Sunny Too
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

“Dad?”

“Punkin?”

“You still interested in flying lessons?”

“The question isn’t whether or not I am interested in learning to fly. The question, properly phrased, is, are you interested in flight lessons?”

“So ... the deal is, I have to commit before you will.”

“Succinctly put, oh darling daughter.”

“Yes.”

I flipped open my phone and punched 5 for the Registrar.

“Dean Porter, please.”

“His good buddy Dave.”

“Hi Chuck.”

His reaction was precisely what I figured. “Don’t be like that, Charles. I bring tidings of a monetary nature.”

“Abby wants to learn to fly.”

“Yes ... me too.”

“The airport at five?”

“Buckets of money?” I grinned at Abby, “Of course.”

We found the Flight School office and Charles, Dean Porter introduced us to the Price List.

Recreational Pilot (Solo)= 7,000.00AUD(plus fuel)

Stand alone ground school, 35 hours=598.75AUD

Individual (Private) Lessons=225.00 per hour(plus fuel)

Refresher lessons=225.00 per hour(plus fuel)

Checkout new aircraft flight=225.00(plus fuel)

Instructor Only if Owned Aircraft (Solo)=1,100.00AUD

Upon Solo there is an exam both oral and written.

Charles said, “Recreational pilot means from ground school to solo flying our aircraft for 40 to 60 hours and buying fuel per flight. You start with a full tank and leave the aircraft with a full tank. The price includes insurance.”

“Okay ... what about the last one?”

“If you have your own airplane and wish to use it instead of ours, you pay for ground school, fuel, instruction and the cost of a one hundred hour inspection ... unless a certified mechanic has performed one recently. If you both,” here he nodded at Abby, she smiled. “Were to use your own craft there would likely be a hundred hour inspection somewhere in your lessons.”

“Can I buy an aircraft?” I asked.

“I suppose, but why would you?”

“I’m certainly buying a plane after I learn to fly ... if I’m going to take the time and expense to learn I’ll put it to use. Why not do it now?”

“What kind of aircraft did you have in mind?”

“Myndee. Show him what you found on Google.” Wherever Abby is to be found Myndee is always there. I will admit that Myndee’s presence has been responsible for a few of Abby’s temper tantrums.

“Forty former Chilean NAF, North American SNJ trainers in a bulk purchase complete with numerous spares. 2, o00,000.00 delivered anywhere. Or one for 35,000. Aircraft have been Atacama desert stored and put into flying condition. Minus armament. Up to date Logbooks and English checklists,” he read. Wiped his brow. He continued, “New aircraft were purchased as surplus to requirements of the USN pursuant to purchase of British Aircraft Carrier HMS Hercules. Funding proving unobtainable, carrier sold to India instead. Aircraft dry stored since 1946.

“If I read this correctly, these planes are new old stock. Forty?”

Abby said, “Actually? I bought them. I got the purchase completed just before Hollywood bid.”

“Good Lord!”

“Chile had thirty five F8F Bearcats that they wanted me to buy.” She said, “I declined.”

“Delivery?”

“There are tens of thousands of empty shipping containers scattered all over Chilean ports. The Admiral begged me to allow the planes to be disassembled enough to fit in a 45 tallboy ... they would supply the containers, do the work as an exercise, ship the containers as a fleet exercise and knocked off six hundred thousand dollars for the privilege.”

He snatched the phone from Myndee’s hand and reread the sales pitch.

“You got the planes for a million four?”

“Yup. Delivered.” She did a little dance ... proving once again that she may be a smart cookie ... but she was still my little girl.

“When will the first one be ready to fly?”

“Probably two months.”

“So ... you don’t want lessons yet?”

“I bought a Cessna 140 taildragger for basic,” I said. I looked at my watch. “It should be landing just about now.”

I looked out the door... “Yup ... here she comes. Let’s get started, shall we?”

The orientation flight in the station 172 was free. That was to make sure that the prospect didn’t have inner ear problems ... or a multitude of other maladies that would deny them the air.

We were fine. Abby went up first ... they made two circuits and a touch and go. She was bubbling when she stepped off the step.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” she exclaimed.

“How did she do, Charles?”

“She’s a natural, Dave. No problems. I only had to tell her once.”

“My turn?”

“Yup.” “Where are you going?”

“To get my parachute.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.