A Mercenary's Tale - Cover

A Mercenary's Tale

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

Chapter 7

The following day was Sunday. Father Patrick invited the Bishop to celebrate mass, and give the sermon. The church was packed as the townsfolk flocked to see the Bishop and his travelling companions. Isabella sent Brianna down early to collect Miriam.

“Miriam, what are you planing on wearing to church this morning?”

“Well, I was planning on wearing my best dress, but I have to get breakfast first.”

“Leave that for the priest’s servants. We want to look our best this morning. Let’s give the townsfolk something to talk about! I want to see our men’s faces when we emerge.”

The other two women smiled, her last comment was not lost on them. Miriam went and fetched her dress. It was old, and very faded. It had been her mother, s and possibly her mother’s before that. She saw the look on Isabella’s face when she showed it, and immediately felt old and dowdy.

“It’s very nice, but would you be offended if I offered you one of mine? I think I have something that would just bring out the colour of your eyes.”

With that she brought out the most wondrous dress that Miriam had ever seen. Miriam’s eyes widened with surprise.

“It beautiful! It must be worth a fortune! No, I couldn’t possibility wear that.”

“Nonsense. You have done so much for me, more than you can ever know. This is the least I can do.”

She tried the dress on. She looked stunning. Next was Brianna’s turn. A dress was produced, and both women gasped. It was wonderful. She was speechless. Once she put it on she looked fabulous.

Next it was Isabella’s turn. She had already chosen her dress, and the girls gasped when they saw it.

“It’s beautiful,” said Miriam.

“It’s fantastic!” enthused Brianna.

They took their time getting ready. They all wanted to look their best.

As they were about to go downstairs, Isabella turned to them.

“Ready, girls? Let’s make those boys step on their tongues, shall we?”

They all giggled as they made their way downstairs. Their entrance had the desired effect. All talking stopped as they entered the room. Michael even dropped his cup, and water splashed all over his trousers. Paul was the first to recover.

“Miriam? Is that really you. Wow, you look fabulous.”

“Wow, Mum, you look great!” said Peter, echoing his father.

Michael stood there, mesmerised, as Brianna walked up to him.

“Well, what do you think?” she asked, putting her arms around his neck.

He blinked twice then falling on one knee, said the first thing that came into his head.

“Marry me. Marry me now, today. I love you, Brianna. I always knew you were beautiful, but never just how much. Please marry me, now!”

There were gasps from those in the room. They all held there breath waiting for her reply.

“Yes, yes of course I will,” she cried, tears streaming down her face.

Several of the others were in floods of tears as well. Even Alan and Donald had lumps in their throats. They all turned expectantly to the bishop.

“Well, this is a little irregular, however the situation is not unknown for a bride and groom to be presented at the church door and a marriage demanded, even if the circumstances are normally a little different. We really should have read the banns, but I’m sure Father Patrick here can smooth over these little administrative technicalities. I think today will be a wonderful day for a wedding!”

Donald had yet to speak. He stood there with his eyes and mouth wide open with surprise. Isabella walked over to him. She reached up and placed her hands on his shoulders.

“Well, what do you think?”

“God you are beautiful!” he gasped

With that he put his hands on her waist and pulled her into him, kissing her soundly on the lips. She felt his passion and responded with her own. She moved her hands around his neck, pulling him as hard as she could into herself. Their bodies melding as if one.

They were brought back to reality with a bump when they heard Simon say “Maybe you’d better do two weddings, today, Bishop.”

The Bishop, Isabella and Donald looked at each other with horror, each knowing the troubles and difficulties this would bring. Knowing in fact that this could never happen. It was the Bishop who spoke first.

“Well, we couldn’t possibly do that, now, could we? I mean, it would detract from Brianna’s and Michael’s day. We wouldn’t want that, now would we?”

Isabella spoke next, saying, “No, no we wouldn’t. That just wouldn’t be right. Come on. We have a wedding to plan! Now then, who has the rings?”

“Rings? I hadn’t thought of rings! Does anyone know where we could get a ring?” A look of horror flashed across his face as he added, “I just know I love Brianna and want to spend the rest of my life with her.”

It was Father Patrick who came to the rescue. He disappeared into his room and a few minutes later he came back with a simple set of wedding rings.

Brianna’s eyes widened as she exclaimed, “They’re beautiful!”

“Thank you, thank you so much. I will never be able to repay you for this,” Michael said with glistening eyes.

Father Patrick looked a little uncomfortable. Donald looked at him and shook his head. The priest nodded in understanding.

“Very well, who will give the bride away? Who will be the best man?” enquired the Bishop

Paul stepped forward “I would be honoured to give this beautiful woman away.”

Michael turned to Donald and said, “Sir Donald, I would be honoured if you would stand beside me this day.”

“Of course I will. It will be both an honour and a pleasure.”

“Bridesmaids, you need bridesmaids,” Isabella exclaimed excitedly.

“We already have two of the most beautiful bridesmaids right here,” the Bishop told them, looking at her and Miriam.

Isabella and Miriam both squealed with delight.

“Well, come along then. We have the whole town waiting for us,” the Bishop told them, leading them out of the door.

“Wait. We look good, but you men, well. We can’t have you looking like you have just come in out of the fields, now can we?” Isabella told them.

The men were already dressed in their finest. Isabella found a few things for them and soon they met with her satisfaction. Donald held back slightly as they left, slipping a gold coin into Father Patrick’s hand.

“Thank you for making my friends day so special. I won’t forget this.”

“You are welcome, sir, only too glad to be of assistance,” the priest replied, slipping the coin into his purse beneath his cassock.

Isabella watched this with interest. Michael and Brianna were nothing to him, yet here he was, paying for their ring, and doing it in such a way that no-one was any the wiser. She looked up at her man, yes, her man. He was hers, he just didn’t know it yet. This she had decided. No custom, attitude, family, or anything ... would separate her from this man, this wonderful warrior! He had shown her a new way of living, and was the man she would spend the rest of her life with. If Michael and Brianna could find happiness together, then so could they. She took his arm and gave him another of her dazzling smiles. It made her glow inside when she saw the effect it had on him. They then made their way to the church.

Donald looked at this fantastic woman on his arm. He could not believe the change that had come over her in such a short time. She had changed from a thoroughly spoilt brat into this vibrant enchanting woman who was very quickly capturing his heart. They made quite a sight as they proceeded down to the church.

Every head turned as they entered. They walked down the isle, to the seats that had been reserved at the front. They took their seats. The service was started by the priest.

“My friends, we are honoured today by the presence of some special guests. The service today will be celebrated by the reverend Bishop Rathbone. We will also be celebrating the joining in holy matrimony, two of his party: Michael and Brianna. This will take place after the service. I must say we are delighted that you would chose our humble church to celebrate your marriage.”

The people all applauded at this. The Bishop then took over. The service progressed as normal. His sermon was one of love, honour and tolerance. He told them that during his journey he had seen true generosity, compassion, love and tolerance of his fellow man. He told of the family made destitute by bandits; and how a brave and generous knight had saved them. Then he had not only reunited them with their family, but had set them up with a living, purchasing a farm for them to run. He told them of the love of two people, how the journey had brought them together, and now they were to be joined in holy wedlock. Donald looked over at Isabella. The way she was looking at him, he wasn’t sure that the Bishop was talking about Michael and Brianna. To his surprise, he found he wasn’t sure, either!

The service soon finished, and it was time for the wedding. Brianna, the girls and Paul disappeared to the back of the church. The two men stood nervously at the front. The congregation turned to watch as they then progressed down the isle. Brianna looked fabulous, in fact they all did. The Bishop conducted the ceremony. Brianna stood next to Michael, Paul next to Miriam and Donald next to Isabella. All three couples looked at each other with love in their eyes. The rings were exchanged, and when the Bishop declared ‘I now pronounce you man and wife,’ he looked at the couples in front of him. He saw the way Isabella and Donald were looking at each other, and for a moment actually wondered exactly how many he had married.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.