Tales From Mist World - Cover

Tales From Mist World

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Chapter 7: Old Mentors and New Acquaintances

The Bulldog and her crew sailed on through the night with only minor course corrections. During the night, the heavy tailwind they had on the outward journey that had been pushing them of course dissipated. Mid-morning, they spotted a large convoy of civilian airships. The convoy was made up of ten different ships. Six were heavy freight airships, and three where medium freight airships. The last ship was a passenger ship. Jake didn’t recognize any of the ships he only knew a few captains in the freight business. The ships were recorded in the logs and both the convoy and the Bulldog continued on the course.

At lunch time, they received a message from the Admiral asking for their ETA. Their position was taken anew and their schedule revived. They would be at the lighthouse by 3pm. The admiral seemed pleased by this. Since his reply stated there was no need to push it. The Dame Helen wasn’t due until 7 that night. Jake was thoughtful after receiving that message. The Dame Hellen was one of the Crown’s oldest Battleships, and was stationed at the capital. Even with the three days she couldn’t have made the trip from the capitol to Beacon Ridge. She must have been out on patrol or something to be able to be here. If the admiral had her and his entire fleet from Innis they would have more than twenty airships. He knew they would have that many though. For one thing, his old roommate was off on convoy duty. For another the admiral, couldn’t leave Innis unguarded. He figured they had sent the Dame Hellen in the hopes of finally putting an end to the Reaver.

If the admiral had brought the Dame Ruth, his flagship, that meant they would have two battleships and their escorts. He had no idea how many other airships would be there. He figured the admiral would have brought a good portion of the Innis fleet though. He almost felt bad for the Pirates, almost. The lookouts called the spotting of the lighthouse just after one o’clock. At a quarter to three they were taking up position where they had assigned. The message sent to them was to take up position behind the Skranette, a very old frigate. Jake had heard she was scheduled to be decommissioned next years when her replacement was completed. The Skranette was over thirty years old and she looked her age. The Bulldog settled into position and a line was run to the mooring buoy to prevent it from drifting. They hadn’t even finished mooring the Bulldog when a new flash message was sent from the Dame Ruth. Captain and First Officer to report to the Ruth.

The two men boarded the Captain’s launch with Patrick and three airmen. The Ruth was a beehive of activity. With launches coming and going. Signal messages flashed out and back from the many ships already here. Airman Tully handled the launch perfectly and sat them down on the Ruth with practiced ease. They saluted the Colors and requested and received permission to come aboard. Jake was rather surprised to see Rear Admiral Coble, Admiral Teller’s XO waiting for them when they disembarked. After the exchange of salutes Coble said, “Greetings Commander how was your little side trip?”

“Fine sir. We made it there early yesterday. The Officers dung in and finished the task quickly.” Jake motioned to Patrick and several large sacks he was unloading. “My steward has brought over several mist meer for the admiral’s table. Who should he deliver them to.”

“Mist meer you say, several of them? Well now, aren’t you full of surprises.” He called over two of the airmen nearby and had them assist Pat with his haul. “I can’t speak for Admiral Teller, but I happen to love mist meer. My wife and I have had it on several occasions. However, did you come by so many of them out here?”

LCDR Perry chuckled and before Jake could answer he said, “Those two eels of his go off hunting every morning. From what I have been told they bring back a meer for each sweet roll the cook has. A dozen rolls each morning means he receives a dozen meer. When I heard about it I had to go and watch it for myself. Craziest thing I have ever seen sir. Two nights ago the entire crew had roasted mist meer for dinner. The crew seem to think very highly of Commander Harrow’s pets.”

The XO gave Jake a long look. “I see. Well, let’s not keep the Admiral waiting.” With that he led them across the deck and into the ship. They made their way to a large briefing room. The table was only half filled with officers from other airships. Fleet Admiral Teller sat at the head with aids sitting to both sides. Several airmen stood behind him waiting to do his bidding while he read a message an airman had just given him. the XO lead them across the room towards where the admiral sat. Conversations quickly died as the room became aware of Jake and the two eels. When the admiral noticed the silence, he looked up. When he saw the reason for the it he smiled. Then wrote something on the page and handed it to the waiting airman. When he turned back he said, “I see our most flamboyant Commander Harrow is here and he’s brought his pets with him.” Jake stopped his progress and saluted the admiral. Teller returned it and rose from his chair. He continued to speak as he walked the remainder of the distance between them. “Gentlemen if you haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Commander Harrow, find the time to do so. This operation would not have happened without him. I was all set to throw Captain Greyson in the brig or have the him thrown in it when the commander here says we might want to let him run and see where he leads us. He tells me, he’s read the Raven’s Captain’s log and there is a pirate base near Innis. Well, we’ve known there was one near Innis for some time now. We just have never been able to locate it. That is until night before last. This entire operation is because of Commander Harrow’s suggestion.” He reached out and shook Jake’s hand saying, “Good to see you Jake.” Then patted him on the shoulder. Grace and Gail both bobbed their heads nearer to him. Teller raised a hand and Grace used it to rub her head on. This made the old man smile. Gail felt left out and she too moved forward copying Grace every action. “Nice to see you two as well ladies.” He said to the eels

“Admiral Grace and Gail here brought you present we came over.” The admiral raised an eyebrow at that. “My steward is taking it to your cook as we speak.”

“Tell me Commander what is it these two have brought me?”

Before Jake could respond the XO said, “eight large sacks full of mist meer. They looked pretty heavy if the efforts of the airmen are any indication.”

“Mist meer? How ever did you manage to come by so many?” asked Teller Again, Admiral Coble answered for him. “His XO says he has trained the eels to hunt them. Says he trades sweet rolls for mist meer.”

When Jake nodded his agreement that that was indeed the facts, the admiral threw his head back and laughed. This action caused both of the eels to shy back behind Jake. “Well, tonight we’ll be having a very nice roast beef I’m told. We can save the mist meer for our victory celebration tomorrow night.” He looked around and then continued, “Admiral O’Keefe has made up some time and will be here in an hour or so. Once he gets settled we can begin the briefing. Why don’t we stretch our legs gentlemen?” he led Jake and the others out to the aft deck. along the way, he stopped an airman and whispered something to him. the man nodded then hurried off. The officers followed him to aft railing where there were several tables setup with various beverages.

Teller pulled Jake, Perry and Coble into a circle and said, “It worked lad your idea was brilliant. As soon as the Crown investigators told Greyson about the Bulldog escorting you back and that they had the logs from the Raven, the man went white as the sheets of his bed. When I added that I was personally going to see to it the investigation was thorough and all parties involved were hung, I thought he would have a heart attack. I told him not to worry as I was going to send some men to guard him to make sure he was safe before you and crew returned. I told him I would do it as soon as I got back to my office.” Teller had a huge smile as he told his tale. “We actually saw him hobbling out the back as we left. He was still wearing his hospital pajamas.” The admiral laughed t remembering the sight. “I had to bite my tongue to keep from ordering my driver to follow him. the report from those who did follow him said he went to the edge of town some run down building where he met several others.

Less than an hour later they opened the doors and flew one of those fancy pleasure airships out. Right fast ship it is almost as big as your Lady. The scouts had a time trying to keep up with it. First, they went to Donner’s Reach. Landed at one of the farms there. Ten minutes later they were in the air again. Went to another of the farms and hid the airship in a barn. Men came and went until full dark then they brought the airship out again. Scouts counted more than a dozen of them enter. Including Greyson on crutches. He had finally changed out of his pajamas and into some work clothes. When they left one of my frigates stopped them for an inspection. They were cleared quick enough. But while they were being inspected they happened to attach a new type of beacon light to her tail fin. Thing can’t be seen without special lenses. At least the light can’t be.

Followed those scum for several hours then they dove into the mist. The scouts thought they had been spotted. The new beacon light let them see where they went in the mist though. Then they just disappeared no more signal light. One of the scouts dropped down quiet as could be and found them. They’re in a canyon in the mist. Bunch of cave tunneled out scout said there were at least forty openings some of them large enough to park the Ruth in. they have some kind of community there.”

The airman he had stopped was waiting when he finished speaking and Teller motioned the man forward. He was holding a basket with a linen draped over it. Jake figured he knew what was under the linen. The girls chuffing only confirmed his suspicion. Teller said to the airman, “I have been told the commander’s eels will hunt mist meer for what you have in this basket. What do think airman should we see if these wild rumors are true?” the airman nodded his head vigorously. Teller said, “How do you do this Jake?”

“If the airman sets the basket on the table there and removes the linen so Grace and Gail can see the treat we’ll show you sir.” Jake replied The airman did as he was instructed. Inside the basket was half a dozen rolls covered in honey. The eels pushed off of Jake’s shoulder and examined the basket making chuffing sounds. Then they turned and looked at Jake. He said, “Hunt Grace. Hunt Gail,” and waived to back of the airship. The two used the table to launch themselves off. As they floated past him they pushed their tails against his chest for added speed. Once past the rail they spread their wings and took a single strong beat then dived for the mist. “They’ll hunt for and find a mist meer then return. When they get back they’ll bring it to you airman. You need to inspect meer. Then you can give them a roll. Once they have eaten it they’ll go back and get another until there are no more rolls left. What’s your name airman?”

“Airman Basilone sir.”

“Good to meet you airman Basilone.” Jake said.

The eels were back in record time. They appeared over the aft railing winging it back to the ship. Grace back winged once before she dropped the meer at Basilone’s feet. Then circled back and used Jake as a hitching rail. If Jake hadn’t braced himself she would have pulled him off his feet. Both admirals found this funny. Gail came in much slower, though she too used Jake’s arm to slow herself. Her speed was slow enough that it didn’t upset him in the least. The airman forgot his duty while watching the spectacle the eels made. Grace’s chuff chuff brought his attention back to her. “The meer airman. Pick it up and look inspect it.” Remembering his part in this he did so. He even nodded. Then he set the dead meer on the deck and removed a roll from the basket. Grace was much more gentle this time when she used Jake move closer to the airman. She looked back at him for his nod before she took the offered roll. As she chewed she floated high above the deck humming her delight. Gail moved forward as soon as she was clear and offered her kill to the airman who was busy watching Grace float and hum several feet above him. Jake cleared his throat. And the airman blushed at having to be reminded yet again. When Gail followed Grace’s performance with an identical one Jake noticed the other officers were staring at him or the two eels. Grace dropped slowly down near the basket and inspected it. Then rose again and headed off into the mist with Gail a few feet behind her.

“Wow, “ said airman Basilone

“I think I must agree with you airman. That was a sight to see.” Admiral Teller turned smiling to the rest of the officers and asked, “What do guys think? Do you think the airman made a good trade? Two sweet rolls for two mist meer. They look like rather large meer at that.”

Most of the officers were nodding and smiling at the admiral’s little joke. Twice more they repeated what was old hat to the eels. Six sweet rolls six meer. When the rolls were gone, the airman tried to pick up his hall. But found he could only carry two of the meer at a time they weighed so much. Two other airmen were called over to assist Basilone with ferrying them to the cook to be added to tomorrow night’s meal.

The officers talked and joked about catching and training an eel for their own airships. It wasn’t long until the Dame Hellen and her six escorts were visible in the distance. By then the officers were enjoying the beverages laid out. Many of them had brought out pipes and cigars and lit them with Admiral Teller’s approval. He had even sent a man to fetch his humidor from his cabin. Jake didn’t smoke often, but he had been taught that when a senior officer offered you a something you took it. So, he stood near the rail watching and puffing on the foul cigar as the battleship and her escorts moved into position. The eels didn’t seem to care much for the smell of tobacco, and took to flying circles above the aft deck as the officers smoked.

Before the Dame Hellen had even began to moor itself to the buoy several launches had left her deck. it seemed the admiral had all his officers from the battle group already onboard his battleship. They made their way to the Ruth with Fleet Admiral Jones being the first to land and disembark. Jake was surprised to see him offer his hand to a young lady after he had saluted the colors. Woman didn’t serve in the air corps, so that meant she had to be a civilian. Jake wondered whose daughter she was to be here. He couldn’t think of any reason Admiral Jones would bring a female civilian with him knowing they would be heading into battle.

When the officers noticed her they quickly extinguished their tobacco. Jake heard a few off comments about women and bad luck. Both Teller and Coble shot glares at the officers they heard make comments. Admiral Teller stepped forward to make his manners. When he approached, Teller bowed to young woman. Jake groaned, that meant she was one of the high nobility. This was not going to be good. To his further amazement six more women exited the launch with Admiral Jones’ assistance. Jake took a moment to look them over. They were all dressed in what he thought was called a riding dress. The dress was more like a pair of pants on the lower half. With wide pleated legs that looked like a single skirt when standing still, but allowed the wearer to be able to mount a horse properly. He couldn’t for the life of him understand why the women were here.

His promise to keep well away from them was ruined by the two eels. The traitors decided to descend and wrap themselves around his arms peeking their heads over his shoulders. Every single one of the women’s eyes followed the eels as they descended to him. he could see their eyes grow large as they attached themselves to him. Jake didn’t need to hear the question to know what the lady asked of Teller. Her motioning to him and Tellers smile and then laugh was enough to know without being able to hear her words. Jake was just trying to decide if he could get away with turning around and pretending he had no idea he was topic of conversation, when Admiral Teller raised his voice and shouted, “Commander Harrow, join us please.” That hadn’t been a polite request. That had been an order. Inwardly Jake groaned again. Perry chuckled low and Jake thought he would have to find something unpleasant to do with his XO as he put a smile on his face and said loudly, “Yes Sir.”

Jake’s mother had always said, if you have something unpleasant to do just put a smile on your face and get it done. You’ll find the task gets done faster and is normally less unpleasant then you thought.” He hoped he words were accurate this time. He put his best smile on his face and walked with his best air cops officer stride to where Teller was standing with the young woman. When he got closer to his further embarrassment the eels made an odd noise and leaned out much further over his shoulder. Before he realized what, he was doing he rubbed each of their heads and gently pushed them back. Following the admiral’s example Jake bowed to the young woman when he was a few steps away. He felt the eels shift on his arms, and hoped they weren’t going to embarrass him even further.

When he stood upright she had a very amused look on her face. She wasn’t looking at him though. Her eyes were firm fixed to the two eels that now hovered over his head. he could feel the two of them extended over him. they kept bumping his hat. He prayed silently they wouldn’t knock it off his head, or worse knock it askew covering his eyes. Jake barely heard Admiral Teller say, “Duchess Bedford may I introduce Commander Harrow of the Crown Reserve. He is currently serving as Captain of the Bulldog. Jake this is the Duchess of Bedford. She was traveling on the Dame Hellen to the capital when she was diverted here to assist us.”

So, she was a Duchess. He had read of the Duke’s death in the broadsheets several months back. Bedford was the second largest of the kingdoms providences. That would make her in the top ten in the line of succession. He hadn’t kept abreast of the order since he left active duty with the air corps. He was about to make his manners when she spoke. “Please Commander call me Catherine. I have only been a duchess for a month and I am already growing weary of hearing it. My name is Catherine please use it.”

Jake hesitated. He knew the proper response was he couldn’t possibly be so informal, but he also saw the sincerity of her comment. “If you insist and will call me by my given name Jake, I would be honored to do so.”

“Of course, Commander, I mean Jake. Would you tell me the story of your two eels you have Jake?”

Jake glanced to the admiral at his nod he said, “Several years back when my father was killed I transferred to the reserve fleet and took over operating his eeler. Last week, we had the Lady near the Old Man’s Teeth harvesting eels, when we were attacked by pirates. I was forced to dive into the mist when they attacked. Grace here took up a position off our port rail and led us through the canyons of the Teeth. Since then she has been with me. When she isn’t off hunting that is. Gail joined her then next day. In truth, I have become rather found of them both since then.” At hearing their names both eels again settled their heads on his shoulder. Without thought he rubbed each of them then continued, “I have harvested eels since I was six and learned more about them in the last week and half than I learned in the twenty plus years previously.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.