness and to signal she had his undivided attention.

Overall Lyrissa judged that Doctor Wun wanted to put her at ease and gain her trust. Which wasn’t out of line for a good doctor with a new patient.

Doctor Wun shrugged. “Yet candid as your statement was it can also be a little vague,” he explained apologetically. “In everyday speech ‘losing your mind’ can cover anything from forgetting your car keys to any manner of psychological ill being.”

Lyrissa’s mind weighed her conversational options in the blink of an eye. She voiced a response which sounded casual but was in truth anything but.

“Well my drivers have never forgotten the keys,” she said dryly. “So unfortunately I meant the latter.”

Doctor Wun chuckled at Lyrissa’s little joke. From the degree of crinkling she noted at the corner of his eyes she gave it a better than even chance of being authentic. She returned a genuine smile of her own.

But the reason behind her smile wasn’t what Doctor Wun thought.

Some people spoke just to hear their own voice and others to relay a simple, one-dimensional message. But to Lyrissa every conversation was an intricate puzzle with every phrase and gesture a piece in that puzzle. The picture she was putting together of Doctor Ju-Zei Wun - from his attitude to his sense humour - was that of a doctor who truly seemed to care.

Lyrissa glanced to the other side of her hospital bed. Orthin dun Maltos regarded her in return, his face expressionless. Just as she was solving a puzzle for Doctor Wun, Lyrissa had been doing the same for Orthin ever since they met. But in Orthin’s case her motivations were personal and her observations more challenging. She admitted to herself that Orthin’s emotional guardedness actually served as part of the attraction she felt for him.

Aside from his intelligence, handsome face, interesting history and commanding presence that is, she thought somewhat wryly.

Lyrissa turned back to the doctor. She kept the softer smile she felt within from her lips.

“I’ll try to be more clear, Doctor Wun,” she told him.

Lyrissa directed her eyes to one of the paintings on the wall as she pretended to gather her thoughts. But the reality was that having visited a dozen different doctors in less than half as many years she’d grown familiar with answering ‘baseline’ questions about her well-being.

On the other side of Lyrissa’s bed Orthin dun Maltos crossed his arms casually in front of his chest, his face still lacking any expression. At least ... for the most part. With her eyes on the painting - a colourful landscape of a waterfall at sunset - and her thoughts turned inwards, Lyrissa didn’t notice the concern which Orthin allowed to briefly reach his dark brown eyes.

“What I’ve felt leading up to my episodes of unconsciousness is a loss of self.” Lyrissa turned back to face Doctor Wun. “It’s as if my feelings are no longer my feelings. Or at least ... not what I like to believe my normal feelings are.”

Lyrissa studied the doctor closely as she spoke. There was no hint of judgement on his face.

“That’s very helpful, Ms. Shander,” Doctor Wun said. “I know it can’t be easy to talk about. But describing your state of mind in your own words helps you as much as it helps me.”

Lyrissa nodded. “I understand, my previous doctors...”

A change in lighting or colour drew her attention to the wall-mounted television past the foot of her bed. Her eyes took in the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen and widened with surprise.

Orthin had already pivoted on his heel to see what she was looking at before she even spoke. Doctor Wun turned around more slowly. But when he saw the television screen his eyes widened as well.

“There’s ... there’s a remote control built into the side of the bed.” Doctor Wun stammered.

Lyrissa glanced down quickly. She spotted the controls and pressed the button marked MUTE.

“-st getting word that the Avatar Empress is ready to begin. We’re cutting now to the live feed from the Imperial Palace in Astagar.”

The voice was that of the troll reporter speaking on the screen. The footage of the sporting event had been interrupted by a shot of a television news room. Bold words highlighted in red scrolled along the bottom of the screen and had immediately drawn Lyrissa’s attention.

BREAKING NEWS: STATE OF EMERGENCY IN MERTH. EMPRESS DALVOER MOBILIZES IMPERIAL MILITARY.

Lyrissa, Orthin and Doctor Wun watched in silence as the television cut to a new scene.

“My fellow Soelanarans,” Empress Shalini Dalvoer said. “I stand before you bearing grave news.”

The new caption superimposed along the bottom of the screen read: SHALINI DALVOER, AVATAR EMPRESS OF THE SOELANAR EMPIRE. The Avatar Empress was outfitted very formally in full military dress uniform. She wore a scarlet red jacket with golden epaulets and golden dress pants. As Empress - and thus commander of all branches of the Soelanar Empire’s military - her uniform was unique, though it shared elements common to each of the services. Instead of the Iron Crown she wore the Iron Sword in a scabbard which hung off her belt. The symbolism of wearing her military uniform instead of civilian attire and the Sword instead of the Crown was meant to be quite obvious.

The Avatar Empress was preparing the Soelanar Empire.

“In the early hours of the morning the Duke of Merth and Baroness of Durant submitted a formal request to the Imperial Government,” Empress Shalini continued. She stood alone on a podium before an enlarged version of the Imperial Seal. “Their request was for permission to declare a State of Emergency in Merth. As Avatar Empress it is within my sole authority to grant such a request and after due consideration I did so. After meditation on the will of the Ancestors I have also ordered the Imperial Soelanaran Army, Navy and Airforce to a heightened state of alert.”

The ruler of the Soelanar Empire - the most powerful nation on Torvus - looked directly into the camera. Lyrissa felt like the Empress’ eyes were staring through the camera and into her very soul.

“As you already know the Imperial Province of Merth recently suffered a Demonic Incursion. The Order of Lightbringers dispatched one of their best squads led by an Oathbinder Trevor Blythe, who is from all accounts an experienced and accomplished leader. The Lightbringers were ambushed by an unusually large force of void demons. After defeating the ambush and further investigating the area, Oathbinder Blythe determined the demonic threat had grown even higher than they initially believed.” Lyrissa - along with countless viewers across Torvus - gasped softly as Avatar Empress Shalini Dalvoer’s eyes ignited with azure soulfire. “Potentially much higher, which is why I have authorized the precautionary steps that I have. But with the strength of our resolve, the courage of the Lightbringers and our military forces, and the guidance of the Ancestors, I am confident we shall prevail.”

From there the Avatar Empress went on to discuss matters pertaining to the evacuation of Merth’s citizens. Lyrissa broke the silence in the room as she spoke to Orthin dun Maltos.

“Do you still have family in Merth?” Lyrissa asked quietly. “I remember you telling me you grew up there.”

“Some extended family,” Orthin replied in a subdued voice. He turned his shoulder slightly so that he was partially facing her but his eyes remained glued on the television. “An aunt and a cousin. They didn’t live in Durant but this new order is province-wide so they’ll be evacuating now.”

Lyrissa’s ears caught a change in the tone of the Avatar’s voice and she turned her attention back to the screen. Where before Empress Shalini had maintained a calm and professional demeanor, now she stood in a slightly more relaxed manner and her stern expression had softened.

“I extend my personal condolences to those who have lost family to the initial Demonic Incursion. I speak on behalf of our Empire when I promise that their deaths will not go unavenged. But it is not only the brave troops in our military who can support the Order of Lightbringers in their efforts both in Merth and across Torvus. Every one of us can contribute to the fight against the Void. Individual citizens can donate money or supplies to the Lightbringers’ cause as can our generous corporations. This very day, the aerospace engineering firm Eclipse Transport has quietly done its part. They will supply their most state-of-the-art armed drones to the Lightbringers below cost. I applaud Eclipse Transport and their parent company Prism Corporation for their selfless generosity.”

Lyrissa’s eyebrows rose as soon as she heard Shalini mention Eclipse. They went higher again when she included Prism. It was an uncharacteristically forthright and unambiguous endorsement from the ruler of the Soelanar Empire on behalf of two private corporations. Especially since the last Lyrissa recalled, the same government had been strongly opposed to the previously mentioned generosity.

“So does this mean the military will back off on its threats to Eclipse?” Lyrissa said wryly. “Paula must be thrilled to be hearing this.”

The reaction of the two men was not at all what she’d expected when she spoke. Orthin flinched as if she’d physically struck him, then glanced towards Doctor Wun. The actions of the Mashalan doctor - until then totally absorbed in the Empress’ broadcast - was even more telling. Doctor Wun spun on his heel then looked at Lyrissa with an expression that seemed almost alarmed.

It would have taken someone much less perceptive to not notice such pronounced reactions. Nor did it take much effort to come to a distinct conclusion.

“Unless Paula already knows Eclipse has been cleared of such worries,” Lyrissa continued calmly. Her green eyes met Orthin’s brown ones as they exchanged a look. Then she turned to Doctor Wun.

Lyrissa regarded the doctor thoughtfully, her eyes studying his face. Behind Orthin and Doctor Wun the broadcast from the Avatar’s Palace ended and the television returned to the troll reporter in his newsroom. Lyrissa reached for the controls beside the bed and found the volume button by feel, reducing the volume to a background level.

“Tell me, Doctor Wun,” she said. “What’s it like to read a person’s soul?”

Doctor Wun appeared startled by the question as well as confused. “I’m sorry, I don’t see how... ?”

“Just curious really,” Lyrissa admitted. She leaned back in the bed. It was surprisingly comfortable. For a hospital bed at least. “Especially since my own soul was the one involved.”

Doctor Wun shook his head. “Please don’t trouble yourself. I only observed your recent memories and nothing else.”

“Oh ... I’m not troubled,” Lyrissa said calmly. “I should be, I know. As someone who’s distrusted magic for most of her life - especially necromancy - I should be much more than concerned. But I appreciate your calming influence.” She gave the wide-eyed doctor a genuine smile. “I haven’t felt this clear headed and free of suspicion in so long I hadn’t even realized it.”

Even before she’d become an actress Lyrissa had spent years studying people’s faces. It had fascinated her how expressive they could be not only with humans but trolls as well. She’d spend long hours in public places simply watching people go about their daily lives. Her training as an actress had simply formalized what she’d already observed for years before.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.