Tales From Mist World - Cover

Tales From Mist World

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Chapter 11: Preparations and Parchment

Jake woke to a knock at his cabin door. He glanced at the clock and saw it was still early. Though it was later than he normally slept. He pulled on a pair of pants and shirt and pulled the door open as Bowmen was about to knock a second time. He motioned for the man to come in and turned to let the girls out the window. When he turned back Bowmen had a long look on his face.
Before Jake could ask he said, “Cloudy’s gone. She left yesterday and never came back.” Jake blinked. He didn’t know what to say. Bowmen continued, “It’s probably for the best Rachel didn’t care for her much. She even got angry when I fed her one of the rolls from dinner. She said, I didn’t work hard making those for you to feed them to a dammed eel. The next morning I let her out and she never came back. I was hoping she might have made her way back here.” Jake shook his head. Bowmen sighed. “I know it’s dumb but I miss her. I never had a pet when I was a kid. Rachel never wanted the boys to have a dog. She felt she would wind up being the one who had to feed and clean up after it. I saw her point. I was gone more than I was home, so I agreed.”

“Bowmen, I’m sorry. I don’t know what to do or to tell you.” He could see the man was clearly upset by the loss.

“I just hope some jack ass didn’t kill her when she left or was coming back. If I found out that happened I would really be pissed.”

“I can understand that. I think I might draw on someone if they threatened the girls. No, I’m sure I would. I had to leave them here a couple times the last few days and worried about them the entire time.”
Bowmen grinned and asked, “Really the entire time? I wonder if the Duchess Catherine Bedford would agree with that comment?”
Jake felt his cheeks flush. “Ok, so maybe not the entire time. I did worry about them though. It is a good thing they weren’t with me that night at the Duke’s. I don’t know how they would have acted when that fool tried to hit me, or during the dual. I’m sure interference by a pet eel is grounds to forfeit.”

“So, it’s true then. The rumor in the city is Lord Grant Innis was defeated by some upstart of an officer from the air corps. That, was you?” he asked raising his eyebrow

“Yes, unfortunately. The fool wouldn’t leave well enough alone. Catherine, the Duchess Bedford that is, unloaded on him with both barrels in font of witnesses. I finally accepted his challenge when he raised his hand and told her ‘Shut up you foolish woman.’ Or something to that effect.”

“Is it true you cheap shot him in family jewels as well?” when Jake’s face split in a grin Bowmen exclaimed, “You did. I can’t see you needing to use a cheap trick to win. I mean I know he’s supposed to be a champion dualist but I just can’t see it. I’ve see you practice. So, what happened?”

“It was his and his uncles fault. I didn’t want to duel in the first place. There was no way out though. His uncle set the rules, standard dueling rules sword and fists no headbutting and no kicking, tripping is fine, just not kicking. First one to draw blood is the victor. Teller said if I beat him too quickly I would make Duke Innis an enemy for life. As well as the rest of his family. Teller said to go out there and give a good showing then cut the fool and end it. So I did. I could have ended it with his first lunge. Instead I let him attack for a while. Then I did the same thing my trainer did to me at the academy. I locked blades then shoved him back dropped to one knee and rang his bell. A nice good upper cut to the jewels.” Bowmen laughed. “Then I said, yes that smart doesn’t it. My trainer at the academy did the same thing to me my first day. I walked funny for a week. Then I sliced him from ear to nose. Not deep just enough to draw blood. I doubt it even scar.” He grinned at Bowmen then added “Much.” The two men laughed at the joke.
Jake offered him a seat and said, “There is something we need to discuss. When I take the Lady out next, I will be doing a salvage run. Not eeling.” Bowmen raised his eyebrows at that. Jake continued, “This is a once in a lifetime chance. If I do this I will be set for life. In fact I will be set so well I was thinking of selling you the Lady.” that got Bowmen’s attention. “Yes really. Before I tell you about it, I want to warn you. Knowing about what we are going after could be dangerous. I mean really dangerous. The kind of dangerous were countries might come after you or your family.”
Bowmen blurted, “You found one of the empires dreadnaughts. Where? No don’t tell me I don’t want to know. Tell me I’m right aren’t I?”
Jake said, “I’m going to have to find a different way of warning people. My warning seems to give away the secret. Yes, your right. Which is why I’m paying wages for this next cruise instead of shares. We’ll be out between a week and a half and a month. I’ll pay everyone a month’s wages. Decent wages, but not over the top. I can’t afford that yet. As a bonus, anyone who comes to help, will get the offer of a spot on her crew and bit extra in pay. Think any of the crew might want a chance to crew a legend? How about you? I plan to make her a combination secure freight hauler, high class passenger liner, and flying academy. There will be room for the crew’s family. Wife and children until the kids are grown. That’s my plan at least. What do you think?”

“What do I think? I think it’s brilliant. If you can keep it once you have it. What makes you think the crown will let it stay in private hands though?” Bowmen asked.

“Funny you should ask that. At the party, I asked Teller Jones and two other admirals what they thought the crown would do if someone salvaged one of the legends. Teller agreed with you. That was my conclusion as well. Jones though argued the crown would have to allow it if the all the proper procedures were followed. He said if the person had the proper permits and paid the fees for salvage rights. The crown would have to leave it in their hands. It has on several occasions refused to return airships it salvaged from other countries. In addition, it has allowed three private citizens to salvage damaged warships. Two of those were battleships the crown determined were not worth the effort to salvage. He said it would cause them no end of problems if they tried to seize it. Besides with current arms technology the old dreadnaughts wouldn’t be a real threat to crown. That meant they wouldn’t have a reason to try to seize it. I think they will anyway, but as a means of trying to force me to sell it to the crown.”

“Yea I could see that. But, you do plan to raise it, right? Which one is it?”
Jake pulled the letter out of the satchel and handed the first page to Bowmen. Bowmen’s eyes grew wide as he read it. He finished reading it and handed the page back. Jake said, “You may have noticed I haven’t been saying the name aloud. I’ve even been whispering it in my mind to help keep the secret. I’ve hired Gran Kennedy and her family to help repair and update her so I can fly her out. Now the question is, what are you going to do?”
Bowmen grinned and started to answer. Then froze a frown crossing his face. “This isn’t a decision I can make without talking to Rachel. I can’t tell her what ship we’re going after. Jake what am I going to do? I can’t tell her. My wife can’t keep a secret to save her life. This secret could mean her life.”

“So, tell her we’re going out to salvage the Raven and she is invited to come along. Tell her it’s a chance to spend time with you. You have room for her in your cabin. Once we get to the ship, there will be plenty of room. You can even blame the misdirection on me. I don’t plan to tell the crew until we reach her. I only plan to tell them what we’ll be doing and for how long. They can decide if they want to go or sign on with someone else.”

“Some of them may choose to wait until you go out next time but they won’t choose to go out with someone else. If you haven’t heard you pay more than the other eeler captains per share, and bring in larger hauls faster than anyone else. None of them will want to chance giving up a spot on your crew. They know there are dozens of airmen waiting to join.” Bowmen said.

“I pay the same share my father did. As for the other, we are just better than the rest.” He smiled and Bowmen shook his head. Their conversation was interrupted by the eels return and thumping on the window. When Jake opened the window, he smiled. Bowmen’s eel was with his two. She darted in and wrapped her tail around his arm and hummed as he rubbed her head. Jake noticed she was wearing a leather harness. It circled her body both in front of and behind her wings with straps that connected the two pieces and a ring on top between her wings. Where did you get the harness for her?” Jake asked.

“The man next door works leather. He makes safety harnesses and other things. He made it for me. Gave it to her as a gift. Said I had to tell anyone else who wanted an eel harness where I got it. “Gerald’s Fine Leather.” His shop is in the main market.”
Jake smiled. “I’ll tell him you referred me when go by there later. Does it work?”

“You mean the ring here.” he pointed to the ring. “Yea, she wasn’t happy. Rachel insisted I use it when we left her in the house to go out to dinner. When we came back she was asleep though, all curled up on the blanket.”

“I’ll add that to my list of errands then. I wonder how long it will take him to make two more?”

“I might have mentioned you had a couple eels and might stop by to check out his wares. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a couple ready if you stopped by.” Bowmen said with a grin. Bowmen left taking Cloudy with him.
Jake stretched in his cabin, and then took the girls down to shower. He stopped at the galley and cook said he had their breakfast nearly finished. Bowmen was standing drinking a cup of caff. Jake motioned for the man to follow. He took Bowmen to the showers and turned on the water in one of the stalls. His eels floated in and began wriggling and under the stream from the shower head. Bowmen pulled his eel back and laughed shaking his head as he left. Jake showered and shaved. Then dried the eels and returned to his cabin to dress for the day. He headed to the mess and ate breakfast with the cook, enjoying the older man’s company. Jake mentioned their next outing would be a salvage run not for shares. The cook just shrugged.
Jake wondered what the man did with his pay. He had no home other than the Lady, and he hadn’t spent even one night off her in Jake’s memory. He never asked though. He felt if the man wanted to share he would. Jake wouldn’t pry. Bowmen said he was going to be on the Lady all day. After a few days with their family most of the crew would stop by. At least to check in, some would be here most of the day. Jake told him to pass word about the next run being a salary job working salvage. He stressed no one would lose their position if they chose to wait for the next eel run. Bowmen nodded and Jake headed off to do his errands.
The Crown Bank had an office at the port. It was the largest branch of the bank in the city of Innis. Jake walked to branch and was a few minutes early. He glanced around looking for a street vendor. Finding none he trudged back to docks and one of the bakeries there. He grabbed a youth who seemed to be wandering aimlessly and showed him a silver mark. Then handed him five copper bits. Telling him to go in the bakery and buy as many honey rolls or sweet rolls as coppers would buy. When he brought them back, the silver would be his. The boy darted in and Jake watched through the window as he tried to get the baker’s attention. The baker ignored the lad even when he slapped the coppers on the counter, the man shook his head and said something. the lad pointed to the window and began talking. The baker looked up and saw Jake. Jake scowled through the window at the baker and the man became efficient in in assisting the lad.
The youth left the coins on the counter and was back outside while the baker gathered them. The young man offered Jake a folded paper parcel and Jake flipped him the silver. Jake told him he would like what happened next. Then opened the wrapping and pulled one of the sticky rolls out. He called to Grace and tossed the roll high. Grace used the wall of the bakery to launch herself after it. Jake smiled as the lad’s mouth hung open as the eel caught it hummed floating over the early morning traffic. Jake enjoyed the looks from passersby as he threw twelve of the rolls to his eels. He and the lad shared three of them. Jake used a nearby barrel of rain run-off to rinse his sticky hands. The eels used the wall of the building near him to absorb their momentum and soon were latched on his arms once more. They hummed their pleasure of the unexpected treat.
Jake made his way back to the bank with a huge smile. He enjoyed the looks and smile he and the eels got from the display. The bank was open when he got there, and he was quickly shown to his account manager. He withdrew over half of his savings in promissory notes from the bank. He was pleased to find he had more in the account than he had thought. Two of his investments had fared much better than expected. He never counted on his investments playing out, so the windfall was nice. With the promissory notes tucked in a file in his satchel and a large purse of gold next to it, Jake made his way from the bank back to the Lady.
His next errands would be much quicker if he used the Lady’s launch. Bowmen offered him a sealed letter when he arrived. Jake recognized the writing and the seal. It was from Catherine. He asked Bowmen to prepare the launch and stepped into his cabin to read the letter.

Dear Jake,

I have been force to find lodging elsewhere. The duke and I had heated words yesterday morning regarding his nephew. I’m afraid I may have lost my temper with the man. We have moved to Innis Base Royal Guest Quarters. The house is rather nice.
I was hoping I could impose on you to come for a visit. Perhaps for lunch if you are free. I understand you are a busy man, with duties to your airship and her crew. If today is not convenient please send word when it would be. Since we moved yesterday the requests to meet have been piling up from merchants and minor nobility. I am not sure if their missives were misplaced at the Duke’s or if our move has emboldened the authors.
On a side note, I am meeting with one of the broadsheet writers this morning. Sara brought a disturbing article to my attention. It was reported that Lord Grant Innis was attacked by a drunk lower ranked officer a few nights hence. It went on to say, though slightly injured he had fought off the drunk. The officer wasn’t named. But the ladies and I plan to correct this writers error over tea this morning. I will inform you of the success of my endeavor or its failure.
I truly wish to see you and your wonderful pets. Again, please let me know if another time would be better suited to your schedule.
Fondly,
Catherine


Jake folded the letter up and tucked in the inside pocket of his coat. Then he exited the cabin and boarded the launch. He waved off Bowmen’s comment about the letter being bad news. Jake hadn’t figured out if the letter was bad news yet or not. He doubted speaking to the broadsheet writer was a good idea, but he had no experience in this matter. In his mind he wished her luck, but feared it would only create more of a situation. He flew to the shipyard. In truth, it was only the large shipyard of the four Innis had. The engine monkeys as Gran called them, worked at this large yard. Jake had to fly halfway around the city to reach it. He brought the launch in and parked it near the yard’s office.
He entered the office and was greeted by a busy middle aged woman. She didn’t look up until she had finished writing something in her ledger. Jake was surprised at the lack of response she gave on seeing the eels. “You’d be Captain Harrow.” Seeing his look, she said, “Innis may be one of the largest cities in the kingdom captain, but her port is a tight nit group. Word of you and your eels spread faster than a runaway carriage. What can I, or the yard do for you. I heard your airship was looking in top shape after a brief stay at a warehouse on the base.”
Jake laughed at the women. “It would seem you have an excellent intelligence sources for the port of Innis. My airship is indeed in fine shape. The crew effected repairs and managed to paint the Lady while sequestered in that warehouse.” The woman nodded as if, of course she had been right. “I’m here because I have a source that told me the yard has four Mk-260 engines it is trying to sell.”

“Captain it would seem you have excellent intelligence source as well. It isn’t well known we are trying to sell those.” She stood and turned to head to the office behind her. She said over her shoulder, “Let me fetch the boss for you.” She entered the room without knocking and closed the door behind her. She wasn’t inside long. She came out smiling and said, “He’ll be right out. Can I offer you some caff or tea Captain Harrow?”
Then man who came out of the office was a tall lean man. If it weren’t for the calluses on his hands you might think him a banker. “Bev says your Captain Harrow, and you’re interested in our big boy engines. I’m William Copper. I own the yard. Well, me and the Crown Bank that is.”
Jake smiled and said, “I am, and she was right I do wish to purchase your Mk-260s. If the price is right.”
The man rubbed his chin making a scratching noise on his whiskers. He hadn’t shaved today, maybe in a couple days. He reached in the door and grabbed his coat. William, call me Will, led Jake out to an electric pull cart. The eels tensed on seeing the thing, and Jake groaned inwardly. Will though kept the cart at fast jog as he pointed to various projects the shipyard was currently working on. From the way he spoke, it was easy to tell he was proud of his operation. Will drove right through a pair of hug doors into an even larger building. Inside Jake saw a very large ship or what could be a large airship. Currently it was nothing more than the skeleton with a pair of big engine attached.
Will stopped just inside and let him take in the airships bones as it were. After a moment, Jake nodded. Will started up the cart and maneuvered around to the back of the ghostly structure. Seeing the airship this way was somehow unnerving to Jake. William stopped just behind the back of the skeleton so Jake could get a better look at the engines. Jake hadn’t realized how massive they truly were. Each engine was twice as large the ones on the Lady.
Jake could almost picture the engines powering the Karenna. Will asked, “Now that you’ve seen them, I figure you realize they’re much too big for little eeler.”

“Never intended to try to put them one her. How much for all four?” Jake asked

“You want them? I was sure you thought they were smaller engines.”
Jake just smiled and repeated, “How much?”
William looked him over and rubbed his bristly chin. After a moment, he shrugged. “I paid Five thousand Crown gold per engine. They’re brand new only ever been run when they were tested at the factory.”
Jake added, “And I’ve heard you were already paid for them too. Seems a bit much to hope to get their full price.”
William frowned. “that’s true. The engines are paid for but I need to recoup some of my expense on the airframe too. I could let you have them for forty-five hundred crowns.”

“I thought you said you wanted to sell them. I wish you luck at those prices, and I’ll order new from the factory.”

“These engines take six months to build. Each one. We waited two years before they got here. if you order them from the factory you’ll be waiting two years to get them.”
Jake nodded. “True, that’s true. I could double my savings for this project in that time.” He nodded then said, “Thank you for the information. After consideration, I think I’ll look around some more. If I can’t find what I want, I’ll order them new.”

“Now hold on just a minute. I could sell you these at say four each. I need to clear this big shop for other projects anyway.”
Jake thought it over and said, “I’ll pay you thirty-two fifty each. Half now and half when they are picked up. They’ll have to be re-crated for shipping.”
William harrumphed then stuck out his hand saying, “You have yourself four engines Captain Harrow.”
Jake shook the hand. “Good let’s get back to your office and write it up. Then I can pay you, and you can start work on getting them crated. How long will that take?”
William started the cart and drove out of the large shop. “Once I put a crew on it they can disconnect them and crate them up in a day. Doesn’t take much to uninstall them. We still have the crates in the shop.”

“Any chance you could put two crews on it?” Jake asked.

“You in a hurry?”

“My freight hauler will be here in three days. I have to pay them for each day they sit waiting.” Jake said.

“You must have been real sure you wanted those engines if you already have freight scheduled.” Will commented.

“The engines won’t be their only cargo.” Will frowned but nodded at Jake’s statement.
When they got back Will told Bev to fetch two of his foremen, then led Jake to the office to fill out the bill of sale. Jake had a ten thousand and two five thousand promissory notes. He told Will he’d pay him ten now if he got two crews working on the engines. Will agreed and wrote out the slip to show the deposit paid was ten thousand crowns gold. They shook and Jake informed him the freight hauler would have the remainder when it was picked up.
Jake flew the launch to the Kennedy farm. Cali led the group of children off the porch when he was safely on the ground. He pulled the key and warned the kids he wouldn’t be there long. He met with Gran, and passed over the large purse and one of the five thousand notes. She promised they would start gathering supplies that day. Tammy wrote a note of deposit for unnamed services, and Jake tucked in his folio. Patrick came with him taking over flying the launch, Jake directed him to the main market.
He found Gerald’s Leather without a problem. The man did have a few eel collars already made. Both were died a deep black and he purchase all three in stock. He waited to put them on the eels until he was back at the launch. Pat helped and they finally got Grace into her collar. Gail on the other hand held perfectly still while they put hers on. She seemed to preen once it was in place. Seeing Gail’s reaction Grace seemed to cheer up. Jake didn’t try to attach the leashes he had bought. He thought the black collars with the bright steel ring looked better than the tan and bronze one Bowmen had on Cloudy, and was pleased with his purchase.
Next it was back to the college library to Erma McGill. They were greeted by the same young woman as the day before. She informed him McGill had left word she would be in her workshop if he stopped by. Jake and Pat made their way to the lower levels, and Erma’s workshop. The door was closed so he knocked. A few seconds later they heard a bolt release and thin mousey looking woman stare out at them. She had no reaction to Jake or the eels. She just stepped back and motioned the two men inside. Jake found Erma in her workroom organizing supplies. He figured she was preparing for the trip to the Karenna.
She finished her task and greeted the two men. Jake made introductions for Pat and Erma introduced Brianna. The woman wouldn’t even meet Jake’s eyes when she was introduced. Jake pulled the pack off his shoulder and used it to motion to Mrs. McGill’s workbench. Erma nodded her assent and followed Jake to it. He sat the pack on the workbench and opened the straps. Then he pulled out the waxed bundle and sat in the center of the workspace and stepped back.
Erma’s eyes shown with excitement at seeing the bundle. Jake said, “I’ll need another receipt I’m afraid. I was hoping I might entice you to work your magic, so we can find out what inside.”
She beamed at Jake. “If I was ten years younger I would kiss you Captain Harrow.”
Jake laughed then stepped forward and gave the librarian a kiss on the lips. It was only a quick kiss. “My apologies for taking liberty’s Mrs. McGill. I hope you’ll forgive this wayward old airman.”
She smiled even bigger. Then pushed him away saying, “I’ll save that decision until I find out what is inside this wax bundle. You may even get another kiss if it has all I hope.” When she caught the look of shock on her assistants face she said, “Don’t looked so shocked Bri. I was considered a looker when I was young. Me and my late husband were almost caught kissing in the stacks more than once. I keep telling you Brianna, you need to find a man and experience some of the joys of life. Books are a wonderful thing but they only keep you warm at night if you burn them. And you know how I feel about the burning of books.”
Jake saw Brianna blush. She was once again looking at the floor. Patrick said, “Miss Brianna if you would like to see some of the city I would be honored to accompany you to dinner tonight.” That shocked the young woman into looking up for the second time. She quickly looked back down and shook her head. Pat said, “I do wish you’d change your mind. If you do you send word to the Ladies Dream on dock seven. The invitation is open for any night I’m in port.”

“Bri, you should go to dinner with the young man. It would be helpful to know some of the people we will be traveling and working with.” She turned back to waxed bundle.
Jake said, “I would love to stay and watch you torture me as you slowly revealed its contents. Alas I have a luncheon meeting I must attend. I believe I can spare the time to wait for the cataloging if we begin soon. Otherwise I must insist on leaving Patrick here to observe. It’s not that I don’t trust you Erma. Call it extreme caution on my part due the nature of the contents and what it pertains too.”

“I take no offence. I would have asked if Patrick could stay when you left. After all we just met. I hope as our acquaintance grows so will our trust. That is usually the way it works. Brianna get a fresh clipboard and attend me.” The process seemed to go much faster with Brianna writing and Erma dictating as she went. Unlike the letter, she used her little blade to cut all four edges of the bundle. Then lifted the top off like a box.
Jake wasn’t sure what he was seeing. The bottom of the bundle held two hard bound books. He assumed those were the ship’s and captain’s logbooks. On top though, was several pages of a thick paper Jake had never seen before. Erma smiled and turn and grabbed Jake planting a whopper of kiss on him. “I had hoped these might be here. do you know what these are? They’re the working blueprints for the Karenna. They used heavy velum so they would last longer being used so often onboard the airship. You promised me the college would a copy of these. You are not going to go back on your word, are you?” Jake was almost as excited as the librarian.

“I assure you that will not happen. In fact, if you can make suitable copies. I think the original should stay safely here. I see no reason to take a chance with it being lost or damaged.” Jake informed her.

“I knew you were a good man. It will take us several days to make accurate copies. That is if they are in as good of condition as the letter was. if they’re faded it could take much longer. I wish I could bring in more help.”

“Erma write out a proposal where the College get the original but provides me with unlimited copies. Don’t mention the Logbooks. If you do that today. I’ll come by tomorrow and if you can arrange a meeting with the college president. I think if he sees them he will be willing to agree to keep my name anonymous while the work is done copying them. Especially if he is going to get the originals.”

“For the originals, he would do a whole lot more than keep your name a secret. Jake these blueprints are priceless. Are you sure you want to give them to the college. There are private collectors who would pay a fortune for these. I’m sure the offer of a copy for our collection would be enough to entice the chancellor. The plans we have are one of his pet projects.”

“Ok, right it up as the college getting a full copy and I’ll hint at the possibility of donating the originals when I ask him to ensure you have the needed support to work on my rare collection of books.”
Erma laughed, “Now you’re sounding like an old hand at this. He’ll be jumping over backwards to accommodate you.”

“I really wish I could stay,”
Erma cut him off with a wave and said, “Brianna write the good captain here a receipt for, “ she paused and examined the stack. Then continued, “Fourteen velum pages with technical diagrams. Two hard bound books and one folded waxed leather covering. Then he can head off to his luncheon. Patrick you’ll be staying, right?”
Pat looked to Jake who nodded. “Yes mam.”

“Good then before we get started on the real work I’ll send Brianna off to get us some lunch. No fuel in the belly no fire in the brain, my mother used to say.”
Brianna handed Jake the receipt and he signed both copies. He thanked the woman and she nodded, but refused to meet Jake’s eye. He said farewell and Brianna let him out of the workroom bolting the door after him.
Jake hurried to the launch and flew faster than he would have normally to get to the base. He landed outside the gate and asked where the royal guest quarters were located. With direction from the gate guard, Jake easily found the large house. It was the nicest and largest on base. It sat at the top of small hill with a good view of most of the base. Jake landed near the carriage house. When he shut down the launch and got out he was greeted by two uniformed marines. “Commander Harrow?” the senior man asked Jake nodded and the man said, “Her grace told us to expect you. If you’ll follow me sir?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.