A Mercenary's Tale - Cover

A Mercenary's Tale

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

Chapter 6

It was a few days later, as they approached Riverdale, that Donald called the column to a halt.

“Don’t like the look of this. You see that trail? Do you see how it bends around those trees?”

Simon nodded, not really understanding why they had stopped. Donald looked at him and smiled, remembering back when he had first received this lesson. Alan came forward, eager to learn as well.

“Look at the line of the trees, do you notice anything odd or strange about it?”

They both looked at the line in front of him. It was then Simon noticed a slight dip, almost if one of the trees was missing. He could hardly see it, but now it was pointed out to him he could just make it out.

“Yes! There looks like a tree is missing, just there, look.”

“Very good, young man, well spotted. Now then, where do you suppose that tree could be?”

Simon thought for a minute. “A woodcutter could have cut it down and taken it.”

“Yes, he could, but it’s a long way from anywhere here. There must be more convenient trees for him to cut.”

“Yes, your right. Do you think it’s bandits?”

“Could be. Tell me, what can you hear around you at the moment?”

“Why nothing. What should I be able to hear?”

“What about birds and other animals? Shouldn’t you be able to hear them?”

“Yes, yes I should. There are people down there aren’t there? They’ve cut the tree down and frightened everything away!” Simon exclaimed, realisation suddenly dawning on him. They both looked up at Donald in wonder. They would never have seen the signs and would have walked straight into the ambush.

“Now then, we have two options. We can either find another route round or we can move towards the ambush forewarned and forearmed.

“Why are we stopping?” enquired the Bishop

Donald pointed out what he had seen.

“Are you sure?”

Donald smiled, “Would you like to go down there and find out?”

“No, no I don’t think I’d care to. Very well, what do you think we should do?”

“I think you should stay here, while I go down there and have a good look round. For now, get the wagon off the road.”

This they did. Next, Donald found good positions for them in case anyone came looking for them. He saw Isabella smile as he handed her a bow.

“Remember, nothing fancy. Aim for the centre of their body. They will a lot less willing to try anything if they end up looking like a pin cushion. I need you to cover this area here. You will have Simon and Paul covering your back. You will be protecting Miriam and Brianna. Michael, the Bishop and his friend Carlos will be on the other side. Stay safe, I won’t be long.”

He turned to Alan, “If anything happens, go back to Porhamton. Send word to his Lordship, and tell him of the situation. Get him to send more men.”

“I will, Sir Donald. Have no fear, I’ll not let you down.”

“I know. Good man.”

With that he vanished into trees. Isabella watched and waited, the tension rising within her. Miriam looked over to her.

“He’ll be fine don’t worry.”

“I’m not worried,” she snapped

Miriam smiled as she said, “Of course not, Milady. He’s very special you know. He may not be ‘nobility,’ but I’m willing to bet he’s got more honour, courage and compassion than any lord you’ve ever met.”

Isabella said nothing. She thought about what Miriam had said. To her horror, she found Miriam was right. She found that she really didn’t want anything to happen to him!

Donald made his way through the undergrowth. It took a while, but finally he came to where he suspected the bandits to be. He soon saw he was right. He could see men hiding in the bushes. He crept around checking exactly how many bandits there were. He was horrified to see there were at least twenty. That was not the worst of it. These were not ordinary bandits. These were men in uniform. He saw two men talking, one of which he took for the captain. He made his way forward until he could hear what was being said.

“They should be here soon. The Lady Isabella is not to be touched. You and your men can enjoy her maid, though. She’s very pretty according to all reports. The Bishop is to be spared but his little ‘friend’ is to die. If there is anyone else in the party, they die, too. The Baron wants that bitch all to himself. He wants to hear her scream and plead as he enjoys himself with her. He intends to send her home a broken bitch, willing to anything to escape the lash. No man will want her after he’s finished with her.”

Donald had heard enough. He made his way back through the woods to where the others were waiting.

“We have to find another way round.”

“Why?” asked Isabella.

“There are at least twenty men down there. They are after you. They are the Baron’s men. Apparently he wishes to ‘hear you scream and plead as he enjoys himself with you.’ He intends to send you home a ‘broken bitch’. He also knows about Bishop Rathbone and Carlos here. You are to be spared but you friend dies. You Brianna are to be the men’s plaything and the rest of us are to be killed. Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I really don’t like the sound of that. The thing is these are not ordinary bandits but the Baron’s personal troops. I have no doubt that one-on-one I could take any of them. But twenty, together? That’s a whole different proposition. We cannot beat all of them. They are trained men. To try and go through would be suicide. We need to go back to the last town and find another way round.”

They all looked at him, horrified.

“Why would he do such a thing?” asked Paul

“He is a monster, that’s why! He asked for my hand ten years ago. I refused him then. This is the real reason for the warring between us. He cannot stand being refused. He frightened off all other suitors. I was to be married to Earl Tathlone. He is at least seventy, but he is powerful. My father was hoping that he would send troops and finish the Baron, once and for all. I just cannot do it! He is old and ugly. The thought of giving myself to him makes me feel sick to the stomach. I cannot, and will not, do it.”

With that she broke down. Donald moved forward and gathered the weeping woman in his arms. She clung to him, sobs racking her body. She looked up at him with terror in her eyes.

“Please don’t let him take me. I know how he treats women. Please, promise me you wont let him take me alive?”

Donald looked at the terrified woman

“No, he wont take you. Now listen, all of you. We need to reorganise everything we have. We will return to the last town we passed. We will get some pack horses and abandon or sell the wagon. We can then take some of the less well known tracks. I’m afraid we may have to abandon the idea of getting to Riverdale. We’ve been heading south-west, we’ll head south-east and make our way to Bridgeport. I know a few people, there. We will be among friends who will help us.”

“Young man, I was tasked to take the Lady Isabella to Riverdale. They would not dare to harm a man of the cloth!”

“No, I don’t think they would, but they know of your relationship with Carlos here. They will kill him on sight. Now if that will not harm you, then you are a better actor than I gave you credit for. Though why you would feign love for a man that clearly adores you, I do not know.”

They all looked at him in horror. It was Carlos who spoke up

“You have known for some time, haven’t you? I overheard you speaking to Lady Isabella. You were telling her of your companions, Charlie and Mark. What you said was beautiful. I wish I could have met them.”

“They were fine soldiers, and even finer friends. They saved my life more than once. I considered them my brothers. I could not and would not condemn them. They found love in the most horrendous circumstances. Who were we to deny them their happiness?”

They all nodded their heads in agreement. Without any further argument they turned the wagon round and headed in the opposite direction. Isabella rode close to Donald, almost afraid to let him out of her sight. This did not go unnoticed by the others. Donald told Lieutenant Alan to ride up ahead and to shout if he saw anything. He himself rode at the rear. Something was wrong, something was troubling him. How did the Baron’s men know they would be coming this way? Was this common knowledge or was there a spy in her father’s court. Thinking about it, he would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone supplying the Baron with information. The thought made him chuckle.

They made their way back towards the inn they had spent the previous night. It was still quite early so Donald told them he wanted to press on. Isabella had ridden next to him all day. He leaned over towards her.

“Milady, I’m afraid that the relative comfort of the inns are a thing of the past just now. They will soon realise that their trap had been spotted. What I need to know is did your father make common knowledge his intention to place you within the convent at Riverdale?”

“No, to the best of my knowledge the only people who knew were the Bishop, his companion and Michael. Why do you ask?”

“They knew you were coming. They only knew about you, the Bishop and Brianna. They did not know about Michael or the rest of us.”

“When we were about to leave, Michael approached the Bishop telling him that he was a guide and knew the way to Riverdale. He agreed to a ridiculously low fee. I now think he was simply there to spend time with Brianna.”

“I think you are right. I don’t think he has been outside his home town before. He certainly has never travelled very far. Still, I cannot judge him harshly, men have done much more foolish things for love.”

He smiled at her, and to his surprise she returned it. He looked at her amazed at her beauty. When she smiled her whole face lit up.

“You should smile more. It suits you.”

She blushed and lowered her eyes. It was then that he knew the Baron would never get her, nor would any man as long as he had breath in his body.

“Ride up to the wagon, stay close to it. I need to check something. Tell Paul to find a good spot for a camp. I wont be long.”

She nodded, then reached out and took his hand. His breath stopped at her touch. “Be careful. I would hate anything to happen to you.”

He turned his horse and rode back along the trail. Only when he was certain they were not being followed did he return to the party. He soon caught up with them. They had pulled off into a clearing, well back from the road with no obvious trails leading away into the trees. He complimented Paul on his choice of camp site

“Oh, it wasn’t me. It was young Simon. We found one earlier; but he vetoed it, saying it looked too much like one of your ‘honey traps.’ He’s the one who found this place.”

Donald looked over at the beaming lad. “Well done. You have chosen well. Let’s get the camp set up. Same system as before, we use that tree there for our necessary. Again, I don’t think I have to warn you of the dangers of wandering around, do I?”

They all shook their heads.

“Can I come with you?” asked an excited Simon.

“May I as well?” asked Alan

“Yes, but you must do exactly as I say, watch carefully, and once the traps are set, only step where I step.”

They disappeared into the trees. Donald showed them how to set his traps. Although it took a little longer than usual, Donald was pleased to be passing his knowledge on to his young protégé. They returned to the camp to the smell of a wonderful meal. He was somewhat surprised when Lady Isabella came over to him, carrying two bowls of food. He saw Miriam and Paul smile at this, giving a quick glance to the others. No-one else seemed to have noticed anything strange, so Donald just shook his head. He thanked Isabella for her kindness, and again was rewarded by one of her wonderful smiles. They sat down to eat.

“Thank you again, Miriam. Yet again, you have excelled yourself. I can see why Paul married you. He truly is a lucky man,” Donald complimented her.

“It wasn’t just me. Lady Isabella helped as well.”

Donald looked at her in amazement. “A rare beauty, a true shot with the bow, and now a wonderful cook? Who ever does marry you, will be a fortunate man indeed.”

She shot him another of her dazzling smiles, and positively glowed with pleasure at his compliment.

“I didn’t do much. I only helped chop some vegetables.”

Donald was astounded, not only Donald, Bishop Rathbone looked over with surprise as well. He had known Isabella for many years, and considered her to be one of the most spoilt and self-centred women it had ever been his misfortune to encounter; saving only her mother, who, in his opinion was incapable of even getting out of her own way! To even think of helping, let alone actually doing something ... well, it must be a miracle!

They soon finished their meal and were settling down for the night. Donald instructed them on a watch pattern. Lieutenant Alan and David were to take the first watch, Michael and Paul were to take the middle watch and he and Harry would take the last watch. He did not have to remind them of the consequences of falling asleep. They all noticed that Isabella had moved her bed roll next to Donald’s. During the night, Donald woke. He heard Isabella quietly weeping in her sleep. He reached over and put his arm around her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.