The Long Road Back From Hill 55 - Cover

The Long Road Back From Hill 55

Copyright© 2017 by RWMoranUSMCRet

Chapter 5

I woke up from a dead sleep with the sound of sirens wailing a mournful tune in my still damaged ears. Even though I was “safe” on the Air Base, I was fully dressed and booted up. Some guy in his skivvies was running down the barracks yelling,

“Get into the bunkers!”

I didn’t know where the bunkers were located, but I figured it was a good idea to get out of the flimsy barracks ASAP. Outside, I could see flames rising from a couple of hits inside the compound. I didn’t hear any incoming, so I relaxed a little. Most everyone else was running around trying to get information. The fact that most of these guys were not armed seemed a little foolish to me, but orders are orders. I didn’t see any bunker, so I got down low behind some stacked sand bags. Flares were getting shot up all over the place now and it was almost like daylight. I decided then and there it might be better to find a place to spend the night other than the “safe” Air Base. My first job was to liberate a functional M16 and get myself a pocket gun for back-up in situations like these.

The “Trash Cans” were coming from way out past China Beach. They must be zeroed in pretty good to get them inside the Air Base from such a long distance. I suspect the use of inside spotters was their way of gaining a small degree of accuracy. In fact, they were basically randomly targeted in the general direction of the Air Base. Any success was simply a matter of luck. Just like the German rocket barrage of London was primarily area aiming and not geared to any one target.

I headed out to the “Ville” early the next morning and traded some smokes for a small .38 Cal pistol of Spanish design. It was a cheapie, but I test fired it in an alley. The locals were not amused. Ammo would not be a problem, because .38 Cal was in stock in plentiful quantities in both the US and the South Vietnamese armories. The M16 would be a more difficult problem, but I could see they were bartered out in a lot of “Black Market” operations right on the Air Base. It was easier to get a M16 than it was to get an AK47. I would wait until I found out where I was going first.

I waited in my skivvies in the “Transient” barracks until an elderly “Mama-san” brought back my only set of jungle “Utes” (utility uniform). She was giggling non-stop as I got dressed. I couldn’t understand her very well because her use of pure Vietnamese language was limited. It sounded like she was using a central Vietnam dialect from a coastal area. She seemed satisfied with the “script” (funny money) I paid her with. I also gave her a pack of cigarettes for the quick service. I didn’t smoke, but I always made a point of putting my ration stamps to good use. This was the first time I had been to a base with such luxury items since back in January of 68.

I headed up to the G-2 shop.

This was officer country. There were so many field grade officers rushing here and there that I figured there was probably none left outside of Quang Nam province. That was not really fair because I am certain they were all doing a vital job in the big picture.

I had a Major with a totally bald skull give me the evil eye and ask me if I knew I was “out of uniform”. I politely inquired in which respect and he said I was wearing “unauthorized headgear”. My floppy rain-hat had been with me since day one, so I was mystified with his perception.

I did notice that all the Marines in the G-2 area were fitted up with heavily starched utility caps adorned with a colorful pin which I assumed identified them as being a member of this headquarters. I explained I was just a visitor and would be gone from his sight in a matter of minutes. That seemed to mollify him and he went back to his papers.

I showed my little strip of paper to a young PFC (Private First Class) with that look of confidence exhibited by admin clerks all over the world. He suppressed a yawn and directed me to a corner office occupied by a dangerously thin Captain and a Lance Corporal with the worst case of acne I have ever seen in my life.

The captain never looked up from his book other than to verify I was a lowly enlisted turd. The Lance Corporal pulled out a file from a combination locked chest and wrote down directions for me. Apparently the unit I was assigned to was located at a South Vietnamese compound south of the Air Base. He told me to ask for Sergeant Tran or Captain Lee. The American officer in charge was a General “Bucky” Maddigan. (Not the real name, but not far off) Under no circumstance was I to bother the General unless he asked for me personally. I was OK with that because I figured the further I was from any field grade officer, the better.

Sergeant Tran was a really small guy, even for a Vietnamese. He reminded me of an old buddy of my mine. A little Filipino guy called, “Geronimo”. He was always saying things like, “maybe yes, maybe no” leaving me unsure about what kind of answer I got. Tran spoke pretty good English and his Vietnamese was 100% pure and school taught. He obviously had a lot of education somewhere in an earlier time. I thought I detected a hint of Northern dialect and that was confirmed when a “rumor control freak” in the Liaison office told me to be careful because he was “Chui Hoi” (A North Vietnamese defector) reprogrammed to our side just a few months prior.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.