A Mercenary's Tale
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

They travelled all morning, with Donald always on point. His bow stayed in one hand, with an arrow ready to be knocked. Simon rode behind him, leading his string of horses. Although the sun shone brightly, there was a gentle cooling breeze keeping the temperature very comfortable. They stopped for lunch in a shady glade by a river. A fire was started and tea was brewed. Bread and cheese was the fare. Simon was glad to get off his horse. For the last week he had been suffering from saddle sores. Donald could see he had a tell-tale gait. He went over to his pack and retrieved some cream.

“Take this and rub it into where you are hurting. It will ease the pain. In future make sure you tell me if you are having problems. You are no use to me if you are sick, now are you?”

The boy shook his head. He took the cream and headed towards the trees. The Bishop came over to him.

“I was wondering if you had any more of that cream. Myself and my companion seem to be suffering in the same manner.”

“I have, but what would you be willing to trade for it?”

The Bishop looked at him and nodded. “How much?” he asked, reaching for his purse.

“I don’t want your money. I have enough of my own. Letters and numbers. I’m sure you and your companion can read and write? I want you to teach me and the boy. I can read and write some, myself, but I’m not very good. I’m certain the boy can do neither. No one has ever taken an interest in the lad. Now would be a good time for him to learn. Oh, and I’m sure Paul, Miriam and Peter would like the opportunity as well. Better ask the soldiers, too.”

The Bishop beamed, “Of course! We’d be only too happy to teach you.”

So it was that all of them started to learn their letters. It made Isabella and the Bishop smile to see the adults, especially the big fearsome warrior, struggling with the intricacies of spelling and grammar. His face screwed up in concentration as he tried to get to grips with the difference of things like threw and through. They had to admit, though, that he was tenacious. While it was obvious he would never be a scribe, after two weeks he found that given enough time he could just about make out what was written, as long as it wasn’t too complicated. The others were making progress as well, with Peter outshining all of them. He seemed to grasp it instantly. Both the Bishop and Isabella were impressed with his progress.

“You really should think of allowing him to come to the academy in Riverdale. I’m sure he would do well there,” the Bishop told Paul one evening after the evening meal.

“I would love to! Nothing would make me prouder, but where would we get the money for such things? How would the likes of us, poor peasant farmers ever be able to afford such a thing?”

“You are right, it will be a problem. I will speak to the abbot, there may be something we can do. I cannot promise anything, but we will see.”

Later Donald spoke to the Bishop

“Tell me, how much would the fees be to send the lad to the academy?”

“It would not be cheap, at least four gold crowns a year.”

“Very well, we will talk to the Abbot. If he is willing to make a deal with me ... well let’s see shall we?

“You would be willing to pay his fees?”

“I don’t know about all of them, but I could probably pay half. If you and the abbot could find a way to fund the other half then we could give the lad a chance to improve not only his life, but that of his family as well.”

“That is very generous of you! Very generous indeed! I will certainly speak to the Abbot when we arrive. Tell me, why would you do this? You hardly know the boy”

Donald shrugged. “I have the money, what else am I going to do with it? I’m a mercenary. We are always surprised when we awake, each morning. Dead men can’t spend it. Spend it while you live.”

The Bishop looked at this man with a new respect in his eyes. Never would he have expected this, not in a million years.

The other thing that Donald had been insistent about, was that everyone learn how to defend themselves to the best of their ability. They had all tried their best. Even Isabella who, in spite of herself, found she excelled with the bow. She used a light bow, of course. There was no way she could even hope to draw Donald’s war bow. She found she enjoyed the sense of power it gave her. No longer was she just a helpless female, who needed protecting and doing for. She was a member of the team with responsibilities. For the first time ever in her life, she had been trusted with something. She found, as well, that she was re-evaluating her opinion of Donald. He was as he said he was. He was a truly honourable man. Not once had he tried to opportune any of the women folk. She was thinking back to some of the men she had known in the past, knowing that they had taken advantage of those who they considered beneath them. She knew also that he had warned her men that if they harassed any of the women, he would be displeased. None of them had harassed anyone.

She also found herself doing the same for her fellow travellers. Paul and Miriam were good, kind people. They had given and shared the little they had without thought. That they loved each other was without doubt. Their son Peter was a very clever lad. He was also polite, kind and thoughtful. Simon was a revelation. He idolised Donald, that was never in doubt. He also trained harder than anyone else. He was always the first up, never shirking any job no matter how odious. He was very solicitous to her, as well, always asking if she needed anything. Michael and Brianna were lovers, that much was obvious to anyone with eyes. They were never apart. Michael trained as hard as the rest, especially when Donald had pointed out the fact that he might have to defend his love against bandits. He really was becoming a demon with his stave. Even her own soldiers had taken to this new regime. They were certainly improving. The Bishop and Carlos, now they were a conundrum. She had her suspicions, but he was a man of the cloth. That sort of thing was against the teaching of the church. She had heard of such things, but really! The Bishop? Surely not. They were very close, though. Much closer than servant and master usually were. It was nothing she could put her finger on, just the odd look, the slight lingering touch. She mentioned this to Donald.

“Oh, without a doubt.”

“Doesn’t it bother you?”

“No, why should it? They are grown men, what they do in private is their business. We had men like that. I remember one couple particularly. Charlie and Mark. They loved each other dearly, you only had to look at them to see it. They were nicest, kindest pair you could wish to meet, unless of course it was on the battlefield. They were inseparable. They died together as well. We had been cut off and were trying to break out. Charlie had been wounded and Mark would not leave him. After the battle we found them. They had died in each others arms, one protecting the other. We buried them the same way. The priest said it was an abomination. We told him if they did not bury them as we had told him then we would bury him instead. He did as we bid.”

Neither of them saw Carlos listening to them from behind a tree, nor did they see the smile, nor his tears as Donald told his story.

Four days later, they came across a family sitting by the side of the road, surrounded by a few meagre possessions. They had three small children with them that looked cold and hungry. Donald went over to them. As he did so he saw the fear in their eyes.

“Hello, what are you doing here?”

“Our farm was attacked by bandits two days ago. They burnt everything. We hid in the vegetable storehouse. Fortunately, they did not find us, but everything we had is gone. We have nothing. They killed all our animals and burnt our crops. My father lives in Porhamton, a village two days away. We are hoping he will be able to take us in. If not, well, our future looks bleak,” the man told him.

“What of your Lord, won’t he help?”

“He doesn’t even know we exist. All he cares about is his rent. The farm is finished. They burnt everything. The house, the barn, the cowshed. It’s all gone, everything. What are we to do?”

“Have you eaten? Any of you?”

“No, Sir, what little we had, we gave to the children. What the bandits didn’t destroy they stole. What they couldn’t steal they destroyed. Why did they do this, Sir? We are simple peasants trying to make a living. We are not rich, and our farm was not worth much. Why did they have to destroy it?”

“I do not know. I do know though that you and your family are the backbone of our society, our bedrock. Without you, there would be no lords, barons or kings. Let us help you. I’m sure you could all do with a good meal. It must be nearly dinner time. We’ll make camp here, and get a good feed on the fire.”

Miranda and Brianna came over to help the traumatised family. They gathered up the wife and children. Donald went over to the man.

“My name is Donald.”

“I am Trevor”

“You did well protecting your family from those bastards. You’ve lost things, yes, but they can be replaced. Houses and barns can be rebuilt. Your family, your wife and children, they are what is important. If you had tried to fight those men, you would have been killed, then your wife would have been raped and your children enslaved or killed. I know what it’s like to win, but I also know what it’s like to lose, and to have all you have worked for taken from you. I’ve had to start again many times. It’s not easy, but it can be done.”

“Yes, I know what you say is true, but it still sticks in my craw that I hid like a child while those animals rampaged through my home and stole and destroyed all I have worked for.”

“I know, but what weapons training have you had? What weapons did you have on hand? Did you have a good suit of armour? A coat of mail? A good sword and shield? I’ll bet those bandits had some of those things. They would have cut you down without a thought. No, you did the right thing.”

While the camp was made and a meal prepared, Donald went to his pack horses, the ones he’d taken from the bandits. There he found a couple of warm cloaks, some bolts of good cloth, and a pair of very small boots. He approached the family.

“I don’t know if these will help. I took them from some bandits I caught, the other day. You are welcome to them, if you can use them.”

The woman came over to him with tears in her eyes.

“Thank you, thank you. I don’t know how we can ever repay you. When we saw you approaching, we were worried that you were some of those raiders. For you to show us so much kindness ... well, as I say, I don’t know how to repay you.”

Donald looked at the woman and then over towards Trevor. “First you can tell me your name.”

“It’s Annabelle.”

“Well, Annabelle, you can make sure you thank your husband for keeping you safe and not doing something stupid like going out to face those bandits. If he had been killed, then where would you have been?”

She reached up and kissed Donald on the cheek.

“Thank you, I’ll make sure I do.”

The food was served and they all dug in. Everyone went to their things and found something for the family. Brianna found a blouse, Michael a shirt, the Bishop a coat, [although it was far too large, Annabelle said she could take it in.] Paul and Miriam found a couple of old pairs of trousers that should fit two of the children, Carlos found a blanket, Alan, Henry and David managed to find a spare pair of boots, a cloak that belonged to Sirius (the sleeping guard who was killed) and his jacket.

Isabella looked on as everyone rallied round, and found something for the family, some of it was old and worn, some of it was in good condition. She thought of her own family, of those she knew. Not one of them would have lifted a finger to help these people. They would have ridden straight past with barely a sideways glance. It did not escape her notice that those with the least, Paul and Miriam, were - after Donald - the first to offer help. They gave of the little they had. Everyone else had then chipped in.

They were all looking at Isabella. She smiled, went to her baggage and found a fantastic dress. She brought it over to the woman.

“Here, I have this old thing. I know it’s not very good. I brought it in case of being forced to do some dirty work, like digging or such.”

Annabelle’s eye’s widened with surprise. It was the most beautiful gown she had ever seen.

“It’s beautiful. No, I really can’t accept it. It’s too much, really.”

“Go on, please. It really is an old one. I have several more much nicer ones. Would you like to see if there are any others you prefer?”

“No, it’s okay, this one will do fine.”

“Look, why don’t you get washed up, then we can get you into this dress for dinner, give the menfolk a surprise.”

“Why don’t you get changed in the wagon?” called Miriam

Annabelle nodded and together she and Lady Isabella went to get changed. Soon dinner was ready. Isabella brought Annabelle out.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present ... Annabelle,” announced Isabella with a flourish

Heads turned and jaws dropped as Annabelle emerged from behind the wagon. She looked fabulous!

“Wow!” exclaimed Paul

“Oh, my!” echoed Brianna

“My darling, you are so beautiful!” said a stupefied Trevor, taking his wife in his arms. “I always knew you were gorgeous, but ... wow!!”

Annabelle reached up and kissed her husband with real passion. “Thank you, thank you for keeping us safe.”

She then turned towards Isabella. With tears in her eyes she threw her arms around the startled woman. “Thank you, all of you. What you have done for us, well words cannot describe it. We will never be able to repay you for you kindness.”

It was the Bishop who spoke. “Was it not our Lord who said, ‘That which you do for the least of these, you do for me?’ As I see it, my dear, we are simply doing as our Lord commanded.”

“I could no more ride by and ignore you, than fly through the air. It is just not in my nature. All I wish is that if you ever see someone who needs your help, that you give it to them just as freely,” Donald said to them.

“Well, Sir Donald, we surely will.”

The children ran up to their mother and threw their arms around her.

“You look lovely, Mummy!” they chorused.

The food was brought, and it was devoured with relish. All the bowls and plates were soon licked clean.

It was by now starting to get dark. They would stay where they were, for the night. Donald went out to set his traps, as usual ... accompanied, as usual, by Simon. He told them where they could go and attend to their needs.

“You better do as Sir Donald says,” Isabella told them. “I ignored him, and very nearly paid a high price.”

“We shall, we shall.”

Later that evening Donald spoke to Isabella, “Why do you call me Sir Donald?”

“You go around rescuing folk at every turn. You saved Simon and took him on as your squire, you helped Paul and Miriam when they needed it. You saved us from certain disgrace and death, or slavery. Now you have saved Trevor, Annabelle and their children. You could have just ridden by and ignored all those around you, I know many who would have done just that. If anyone deserves the accolade of ‘Sir,’ then it is you.”

She kissed him on the cheek and went to her bedroll. It was a very surprised and confused Donald that lay in his bedroll that night.

Two days later, they arrived at Porhampton. It was a small but prosperous looking village. The houses were well kept, the fields planted, the fences maintained and there was livestock in abundance. The headman came out to see them, obviously more than a little bemused at the sight of their strange party. He looked up and down the party, wondering who was in charge. Finally he approached the Bishop.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.