Journey to Eden
Chapter 13: Friends

Copyright© 2017 by Friar Tuck

They all looked to Dann to lead, now that Rand was hurt. Dann surveyed the party, and thankfully noted that there were few injuries, besides Rand’s broken leg, and his own lacerations. One of the older boys had a bruised shoulder, from being knocked aside by the bear in her blind rage, and there were minor bumps and scrapes, gotten as they had scrambled to get out of the way. Fortunately, the furious animal had been intent on the two larger hunters, and had ignored the rest in her attack.

Tia brought water, and washed the bear’s blood from Dann’s face and chest, then applied a paste of healing herbs from Meta’s bag, alleviating much of the pain from the ugly scratches. Although shallow, they were still painful, and the paste would also help prevent serious infection. As she worked, she giggled, “Impressive decorations, hunter! These will certainly impress the girls.” But something in her voice didn’t quite match the lightness of her words. He looked quizzically at her, but she had looked away. She finished applying the paste, and said, “There. I don’t think it needs bandaging now. Let it dry a bit, so the paste will stay on.” Then she turned to help Meta take care of her brother.

They finished binding the splint, and got him settled on the drag, and soon they were ready to travel. Dann hesitated, looked to the older ones in the group, and saw that they were waiting expectantly for him to lead them. He made his way to the front of the file, rechecking each drag, each pack, readjusting the burden shouldered by one of the more apprehensive first-timers. “Carry it like this,” he explained, “or you will have very painful blisters right here, on your shoulder, and here, on your hip.” Then he tickled the youngster in the ribs, easing his nervousness, and causing him to giggle. “Maybe even here!”

He looked back at the group he now led, then turned, stood quietly for a few heartbeats before straightening his shoulders and starting for home. He missed the awe-filled expressions on the faces of those behind him; one face in particular, was filled with adoration.

Back a ways in the column, Rand was in constant pain from his injuries, but insisted that he did not want the potion that would have made him sleep through it. Instead, he chewed on the bitter inner bark of the medicine tree, and that alleviated the pain a little. Still he fainted several times as the way got rougher, and caused unavoidable jolting of the drag. After encountering a few of these places, Dann halted the group, and they made a stronger, more comfortable litter of the poles, and carried Rand over the rougher places.

Meta and Tia busied themselves along the way, in treating the scrapes and scratches they all had suffered in the trek, all the while carrying packs heavy enough to test the strength of grown hunters. No one was exempt from carrying a load, and despite his own injury, Dann carried a pack in addition to pulling a drag.

As they traveled, Tia reached out toward the village and made contact with Leana and Jona, making them aware of their plight. An emergency party set out immediately, with Seth and Leana leading seven men and women, and more youngsters to help with the load. They met a full day’s journey from the village, and the young hunters were relieved and elated to see them.

They redistributed the load, and Seth and Leana rechecked the dressings and splints. Rand showed signs of a mild fever, but the pain was otherwise beginning to subside. He clutched Seth’s arm and told him again how Dann had saved his life. “He put himself between me and the bear.” Then he looked away, embarrassed, “I pissed myself like a frightened child, but he was not afraid. He stood there and killed the bear that would have killed me.”

“He was frightened as well, Rand,” replied Seth. “But Dann would have given up his life if necessary, to try to save an injured friend, or anyone else, for that matter.” He smiled, “Now rest. Another day’s journey and we will be home. The trail will be rough for the last part, so Jona has sent others to help carry the litters, yours included.”

He saw the look on Rand’s face, and put his hand on his shoulder. “No, do not feel shame, hunter. There is none in this. Foolishness, perhaps, but not shame. You were hurt, nearly killed, doing something not many would have dared.” He looked closely at the younger man and leaned in closer so that no one else could hear. “It was foolhardy, perhaps, but there are many men twice your age and experience who would not have attempted it, for fear.” He spoke even lower, “And I know many of them would have pissed themselves as well.” He smiled as if at a private jest, “Dann told me that he did, when he killed his first bear.”

Rand looked up in surprise, “It must have been when he was very young.”

Seth smiled again, and said, “No, not so young, not young at all.” He stood, and pointed to one side, “Her pelt lies on that drag. Rest now.”

He turned as Dann and Ard approached. “We are ready to go, Seth,” said Dann. “Some have already started, and we should be back at the village by mid-day tomorrow. Others have gone back to where we saw the drift of wood, to harvest what they can. Aard and I have been excused from our loads because of these scratches, but I feel silly with nothing to do.” He looked at Rand, “So we will bear our friend’s litter, and we will talk. I still have questions about some of the trees and animals we have seen in this region, and I would learn more about them.” Seth simply nodded, and made his way forward in the line, where he shouldered his pack to begin the final lap of their journey.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.