Life on Another Planet - Cover

Life on Another Planet

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Chapter 11: A Second Job

Monday, September 26, 2011 7pm

It didn’t surprise Jesse to find a large attached file on an e-mail from Sue Chen. He opened it and looked over the details. The file was 137 pages and a little over 60,000 words. Quite a substantial paper, he realized. Regrettably, it was formatted in some fancy script that he didn’t recognize, making it difficult to read. He thought this would be a hindrance to anyone trying to grade it. He looked up Sue’s phone number and called her on his cell phone.

“Hello?” she answered cautiously.

“Hi, Sue, it’s Jesse. I just opened your file and I wanted to talk to you about a couple of things if I may.”

“Oh ... Hi Jesse. Sure ... go ahead.”

“Uhhm ... I’m not sure how to put this, but I don’t think the typeface you’ve chosen is a good idea. It’s a little more difficult to read and I find it can interrupt my concentration. That might not be a good thing if the marker is having the same problem. It would be pretty simple to change it to something easier to read.”

“Oh ... I hadn’t thought about that. You think it’s too fancy?”

“Yes ... it is a little too stylish. I always found them more difficult to read. It’s just a suggestion, Sue. If you like the one you’ve chosen, then I’ll work with it,” he said quickly.

“No, Jesse. I’m sure you’re right. I was just trying to decorate what might be a boring subject and make it look interesting.”

“Trust me, Sue, Orwell and Huxley are definitely not boring. I haven’t got very far reading your material, but you’ve certainly got plenty of content potential, so I’m sure we can make this into something you’ll be happy with. By the way, did your teacher say anything about how long the paper should be?”

“Not really. He said we should make sure we cover any topic comprehensively and left it at that.”

“Okay, well, I’d say you’ve more than got enough volume. Now the big challenge will be to make sure you’ve got the content they’ll be looking for. I’ll get started on it and send you back a few pages tonight with a possible typeface that I think would be more suitable. Are you sure you’re okay with that?”

“Oh yes. Grant said I could trust you to point me in the right direction. I’m sure I’ll be happy with your suggestions.”

“Don’t be so sure,” he chuckled. “Keep in mind I’ve never had to write a paper this big in my life. This is going to be a new experience for me too.”

“Well ... I guess we’re in this together then, aren’t we?” she said brightly.

“I guess we are. Let me know what you think about the first return and we can go from there,” he said.

“I’ll be waiting for it. Thanks, Jesse. I really appreciate your help. I’m sure it will turn out better than I could do on my own.”

“You’re welcome, Sue. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

He leaned back in his chair and wondered if he’d bitten off more than he could chew. He’d just have to use the combined experience of Sue and some good judgement on how the essay should look. The main thing was to remember that it was to be Sue’s work, not his. He wasn’t about to write her submission for her.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7pm

The e-mail from Sue was waiting for Jesse when he went to the computer after dinner.

Jesse, it looks great! Thank you so much. Let me know if there are things you want me to change.

Sue

Short and to the point, he thought. He hadn’t finished reading the entire draft yet, but in the back of his mind he was thinking it was too long. Some of the points she made were repetitive. They were just filling space. Now the question was how to tell her that? The topic chosen was good ... and close to Jesse’s heart as well. He was a big fan of Orwell, among other English authors. He blocked out some paragraphs, and in one case, an entire section when he thought it was unnecessary. Then, another idea struck him.

“Eve, did you ever write a paper when you were at university?”

“Yes ... a couple of them. Why?”

He explained what he was doing with Sue Chen, but admitted he was operating out of ignorance and needed some practical guidance.

“A paper doesn’t have a fixed length, Jesse. It’s really a matter of properly covering the subject material thoroughly. The two I wrote were medical subjects which were quite technical and required detailed explanation and support. Sue’s topic isn’t that complex. It’s really a matter of stating her points clearly with references and examples. It isn’t her primary field of interest, so you wouldn’t expect her to exhibit expertise. I think the instincts you have to pare it down somewhat are probably correct, but it really has to be her decision. Point out what you think, but let her make the changes.”

“Okay, thanks,” he said uncertainly. “I hope I’m not leading her astray. I mean, this really is a case of the blind leading the blind.”

“Oh, I think you’re on the right track. It sounds like Sue is quite bright and just needs some help with putting her thoughts into a readable format. That’s something a good writer can do much more easily than most. That’s where you can help her,” she said with a genuine smile.

The feedback he got from Sue was more than positive.

Thank you, Jesse. You are sooooo right. I was putting in things just to make it bigger. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that my instructor will agree with us. J

Nonetheless, Jesse was nervous about editing someone else’s work when so much was at stake. He could only advise and then hope he wasn’t misleading Sue. The copy he returned to her was in a much more readable font and a larger 12pt typeface. Any areas that could be edited out were highlighted in yellow, while errors or omissions were done in red. He marvelled at the capabilities of the word processor program for helping him point out various issues. More than once, he resisted arguing a point on one of her conclusions when it didn’t correspond to his view. He did include some side notes that offered an alternative view.

It would probably be weeks before the results of his efforts would be known, and Jesse was nervous that he might have damaged Sue’s chances for that grade point she was seeking. Sue, on the other hand, was nothing but grateful.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1pm

She met him at the store on Friday afternoon, two plus weeks after they had started the review.

“Jesse, it’s so much better with your help. You’ve fixed all my mistakes and made it so much better. I couldn’t have done this without your help. Thank you, thank you,” she said, wrapping her arms around him and reaching up, giving him a big, wet kiss.

He wasn’t prepared for that, but it was nice and welcomed. Sue was an attractive young woman, a little over five feet tall he guessed, with a nice, trim figure and a lovely face. Her jet black hair was combed back in a short ponytail and she dressed quite conservatively compared to some of her contemporaries.

“When do you suppose you will hear about your mark?”

“I think I should know in a couple of weeks,” she said. “Jesse, whatever my mark is, I thank you for your effort. I know it is better than it would be without your help. I wish you’d reconsider and accept some payment for your work.”

Jesse shook his head, still smiling. “No, it wasn’t really work, Sue. I enjoyed helping you and I won’t take money from a starving student for something I enjoyed doing.”

Sue laughed and laughed. “Starving student?” she finally managed to get out between laughing spasms. “Whatever gave you that idea?”

Jesse shrugged, somewhat nonplussed by her laughter. “I just assumed ... you know ... with tuition and moving away from home this year ... having a part time job ... well ... that money would be tight.”

She was shaking her head with a big smile plastered on her face. “No ... tell you what. Since you won’t take any money for your work, why don’t I invite you to my place for dinner? You name the day. It’s the least I can do for you.”

“Well, if you’re sure, that would be nice. Uhhm, any Sunday would be okay, since you and I are working every other day.”

“Okay, Sunday it is. I’ll let you know which one, okay?”

“Sure, Sue. That sounds nice. Thanks.”

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:30pm

When Sue decided she was going to thank him by inviting him to dinner at her place, he assumed there would be just the two of them in her apartment, or wherever she lived. She had given him the address, but he hadn’t really paid much attention to it until he began to drive toward the location that Sunday afternoon. The closer he got, the more uneasy he became. Perhaps she had made a mistake, or he had misunderstood. No ... she had written out the address herself.

As he neared the address, he knew he was in foreign territory. This was the heart of Shaughnessy, the home of the wealthy. As he reached the number on the piece of paper, he could only gawk at the home. It wasn’t gated, but it was huge, and the gardens and lawns were manicured, not just cut and trimmed. The style was faux Tudor, common to houses built in this district in the twenties and thirties. If it was the right home, then perhaps Sue was one of the servants these people might employ.

“Well,” he thought, “I guess I’d better find out what I’m in for.”

He rang the door chime and within a few seconds heard the sound of footsteps approaching. The door swung open and Sue stood there with a welcoming smile.

“Hi ... welcome to our home,” she said.

He couldn’t fail to see the mischief in her eyes as she ushered him into the foyer.

“Wow, Sue, this is quite a house,” he said, gazing around at the adjacent room.

“Thank you. My dad is quite proud of it. Mom says it’s a lot of work to keep clean,” she chuckled.

He followed her into what he assumed was the living room, then the dining room, and finally a very large kitchen. He wasn’t ready for the crowd that greeted him.

“Jesse, I’d like you to meet my mother, Oriana, my father Howard, my younger sister Elizabeth, her younger sister Yvonne, and my brother Hugh. Folks, this is my friend from Norwood Books, Jesse Peterson.”

There was a jumble of “Hi” and “Hello” and “Welcome” forthcoming as Jesse smiled and acknowledged the warm greeting.

“Nice to meet you,” he said, wondering what to do next. The kitchen was huge – it had to be with all these people in it. And from what he could see, most of them had some task to perform. All of them except Howard and Hugh it seemed.

Her father approached Jesse with his hand out and a smile. “I want to personally thank you for the help you gave Sue on her paper. She was very worried that her mark wouldn’t be good enough, but you made sure that didn’t happen. My wife and I are just as grateful as she is for the guidance you provided.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.