A Hole in the Ground - Cover

A Hole in the Ground

Copyright© 2017 by BuzzyBee

Chapter 6: Monday

Steve and Dale were up early and had finished breakfast by four thirty and had loaded the Wrangler with Steve’s bags and long weapons case.

Dale was driving giving Steve a chance to relax, Dale gave Steve the low down on his first few days at the academy.

Steve was sure it wouldn’t be worse than the first week in the army. The NCO’s goal that week was to weed out the week and they did it brutally.

They both had to show their FBI credentials as they entered Naval Air Station (NAS) Jacksonville, and received a map to the Air Mobility Command (AMC) Terminal where Steve would be met.

Dale stopped outside the terminal where Steve got out unloading his bags. He carried them through the terminal to the information counter where he was given directions to the waiting FBI Gulfstream.

Steve was directed to a side door in the terminal where he found a Gulfstream G-IV waiting for him. As Steve approached the aircraft the pilot exited the cabin. The pilot spotted Steve and asked, “Are you my left seat today?”

Steve smiled and said, “I’m here for a check ride and to get to Quantico,” he held his hand out and said, “Call me Steve.”

The pilot shook Steve’s hand and said, “Mac, nice to meat you, so how many hours do you have in the G-IV?”

Steve put his bags down opened it and removed his log book and passed it to Mac saying, “About thirty in C-20Js, most of my time was in C-20Es.”

Mac nodded he knew the C-20J and C-20E were the Army versions of the the G-IV and G-III respectively and said, “You’ll fly left seat today, I’ll read the checklists and look after the radios. We have passengers at ten to six so let’s get to it.”

Steve and Mac stowed his bags and on the way outside Steve retrieved the preflight checklist from the back of the pilot’s seat.

Mac stood back and watched as Steve performed each item in sequence on the exterior portion of the preflight checklist without a problem. They then boarded the aircraft and completed the preflight checklist.

As they sat in the cockpit Mac had a look at Steve’s logbook and said, “Schooled in G-IIIs at Ramstein, flew a lot in Europe where you got some time on G-IVs. Oh and the garden spots, Turkey, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia.”

Mac also noted time in C-130s and some in various helicopters, the Bell UH-1, Jet Ranger. Steves logbook showed an intense three month period of training in helicopters, then nothing.

Mac stopped asking questions, he thought he recognised the place names and dates just before military action or after. Mac had seen Steve service record, it was thin the highlights were attached to a combat engineers battalion, coupled with the aircraft Steve had flown Mac had come to the conclusion Steve was not an ordinary ex soldier.

Their passengers soon arrived with their baggage and were seated. Steve delivered the safety brief while Mac listened and secured the baggage.

One of the ground crew helped Steve close the fuselage door then he joined Mac in the cockpit.

Mac read the checklists and Steve performed the actions. They worked well as a team and were soon on their way to Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico.

Once they were at cruise altitude Mac quizzed Steve on various scenarios, Steve would indicate which control or flight instruments he would use and possible actions.

Steve had a great time and the flight ended much too soon for him.

By the time they landed the flight had taken just over an hour, Steve completed the engine shutdown checklist as Mac got up to open the cabin door, Steve worked the post flight checklist while Mac opened the fuselage door allowing the passengers to deplane.

Mac returned to the cockpit as Steve finished shutting down the aircraft and completed logbooks for the aircraft, Steve and himself.

Steve exited the aircraft to find his baggage waiting for him. He was checking over his bags when Mac joined him handing him his logbook and saying, “Nice flying you couldn’t tell you haven’t flown a Gulfstream in over two years, I signed you off.”

Steve thanked him and Mac handed Steve a card and said, “I flying back to Jacksonville most Friday nights at six, If you want a ride home give me a call Friday morning.”

“I’m not sure what’s happening yet but I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for the checkride,” Steve said, they shook hands and went their separate ways...

Steve was met at the entry by a young FBI agent, he introduced himself as Todd, he was attached to Steve to help him feel his way and to settle in.

It was half hour ride to the Academy. At the administration building Steve received a room assignment and was able to have his long weapons secured in the armory.

The next stop for Steve before dropping his bags in his room was supply. Where he drew sweats, gym, general clothing and a dark suit. Todd and Steve humped his gear to his room where Steve put it all away.

Then Todd took Steve back to the administration building where he was asked to wait outside a conference room.

One of the secretary’s offered Steve coffee which he accepted.

He was sipping his coffee when Dan and Jeremy breezed in. They both greeted Steve exchanging pleasantries then proceeded into the conference room.

One more man entered the conference room before the secretary guarding the door ushered Steve in.

When Steve entered the room the three men stood to meet him, Dan did the honours and introduced the new man he said, “Steve thanks for coming, I’d like to introduce you to Allan Davies head of the FBI Academy he’ll be overseeing your training.”

Steve shook hands with Allan, who said, “My office will look after all your training needs. I understand that you passed your firearms qualifications for pistol and rifle?”

Steve nodded and said, “I’m still a little rusty and could do with time on the range though.”

Allan nodded and said, “We have that scheduled, stop by my office after you finish with these two.”

Allan left the room Jeremy said, “Lets sit down and we’ll explain where we’re at to you.”

They seated themselves around a coffee table and Jeremy said, “This brief is to bring you upto date with the status of our enquiries into José Fernandes. So far we have discovered José had links to companies and banks in London, Paris, Munich, San Paulo, Hong Kong, Belize, the Caymans, Monaco, Switzerland and the US. The list just keeps growing.”

“We’re looking for any illegal activities these or associated companies are involved in to get a handle on José, so far nothing this has led us to an unorthodox solution.

Dan took over and said, “We’re going to acquire all José’s assets or you are!”

Steve was a little shocked, “What?” He said.

Dan smiled at Steve’s reaction and was pleased he hadn’t said no, “Only by acquiring José’s assets, his property, companies and bank account will we be able work out what he was up to. Were looking at a year long operation to investigate José’s businesses across the world and would like you to help.”

Dan, “Steve your lawsuit is the key to accessing José’s assets overseas, what we have discussed this with the Attorney General and we have been advised that a favorable action here in the US for all José’s assets as compensation for outstanding debts here will be successful overseas.”

“Why do you need me?” Asked Steve.

“Your unknown, no real links to our government and those that you do have can be removed quickly,” said Dan.

“So if I win a favorable judgment in my lawsuit why can’t you take over the seizing the assets?” Again asked Steve.

“We want to recover all the assets if possible, with the US government involved some countries and individuals maybe less willing to co operate with our government but would with a private individual or company,” Jeremy said.

“What risks are involved?” Steve asked.

“Steve I’m not going to bullshit you, at this stage we don’t know. As an incentive you’ll receive ten percent of any illegal funds recovered. It’s the same deal we made for the diamonds. By the way we underestimated their value by at least thirty percent, you’ll receive a full accounting of their worth and your increased share will be paid into your account.” Dan qsaid.

Steve swallowed, then asked, “How large is José’s holdings?”

“Conservatively a hundred billion dollars, that’s a guess, the upper limit we don’t know,” said Dan.

“So I’d get a billion dollars.” Steve asked.

A smiling Dan said, “No,” Steve’s face dropped, “Up to a billion dollars, less tax.”

Steve was still shell shocked, eventually he said, “How long do I have to decide?”

“Tomorrow morning would be good,” said Dan.

“Can I talk to Dale about this?” Steve asked.

“You would be part of Dale’s team, we can have him here this afternoon. Feel free to discuss it with him, he’s been briefed on this,” Dan said.

Steve nodded and Jeremy said, “Regardless of your decision we need to move your lawsuit forward, we have a lawyer outside who has some papers for you to sign.”

Steve nodded and said, “Ok, let’s get this done.”

Jeremy went out and returned with a lawyer with Jeremy doing the introductions.

The lawyer was an older man, around fifty, short five eight and a little over weight. Jeremy introduced him as Sal Rosenberg.

He shook hands with Steve and asked for a dollar, Steve passed it to him and Sal exchanged it for a receipt. Steve knew this simple act ensured anything discussed was covered under attorney client privilege.

Sal said, “Gentlemen if I could have a few moments with my client,” Dan and Jeremy left the room.

As the door closed Sal said, “Steve I want you to understand I am your lawyer and I will be looking after your interests not the FBI’s or Uncle Sam’s,” Steve nodded allowing Sal to continue, “I’ll be quick about this, I know Dan has plans for you.” He opened a briefcase and drew out some documents for Steve to sign, going through each one.

First there was the offshore companies to finalize their creation and a US company to take control of José’s US based assets including company, property, financial and personal assets. The US company was owned by a Cayman Islands company that was owned by a Nevis Trust.

Sal explained how each of the interlocking companies protected Steve, finally Sal got around to asking about the debt purchase Steve had arranged.

Steve had a copy of the debt purchase agreement which he passed to Sal. As Sal read it he nodded and said, “Good, I’ll have the purchase transferred to your US company. The lawsuit will be in that company’s name.”

“Sal what’s the company’s name?” Steve asked.

Sal smiled, “Terrestrial Expediters,” he said.

It took Steve a second to grasp, the meaning ‘Earth Movers’, he laughed and said, “Very creative, I like it,” he said.

“You can have any name you like, we can change it after the court case,” Sal said.

“Why that name?” Steve asked.

“Well when Dan approached me regarding this case he described you occupation as earthmoving and site preparation. I had one of our junior associates do a search for company names in the countries José had assets. You’ll need a company in each of those countries to own the assets for ease of management. It was his recommendation we go with Terrestrial Expediters, it will be translated for each country,” Sal said.

Steve nodded, “I don’t know how much you know but Dan has offered me ten percent of the illegal funds recovered. He suggested that it could be a billion dollars less tax. I don’t want to sound greedy but my understanding is that I’ll have to pay between twenty to fifty percent tax. What do you think?” He asked.

“Have you signed anything yet?” Sal asked.

Shaking his head Steve said, “Not yet.”

“Would you be happy with a billion dollars?” Sal asked.

Steve laughed, “I’d be happy with a free beer,” he said.

Sal laughed, “I like client with realist expectations, tell me everything about José.”

For the next half hour Steve told Sal everything about José, money drugs, diamonds, the fish farm and aircraft till finally Steve ran down.

Sal sat and thought for a few minutes and then outlined his thinking and strategy. He also explained to Steve the trade offs in what he proposed.

Steve agreed with Sal’s strategy and gave him the go ahead then asked, “Sal your fees, what is this going to cost me?” Steve asked.

“Steve there is an old saying how long is a piece of string. The answer is I don’t know, how about we get the FBI to pay. If they won’t then for now we’ll cap the fees at a million dollars,” Sal said.

“OK but if they won’t pay we will have to revisit your fees Sal,” Steve said.

Sal gave Steve a rye smile and said, “I think you will do very well out of this. Let me complete the lawsuit and then we’ll invite Dan and Jeremey back in?”

Sal had Steve sign the lawsuit. Then invited Dan and Jeremey to rejoin them.

Once they were all seated Sal commenced negotiations, “Dan, Steve tell me you have offered him ten percent of all illegal funds recovered for his participation in the recovery of those funds?” Sal left his statement hanging in the air for Dan to answer.

“That’s correct we estimate that we are hoping to recover a hundred billion dollars, Steve will receive a billion dollars or ten percent of the total,” Dan said.

Sal thought listening to Dan that the hundred billion was a low ball figure, the true figure was likely to be much greater, “My client will incur substantion costs in the recovery of these funds,” Sal said.

“What would you suggest?” Dan asked.

Sal had formulated a number of responses depending on Dan’s response, these he had discussed with Steve. Dan’s willingness to negotiate led Sal’s response, “Well I think my client would be happy with five percent of the illegal funds, ownership of all José’s legal assets, tax exemption for the illegal funds recovered, a moratorium on tax for all Steves companies and the FBI picks up Steve’s legal costs.”

Dan looked at Jeremey who looked relieved and nodded, “Write it up and send it to me,” a smiling Dan said.

Sal made some notations on a legal pad then put it back in his briefcase and then handed Steve a business card and said to them all, “I’ll prepare Steves contact for signing as soon as possible, his suit will be filed in Florida today we should hear about it by the end of the week.”

“What happens after we win our suit,” Steve asked.

“It’s rather simple, we notify all José’s banks and companies that you are now the owner,” Sal said, “Actually it’s a little more complicated as José has assets overseas.”

Dan chipped in, “Once we have a ruling, you will have to take legal action in each country to recover those asset. Before suits are filed in each country we will have the various embassies contact the various ministries and pave the way for the suit.”

“What are the chances that these suits will succeed?” Steve asked.

“While it’s not unheard of we believe the suits will be successful. There is plenty of precedent in international law for our suits. The one thing we won’t have control of is the judicial process in each country and the time it takes to get a ruling. Hence the embassies involvement,” Sal said.

When Steve didn’t ask any further questions Sal said, “If you need anything please call.”

They stood and Steve thanked Sal who was ushered out by Jeremy.

Dan said, “The Attorney General has indicated the federal court in Florida will issue a favorable decision as early as Friday morning with the paperwork finalized by the following Monday if we file by Tuesday evening.”

“Is there anything else?” Dan asked.

“I can’t think of anything,” Steve said.

Dan rose signaling the end of the discussion he passed Steve his business card, “Call me if there are any issues Steve, we need your help on this,” he said as he shook Steve’s hand and leaving Steve in the conference room.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.