The Pension
Chapter 9: Questions

Copyright© 2017 by Fofo Xuxu

With suitcases and bags packed, they were ready to check out of the hotel.

Rebeca was anxious to return home, feeling much better since she left the hospital three days earlier. She was there for four days, receiving intravenous fluids on a continuous 24-hour basis the entire time, going through tests and evaluations. Most of the other women were released after only two or three days of treatment and evaluations.

The receptionist behind the polished marble-top counter refused to print their bill nor accept Clara’s credit card. She and Rebeca had stayed in one of the best and most expensive hotels in the city for three days, taking advantage of all the services and in-room perks. Clara didn’t understand the refusal and almost took it as a rebuff. She demanded to speak with the hotel manager. He explained with cheerful expressions and symphonic gestures that they did not have to pay anything. All their expenses were on the house, and Clara and Rebeca were always welcomed to return.

The doorman was more than happy to take their luggage outside and, before returning to the lobby, gave them a gallant salute. Detective Obermoser was parked at the front entrance waiting to take them to the airport. Clara told her about the confusion checking out of the hotel and didn’t understand the special treatment and deference they got from everyone.

The detective gave her the day’s newspaper where a headline was spread across the front page in large bold letters announcing that High Society Citizens Arrested for Sex Crimes. Under the headline, mug shots of nearly two dozen men were plastered. Among them, Clara recognized the alluring Italian. She squeezed her legs together as an unexpected tingle rippled between her thighs; a latent reaction that her body had still not forgotten him. She sighed inwardly and knew she could not indulge in such fickle feelings.

When the investigative team had searched the house, they found a stash of photographs of women tied up, being tortured and sexually abused; the faces of some of the arrested citizens clearly identifiable. The house quickly became known as the Sex Slave Club. However, the biggest of all finds was a notebook that listed the members of the Club, dates and amounts paid to commit their perversions. Since the alleged crimes were inadmissible to stand bail, they had to remain in jail during the whole criminal proceedings.

The Russian henchman was found dead in his cell after the third day of interrogations. No one knew the cause of his death. If Clara had known about the brutality he inflicted on Rebeca and the other women, she would have given him more than just one kick in the ribs, but one for every woman that he terrorized, abused, raped, and tortured. The Russian woman, his wife, claimed she knew nothing about his involvement or the activities at the Club, although she admitted to preparing food and washing towels and bedlinen. The police believed neither her ignorance, nor her innocence.

On the second page of the newspaper, the main article mentioned Clara’s name, describing how she, a Brazilian, staying at the nearby pension had alerted the police about the horrific place. Clara had asked the detective to leave her out of the newspapers, especially the fact that she was a federal police agent from another country.

The reporters were so immersed in the scandal that they didn’t dig deeper into her identity. They were more interested in interviewing the main investigator and spokesperson for the case, a woman police officer, mother of two girls. These aspects lent greater sensationalism to their reports and the opportunity for commentators to highlight the ironies of the case. Detective Obermoser was interviewed on television and received national recognition. She was waiting years to be promoted and, thanks to this case, her promotion was put on speed dial.

Clara and Rebeca were curious and asked where the case stood and what was the likely outcome. The detective responded that the police and prosecutor had more than sufficient evidence to put each man behind bars for the rest of their lives. They were going to be tried jointly similar to the Nuremberg Trial for their heinous crimes. Moreover, the judge had already impounded all their assets and private bank accounts to indemnify the victims, including Rebeca. The amount could reach into the millions for each one.

They arrived on time at the airport and bade farewell, promising to stay in touch and eventually return on a happier note to visit some of the notable places of Austria, especially the birthplace of their father.

As the jet lifted off the tarmac into the blue sky with a thunderous roar, Clara remembered one more thing.

What will become of the pension?

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.