Life on Another Planet - Cover

Life on Another Planet

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Chapter 34: A Future Set in Place

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:15 am Pacific Institute of Technology

The bone-crushing hug of congratulations from Kirsten was aggressive but welcome. Eve’s hug was much more sedate. Grant was there to shake hands in congratulations as well. He’d left the bookstore in the charge of his most reliable part-timer.

The graduation ceremonies were mercifully short thanks to the speakers being few and their remarks brief. Jesse held his diploma with pride, knowing he had accomplished the first step in his goal. It hadn’t been easy, but he had graduated in the top twenty percent of his class. Considering the difficult start to his post-secondary education, he was very pleased that he had caught up and passed many of the other students with his results. He had continued to work at Norwood Books and his schedule had added six months to his schooling. He’d already informed Warren Tilden of his marks and received his congratulations as well. Warren would be joining them for lunch at the Stanley Park restaurant.

“Now that you have your certificate from Pacific Technical Institute, where next?” Grant asked.

“I’ve been accepted into the Electrical Engineering School at UBC. Ever since they’ve limited the number of foreign students in the science programs, more spaces have opened up for us locals,” Jesse grinned.

“I’m sure your grades at PTI were a big factor in their decision,” Eve said.

“You studied very hard, Jesse,” Kirsten said with an affectionate smile. “I too am very proud of you.”

“Folks, our reservation at the restaurant is for noon, so I suggest we get on our way,” Grant said.

That got the group moving toward the parking lot. Kirsten was riding with Jesse and Eve. The drive to the restaurant was almost a half hour, so their timing was nearly perfect. They were led to their table without delay and seated with an open chair for Warren between Jesse and Eve. He arrived not long afterwards.

“Hello, everyone,” he said with a smile, kissing Eve on the cheek and shaking Jesse’s hand.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to the ceremony, but I got caught up on a long distance call with Gregor. Your father had a lot to talk about,” Warren grinned.

“It’s all your fault, Warren,” Eve said taking his hand in hers. “You got him started on this new project and now he won’t leave it alone until it’s done.”

“Guilty as charged,” Warren grinned.

The exchange between the two produced knowing smiles in Jesse and Kirsten. With the exit of Kent in Eve’s life, her relationship with Warren came completely unexpectedly. Gregor had taken an interest in Jesse’s education and when he was introduced to Warren as a neighbour and senior member of Laser Technologies, the two men immediately began to discuss their mutual interests. That brought Eve into the picture and she and Warren seemed to hit it off almost immediately. A year-and-a-half later, they were very close, and Jesse wondered if Warren wasn’t the man Eve had been searching for.

Kent had slipped out of the picture when he took a job with a mining company in northern BC and the Yukon. He was ferrying geologists to and from various exploration sites and was seldom back in Vancouver except in the winter months. That was the move that finally ended their relationship. Eve was not interested in a part-time partner. Warren was a surprise to both Eve and Jesse. That old cliché about sparks flying seemed to apply when the two first met. Warren had come up to the apartment to help Jesse on a project for his class work. That led to Eve’s introduction to the man Jesse had been talking about for the past several weeks.

Eve and Warren appeared to have some interests in common, and when Gregor and Sabina arrived for their summer vacation, Warren was introduced. Within minutes the two men were conversing in a common language: Computers. Gregor could imagine some applications that Laser could create, and delayed their trip to Whistler to take a tour and meet with the principals of Laser. From that came a proposal to see what possibilities for a joint venture might develop.

In the meantime, Warren appeared to be visiting the Mikeska apartment on a more frequent basis until he worked up the courage to ask Eve out. She kidded him about how long it took him to get to that stage, but agreed. That was the start, and Jesse could see that this relationship was different than the one she had with Kent.

Mica, of course, was a little put out that his future helicopter rides had disappeared, but Warren managed to win him over with a computer program which featured a 3D component that Mica could keep and learn to use on his computer. As bright as kids were when it came to computer programs, it didn’t take long for Mica and his friend Tony to figure out just how to use the program to invent things for themselves. As Eve pointed out, it was a lot less expensive than Lego and just as creative. Of course, a new more powerful desktop computer with a larger flat screen was required. So much for being less expensive.

Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:30am

Eve had scheduled one of their infrequent therapy sessions that morning.

“Jesse, it’s been four years since you arrived in this century,” Eve began. “Have you reconciled yourself to what appears to be your future?”

“If you mean have I accepted that this crazy back and forth is a part of my life now ... maybe forever? I don’t know if I can give you an honest answer to that. The ordinary guy doesn’t have to hide his life from his friends. He doesn’t wake up every morning wondering which life he will live that day. He doesn’t have to remember the things he normally should automatically remember and pretend he knew them all along. Is that what you’re asking?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.