Bec4: The Wrong Wardrobe
Chapter 28: Bec and Mahler, Part 1

Copyright© 2017 by BarBar

Editor’s Note:
The next pages are notes taken by Dr Koehler during the meeting between Bec Freeman and Detective Mahler on Monday, December 6th.

Notes of meeting, Detective Mahler and Bec Freeman, Monday, 12/6, 3:40pm

Present: Detective Mahler, Rebecca Freeman, Peter Freeman, Lorna Small (legal representative for the Freeman family), Dr Koehler Snr (psychiatrist)

Comment: Mahler waited until we were all seated, then he pressed record on the camera.

Mahler: This is an interview regarding the incident that occurred at ((address deleted)) on the evening of Monday, November 29th. Interview taking place at ((address of hospital)) on Monday December 6th. Interview conducted by Detective Mahler. Interview begins at 15:40.

Mahler: Would those present please state their full names and position for the record.

Comment: Each person stated name leaving Bec until last.

Bec: Rebecca Louise Freeman, subject of the interview.

Small: Detective, before you begin I would like to make a statement for the record.

Mahler: Go ahead.

Small: Rebecca Freeman is freely participating in this interview despite not being required to do so. She is aware that some of her actions may have entered a gray area in terms of legality and she wants it understood that everything she did was done in the interests of defending herself, her family and her home.

Mahler: Understood.

Small: Rebecca has asked that she be permitted to begin by telling the story her way. If you wish to ask clarifying questions then please do so but she asks that you save any other questions until the end.

Mahler: We can try it that way.

Small: Very good. Off you go Rebecca. It’s over to you.

Bec: Yes, okay. I was at home last Monday evening together with my sisters Tara and Angela. We had eaten tea, I mean dinner, and had cleaned up and were relaxing before putting Angela to bed.

Comment: Bec was staring down at the microphone set up in the middle of the table while she spoke. She talked in a clear but mostly lifeless voice.

Comment: I noticed that Bec’s English accent was slightly stronger than normal. Perhaps she was reverting back to her roots due to the stress of the situation. I imagine that the voice I was hearing was more like that of the younger version of Bec that was painted on the wall above Bec’s bed.

Bec: At approximately 10 minutes after 7pm I was in the kitchen and speaking to my friend Elizabeth Davidson on my cell phone when the doorbell chimed. Angela must have thought she saw Dad’s silhouette through the frosted glass in the door...

Mahler: Please try to stick to the facts rather than speculating on what other people were thinking.

Bec: Um. Yes. Sorry. Angie ran to the door and opened it. She can only just reach the door handle. It didn’t use to be a problem but she’s been growing and ... sorry. That’s not important.

Comment: Bec looked flustered. Perhaps the interruption from Mahler had thrown her off. Peter took her hand and gave it a squeeze. Bec looked at him and forced a small smile and then nodded. She took a deep breath and started again.

Bec: Once Angela opened the door, the bigger of the two men forced the door open, knocking Angie back. I had peeped around the kitchen door for an instant and saw him standing there framed in the doorway.

Mahler: What did he look like? Can you give me a description?

Comment: Bec blinked at the interruption then looked down at the pile of papers in front of her and then looked up again.

Bec: Detective, this isn’t going to work if you ask me questions out of order. I’m going to give you descriptions but I’m not up to that part yet.

Comment: Mahler sat back. He looked surprised at the forceful way Bec had spoken to him. Then he waved his hand for her to continue.

Bec: Tara had run to catch Angie and stop her opening the door but she was too late. She yelled out and the man stepped into the entrance hall and grabbed at her. Tara fell back against the little table and then fell to the ground. She went quiet but Angie was screaming. The last thing I saw was Angie and Tara on the floor with the two men standing over them. Then I ducked back away from the kitchen door. I told my friend Elizabeth what was happening and asked her to call 911. Then I hung up the phone and switched it off because I was going to hide and I didn’t want it going off and giving me away.

Comment: She looked at Mahler and shrugged. Her next comment was directed at Mahler.

Bec: I didn’t get a good view of either man during that time. That’s why I’m not giving you descriptions yet but I drew this to show you what I saw.

Comment: She picked up the top page off her pile, turned it over and put it on the table in front of Mahler. Mahler picked it up to look at it. Bec wagged her head at me so I took the top copy off my pile and placed it where I, Peter F and Lorna Small could see it.

Picture 1: The first drawing showed two men standing over the two prone figures of Bec’s sisters. The men were standing side on and partially concealed by furniture, walls and the open door. In addition, the lighting was poor and their faces were shadowed and mostly featureless. The smaller man was partially concealed behind the larger man and could be seen reaching down towards Angie. Certainly from what was shown in the drawing, it would be hard to identify either man.

Bec: I grabbed a carving knife from the knife block in the kitchen and I crept along the hallway towards my room. I figured my best bet would be to hide. The knife was to defend myself if I was found. I figured that if I could delay being found for long enough then the police would have time to respond to the 911 call. I was thinking that when the police came then everyone would be okay.

Bec: As I passed the other entrance to the living room I heard one of the men say that he was going to tie up these two girls and put them into the back of the truck while the second man was to search for the other girl, meaning me.

Mahler: What truck? There wasn’t any truck.

Bec: There was so a truck. I was there. You weren’t. Do you want me to tell you what happened or not?

Mahler: Yes, I want to hear what happened. Tell me about this truck.

Bec: (exasperated) I’m not up to the truck yet. I’ll tell you about the truck when I get up to the truck. I’m still in the hallway looking for somewhere to hide. I haven’t seen the truck yet so how can I tell you about it now?

Small: Detective Mahler, I remind you that you agreed to let Rebecca tell the story her way. If you have questions, please save them until the end.

Comment: Mahler let out an annoyed growl and leaned back in his chair.

Bec: Besides that, you seem to have missed the important point. They knew to look for me. They knew there was a third girl. They didn’t use my name but they knew there were three girls in the house. They must have been watching the house enough to know that. That’s an important point, don’t you think?

Comment: Bec looked at Mahler and raised her eyebrow. Mahler nodded and gestured for her to continue.

Bec: So anyway, I’d been going to hide in my wardrobe, I mean my closet, because that’s where I always hide when I’m upset or whatever. But then I thought that would be stupid because if they were looking for me then they would look harder in my room than anywhere else so I kept going up the hallway to my parents’ room and hid in one of their wardrobes.

Bec: (looking at me) You see Dr K? I told you I went into the wrong wardrobe. I didn’t understand it before but now I do.

Bec: (turning back to face forwards) I slid the wardrobe door, I mean the closet door, closed and I hid behind some hanging clothes. I had the knife up ready in case he opened the door and saw me behind the clothes. It was scary. I was trying hard to breathe silently. A moment later the lights flicked on and I could see the silhouette of the smaller man through the gaps in the louvres. He took a quick look around the room and then he left. He didn’t even look under the bed or in any of the closets or anything. He just looked around and then he left. He did leave the light on though.

Comment: Bec pulled the second picture off the top of the pile and flipped it face up before pushing it across the table to Mahler.

Bec: This is me hiding in the closet. It probably doesn’t help you much but drawing it helped me put everything in the right order. (shrug). Since I drew it, I figured you might as well see it.

Comment: Again Mahler picked up the drawing to look at it. Without any prompting from Bec, I flipped over the second copy from my pile and put it down for those of us sitting on Bec’s side of the table.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.