The Hollisters: A Story - Cover

The Hollisters: A Story

Copyright© 2018 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 5: Settling

Reverend Forsythe performed the ceremony as scheduled. The five days in Brisbane were spent exactly as one would expect of a couple on their honeymoon. Henry and Alice visited a number of shops and purchased a number of “necessities,” largely items for their new home that had not already been acquired. Henry resigned himself to spending far more money than he had (innocently) planned.

They had passed Roma on their return trip when the train ground to a halt.

“I’ll go look and see what’s up,” Henry said.

“You’re on holiday!”

“I’m a railway man and I need to see what’s up!” Alice subsided.

Henry went to the end of the car, looked out from the platform and waved.

“Hey, Henery! Dinna ken you wuz on board.”

“We were in Brisbane for a week.”

“We?”

“Just married!”

“Waal. Congrats!”

“What’s up?”

“Perentie bite.”

“Bad?”

“Jes a hand.”

“Shouldn’t be a deal. [Bites on the hand by perenties (Varanus Giganteus) cause swelling within minutes, localized disruption of blood clotting, and shooting pain up to the elbow, which can last for several hours.] Put some Condy’s crystals on it so it doesn’t get infected.”

“Done thet already.”

“Anyway, who is it?”

“Dumb abo stoker. Perentie wuz ona track and he tried ter move him.”

“Well, let’s drop him at Mitchell.”

“Right-o.”

Henry went back to report to Alice.

“Condy’s crystals? What’s that?”

“Potassium permanganate. Essential when you’re in the outback. Use it to purify water, disinfect, start a fire. Great stuff, but dangerous.” The car gave a jerk and the train got underway.

“Who’s Condy?”

“No idea.” [Potassium permanganate or permanganate of potash is a purple compound created by a London chemist named Henry Condy in the 1860s. He is best noted for giving his name to the popular 19th and 20th century disinfectants Condy’s Crystals and Condy’s Fluid.]

When they were back in Charleville, Alice watched the way the station crew greeted Henry. Their baggage (largely purchases) was quickly transferred across King Street. When they were alone in their new home, Alice remarked on their reception.

“I was worried about being in charge. But it’s been OK.”

“They respect you. Believe me, Henry; it is absolutely impossible to fool a workman. When the gang and the abo laborers come to respect you, it’s because they’ve watched you do what has to be done. As a boss, you’re kind of granted a special license to be respected, but only at first. The men learned quickly what kind of a person you are. You couldn’t fool them. They know that you’re inexperienced, and they’ll know if you’re an idiot. There are miles and miles of difference between inexperience and stupidity.”

“You’re right, dear. Now, where do you want everything?”

“Just leave it. While you’re at work tomorrow, we’ll straighten out everything. Do you want a snack?”

“No, it’s too late. Should I carry you into the bed chamber?” The only response was a giggle.

The next week was Christmas and then the New Year, but having taken a week off, Henry was “on duty” while Mick and others took off. Luckily, it was hot, but not overwhelming and there were no emergencies. But once the holidays were past, Henry put Mick and his gang together with a group of Aboriginal laborers to work building a barracks beyond the spur that ran through the goods shed, employing locally cut hoop pine.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.