Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe - Cover

Metamorphosis: The Story of Marilyn Monroe

 

Chapter 2

She did, and started to play the song of the same name from GUYS AND DOLLS. As she did, I thought a song with that beat count might work out somewhere in the show. I gave her that idea, and she was quiet for a while, writing the sheet music we needed for our first song together in over two years. She is very good and very fast at it. Software to do that would be a big help, but it hasn’t happened, as of yet.

I moved to my laptop, where I tapped out a short scene, between Gladys, Albert, and Ida Bohlender that explained how Norma Jean ended up with them.

This reduces the characters needed by at least two; neither alleged father needs to exist, as a person. I had Audrey come over to look at it, and she thought it was pretty good. A good audition scene for just about any of the adults in the show, that’s important!

One more song for when she’s being played by someone other than our ‘Marilyn’ actress.

Audrey touched my shoulder as she got up from reading my scene; we exchanged smiles as she sat back down to the electric piano.

I decided to switch it up and write some lyrics to ‘It Won’t Happen Again.’

With my hands hovering over my Dell keyboard, I stopped to think. Over and over, I ran the expression through my brain, ‘it won’t happen again.”

Then, it started pouring out of me...

“This day has happened once before,
a day I give free rein,
The love I’ve had for each of them,
I just cannot explain.
It seems to be that I must have
some providence in mind,
Because I can’t go through this life
with blinders on, defined”

“As the kind of girl that they all want,
a piece for everyone.
I need a guy, that special guy,
and not just anyone.”

“It won’t happen again,
These men are all the same
It won’t happen again
I guess I am to blame”

“The day I hope will never come
I have to end it all
They’ll all ask, ‘what happened to her, ‘
they won’t care how I fall”

“It won’t happen again,
I’ll pick a great stage-name
It won’t happen again,
They’ll all remember - my – fame!”

I just looked at this for a while, wondering how I captured this wonderful sounding set of lyrics. Now, all I need is for Audrey to put the best melody she’s ever created to it. That would be no small feat, but she’s done some marvelous melodies before.

I finally got the courage to print this and I handed it off to her.

She looked at it, then at me, and back at it. I saw a tear.

She placed it on the music stand of the electric piano, and the most gorgeous melody came out, as she sang it as she performed.

I got behind her and we did the chorus together, both times. She added a flourish to the end, got up, turned around and gave me the best kiss of my entire life.

“What the hell was that?” I said.

“I’m sorry, I got excited! That’s a fucking great song, Richard. Far and away the best song you’ve ever written, bar none,” she said.

“We still need at least one fast paced number for the first act, Audrey – Do you have any ideas for that?” I asked, still shaking her kiss off, not sure how deeply it affected me. No time for any of that. Back to work.

“Name me a song the speed you want, Lover!” she looked over at me and smiled.

“Hmmmm, something like that Dean Martin classic, ‘Ain’t That A Kick In The Head, ‘ maybe 130 to 150 beats per minute.”

“Who’ll be singing this, exactly Rich?”

“I see the oldest Norma Jeane, maybe 19 to 21, just before she becomes Marilyn, starting this song. It ends with a blackout. The same young lady, now dressed as Marilyn, comes out at the beginning of the second act, Marilyn, and finish’s the song she started as Norma. Ugh, that makes for five Norma Jeane’s.”

“You’re crying, Richard,” Audrey noticed.

“So will she ... Audrey. This song needs a build, so you know it’s the end of the first act, and the end of Norma Jeane.”

“Audrey, how does this compare with the music it came with?”

“The difference is night and day, Rich ... It was a dud, we may have a Hit, a real big hit on our hands, here,” Audrey answered.

That whole time, between ‘42 until ‘47 will be exposited in the first scene of the Second Act. I sent Audrey home, I need to think about this show ... and my growing feelings for her.


The next day, around one pm, a knock was heard at my front door. I yelled, “Come in Audrey, its unlocked.”

She came in and waved hi, “I could have been a killer or a rapist, Rich!”

“A killer I’d never remember, a rapist I’d never forget,” I said to her giggle.

“You sure always know how to lighten the mood, Rich.”

“Get in the nude ... what was that?” I said coming out putting on a t-shirt.

“First,” she said, “We need to set the record straight, I’ve had some ... feelings for you over the last couple of years, and have been deathly afraid to act on them. What’s that saying about friends and lovers? Anyway, we have too much to do, to do anything except write scenes and songs, OK with you?”

“Sure, and for the record, I always thought ... you had a big butt, I’m ... so ... glad that’s finally out in the open; I’ve been so ashamed!” I said, a little bit too mockingly.

“Butthead!”

“Does this mean, we can flirt again, Pretty girl? I’ve really missed flirting with you. Depending on your reaction, I may go out somewhere to try to get a couple of one-night stands. You know, to get back my Mojo?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.