Damen Hitema - Cover

Damen Hitema

Copyright© 2017 Soelanar Entertainment Inc.

Chapter 6

Damen Hitema rose to his feet from where he’d been sitting with Xi-Pen Lao and gathered with the other members of his squad.

The Lightbringers stood together in a rough circle, resplendent in their reflective white bodysuits. The light of the electric lamps reflected off their armour, recognized by sight around the world. Independent of any government and sworn to their mission of destroying demons, the Order of Lightbringers were upheld as mythic champions of light even in the darkest night.

“Our mission has changed,” Oathbinder Trevor Blythe said. “By now you’ve no doubt come to suspect the same thing I have. That there’s a second voidreaver.”

Though extremely unpredictable in many dangerous ways, Demonic Incursions did follow certain established patterns. Scores of lesser demons - the monstrous, swarming voidspawn - scoured an area in a voracious hunt for life to consume. The expendable minions were directed by voidwights, more powerful and cunning though less numerous. But the voidwights actually answered to a single, greater demon. The true threat of an Incursion.

A voidreaver. Hulking beast of pure darkness and nearly unstoppable rage. The embodiment of terror and chaos.

The Void Itself incarnate.

“But how did the original reaver grow strong enough to divide?” Brother François Siòn asked.

Damen glanced at Horgal to find the Master Necromancer already looking back.

“Unreported casualties,” Damen said out loud, recalling their private mental conversation.

“It would take a lot of stray pets and abandoned farm animals to translate into the number of demons we’ve already seen,” Drue said quietly. “Demons thrive off sapient life the most. That means somewhere out here, innocent trolls and humans were consumed by the Void.”

“Not so innocent as fate would have it.” Oathbinder Blythe turned to Horgal. “Master Lad’ja, would you be so kind as to share your mission with my team?”

“It would be my pleasure, most honourable Oathbinder,” the green-skinned troll replied with a bow.

Alone of those brave souls gathered together in the aftermath of the battle with the demons, Master Horgal Lad’ja Tanegra’ma appeared the least suited to being there. She wasn’t wearing the signature white bodysuit the Lightbringers wore nor did she bear any visible weapons. Dressed in the formal black uniform of the Imperial Guild of Necromantic Magic, Horgal looked like she should be as far from a battlefield as possible.

Yet Damen of all people was well aware of the truth. It was written in the dense white markings which tattooed her green-skinned face, continuing down her neck and past the collar of her uniform. These naturally occurring markings were clear signs of her advanced maturity to all who knew the long-lived troll race. The truth of her experience was also evident in her confident stance and the occasional flicker of flame in her wise, orange eyes.

Aside from Damen himself and possibly Xi-Pen Lao the troll Master Necromancer was actually the most dangerous individual present.

“Brave companions,” Horgal began in her flowery and - to modern ears - archaic form of speech. “It is with heavy heart that I inform you of a darkness in fair Durant. One which festered long before the demons invaded.”

Horgal paused briefly to let her audience absorb this news. Her orange eyes drifted from face to face, as if to assess the impact of her words.

“The I.G.N.M. came to suspect the influence of corrupt necromancers within the province of Merth,” she continued. “I speak for the Guild when I assure you all ... the fact that such evil was allowed to find root pained us greatly. I was dispatched to investigate as soon as we realized our negligence. What I discovered was that none other than the infamous Cult of the Black Rose was involved.”

The Cult of the Black Rose was a name to inspire dread. A secretive society of corrupt and immoral necromancers, nowhere on Torvus was immune to their dark ambitions.

“I was only just beginning to investigate the scope of their foul presence when the Demonic Incursion occurred,” Horgal continued. “In light of this overarching threat, I contacted your Order to offer my humble services and share what information I had on the Cult. The rest, as they so aptly say, is history.”

“What this means for us is that the demons likely found this cult and killed them,” Blythe stated bluntly. “While I normally wouldn’t lose sleep over the timely end of such madmen we now have no way of knowing how strong the demons have become.”

“Well ain’t that the blighted son of an ornery dragon matriarch,” Damen grunted with a shake of his head. “Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving group of crazies, though.”

Horgal settled her orange eyes on the crystalline spear at Damen’s side. “If the Guild’s information is correct then this ancient and vexingly persistent cult predates even your most puissant weapon. Indeed, according to your Order’s own histories the Cult of the Black Rose was indirectly responsible for the creation of your bloodsword and the Order of Lightbringers itself. You surely know this better than I.”

“So the story goes,” Damen nodded. “Stel-” he interrupted himself and saw Blythe quirk a smile. “Sister Stella dun Lopen - our lead technical specialist back at our Chapterhouse - idolizes her ancestor, Anica dun Lopen. She talks about her - and good old Angry Betty here - all the time.”

Horgal smiled. “I see your irreverent attitude hasn’t changed in the least, old friend. You share that in common with Anica.”

The Lightbringers all reacted with varying degrees of surprise. Even the normally unreadable Xi-Pen Lao’s eyebrows lifted almost imperceptibly.

“You’ve actually spoken to her?” Oathbinder Blythe asked. “Anica dun Lopen? Founder of the Order of Lightbringers and original wielder of Brother Hitema’s most tongue-twistingly named weapon: ‘Boetiadre’s Vengeful Wrath, the Last Blade of the Red Sisters’?”

“We spoke years ago,” Horgal nodded. “It was another Master Necromancer who contacted her soul but I was fortunate to join them. Anica dun Lopen was a remarkable woman in life and is a font of wisdom in death. If she is watching us now I believe she would be quite impressed by your tactics, honourable Oathbinder. As much as she would be amused by Damen’s name for her old weapon.”

Damen grinned at Horgal’s words. He couldn’t wait to share them with Stella when the mission was complete.

Oathbinder Trevor Blythe looked taken aback for a moment, then increasingly pleased. “Thank you, Master Necromancer. We take the fact that the Ancestors watch over us so much for granted that it’s easy to forget what it means in practice. Your words bring me surprising comfort.”

Blythe nodded in thanks to Horgal who returned the gesture solemnly. The Lightbringers’ commander allowed the silence to stretch momentarily as his eyes became distant. Damen - who considered Blythe to be a good friend as well as a thoughtful and cautious leader - could only guess at his thoughts. Then with a shake of his head as if to rid himself of distraction Blythe’s eyes focused on his squad once more.

“I see the will of the Ancestors that Master Lad’ja is here to aid us against the demons and share her wisdom.” The Lightbringer commander looked to each member of his team and exchanged a meaningful look. “And yet ... I can’t shake the suspicion that there’s even more going on than we realize. That demons invaded Merth - one of the largest provinces in the Empire but also with the lowest population density - and just stumbled upon a secret lair of crazy cultists stretches my belief in coincidence.”

“What more could there be?” Brother François Siòn asked.

“I don’t know,” Oathbinder Blythe shook his head. His expression revealed his evident frustration. “Maybe I’m being overly cautious. But when it comes to killing demons and protecting the lives of my team, I want to examine all possibilities thoroughly.”

“You’ll hear no complaints from me,” Damen said dryly. “Your ‘paranoid’ planning’s saved our hides more times than I can count.”

There were general nods of agreement from the others. “We have every confidence in your leadership, sir,” Sister Drue Arden added.

The corner of the Oathbinder’s lips quirked upwards in a smile.

“Your support is appreciated,” he said. “My lingering suspicions aside, we need to deal with the current situation. The fact we’re likely facing two voidreavers changes things. The Order’s protocols on an escalation of this nature are clear. I already knew what Grand Chapter Command’s instructions would be even before I reported to the Keeper of the Flame.”

Oathbinder Blythe nodded for Xi-Pen Lao to pick up where he’d left off. But Damen already had a good idea of what the squad’s second in command would say.

“Our mission is no longer search and destroy,” the wiry Mashalan said calmly. “Oathbinders Christof dun Woldun’s and Erkas Mar’ja Tanegra’ma’s squads have been dispatched from our Chapterhouse in Merth. Our new orders are to assess the situation and ensure the Incursion remains contained, but avoid direct confrontation where possible.”

A full squad of six Lightbringers was considered the minimum response to safely deal with the single voidreaver of an initial Incursion. But with not one but two squads being sent to back them up it proved that Grand Chapter Command in Astagar took the uncertain nature of the increased threat seriously.

“Recon and containment,” Oathbinder Blythe summarized. “Brother Lao, Brother Rak’ja, Master Lad’ja and myself will make our way out of the forest and secure a landing zone. Sister Arden, Brother Hitema and Brother Siòn will scout the trail of Blighted terrain and try to determine where it leads. I want us ready to continue the hunt for these reavers as soon as our reinforcements have arrived.”

Blythe looked around then nodded firmly. “Let’s get it done. Dismissed.”

The squad members moved to gather their equipment and packs.

Brother Siòn picked up a collapsible lamp and moved towards Brother Rak’ja. The troll heavy gunner - in addition to having the largest single weapon in his devastating machine gun - also had the most gear to carry. Between the ammunition for his voracious weapon, his backup assault rifle and general equipment like the lamps, the hulking, green-skinned troll’s pack was at least three times the size of anyone else’s.

“In the rear with the gear, eh Brother?” François Siòn punched the squad’s heavy gunner lightly on the shoulder, a good-natured blow which left the muscular troll completely unmoved.

Taller than Damen and even more heavily muscled, Rak’ja glanced down at the shorter human, his yellow eyes unreadable. Without a word he lifted his arm and just as casually returned Siòn’s gesture of camaraderie. Though Siòn was no weakling for a human he still visibly staggered, then rubbed his shoulder with an exaggerated grimace.

Blythe silently shook his head at the byplay as Damen stepped beside him.

“I hope you remembered to ask Sister dun Lopen to send you a new assault rifle,” Damen grinned.

Oathbinder Blythe half-grimaced, though his eyes spoke of amusement.

“You wouldn’t believe the grief she gave me over it, either,” he grumbled. They shared a grin but Blythe’s faded quickly. “I wasn’t joking about my paranoia, Old Man. Something isn’t right and we need to find out what. Follow the Blight and find what you can but get out at the first sign of trouble. Save the heroics for when our reinforcements arrive.”

“Open comms?” Damen asked just as seriously.

Blythe considered for a moment then shook his head. “Regular check-ins. Just stay out of trouble.”

“We’ll be quiet as mice in a roomful of wyverns,” Damen promised.


Damen Hitema glanced at the animal’s ravaged and dessicated corpse only briefly. The remains were barely recognizable but he was fairly sure it used to be a deer.

“Voidspawn,” he pronounced. “At least a day ago.”

Siòn looked at the torn body with a grimace. “You seem pretty sure of that from just a glance,” he said.

“I don’t rely on just my eyes,” Damen replied as he looked forward through the trees ahead.

An hour had passed since the Lightbringers left the clearing where they’d battled the void demons. Damen, Siòn and Drue had journeyed through the forest, working back along the trail of Blighted terrain left by the marauding demons. Given the size of the horde they’d fought the trail was unsurprisingly quite wide and easy to follow. Vegetation was mostly intact since demons had little interest in plant life when animals were readily available. And in this forest at the centre of the rural province of Merth, animals were in plenty. Most had the instinctive urge to flee of course but those caught had been slaughtered indiscriminately.

Damen looked at his wristband radio then pressed a button on the side. “We’re getting closer to the cave I detected. Still no active signs. Proceeding with caution.”

“Understood,” the voice of Oathbinder Blythe replied through Damen’s earbud. “If the trail’s this cold I’m starting to worry the reavers left the area.”

“Worried enough to expand the evacuation order?” Damen asked.

The entire area surrounding the Incursion had been evacuated of civilians. As commander of the Lightbringers in the field Blythe had the authority to expand the evacuation zone. While some few residents might grumble at the inconvenience the vast majority were far more practical. Unlike major cities which only heard of demons through hearsay or television, rural communities dealt with the hard reality in their daily lives.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.