Tales From Mist World - Cover

Tales From Mist World

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Chapter 24: To Tour a Legend

Jake and Catherine returned to ship, and gathered all the original crew in the guest dining hall. Jake explained, “I know you all signed on for a month, and many of you have families and lives to get back to. each of you need to decide what you want to do. For those of you who need to leave, we understand. There are no hard feelings. You didn’t sign on for this added nine weeks. If you choose to stay, we’ll be doing a couple of things. One is we will be doing the tours. A second is we will continue to do some updating of the ship. Starting with the galleys. We plan to have a fancy dinner in each port, and charge a small fortune for it. As we told the king, all the proceeds will go to the realms defense fund. We’re doing this for two reasons. First and most importantly, it needs to be done. Secondly, it is a way of repaying the king for not trying to take the Karenna from us. Let’s start with our head of preservation. Erma where are you on preserving the library. Do you need anything?”

Erma stood and said, “We have all the books sealed away in shipping crates. That includes several journals that were found. All we need is to ship them back to the college. All the real work will be done there. Though I haven’t spoken to my team. I know we have all come to love this ship. I find I’m torn. I’m eager to get to work on the books, but I would also like to stay and help with the tours.” She glanced at her team and they all nodded. “It looks like, my team feels the same way.”

Catherine said, “We could ship the crates to the college, and have you and your team stay with us, to help with the tours.”

Erma smiled and said, “We’ll discuss it and give you an answer tonight.” Then she sat down.

Jake said, “Ok, next is Gran and the clan.”

Catherine picked a folio and walked to where Gran was sitting. She placed the folio in front of the older woman and said, “Jake and I have talked about how much you and your family have done for us. this ship would not be here if it wasn’t for you guys. This is the title and registration for the Val. I had it transferred to your name. Please accept her as a bonus for everything you’ve done.” Gran was speechless she looked from the folio to Catherine and back several times.

Marie said, “On behalf of my mother and the family, thank you.”

“Your more than welcome.” Catherine said.

“This isn’t our way of trying to get rid of you. This is just something we decided to do. We hope at least some of you will stay on as we tour the duchies. We understand if you have other commitments though. Tomorrow the crown will come and remove our special cargo, and transfer payment for it to our accounts. Then we can settle up.” Jake said.

“We will discuss it and let you know. I’m certain some of the family will want to remain with you.” Gran said

Jake said, “Excellent.” He walked over and picked up a second folio. Then walked over and placed it in front of Rachel Bowmen. “I told my mother if I ever got a second ship, I’d sell the Lady. you know how she feels about her. We transferred her to you and your husband. Your name is first. The ladies Dream is now you ship Misses Bowmen. Please accept it for all the years of hard work and friendship you and your husband have offered me and the Lady.”

Rachel stood and came around the table. She said, “Lady Catherine I’m going to kiss your husband.” Then she followed her words with deeds, and kissed Jake square on the lips. “Thank you, Jake. I think Charles and I will enjoy living and working on the Lady. I never would have believed it could happen, but I’ve come to love that ship. For years, I had similar thought as Molly about the Lady.” she gave him a hug and then returned behind the table and sat in her husband’s lap.

“Please let us know if you wish to stay or will be heading out on your own” Jake said. Bowmen nodded.

Catherine said, “No Bruce, we’re not giving you the Pride.” Everyone laughed at her comment. “However, as Jake said, the crown will be paying us for some of the cargo we have. When they do, each of you will receive a bonus for the work you’ve done.”

In the end, Gran and some of the clan was going to head back to Innis with Bowmen on the lady. Rachel informed them the lady was going to become the first mist meer craft. The lady would transport the cases of books back to Innis College and Patrick and Breanna would go to ensure they got where they belonged. With Gran and Bowmen leaving, Marie became the Xo for the Karenna, and LTCDR Jolly, became the second mate, and took over as the gunnery officer. The night before they left, Jake performed his first wedding ceremony. Paul happily introduced the new couple, being his twin’s best man.

That first day the crowds had thinned in and around the grandstand. That evening families and couples returned to sit on the grass to eat and talk of the Karenna. Several street performers plied their trade throughout the area, adding to the festive atmosphere. Catherine made arrangements, and the next night the barge with the amplifier was used. Three groups of musicians took turns playing for the crowd. Each night different musicians got the chance to perform. Catherine arranged for a second barge to be built for the purpose and donated it to the grandstand. Every weekend after it was delivered crowds gathered to enjoy the free entertainment.

Jake was informed on their second day, that he had made a huge mistake. The large box they had placed for the children’s letters was over flowing and more letters were still being left. It wasn’t just letters they left either. Candies, cakes, flowers and all sorts of other items were left for the crew of the Karenna. The most surprising thing was they found money in the box as well. Loose coins had been dropped in the box. Jake decided to add three more boxes and a guard. One of the boxes was a locked strong box with a slit in the top. The sign in front said Karenna defense fund.

The king kept his word. He and the queen came with their children and grandchildren. They also invited several schools, including the one Mathew attended. The king refused the offer of the first coin, and instead his oldest grandson received it with wide eyes. The bronze coins came out wonderfully. On one side was the image of the ship. On the other was written “I toured a Legend” and the year. The broadsheets the next day were filled with the story of the king exploring the Karenna with the children. One story even mentioned it was the happiest they had seen the king in years. Jake’s favorite story was of the king refusing the offer of the captain to lead the king’s tour, and insisting on one of the cadets. Jake was sure the king had planned it, but he still liked that he had done it

They stayed in the capital for two weeks instead of one. Catherine worked hard and made deals with several vendors. Th uniforms for the cadets came at half the price they would normally sell for. All three of the galleys received new equipment. Catherine’s deal with the merchants was simple. They provide the equipment and they could then say their equipment was on the Karenna. Jake had learned the first supplier had actually laughed at the idea, until she left. His competitor was more than happy to make the deal with her, and took out an add with a quote from Catherine saying only the best would do for the Karenna, that’s why they chose Smucker and sons. Rumor had it the first vendor could be found at the nearest pub instead of his empty showroom.

She had no trouble making similar deals with other suppliers. New furniture was delivered and new rugs were installed. The maintenece area of the scout hold had much of its machinery stripped out and replaced. That deal had the machinery going to the royal museum as a joint donation from them and the supplier. They were disappointed they weren’t receiving the bits and cutting tools that went with the machines. Catherine made up for it with a full set of dishes and a few other items.

Two major events were held on the ship while in the capital. The first was called and evening on the Karenna, and was sponsored by the King and Queen the first weekend in port. Dinner and dancing with the chance to roam the ship brought in thousands of crowns for the defense fund. Most considered it to be the event of the year. Each guest received a special coin, for the men, or a small charm, for the women, to commemorate the evening. That evening the King and Queen announced that Princes Judy and her family would be joining the ship for its tour of the duchies. The king’s grandson was looking forward to being a cadet on the Karenna they informed Jake and Catherine at dinner.

Jake said, “If he wishes to be a cadet, then he will be treated the same as the other cadets on the ship. That means school work and ships tasks. As well as daily exercise classes. He’ll have meals and sleep in his parent’s suite, but we’ll expect him to do the same jobs as the rest of the cadets.”

The queen said, “We thought that would be a requirement and told him so. He seemed even more eager after learning he wouldn’t receive any special treatment.”

The crew of the Karenna grew over their two week stay. They received another one hundred and thirty-eight members from the Air Cops and marines. Many of the new crew brought their families. One of the aft lift chambers was converted to a new nursery to accommodate the influx of little ones. Jake had agreed with idea, the chamber had no purpose before it was converted. After he had agreed to the rooms conversion, Catherine brought up the forward lift chambers. She wanted to convert them as well.

“Catherine, I love you, but how many children do you think we’ll have?” Jake asked teasing her.

“Oh I figure about a baker’s dozen, but that has nothing to do with the forward lift chambers. The forward and aft chambers are just big open rooms. Each room is one hundred feet long and thirty feet wide and the ceiling is thirty feet high. I think we should convert one to an exercise room and the other into a class room. Well a single classroom for now. We can divide it up during the refit.” Jake agreed and she went off to get the jobs started. The rest of the day he wondered about her comment. Did she really want thirteen children?

They had tracked down the teacher and his wife from Mathew’s school. Catherine and Jake invited the two to dinner on the ship. When they offered them jobs teaching and helping them get the academy going both were speechless. Dillan explained the reason for his being released. Jake smiled and informed him they knew that. It was one of the reasons he was being offered the position. The couple accepted but informed them, they really needed a good administrator to help get the academy started.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.