Journey to Eden - Cover

Journey to Eden

Copyright© 2017 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 17

Preparations

“But how did he come into the village without being seen or heard?” Jord stood anxiously over his son as Jona and Leana attended to Rand’s wounds. “We have watchers, and they should have alerted us!”

“A few, thankfully very few, of the enemy’s tools are given special abilities. Some are able to hide themselves,” Brgghhh rumbled, his mind-voice sounding much the same as his audible one. “At times, and only for short times, even from some of us. Fortunately for us they soon become useless for even the enemy’s purposes, as their minds are driven from them by the very power that bends them to that foulness.”

Rand struggled to a sitting position, even as Leana fastened the bandage binding the side of his neck. His voice was still hoarse as he spoke. “The drog just appeared there beside me in the hut. He babbled something about revenge, and asked about Dann. He called him the young hunter with the pretty bow and arrows. He said he wished to return something to him. I think he dropped it beside my sleeping pad.”

At this, Aard ducked into the hut, returning a few seconds later with a broken arrow shaft, the point deeply stained with dried blood. “Yes, it is one of Dann’s hunting arrows, barbed so that it would not be easily withdrawn from a wound.”

“I cannot imagine the pain that creature must have endured,” marveled Seth, “just to satisfy its rage.”

He was interrupted by a rush of wind as the great eagle returned. “As Brgghhh has said, whatever had passed for a mind had been driven from that creature even before the arrow struck it. I looked into it even as it dropped to its death, and there was no coherent thought remaining, just a dark rage at anything living. What it had been sent to accomplish remains a mystery.” Aigle peered at Brgghhh, “But the enemy is learning. This one had lasted longer than its brethren.”

“All the more reason we must make haste,” rejoined the big cat. “Ylva and the girl Tia return even now, and I have made them aware of what has taken place here.” He padded to where Rand sat slumped against his father, and peered at the wounds on his neck and shoulder, then looked at the stone weapon that the drog had used. “You were indeed fortunate, hunter,” he rumbled, using the term of respect due a brave man. “There are no stains on this knife. The creature intended for you to die in agony from painful wounds, rather than quickly, from a poisoned blade. Your injuries should heal with no further problem.”

Dann moved to Rand’s side and grasped his hand. “I feared for you, my brother.”

The injured youth smiled wanly and mumbled, “But at least neither of us pissed ourselves this time!” Both broke into relieved laughter, until Rand held his side and groaned. “I think I am ready to lie down and rest for a time, but I will at least walk into the hut. Would you help me up, brother?”

Jord and Seth watched as the two friends made their way into the hut. “That is twice now, that Dann has saved my son’s life,” said the tall black man. “I fear that Rand will never be able to repay that debt.” He put his hand on Seth’s shoulder, “And I know that neither Jona nor I will be able to do so either. I know that he will wish he could journey with your son.”

“I am sure that there is no debt incurred, my friend.” Seth stood again, “but from what I am given to understand, there is no time left to them to wait for healing.”

Both men turned at the now-familiar rumble of the big cat, “No time at all, my friends. Tia and Ylva return even now, and these four must depart together within very few days indeed. They may be gone from you for a very long time. They must move quickly, so their packs must be light. Come, let us help them to prepare.”

24 The Parting

Jord and Seth stood with the two young hunters, to give them one final counsel. “We have assembled journey packs for each of you, and Jona and Leana have done the same for your new wives.” The younger men glanced across the fire at Tia and Meta, who shyly averted their gaze, and barely suppressed their giggles as they had compared notes on their previous night’s activities. Now joined, they had not had time for leisurely honeymoons, indeed, they had strained the patience of the three elders by slipping out of the camp in different directions on the night of their joining. Even the wolf and the big cat were hard pressed to keep up with them, but unknown to the two couples, they had stood guard at a discreet distance, using their minds to shield them. Now they stood ready to depart with the young humans, on a quest that would ultimately determine their fate, as well as the fate of the revived human race.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.