Life on Another Planet
Chapter 20: Back in the Game

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Wednesday May 30, 2012 7:15pm

“Hey, Jesse. What happened to that hot blonde babe I saw you with a while ago?” Chunky asked.

“Ah ... we broke up. Her idea, not mine,” he said, hoping that would end the questioning.

“Man, that’s a shame. She was some hot number,” he said, shaking his head.

“Yeah,” Jesse agreed solemnly. “She was that.”

Their conversation was overheard in the sparsely filled stands by a young woman who had become a regular spectator at the home games. Jesse hadn’t noticed her, but she had noticed him, and the information that he was not together with anyone was encouraging. She hadn’t exactly been stalking Jesse, but she was certainly aware of him and definitely interested. This latest information appeared to be an opportunity.

Candice Tanner watched the game intently, focussing on Jesse. He was clearly one of the more skilled players, and what began as mild interest became something more. Everything about him said he was a nice guy and a talented ballplayer. She thought he was the same young man who attended her night school mathematics class. When the other players called him Jesse, she knew it was the same guy.

She summoned all her courage and walked down to the dugout area at the end of the game and said hello to him as he was putting his gear away in his sport bag.

“Hi,” she said shyly. “You’re in my night school class. My name’s Candice Tanner.”

Jesse was caught by surprise. She did look vaguely familiar, but didn’t immediately place her. As he took her in, he was surprised he hadn’t noticed her before. Her body alone would have attracted his attention ... not to mention every other male in the class.

“Oh ... Hi ... I’m Jesse Peterson,” he said with a slight smile.

She was a very attractive young woman, about five-foot-six with dark blonde hair and brown eyes. She was wearing a tank top and shorts, leaving little to the imagination of what her body was like. The word pneumatic came to mind as a description of her curves. She had a very prominent chest, and her opposite side was just as eye-catching.

“I’ve been watching the games ... and you ... for a couple of weeks. I like baseball and you’re a really good player. I play softball on the weekends.”

“This is my favourite game,” Jesse said with a smile. For the first time in a while he was interested in someone other than Kirsten. Candice was a cute name and she had a nice smile to go with her amazingly well-developed body.

“I couldn’t help overhearing you broke up with your girlfriend. I know it’s none of my business, but I was wondering ... if maybe ... you ... and me ... well ... you know ... maybe ... have a date ... or something?

Jesse smiled at her awkwardness and almost immediately decided that a date with a pretty young lady wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

“Yeah, it’s true, I’m on the loose again,” he admitted with a grin. “What did you have in mind? I mean, we don’t know anything about each other, so I guess you’ll have to tell me what you like ... and don’t like,” he suggested, struggling manfully to avoid staring at her chest.

“Why don’t we have a soda or something after class tomorrow?” she suggested, now obviously more confident. “We can talk and find out about each other.”

Jesse smiled. “That’s a good idea. I’ll see you tomorrow at class and we can get together afterwards.”

“Great,” she beamed.

Candice was delighted that she had taken that first step toward getting to know a handsome young guy who seemed to be a very nice person as well. She’d had enough of some of the self-admiring, arrogant types that she had come in contact with. There wasn’t much doubt about what they wanted and had a sense of entitlement that put her off. Nice guys who were good looking and hardworking were hard to find. As she walked toward the parking lot, she put a little extra sway into her hips, not daring to look back to see if Jesse was watching her.

Jesse was indeed watching. How did he miss noticing her in class? Young ladies with bodies like that could never avoid all the nearby male eyes on them. And ... she looked just as sexy going and she did coming. He would definitely welcome a date with Candice. Who knew where it might lead?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:55pm

“Hi, Jesse,” Candice greeted him brightly.

“Hi, you’re early.”

“Yes, I know you don’t like to be late,” she smiled.

“How do you know that?” he chuckled.

“You’re the first one in class almost every evening, and the first one at the ballpark every time I’ve been there. You must have a thing about time,” she grinned.

“Guilty. I got that from my father. He was always ten minutes early for everything, ‘just in case’ he would say.”

“It’s not a bad habit,” she said. “I don’t like being late either.”

“How are you making out with this course?” he asked.

“Oh ... okay I guess,” she said. “I have to get a pass to get into my business economics class next semester.”

“Ah ... I need it to complete my first year math prerequisite. I’m not exactly on the honour roll, but I think I’ll get a pass.”

“Well, that’s what’s important,” she nodded as the instructor walked into the room. “I’ll catch up with you after class.”

Jesse nodded and smiled. For the first time in over a month he felt a little more positive. Candice was a hot looking young woman and seemed to have a ready smile for him. What he wondered was why she wasn’t surrounded by other guys trying to get to know her better. He would have to train himself to keep his eyes from wandering over her impressive body. But the more he saw, the more difficult that was going to be.


Candice waited for Jesse to pack up his books and join her at the back of the classroom.

“Where should we go?” she asked as he met her.

“I thought that café a couple of blocks down the street would be best. That okay with you?”

“Oh sure. I know the one you mean. It’s called Jester’s isn’t it?”

“I think so. Anyway, it’s quiet and we can talk and not share everything we talk about with strangers,” Jesse smiled.

They strolled down the street until they reached the little café. Jesse held the door and received a warm smile from Candice. He could feel the stirrings in him as she added a little extra sway to her stride as she entered. She was a “head-turner” in every way, and her entry had caught the attention of several males, as well as some of the females. She found a table over in the corner of the front window and led him to it.

A young waitress approached and smiled at Candice. “Hi, Candice. Who’s the handsome dude you’ve brought with you?” she said, turning to Jesse with an appraising eye.

“Hi, Toni. This is Jesse. We’re classmates at night school.”

Jesse nodded and smiled as he held the chair for Candice.

“Oh ... and nice manners, too,” Toni grinned, winking at her girlfriend.

“Nice to meet you, Toni,” Jesse said before seating himself.

“The usual, Candice?” the waitress asked.

“Yes, please,” she said. “I stop here after class most nights. I have a soft drink or a hot chocolate in the cold weather. Coffee in the evenings keeps me awake,” she explained to Jesse.

“Uhhm, I’ll have an orange soda, please,” Jesse smiled at the waitress, then turned his attention to Candice.

“So, I gather you know her,” he said.

“Yes, she’s in my day classes. Night school is me trying to get ahead ... maybe save myself a semester ... or maybe even a year.”

“Are you from here? Vancouver, I mean.”

“No ... I’m from Cranbrook. I’m here to get a good business education to prepare me to eventually take over my parents’ operation. They own a garage and service station. It’s very successful and I want to keep it that way. I have some ideas that will make sure it succeeds in the future.” It was a matter-of-fact statement from Candice that left Jesse little doubt about her intentions.

“So ... are you mechanically inclined?” he asked.

“Yup. My dad has taught me all he knows, and together we’re learning about all the new gismos that the industry comes up with every year. I’m the computer specialist, while Dad does the nuts and bolts. Mom is the accountant.”

“Let me guess, you don’t have a brother,” Jesse grinned.

“Wrong,” she smirked. “My brother Dave is in med school with his best pal Pete. The two of them plan to set up a general practice when they finish. They’re planning a clinic and I’m sure it will be welcome in town. If he hadn’t decided to become a doctor, he’d be the one taking the business courses.”

“So Dave is older than you?”

“Yup, twenty-four. He’ll be doing his residency here in Vancouver, but Pete will probably be doing his in Cranbrook. We’ve got a really nice district hospital, so he’ll get known in the community pretty quickly.”

“How come they aren’t doing their residency together?” Jesse asked.

“Dave is planning to specialize in paediatric care, and Pete is aiming at geriatrics. Different strokes for different folks,” she grinned.

“So ... Dave and Pete are really tight, then.”

“Like brothers. They’ve been close since they were little kids – played hockey and baseball together. Mom and Dad are really proud of Dave and Pete.

“Pete’s parents must be pretty proud too.”

She was shaking her head. “They were killed in an avalanche a few years ago. Mom and Dad took Pete in to live with us when he was sixteen. His grandparents were too old to help and they lived in Radium Hot Springs. The first time I saw Pete, I was a chubby little girl with pigtails. I decided right then and there I was going to marry him.”

“Oh boy, is he in for a surprise,” Jesse laughed.

“Maybe. I haven’t seen him since I started college. He might have changed,” she said with a faraway look.

“And Candice still has a crush on him, doesn’t she?” he guessed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.