Domain Warz
Chapter 16: Infiltrators

Copyright© 2017 by Noddy

Apart from a few ... accidents, all centralised around myself, raids on Eden had been progressing rather smoothly for the past few days. Which has led to a problem I didn’t realise I was going to have. My domain is too small.

I didn’t fully understand the scope of the task I had laid out before me when I self-righteously launched into this crusade, and more importantly, I didn’t comprehend just what this game is too many of the people who play it.

As it turns out, Earth is relatively entitled amongst the countless numbers of other planets or realms or alternate realities or whatever the fuck that has been sucked into this game. Among many of these places, the weak and young use the game to escape, primarily having it become their ‘real’ world while their world is plunged into chaos and madness as players with unimaginable powers wreak havoc.

Just when some super-powered freak becomes more potent than the rest and takes over, allowing things to start calming down, another monster with more abnormal powers shows up. After 20 years in the game, they then kill the ruling party, because for the ruling party to dominate the world and bring it some measure of peace they murdered a whole bunch of people that the second new guy was partial to. Like their parents, or children, or dog, or whatever it is that person holds dear.

In fact, as a brief tangent, I heard rumours of a planet that was obliterated entirely because the group taking over the world on that particular day accidentally blew some little kids pet frog to pieces in a massive battle. 32 years later, the kid returns with a vengeance so violent that the entire planet implodes under his power.

Thus continues the cycle of madness that is no doubt in the festering stages of outbreak on Earth. If not for the fact that my planet has already been through a catastrophic apocalypse while inhabited by my race, perhaps things would be worse. It’s only thanks to our understanding of precisely what it entails to completely obliterate everything to such a stage that everyone is somehow keeping their madness in check.

Regardless, these idle tangents of thought aren’t helping my situation at all. Thanks to the success of our raiding teams, my domain is now facing a sudden crisis. Thousands of refugees have entirely flooded every available inch of land. Well, almost ... No one is crazy or stupid enough to try and inhabit the Poison Smog. The few individuals that have attempted have taken away my need to worry about them after they turned into a puddle of sludge, indistinguishable from the rest of the slowly decomposing ... wet mass that covers the marshes of the dead forest.

The few individuals that have attempted to excavate into the ground and take some real estate from the spawn have all ... well ... let’s not speak of such things. Unspeakable things are unspeakable after all.

Despite my efforts to encourage people to move to 6 Star instead of cluttering my domain, so many have refused that it’s making a significant strain on what little space and resources I have left here. It’s not even that I don’t have the resources available to support them, it’s merely that I can’t use said resources because there’s only so much you can cram into the land available.

I’ve stolen plenty of exciting things from Eden in the past few days, but regardless of this, I can’t use them without somewhere to put them.

As if my problems weren’t enough, even more people are pouring in from 6 Star in an attempt to join my war or attain citizenship on a domain crazy enough to crusade against a Quest Planet.

This all leads us up to this moment 4 days after I first reopened portals to Eden, which was far sooner than I’d expected.


“ ... and so ... I’ll be closing the portals for the short term and delaying our crusade ... err ... until my domain is bigger and I can support all the people that want to live here...”

Following the end of his explanation to the sea of people surrounding him, Murphy turned around and started to use deprive on the portals to Eden. At the same time, many people began to yell or comment out from behind him, and Seelie stood nearby with a slightly irked expression on her face.

A completely furred creature with backwards feet lumbered above others around him at nearly 8 feet tall and growled the loudest.

“You didn’t explain anything! You just and said ‘and so... ‘ then declared you’re closing the portals. What about the crusade?! What about the people still trapped on Eden?!”

Another strange race, looking something like a seal with an elephant’s trunk, let out a few loud trumpets with its elongated snout. Everyone who’d never met such a creature gave it strange looks as subtitles magically popped up around it as if this was somehow always how these animals communicated ... with subtitles...

“My family are still trapped over there! Please! You can’t do this! What about my children, they’ll become orphans on a world they’re hunted!”

Everyone then watched on as Murphy read this and collapsed to his knees spewing blood out of every orifice at the realisation of how many poor children were trapped on the other side of these portals that he couldn’t immediately save. Despite that, he remained firm and closed another entrance, even as he cried tears of blood while doing it.

Seelie, with a twitching eyebrow, stepped up a rickety old box that Murphy had been using for his dignified speech and redirected the Death Glare she’d been giving Murphy for his total lack of charisma at the crowds surrounding them and clamouring in an uproar. The moment her cold eyes swept across the group, everyone shut up, and a strange silence hung over the entire domain.

Some people even clutched at their hearts and dropped dead right there and then, solely from this casual glance around by Seelie.

With silence reigning supreme, she finally started to explain.

“I’m sure some of you have come to realise by now that things are starting to get very crowded around here. It was our fault as the Domain Lord’s for not having made proper preparations prior to this.” She then gave Murphy another wordless glare as if reprimanding him for his rashness back then and then returned her glare to the crowds, killing a few more people by accidentally making eye contact with them for too long.

“I was of the opinion that we simply kick all of your sorry asses off our domain right now. Hardly any of you have contributed to our domain at all and are just squatters. Many of you don’t even leave the domain to collect food and just beg and steal from the few that do and our actual citizens. Murphy is insistent that we should be taking responsibility for you until you’re on your feet and can take care of yourselves. It’s the least we can do seeing as we decided to be so nosy as to poke our business into your lives.

As such, in order to adequately deal with you all, Murphy has been forced to delay his crusade, and we will instead be going through a short development period for the domain. Putting everything we stole from Eden to use, doing some raids to increase our land mass, and building. Again, anyone squatting here is welcome to leave, in fact, I encourage you to fuc...”

“Ahem!” Murphy interrupted that tangent with a brief strangled cough and Seelie moved on as if she wasn’t about to insist everyone piss off right now.

“As I was saying, we need to refocus our attention for a period of time and maintain the Domain. The crusade is postponed until further notice, but we will eventually be returning to continue this war. Even if it’s unlikely we can end it anytime soon.”

At the completion of her announcement, the crowds around them exploded into discussion, many doubtful or confused or entirely apathetic. One thing was for sure, no one was stupid enough to openly question this frightening Co-Domain Lord of Murphy’s. Mostly because anyone that bore the full front of her stare would instantly collapse, some even taking so much damage they simply died on the spot.

After closing the last portal, Murphy got an eccentric notification from the system.

‘Ping! Murphy’s Law has caused a Happy Accident. + 40 Luck!’

That had been the happiest accident he’d ever caused, but worryingly, he couldn’t figure out what exactly he’d accidentally done. Deciding not to worry about it, he and Seelie retreated back to their castle as everyone else just sort of mulled about and took up space like a herd of cattle, no offence intended for the actual cattle like people within said herd ... who were well ... never mind.

Everyone then felt the disconcerting sensation of the Domain changing direction and shooting off towards the stars in the bright daylit sky.


In the war room of the castle, Murphy had started constructing a star map using his Mana Cartography. By this point in time, Murphy’s Mana Cartography had reached level 8 and had a few impressive abilities. Murphy was still amused by this skill because he felt it was something that should have needed the Imbue skill. Perhaps the only reason it didn’t need it was because he was actually constructing something out of his mana instead of merely altering something else.

Nonetheless, it still worked even with his mana that was filled with a mixed bag of strange properties. Most notably it was now at the point where it was entirely interactive for everyone, not just himself. The spawn were all busy running around the room poking dots of light and watching it expand into a view of a domain.

The best part about this was the map continually updated itself every time Murphy went out and looked around at the sky. Being able to create an image of another domain was a little harder though, requiring him to go and borrow the telescope in Seelie’s observation tower and actually view said domain.

More importantly, his Puzzle Solving skill and Mathematics skill both came into use as they allowed him to more or less track the movement patterns of domains which let him mark them in his star map, otherwise they would all just remain as stars, and he wouldn’t know which was which.

While staring through a telescope out the window and his map updated behind him, Seelie was taking advantage of her scholar skill to correlate all the information she could gather from the system. As she poured it into the star map, Murphy’s skill seemed to just gobble it all up and then automatically allocate it without any assistance.

Where Murphy had originally had to input information personally, the cartography skill was feeding off all his other skills and constantly updated itself without the need for him to do so personally. In particular, it took advantage of a few skills he’d recently gained while trying to train his senses, something called Mass Computation and Divided Mind.

Mass Computation came as a result of him trying to focus all his attention onto a single sense and then try and interpret that information. With all the abuse he’d given his eyes and ears lately they had reached abnormal levels of sensitivity and focus. The divided mind then came from this same action except trying to do it with two different senses at once. Amusingly, these were both skills Seelie had since they were still back on Newb Planet going through the tutorial.

These weren’t his only gains from such training though. Namely, he gained Focused Mind and Heightened Senses both allowing him to do things he’d never thought possible. Focused Mind in specific gave him an unparalleled level of focus on a task.

After a short time more of updating, a huge map of every star within sight from their domain was uploaded into the map.

In the war room, sitting atop the pedestal, Murphy’s star map swirled around the duo in every direction with their little island of a domain sitting right in the centre of it. Murphy was looking around him with eye’s sparkling like a child having just discovered a new toy while Seelie was watching Murphy with sparkling eyes because this was the first time she’d been able to spend alone with him since the crusade began.

Murphy’s eyes then became focused, and he started to flick his hands around oddly like some kind of instructor. Slowly, various stars began to glow an ominous red colour and with another flick of the hand all the other stars disappeared completely. Murphy then focused on the closest red star to themselves and made an action as if gripping it with his fingers and pulled apart, like he was stretching something out.

It then blew out entirely until the view of a large domain filled their view. The entire domain just looked like an island that was blacked out to appear like a silhouette.

“Hmm. Still too far away for me to actually see it from here huh?”

Murphy scratched at his chin, which had started to grow some rough but disparate stubble and gazed into the sky for a little longer. Finally, he just shrugged.

“Guess we’ll just go attack them anyway. What’s the worst that could happen?” He very irresponsibly muttered to himself. After some stretching and a few decimals gained in agility, Murphy strode off into the dungeons of the castle, all while ignoring the glare Seelie was trying to burn through his skull for not taking the chance to do more girl/boy things ... of which they’d almost done none.

After climbing down an unnecessarily long spiral staircase, Murphy stepped into an immaculately clean and tidy open space. Although he called it the dungeon it was looked far from what would be expected in such an evil looking castle. The walls were made of white marble and scattered with torches to ensure it was well lit.

It wasn’t cramped but appeared to be just a single white marble room almost 100 metres wide and long. The roof was nearly 30 metres high and had various strange stones that poured soft light out to fill every corner of the room. While the room itself didn’t appear dungeon-like, the contents were far more fitting of the misconception the word dungeon inspires.

Scattered around the perfectly flat marble floor were dozens of strange and murderous-looking contraptions that would give high-level torturer’s wet dreams. Lining the walls were various doors marked with signboards equating to things like ‘sword chamber’ or ‘fire pit’ and if all this wasn’t enough, a select few incredibly wild and crazed looking spawn were flitting about the place covered in all manner of handheld torture devices.

As Murphy walked into the ‘dungeon’, he split off part of his consciousness to go to the Domain Zone and change the direction of the domain along with handling some other boring administrative tasks. Meanwhile, his body continued to stride past various pieces of blood-stained ‘furniture’ until he found himself in the centre of the room, where he was met by the crazed looking spawn that had previously been trying to whip or shoot arrows at each other.

“Rar rah rar yah!?”

Asked one of the spawn curiously, while pointing at some equipment on his person that looked like they’d been ransacked from a butcher’s shop.

Murphy seemed to think for a moment then shook his head.

“No, not today Stabby Mc’Stabingkins. Is the new training room ready?”

Stabby Mc’Stabingkins looked slightly down heartened that his master wasn’t planning to let him do various unspeakable things to him today, but nonetheless nodded and pointed at the far end of the dungeon were a large obsidian door covered in cartoonish warnings and promises of death were illustrated.

Murphy just chuckled, petted Stabby on the head and quickly stalked off towards the door. This door was something Murphy had invested quite a bit of experience points and materials in to, and was a project he’d called all the best craftsmen on his domain to assist in. He only hoped it would be worth it, because not even he knew what was going to be beyond it.

He felt all the hair on his body standing up on end as he approached the door and goosebumps slowly rising along his skin on every exposed part of his body. It got to the point that it was almost overwhelming as he reached out and pushed on the colossal obsidian doors that were the entrance to some place of unspeakable horrors.

The moment the door cracked open even slightly, a burst of blue light spilt forth and enveloped him. The obsidian door then quickly slammed shut with a shuddering boom and cut the light off, revealing an empty space where Murphy had been standing beforehand.


“Greetings, disgusting enslaver.”

So the first thing to greet me after that blinding light was complete blackness and a deep and sonorous voice, calling me names rather petulantly. After a moment a glowing red crystal formed from nothing in front of me. I could feel the menace and killing intent spilling off this strange creature the moment it appeared.

It definitely wanted to kill me ... which was more or less its job.

“Stop thinking about pointless things, you stupid brute. Everything is prepared for the first ten floors. I’m still building further, and your domain inhabitants have given me a great deal of help. Unsurprisingly, they seem to want you dead almost as much as me.”

This shining ray of happy sunlight is Gorby. He belongs to an extraordinary species of creature called a Dungeon Core. Most dungeons in Domain Wars are system generated and have no such thing, instead just being a spawn point for less than sentient beasts or inhabited by unscrupulous individuals for some strange reason I’ve yet to fully understand. Perhaps just a natural quirk of all necromancers and dark mages?

Anyway, I happened to find Gorby just chilling out in a dungeon I was trying to steal from Eden. Turns out, there are some things even I can’t take. Well ... with the deprive skill anyways, it was plenty easy enough to steal Gorby with my hands ... err ... I mean, re-appropriate? Well ... my point is that I now have this strange being, which from my understanding is capable of building and controlling a dungeon entirely by itself.

With this knowledge at hand, I put Gorby to work building a dungeon on my domain. Unfortunately, all he ever did was sulk and cry about how much less ambient mana and citizens were in my domain, thus building nothing but a single floor with himself on it in the hopes someone would ... re-appropriate him to another domain.

After some long and hard thought on the subject, I struck a deal with Gorby. I would take him to the largest inhabited domain I could get access to on the condition that he built a dungeon capable of killing me. At the thought of a new home he was greatly encouraged, and it definitely wasn’t the thought of killing me, his captor.

Unfortunately, he was adamant that he needed the right resources and enough mana to grow that strong so I humbly offered him access to my domain inventory, of which the greedy bastard bled dry of any raw or organic materials. He even gobbled up half the generic dungeon stones from the system.

After this he created a few levels I found woefully inadequate. Standard flame traps and a couple weak poison arrows didn’t slow me down at all. I then encouraged all of the craftsmen, scholars and even remotely skilled individuals with permanent citizenship in my domain to visit and tutor Gorby in how best to build a dungeon of acceptable strength.

Seelie spent quite some time analysing how he operates and giving him pointers, which has bred a fear in him I can’t even remotely fathom. Just mentioning her near him causes his crystal body to start forming hairline cracks. If he’s actually in her presence ... it looks like he’s about to explode apart.

Anyway, the whole thing is that...

“Thwack!”

And now there’s a poison arrow sticking out of my eyeball.

“Stop doing that standing around and thinking nonsense. I’m not going to sit here and watch you think about pointless things for an hour again.”

With that grumpy reprimand, another bright light flashed, and I was now standing in a classic first level of a dungeon.


Dungeons are creatures that could be classified as semi-Godlike in their abilities. If one of them lived long enough and gained enough knowledge, they could even rival god-like beings. Perhaps even something like Domain Wars was built inside of a dungeon.

The ability to create almost anything from Mana and to absorb knowledge like a sponge was only a few of the powers of a core. The most striking power of a Dungeon Core was building endless levels inside of endless pockets of reality. Like building billions of worlds within billions of worlds, never-ending and growing with the passage of time.

Gorby was only a young Dungeon Core when Murphy found him, and wasn’t very good at much at all. Killing things was a simple thing for him and he basically just summoned apparent traps and stupid creatures to do his bidding for him. By killing things he could collect their essence. Or more appropriately, their knowledge. Thus murder is a necessity for him to grow stronger.

However, an extraordinary thing happened after he was brought to Murphy’s domain. All types of people came and gave him knowledge for free. It was very odd and not something Gorby had ever experienced. Thanks to them, Gorby had built ten levels of hell that no normal dungeon could hope to accomplish so young in their lives.

Not only that, but now he didn’t have to worry about nice things that could lure people into his pocket dimension so he could gobble them up. His goal now was singular, Kill Murphy Law.

“It’s finally time. Hehhehheh!”

Gorby sinuously chuckled to himself as he watched Murphy appear in the first level of his new dungeon. He projected a tiny pieces of his consciousness out as a floating orb next to Murphy and projected all his spite and confidence. Murphy glanced at the standard cave design around him and then at the floating ball of light.

“What the fuck...”

Gorby glowed a gloating brightness as he saw the confusion on Murphy’s face. Normal dungeons had two things. An exit and a level that must be navigated. For the first level, Murphy could see neither of these things. Instead, all he could see was a single huge cavern nearly a hundred meters in radius and filled with floating rainbow lights that glowed dimly.

The cavern had no entrances or exits. No tunnels, no monsters, no traps. It was just a big empty cavern.

“Err ... Gorby ... this is ... I mean ... what am I supposed to do?”

“Hahahahahaha!! Foolish mortal! Tremble in fear! There is no escape! You can just wait here forever until you eventually die of either boredom or starvation, whichever comes first.”

Murphy scratched the stubble on his chin and looked around again.

‘This doesn’t seem right. I thought Seelie said that every dungeon was bound by certain natural limitations. There must always be a path from the entrance to the Dungeon Core and vice versa. Even if it’s not obvious, it must exist.’

Murphy then looked back at Gorby with an odd expression.

“Err ... you do know ... I’m like ... Immortal. Right?”

“What?”

“Yeah ... I mean ... like unless my body is cut up or burned in the sun or something ... I can’t die. I won’t starve to death.”

“Looks like you’ll just have to go mad from boredom then.”

Murphy was speechless. He couldn’t help but feel Gorby was breaking the rules somehow.

‘This must be some kind of trick...”

With that in mind, Murphy wandered around the huge cavern inspecting the floor and walls. Everything was blank. No rocks, no stalagmites, even the ground was just roughly cut stone and had not even dirt to draw pictures on or eat if you managed to get trapped he so long you got that hungry.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour of pointless inspection and endless gloating from Gorby, Murphy did the only thing he could think to do. He turned with his back to one wall of the cavern, crouched down into a runners launch position, then shot forward towards the other wall.

Using his maximum speed and pumping his legs like a madman, his 94 strength and 76 agility propelled him to the edge of the sound barrier. Then with a mighty leap, he jumped towards the furthest wall, twisting his body through the air, and shot forward with his feet crouched up under his body.

Just before colliding with the wall, he kicked his feet out as hard as he could and smashed into the wall. Much to his shock and surprise, he went straight through with hardly any resistance. Moments later he found himself flying through the air at a startling speed towards a very very distant ground.

Looking about himself, he could see a giant column reaching up into the sky and sporting a big dome on the very top. Looking around himself, he noticed a massive chasm filled with darkness and almost a speck in the distance was a floating door with a tiny 1-meter floor underneath it.

Everything else was complete and endless nothingness. All that was here was the door, and nearly 200 kilometres away, the column with a dome on top. Oh, and the rapidly approaching ground that looked like it was filled entirely with razor-sharp spikes made from metal. It almost looked like a forest of metal spikes covered in more metal spikes. It was eerily similar to the tower of thorns ... except made from metal instead of bones.

“Well ... that doesn’t look good...”

‘I can guess what he was doing with all those ‘Unbreakable Steel’ geodes I stole from Eden.’

This was Murphy’s thoughts as he finally reached the ground. Like a speck of dust, he disappeared into the sea of jagged spikes to the accompanied mad laughter of Gorby.


While Murphy was busy testing his limits in Gorby’s dungeon of torture, 10 mysterious travellers passed through the portal from Six Star onto Murphy’s domain. Typically, the moment they stepped through they would have drawn attention from others. First off they all wore bizarre clothes and weapons.

They were adorned in combat vests and tight body suits that glowed with strange green light, dispersing an odd green mist from their bodies making them appear somewhat ethereal. Instead of standard helmets, they all wore faceless dome-like headgear that was tinted wholly black and reflected all light.

The next most attention drawing thing was the strange weapons and devices they were carrying on their person. Chief amongst these was a highly advanced rifle that seemed to also be glowing with various enchantments. Just glancing at these things would give anyone that had developed a decent danger sense the willies, if not directly making them vent their bowels.

The most attention grabbing aspect would be the fact that they didn’t happen to be grabbing any of said attention whatsoever. The only thing was the odd fluctuation of the portal as they passed into this domain, there was no evidence to the senses of other people and creatures that they even existed. Apart from an eerie feeling for those few who’s danger sense was genuinely phenomenal, of which there was very few on Murphy’s domain.

“Spread out and map everything. Keep your eyes and ears sharp for anything regarding the target. Bravo, you’re on the general populace and the towns. Echo, follow up on the reports of an underground labyrinth under the domain. Be careful, unless you want to end up another example of Captain Gustav’s previous infiltrators.”

The moment he finished speaking, two groups of three spread off into two separate directions. As for the remaining four individuals, the leader apparent glanced towards the spooky looking misty forest in the distance. With what seemed like a somewhat resigned sigh, he took off towards them with his 3 companions in toe. None the wiser as to their sudden appearance on the island domain.

As the leader and his group approached the forest, their highly attuned danger senses started screaming. Having brought many skills as scouts and spies from their time as enforcers on earth, these highly trained and incredibly determined infiltrators rapidly attuned themselves to the system in the game and made endless breakthroughs to strengthen themselves beyond anything they could have dreamed of.

Although not the most prominent of the teams amongst the many forces being rallied by Captain Gustav, this team had shown the most promise for infiltration and escape. They were all high agility stat players and had numerous titles and skills that lent themselves to that goal. Just as they had been expected and trained to do.

In the same manner as many organisations over the course of history since time immemorial, the employees were expected to conform to set standards. As such many ‘testers’ had been sent first to determine optimum stats and develop standard classes for what the Captain called, Forces Unified in Service of Earth, or easily swallowed, FUSE.

As such, this particular group were entirely derived of fellows that had selected to use a class predetermined by testers as, Infiltrators. Illusion Magic, Assassin Skills, Scout Skills, Bush Craft, Squad Tactics, Acting, Weapons and Martial arts training and a plethora of other varied skills all tied into one class. Many had specialised into side paths based on their own training or personality. For example one particularly disturbed individual in this group had unlocked something along the lines of Torture Mastery.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.