Lyrissa Shander - Cover

Lyrissa Shander

Copyright© 2017 Soelanar Entertainment Inc.

Chapter 1

Lyrissa Shander walked out of the private clinic and entered the limousine.

Belica Meadows, Lyrissa’s friend and personal assistant, was waiting inside. “How’d it go?” she asked as the chauffeur closed the door behind Lyrissa then returned to the driver’s seat.

“Well enough,” Lyrissa sighed. “I just wish the doctors would let me do the treatments more often.”

Belica’s brow crinkled slightly. It was about as close as the cheerful woman’s expressive face ever got to showing disapproval. “You know why that can’t happen, Babes. Even the Lightbringers only use it when they have to and they’re the ones who developed the technology. Too many vivifications can be dangerous.”

“So can... whatever this is that I have,” Lyrissa said bitterly.

Belica leaned across the space between them and gripped her friend’s hand in hers. The limousine started to move while Lyrissa turned to look out the tinted window. The city streets of Hacon’s Vision rolled by as she stared sightlessly.

After a time spent in silence, Lyrissa turned back to her friend. She returned the comforting squeeze then let Belica’s hand go and changed the subject.

“What’s the latest word on the Portent breach?”

“The C.E.O. says they’re still investigating,” Belica replied. “So far Software Engineering is inclined to think the attempted hack was unsuccessful.”

“Good, but I want him to keep on it until they’re completely sure.” Lyrissa smiled wryly. “Obviously he will anyway but a little pressure from the boss never hurt anyone.”

“I’ll tell him you looked unhappy when you asked about him,” Belica said and Lyrissa smiled.

“I want you to see the head of Prism’s newest security team after you return to Astagar,” Lyrissa added.

Belica nodded and penned an entry into her pocket notebook. Lyrissa shook her head; she owned one of the largest developers of consumer communications electronics and software in the world, yet her personal assistant still insisted that nothing kept her thoughts better organized than pen and paper.

“Sure thing,” Belica agreed. “When we last spoke, she wanted me to tell you her team was grateful for the gifts.”

Lyrissa gestured with her right hand as if to throw something away. “Portent’s internal security protocols would probably have stopped the probe anyways, but the tip gave them additional warning. Besides, this team you convinced me to assemble is still new and I want them to know that hard work is rewarded.”

“Espionage will become a bigger threat as Prism continues to expand,” Belica pointed out somewhat defensively. “It just makes sense to have our own watchdogs.”

“I agreed with you then and I still agree with you now,” Lyrissa soothed and her friend settled back into her seat.

Belica flipped a page in her notes. “Baxter & Bradley reports that earnings are up in Delmire,” she said. “All stores have completed renovations last quarter and sales have increased, mainly due to increased traffic.”

“Good,” Lyrissa replied, “I’ll review the details when we’re done at Eclipse.”

A soft tone sounded. A light started to blink beneath the darkened partition between the driver and passengers. Lyrissa toggled the illuminated button and a digital map appeared on the partition before her. It displayed the vehicle’s projected route and estimated time of arrival.

“Five minutes,” Belica observed. “We made good time despite the traffic.”

Lyrissa pressed another control and the map was replaced by a real-time video of herself and Belica seated in their seats. She used the mirror function to check her ponytail for loose strands.

“Your hair is perfect, Babes,” her friend reassured her. “So’s your outfit, you look amazing.”

“I hate going to these things,” Lyrissa grumbled.

The brunette smiled wistfully. “Not all receptions are bad, Babes. We’ve been to some great ones together - remember?”

Lyrissa did remember but her own smile didn’t last long. “That was before,” she said.

Belica’s guileless face saddened. “We’ll beat this. We have to.” Lyrissa didn’t respond. “I can still make some excuse if we need it,” Belica offered. “Mrs. Perez is good people - she’ll understand.”

“I won’t blow Paula off for no reason,” Lyrissa relented. “I’ll be fine.” She sighed and ran her fingers through her blonde hair. “Sorry Belica. The treatments help but they also remind me of how bad it’s been getting.”

“I know Babes, I wish I could do more. I’ve searched everything I can think of.”

“So have I and so has every medical professional we’ve hired.”

“What about contacting more druids?” Belica asked.

Lyrissa’s lip curled into a sneer almost instinctively. “Those charlatans, with their ‘bloodlines this’ and ‘life force that’. You did well suggesting the vivification chamber, at least runic magic is based on sensible rules. I’ll stick with those for as long as they work.”

Belica fidgeted with her pen. “What about a -” she started to say.

“No,” Lyrissa interrupted, voice flat. Belica sighed.

The limousine turned into the front driveway for an office tower and rolled to a stop, then the chauffeur exited the vehicle and walked around the side to open Lyrissa’s door. She eased out of the vehicle with Belica behind. A two-person escort awaited them: a tousle-haired young man in a light grey business suit and a tall woman with opaque sunglasses in a dark suit.

The young man stepped forward. “Ms. Shander. Ms. Meadows,” he said. “Welcome to Eclipse Transport. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you both. I’m David Wozniak, Mrs. Perez’s Executive Assistant.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Lyrissa said politely and shook his hand.

“Hi!” Belica smiled brightly.

David gestured to the doors behind him. “If you’ll follow me, I’ll show you upstairs.” He turned around to lead them to the building. His stern-looking female companion in the dark suit preceded them to the entrance and held the glass door open for the rest of the group. When everyone else had entered, she silently brought up the rear.

Inside the lobby they all walked to the front desk where the receptionist handed their guide a pair of guest passes. He thanked her, signed a paper resting on the counter, then gave one each to Lyrissa and Belica. They moved towards the elevators where several Eclipse Transport employees already waited. Most were dressed casually due to the company’s relaxed dress code. One woman turned to eye the group of people in business suits curiously. She did a doubletake and her eyes widened as she focused on Lyrissa.

“Hey,” the woman blurted after she nudged a companion with her elbow. “Isn’t that Lyrissa Shander?” The gawker hadn’t spoken loudly but she also hadn’t tried to lower her voice. Her companion turned to look but so did a handful of other curious people.

Lyrissa sighed with annoyance. She heard the woman in the dark suit shift behind her as the security staffer moved in more closely.

Lyrissa’s public renown had been gained during her acting career and her face remained highly recognizable to many people. Even though she no longer sought public adulation as a private citizen and the owner of Prism Corporation, her fame would no doubt continue to be a factor for the rest of her life.

David moved to deflect attention from Lyrissa and stepped forward with a smile. “Please everyone,” he addressed the curious employees. “We have a meeting to get to on the eleventh floor. We’ll just nab the next elevator for ourselves if you don’t mind - I’m so sorry for the inconvenience.”

The young man’s charm and unsubtle reference to the top floor - generally the exclusive domain of Eclipse executives - worked their magic. The woman who had recognized Lyrissa blushed while the other employees murmured polite acquiescence to the request. When an elevator arrived and several people exited, Lyrissa and Belica stepped inside followed by their guide and silent security escort. No one else stepped forward but the security escort blocked the entry with her body until the doors closed.

“I apologize for the distraction,” David said ruefully. “That’s why I came myself and brought my taciturn friend from Security.”

“No need to apologize, but thank you for handling it,” Lyrissa replied.

“Yes thank you and to you as well, ma’am,” Belica addressed the woman from security. “I’ll be sure Mrs. Perez is made aware of our respect for the professional manner in which you handled yourselves.” The stoic security staffer acknowledged Belica with a very small smile and a nod but remained mute.

The elevator slowed to a halt and the doors opened. Lyrissa, Belica and David stepped out onto their floor while the security staffer remained behind. David walked over to the set of glass doors which separated the elevators from the rest of the floor. He swiped his identification badge at the card reader beside the doors and the magnetic locks released. Even while the doors had been closed, Lyrissa’s acute hearing had been able to pick up faint music coming through from the other side. Once the doors opened, the music became loud enough for Belica to notice.

“I love this song!” Belica exclaimed. “Sounds like the party’s already in full swing.” The trio followed the melody through plush corridors.

“I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call it a party,” David remarked wryly. “The speeches were all done and no one fell asleep before I left - so it’s got that going for it, I guess.”

“Paula and her team must be a pretty lively bunch,” Lyrissa said. “If it were just me with the Prism crowd, the snores would be drowning out the music by now.”

Belica smiled. “I’ll be sure to invite our new friends to all our future meetings. Maybe they’ll rub off on you.” Lyrissa frowned with mock severity but Belica just giggled in response while David observed the byplay with amusement.

They came to a closed set of conference room doors. “Here we are,” David said and turned to Lyrissa with an eyebrow raised. “Shall we?” he asked. Lyrissa nodded and he opened the door.

Music enveloped them as they stepped into a scene of a typical high level corporate reception. People in business suits - human men and women primarily, but also a respectable number of trolls of both genders - clustered throughout the room as they conversed and sampled the hors d’oeuvres. When the doors opened, several of the closest people turned to see who the newest arrivals were. An older woman with silver-coloured hair and olive-toned skin excused herself from the conversation she’d been having and came to welcome them personally.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.