Tales From Mist World - Cover

Tales From Mist World

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Chapter 4: Good Friends and Bad News

Midafternoon they spotted a convoy. It was far to their south and heading away from their direction of travel. Jake used the signal mirror and flashed them a message. He told them he had been attacked by the Reaver and the Raven Five days’ past. The response surprised him. “Prepare to be boarded” while it wasn’t unheard of for the Air Corps to board and inspect an airship underway. They usually did it when on patrol not while escorting a convoy.

“Prepare for company it would seem we are to be inspected.” He called to the crew. “Helm turn us so we can meet our inspectors part way. No use in irritating them, or making them think we are running.”

“Aye, aye Captain.”

The lady turned heading for the convoy. The lookout reported a scout ship was descending towards them at great speed. Jake was worried. This was very much not the normal procedure for the Air Corps. The scout was making a speed dive. That was normally used for one of two things. The scouts used it to travel great distances very fast. The distance here wasn’t that far. That wasn’t why they were doing it. The only other reason they would do so was to attack a fleeing airship. The lady wasn’t fleeing though. Jake couldn’t fathom why the scout was speed diving at them.

“Helm, Full stop.” He turned and bellowed All hands to the Main mast. I repeat, all hands to main mast. Secure the sails.” He turned and repeated his orders in to the speaking tube. Soon the deck was a beehive of activity as the crew went about securing the sails and gathering at the main mast. Jonas looked to his captain. Jake could see both confusion and worry on the man face. “I’m not sure Jonas. Convoy escorts don’t normally stop to do an inspection. Nor do scouts speed dive for an inspection. So, I want to make sure we aren’t presenting any reason at all for them to think we are trying to flee, or intend to fight.” Jonas nodded.

Bowmen and Garver soon joined him near the helm. He explained what was going on and his reasoning. Garver nodded his understanding and hurried to the main deck to get the crew settled down. Bowmen went and secured the weapons lockers. Making sure all the ships weapons were accounted for and locked away. In the activity, he hadn’t noticed when Grace and Gail had joined him. He wondered what the Airmen would make of his new crew members.

Garver had the crew sitting around the mast. It was the most non-threating thing he could think of. They didn’t look happy, but they weren’t complaining to much yet. The scout arrested its speed drive. It circled above them twice before coming to rest right over the Lady. Soon a rope was tossed over and two airmen came repelling down. They were dressed in full combat gear. Jake knew this wasn’t a normal inspection. If the speed dive hadn’t been enough, the airmen in combat gear would have been.

One of the two took up position guarding the crew with a pump shotgun. The other marched up the ladder to pilot deck. When he arrived the LTJG drew his side arm and pointed it at Jake. Then said, “Captain Harrow you and your crew are hereby under arrest for acts of piracy against the Crown. Will you come peacefully or should I shoot your pirate ass now?”

Jake was seething inside. “Lieutenant, I am no more a pirate then you are. Of course, I will come peacefully. My crew will do nothing to hamper you in your duties in any way. You have my word as an officer we will cooperate.” The LTJG snorted at his comment. Grace took his snort and manner poorly. She raised back and hissed at the Lieutenant. Gail joined her a heartbeat later. Jake reached up and rubbed both of their heads trying to calm them. “Easy Grace. It’s ok. Calmed down. There’s a good girl.” The two eels calmed but each wrapped their tails around his upper arm. With the eels calmed he slowly reached for his belt buckle saying, “I’m going to remove my weapons belt. Then step back so you can retrieve it. We don’t want any accidents or misunderstandings do we Lieutenant?”

“There won’t be any misunderstandings captain. You’re a pirate and a traitor. So, if I choose to shoot you I am in my right.”

Jake slowly dropped his weapons belt to the deck and stepped back. Then said, “Before you go threatening to murder me Lieutenant, and that is what you just did. You should know I was an officer in the Crown Air Corps, and I am still an officer in the reserve. You will address me as Commander Harrow is that clear Lieutenant? I’m sure Admiral Teller will be interested to learn of his men’s professionalism in carrying out their duty.”

The LTJG grimaced at Jake’s words. He stepped forward and retrieved his weapons belt. When he stood up he had his weapons belt looped over his shoulder. The young officer still had his pistol pointed at Jake. Jake was getting very irritated with the young man. “You and your crew will be held on the main deck Captain.” He empathized the rank Captain. “If you or men try anything we will kill you. Do I make myself clear Captain? That goes for your beasts as well.”

“Lieutenant Junior Grade what is your name?”

“That is none of your business scum.”

Jake put a thoughtful look on his face then said, “Per regulation 20-401 all officers and enlisted are required to both fully and properly identify themselves when executing and arrest warrant. You do have an arrest warrant don’t you LTJG. I mean if you don’t have one then this would be classified as an act of piracy, and your failure to follow regulations could be seen as you trying to cover up your crimes. Now I am willing to overlook your disregard of the regulations. If you correct your mistake now.” Jake smiled at the young officer. It wasn’t a pleasant smile.

The young man relented and said, “Lieutenant Junior Grade Beckworth. Are you happy?”

“Very well, LTJG Beckworth let us proceed to the main deck. Did you want my helmsman to join us and let the ship drift?”

The LTJG’s face turned red at his question. “No of course not. He is to remain here and keep the ship on course.”

Jake was about to order Ricco to do just that when the forward lookout called, “Launch approaching from the frigate. Flash message from the frigate.”

Jake turned and looked to the frigate but he couldn’t read the message without his glass. He stepped to the mirror mounted on the rail and used the scope there to read the message. He smiled as he read it. The LTJG was not going to like this message. “LTJG the message is for you.” He stepped away from the mirror and crossed to the starboard rail keeping his hands in view.

The LTJG moved to the mirror and said, “Don’t try anything”

“I know you’ll shot my pirate ass.” Jake interrupted.

His interruption earned him a glare. The LTJG took his place at the mirror and read the message. Jake knew the instant he had the message because the young officer’s body stiffened. The clunk of boots hitting the main deck grabbed his attention. He turned to see a new officer had arrived on his ship. This one was a full Lieutenant not a LTJG. He hurried to the pilot deck and glanced around before he snapped a salute to Jake. Jake returned the salute and the LT asked, “Commander Harrow?” when Jake nodded he went on “I’m Lt Stevens. I have a message from Commander Green sir. He sends his compliments and thanks you for your quick response to his boarding request. Furthermore, he is on his way here in the Captains Launch. Sir, I was told to tell you, you still owe him a drink and he expects to collect when he arrives.”

Jake couldn’t keep his smile off his face. “Lieutenant I would be very happy to offer my old classmate a drink when he arrives. However, I fear the LTJG would feel the need to carry out his threat of shooting me if I were to retrieve said drink for Commander Green.”

The Lieutenant’s face became stormy as he glanced from Jake to the LTJG then back again. “Beckworth why do you have Commander Harrow’s weapons? You were ordered to board the ship and secure it for the arrival of an officer off the Grey Dove. Nowhere in those orders did it say to threaten its Captain or relieve him of his weapons.”

“Sir, I thought it prudent to do so, seeing as he is under arrest for piracy.”

“Tell me LTJG do you have an arrest warrant for the captain? No, you don’t. The captain is to be detained on the suspicion of piracy not arrested for piracy. Do you realize what you’ve done? You’ve, you’ve boarded a civilian vessel under arms and taken her captain hostage. THAT IS PIRACY LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADE BECKWORTH!” The last was more of a scream then a shout. Jake was worried for Lt Stevens. The LTJG was shaking at the LT’s words and he still had his pistol in his hand. Jake had all ways made it a rule to never dress down a subordinate while they were under arms. The Lt realized his mistake and said, “Un-cock that weapon and holster it now.” The junior officer complied.

“You will return to the ship immediately. If I were you I would pray to all the gods that Commander Harrow doesn’t file charges against you.” The young man was on the top steps when the LT barked, “Return his weapons before you leave Beckworth.” The poor young officer turned around and marched dejectedly to Jake. When he offered him his weapons belt, the look on his face was one of hate.

Jake took his belt and thanked him trying to end this little drama. The eels were getting agitated at him being so close. They had both tightened up on his arms as he approached and Grace was emitting a very low hiss. Without a word the young officer marched off the pilot deck and reattached his harness to the rope. With a wave of his hand he was pulled back aboard the scout ship.

When he was safely out of sight Lt. green said, “Sir my apologies for his behavior. I know it doesn’t change anything. But, well, you see sir he lost both his parents and a little sister to pirates less than a year ago, we got the message of your suspected piracy before we left yesterday. I understand he was out of line and I will put him on report. This will be the third time he has overreacted since his family’s death.”

“LT why don’t we forget about it. I’ll mention to Commander Green that he may want to transfer the LTJG to garrison duty while he works out his difficulty. If he does that it won’t be a bad mark on his records.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.