Tales From Mist World - Cover

Tales From Mist World

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Chapter 5: A homecoming to Remember

The added thrust had them within sight of the Innis port Lighthouse three hours after dark. They still had three hours at the current speed before they would reach Innis. Knowing they were close the captain had decided to push the Lady harder than he normally did, and ran at seventy-five percent thrusters after dark. She couldn’t run that fast all night, but he knew they’d make Innis well before daybreak. With Lt. Stevens on board he would be making port at the Military docks not the Lady’s usual berth. He knew he wouldn’t be able to see the Admiral before morning, but he didn’t want any further misunderstandings.

Jake had remained on deck most of the night. Normally His first and second mate handled the evening watch. With the charges against him Jake had a difficult time resting so he went up and relieved Bowmen. He was happy Grace and Gail had stayed asleep in his cabin. They were one more worry added to his list.

As they drew closer to Innis He took a final reading on the ships compass. The crown had developed a rather good system for navigation. Every port in the realm had Three major lighthouses built and manned around the port. Two of Innis’s lighthouses had been built on raised areas in the mist. This meant an approaching airship couldn’t get to Innis’s port unseen at night. The lighthouses had a revolving mirror and lens configuration that cast two bright beams far into the night as it rotated. The roofs of the lighthouses were a lens as well. They were designed to send a vertical beam high into the sky. This made getting a location fix much easier. Sight in the three lighthouses, record each’s compass reading, then plot it on the chart.

For added security special buoys were deployed. The buoys were basically a miniature floating lighthouse. They floated at five thousand feet creating a web of light through the hours of darkness. This prevented an airship form dropping out of the sky to attack the city. Every morning the buoys were pulled in. Jake had done that duty many times while at the academy. The tether on the buoy was also the power source for the light apparatus in the buoys. Pulling them in each morning only required turning off the lights. Then slowly turning down the lift power as the wench pulled in the buoy. Each night they were deployed by powering up the buoys lift gas, and reeling the buoy out. Then tuning on the light. The system of light webs had been developed and deployed centuries ago. Every decade or so there was talk of ceasing their operation except for emergencies, but every time the populous would get stirred up. The light web was a cities security blanket, and the citizenry wasn’t ready for it to be taken away.

With their position fixed, Jake sent for Lt. Stevens taking the helm while the Quinten ran his errand. Jake returned the helm to the helmsman and said, “Stevens, I thought you should be the one to signal the lighthouse of our arrival. I figure they will be much less likely to turn the guns our direction if you signal our approach then if they get a message from a suspected pirate.”

“Aye, aye sir. The commander should have signaled ahead, but better safe than sorry.”

Stevens went to the signal mirror and made sure the settings were correct. Then turned towards the nearest lighthouse and began send his message. The lighthouse signaled back and Stevens read it out loud as he received it. “My Lady’s Dream to proceed to Military Dock twenty-three at Innis port (stop) Expect escort before reaching Lighthouse crossing (stop) Captain Harrow and crew to remain onboard (stop) Air Corps Marines will secure for the night (stop) Stevens to be met by senior officer upon docking with further orders. (stop End of message)” he flashed his confirmation of having received the message. “Sir, was there anything else you wanted me to send?”

“No, there is nothing I need to say by flash message that shouldn’t wait to be said in person. By the tone of the message I would say someone is skeptical of the message Commander Green sent.”

“Sir, I believe they are just being extra cautious since we are coming in at night. I am sure they fully believe Commander Green’s Report he sent.”

“I’m sure you right.” He told the young Lieutenant. Jake knew it would depend on who received that report more than anything else. He knew of a few officers stationed here that would enjoy losing a report for a few days if it exonerated him. Two officers sprang to the top of that list.

The helmsman brought their speed down as they approached what was referred as the lighthouse crossing. It was the line between the two lighthouses that had been raised from the mist. He looked around for their escort, but didn’t see it until they crossed between the lighthouses. He almost laughed when he recognized the airship. Their escort was the Bulldog. Someone had sent a cruiser to escort him from the lighthouse to the dock. He would have laughed if the situation hadn’t been so serious. To make matters worse he knew the captain of the Bulldog. Commander Howard C Durand was a complete ass. He had been a complete ass in the academy when they had first met. Since then, he had only gotten worse. He felt his bloodlines should have merited him plumb positions and a faster rise through the officer ranks. He never passed up a chance to explain to anyone how the Air Corps was failing to use such a deserving key asset to his fullest potential. He had never forgiven Jake for beating him out for the posting on the Jonas Royal, what Durand felt was his by birthright.

Since his medical discharge the ass had made a point of tracking him down whenever he reported for his reserve detail and explaining to him why he would never be a real officer. He had been almost apoplectic when Jake made Commander before him. He knew he was standing next to one of the Bulldog’s guns itching to fire. He would be telling his crew how he all ways knew Harrow was a no-good pirate. Jake sighed. “Helm, keep us on a nice clean line if you please. The Bulldog is above and behind us. Unfortunately, she is under the command of another class mate of mine. Commander Durand would like nothing more than for us to give him a reason to open fire on us.”

Quinten looked at his captain with disbelief. “He wouldn’t really open fire on us if we drifted would he captain?”

Jake sighed again. “No, probably not, but I’d rather not find out just the same. Like I said he has a real hate for me. So, let’s not tempt him. Shall we?”

“Aye, aye Sir.”

Stevens was staring at Jake when he turned. He had the look of a man that had just figured out a great mystery. Jake was going to ask but Stevens beat him to it. “Sir, are you the jumped-up gutter trash that took his assignment because the Air Corps was trying to increase recruitment.”

Jake laughed at the question. “Is that how he tells it?” Stevens nodded. “Well I was the one who earned the assignment he felt his heritage deserved. Funny thing though, he didn’t get the second-best assignment or even the third. As I remember he got assigned to a border garrison. He was one of two of my classmates who didn’t get assigned to an airship. Both of them barely passed their finals as I recall. I guess he doesn’t tell that part of it.”

“No sir. He doesn’t. I was stationed on the Bulldog for my second cruise. He told us repeatedly of how he had the top marks at the academy, but was passed over for a propaganda stunt. Commander green had hinted that wasn’t entirely correct.”

“Well, if you really want to know, the academy keeps the list of class standing posted with the class pictures. That makes it easy enough to figure out which of us is right.”

“Beg your pardon sir, but I served under him, and I’ve met you. I think I know which way is up.”

Quinten had no trouble maneuvering the Lady into her temporary berth. Jake hoped it was only temporary. Lines were tossed over and snugged tight as the lady settled against the dock. They had barely finished getting the Lady settled before a gang plank was being positioned. Two crewmen had to rush to open the boarding rail. It didn’t seem whoever was in charge down there wanted to wait. With the gang plank secured a detachment of Air Marines boarded the Lady. They spread out and took up positions to cover the crew. Jake was getting rather angry at their actions. He didn’t like having weapons pointed at himself or his crew members.

The reason for their action became clear when Commander Durand stomped up onto the Lady’s deck. The smile on his face told Jake all he needed to know. Durand was the officer of the day. He had chosen to assign himself the escort. Commander Durand scanned the deck of the Lady then fixed Jake with an icy stare. “Who is the Captain of this piece of trash?” he hollered.

Jake refused to be intimidated. He kept his eyes locked on Durand and casually descended to the main deck. “That would be me as I am sure you are aware Howie.” The use of his academy nickname wiped the smile from Durand’s face. Before he could say anything, Jake went on, “Funny I don’t remember inviting you onboard my airship. Bowmen did you hear me invite Howie here aboard my airship?”

Bowmen answered, “No sir.” In a loud clear voice.

Durand tried to speak but Jake over rode him, “That means one of two things. Ether he has a warrant for our arrest and failed to properly present it and the local constabulary required to serve a warrant in port, or he just committed a felony by boarding my airship under arms and uninvited. Crown Law still views an airship as the domain of her Captain whether it is in the sky or docked. They didn’t change the laws in the last two weeks, did they?”

“I don’t need a warrant.” Durand bellowed. “Your scum. You have all ways been scum. Now you’re going to hang and I’m going to laugh when they pull the lever and you drop kicking.”

Jake stepped forward into Durand’s personal space. “This is a civilian airship. Under civilian law. We are docked at a military dock because we were ordered to by air control. Per military regulations, if you have a warrant you must properly present it before boarding a civilian vessel. You have failed to do that. Furthermore, if you had such a warrant, regulation require civilian authorities present during the execution of said nonexistent warrant when being served in port. You messed up again Howie. You could have boarded us outside the port and it would have been legal, but you thought you would intimidate me by using the Bulldog as escort. Now you are illegally on my airship. I suggest you disembark at once before I’m forced to do something you’ll really regret.”

Durand turned to the marine officer a lieutenant and said, “You heard him lieutenant he threatened me with bodily harm. I’m a superior officer and he threatened me. Arrest him.”

Jake laughed, “I threatened you with unpleasant consequence of your actions. When I file civilian charges against you it will ruin your pathetic career. Then you’ll have something real to blame me for instead of lying about being the top of our class.” Jake stepped forward causing the ass to step back. “Now get off my ship. Come back when you have a proper warrant and the proper authorities with you.”

Durand’s face was so red it looked like it was about to explode. He reached for his sidearm and started to draw it. Before he could two things happened. The marine lieutenant stepped forward and grabbed his wrist, and Jake drew his sidearm and pointed it between Durand’s eyes. With as close as they were the barrel nearly touched his forehead. Jake was very careful not to actually touch the man. Durand froze and went white as Jake thumbed the hammer back on the big revolver. The two men stood less the two feet apart separated by a loaded and cocked pistol. The only sound onboard was the heavy breathing of Commander Durand.

As the two men stood locked in what might be their final meeting. The sound of boots on the gang plank was heard. When they reached the top, they stopped and a large chested man asked, “Permission to come aboard captain?” his words were followed by the lieutenant yelling attention admiral on deck, and snapping to attention.

Jake didn’t turn he just said, “Permission granted Admiral. I’m glad you here sir.”

The admiral approached the two men and asked, “You plan on killing him Captain Harrow?”

“Haven’t decided yet. Before you arrived, I was leaning in that direction.”

“I see. Was there a particular reason or just tired of his ass after all these years.”

“Little of both, mostly he tried to draw his sidearm on me after illegally board my airship. When he reached for it I drew. Then I realized I could end him and would be totally within the letter of the law. Probably be a real pain in the ass for me though.”

“You have no idea. The amount of paper work that would involve for both of us. If I ask you as a favor not to make me fill out all that paperwork, will you not kill him?”

“I’lll give you until the count of ten, to get him off My Lady. Then we are both going to be filling out paperwork.”

“Commander Durand you will reach with your left hand and undue you weapons belt. Then slowly lower it to the deck. When you’ve completed that you will return to duty office as fast as you can run where you will remain until I personally arrive. You are relieved of duty Commander. Lieutenant you and your men will escort him. You will assume officer of the day duties until I can send you relief.”

Both men said Yes sir. Jake started counting. Durand moved much faster than Jake thought the admiral had ordered but he didn’t care. He wanted the man gone. Durand cleared the deck by the time Jake said six and the gang plank by eight. Jake holstered his pistol and turned to great the admiral properly. “Admiral, welcome aboard my ship ‘My Lady’s Dream’. I can’t tell you how glad I am to see you.”

“Captain Harrow would it be possible for you and I to go to you cabin and have a word in private?”

“Of ‘course sir. Right this way.” Jake him to his cabin and opened the door to allow him entry. The admiral took three steps then stopped. Jake realized why when he heard the eels start hissing. He called from behind the admiral, “Grace Gail enough. Um, excuse me sir might be better if you let go in first.” The Admiral turned and stepped to the side letting Jake thru. Jake walked to the eels and rubbed each of their heads. “Easy lady’s this is a friend. Settle down.” They did settle down and each wrapped a portion of the tail around his arm and settling their head on his shoulders from behind.

“Jake, how long have you had Sky Eels as part of you crew?”

“Not long sir. Four days to be exact. Grace here lead us through the Old Man’s Teeth. Because of her I was able to keep the ship in one piece and my crew alive.” Jake rubbed Grace’s head.

“I see. I have to say, having those two on your arms like that, well. It makes you look like a pirate from some play or something.”

Jake chuckled, “Cal King of the Pirates. I’ve seen the play sir.”

“Very well, now to business. You’ve been accused of being the captain of the Raven a known pirate vessel.” Before Jake could defend himself, the admiral went on, “I know. It is a total load of garbage. But charges have been made. That means you’ll have to defend against them. You have your ship’s logs of course. The fact you make an eel run in two or three weeks when others take more than a month or two months, will work both for you and against you. I have a team going through the known sightings and attacks for the Raven seeing if we can positively prove you were on duty during some of them at least. You’ll need a good attorney.”

Jake let the man finish. He was moved that the admiral was here trying to help him. “Sir if I may. I don’t think that will be necessary.” He stepped to the safe in the corner of his cabin. He unlocked it and removed the Raven’s logs. Then turned and said, “These are the logs off the Raven. Both the captain’s and the Purser’s logs. They will exonerate me. If that isn’t enough, I can lead an Air Corps ship to the Raven’s crash sight. The damage to her is easily identifiable as rocket damage. This ship is equipped with rockets not heavy cannon. Commander Green told me the name of the Raven’s Captain matches the name of the man who filed charges against me. I know his airship. It is a fast-mid weight freighter. It is most definitely equipped with heavy cannon not rockets.”

The admiral smile for the first time since he had come aboard. He took the logs and sat at the captain’s desk to scan through them. He didn’t need long before he found what he was looking for. He raised his head and looked at Jake a huge smile on his face. “I think we have got that bastard, my boy. Yes, I think he is going to be one hanging.” He stood and headed for the door with the logs in hand. “He is in a hospital with a broken right leg and a severely sprained left ankle. I think I’ll send some folks to have a talk with him, and clap him in irons.”

“Sir, might I suggest a different path.” The admiral stopped and turned to look at Jake, then he made a go on gesture. “I’ve been studying the logs. The Raven and other Pirates operate out of a base several hours’ fast flight from here. The problem is it’s in the mist, and the logs don’t give any real directions. Not directions that could be used to find its location. What if we, I mean you, had your investigators tell this captain that the Lady was sighted limping back. That you sent the Bulldog out to escort her back, and I would soon be in custody. I think that might scare him into making a mistake. He might just lead you to the pirate’s base.”

The admiral’s face was split in two by his huge grin, and the look of triumph in his eyes made Jake glad he wasn’t at that base. “I like it. Yes, I like it very much indeed. We’ve known they had a base around here somewhere. We just haven’t ever been able to find it. Hmm. We’ll need to get your ship out of sight. If he hears you were brought in already he’ll know it’s a trap. Yes, and I’ll have the investigator tell him the Bulldog’s captain seized logs from the Raven that were found in your position. That will put the fear of god into him. I have to go get this all started.” He paused a thoughtful look on his face. Then said, “That fool is the Captain of the Bulldog still. I can’t send her out without him, and I really don’t want to send him out at all.”

“I could file formal charges for what he did earlier. He brought armed men on my ship without permission or authority. If I do that you would have to remove him from his post until it was settled.”

The admiral was nodding as he said, “That would work, and he definitely put his foot firmly in the slop bucket this time. You realize you’ll make some powerful enemies if you follow through with this. His family has major connections. It’s the only reason he has command of the Bulldog. You’ll be making them your enemies if you do this.”

“I’ve recently learned he’s been telling his underlings I stole his posting after the academy as a propaganda stunt. I doubt his family was ever friendly towards me. I’ll take my chances. Besides, there is nothing that says I have to follow it through to the end. I can drop the charges before it goes to trial. That would keep him out of your hair for a few weeks or months at least.”

The admiral nodded and then returned to Jake’s desk. “I’m barrowing a piece of paper.” He took up Jakes pen and started writing speaking out loud as he wrote. “By order of Admiral Teller, Commander Innis Air Corps Defense Force, Crown Air Cops, I hereby Order Jacob Harrow, Commander Innis Reserve Air Corps, to report for active duty no later than 0600 hours. Commander Harrow is temporarily assigned as acting Captain of the Crown Airship HMS Bulldog for operation” he paused then asked, “What is the name of this place Jake?”

“Keeper’s Mist sir.”

“Hmm, very well. Commander Harrow is temporarily assigned as acting Captain of the Crown Airship HMS Bulldog for operation Keeper. With all duty, responsibilities and privileges this assignment entails. Signed Fleet Admiral Johnathan K Teller. Do you have any wax?”

Jake opened a drawer and gave him his choice of waxes. The admiral chose the blue of the Air Corps and used his own lighter to melt a glob of it onto the paper. Then pressed his signet ring to the wax sealing it. It made a second copy and sealed it too. “There that’s all taken care of. You’ll need to go to the duty office and write out the formal charges. You do have a uniform onboard, don’t you?”

“Yes sir. I keep my uniforms in my duffel stowed under my bunk.” He pointed to the item as he said it.

“Good, good. I have to be going I have a lot of details to be taking care of. Oh, one more thing. We need to keep your ship out of sight. There is an empty warehouse that she should fit in nicely. I can’t order you to use it, but I can request you do.” Jake nodded his agreement. “Very well, will your crew be alright being locked in while we deal with this?”

“I’ll speak to them. I’m sure they will understand that being sequestered on the Lady is preferable to being locked in a jail cell. I believe cook has sufficient stores for another week.”

“My executive officer will know of them of course. He’ll check on them or send someone to check on them. If they run low of provisions the Air Corps will take care of them. You have my word on it.”

“Thank you sir.”

With that the admiral pick up the logs and left. The cabin Jake followed him to the gang plank. Before disembarking Admiral Teller said, “Be sure you take your new pets with you when you report to the Bulldog. That will make for some interesting scuttlebutt. I’ll send a runner with directions to the warehouse as soon as I get to my office.” He laughed as he left.

Jake smiled at the thought of taking the two eels onboard the HMS Bulldog. The admiral was right. It would definitely have tongues wagging. “Bowmen assemble the crew. I have news they need to hear.”

“Aye, aye sir.”

The crew of the Lady were mostly still on deck from the earlier ruckus. Cook and his helper for the night came up on deck and everyone was gathered below the pilot deck. “Getlemen, I’ve been ordered to take command of the HMS Bulldog temporarily. She and a few other airships will hopefully be heading out to destroy a pirate stronghold. Admiral Teller has a plan to find this stronghold that should work. However, it requires we be out of sight, or rather you and the lady be out of sight. So, bowmen you will have charge of the Lady. If you need anything food or other stores, the admiral said his XO would provide it. I’ll be gone for anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Once we have engaged the pirate’s stronghold the Xo will let you know and you will be free to go about your business. Bowmen will move the Lady to her normal berth, and negotiate the sale of her cargo. He and Garver will distribute pay in my absence. When I return, we’ll open the chest and figure out the shares. Any questions?”

“Captain your taking over command of the Bulldog. That means you could take one of with you as your steward. Most of us are in the reserve. I’d love to go as your steward sir.” Said one of the twins. Several other crewmembers voiced their desire to go as well.

Jake was touched that his men wished to accompany him. He smiled and said, “The only problem is, how would I know what to call you. Are you Paul or Patrick?” the Crew burst out laughing. “I have to report to the duty office at 0600. Any of you have a uniform onboard?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.