A Hole in the Ground - Cover

A Hole in the Ground

Copyright© 2017 by BuzzyBee

Chapter 3: Friday

Dale beat Steve to breakfast this morning but only because Steve had been reading the ‘New Owners’ brochure and manual on the Chris Craft.

When Dale saw Steve’s reading material he raised an eyebrow and asked, “Brushing up on boat handling for the weekend?”

Steve blushed, “I thought I should know something about the boat as we’re taking it out this weekend,” he said.

“Sounds like a good idea,” observed Dale.

Steve read aloud, from the ‘New Owners Brochure’, “Chris Craft invites the new owner of our luxuriously appointed watercraft to an exciting two hour tutorial on the operation of the Chris Craft Corsair 36.”

“I thought if I could get a booking for Saturday or Sunday in the morning, we could motor up to the boatyard get a lesson then have lunch, before motoring home.”

“I’m up for it, if they don’t recognize you as the owner have them call the local FBI office Jacksonville and they’ll transfer the call to me,” Dale said.

“The bill of sale was in the New Owners brochure, there are no names on it so it should be ok,” Steve said.

“Will you finish today?” Dale asked.

“There’s only minor cleanup to finish. We separated the concrete rubble and slabs out. There’s about seven thousand cubic feet of mixed rubble we’ve piled next to the concrete slabs,” replied Steve.

“The Army will be here next week, we’ll have them clear the mixed rubble from the site,” Dale said.

“Dale, I don’t need a freebee, I have two million in the bank from the safe!” Steve said.

Dale ignored Steve, “For appearances we will plan to look like were pulling the security and the command post out tomorrow or early next week. So are you alright to move in?” Dale asked.

“I was looking forward to a few more meals on the FBI. I’ll pack after breakfast. We’re going to need the truck and trailer around midday and some place to store them,” Steve said.

“I’ll follow up on the truck and let you know,” Dale replied.

Steve finished his coffee as the rest of the agents rolled in for breakfast, “Do you want to ride in with me or catch a lift with the others. I still have to pack and should only be a few minutes,” asked Steve.

“I’ll ride in with you if it’s all the same,” asked Dale.

The rest of the FBI agent joined them and the final day of the site investigation was discussed.

Steve left to go pack and was back in the lobby within five minutes. Steve thanked the receptionist for his stay as he returned his key. Dale joined him in reception to settled the agency’s bill for their rooms.

They carried their bags out yo the Wrangler putting them in the back for the trip to the site.

Their first stop on arrival at the site was the loader. Steve started it and drove to the house basement stairwell. He carefully removed the concrete slabs covering it, put them to one side. He then started the generator to power up the temporary lighting in the basement.

Dale drove the Wrangler over and parked by the exposed stairwell, he said to Steve, “Given the amount of water the fire department poured on the house to put the fire out I’m surprised that there is no sign of water damage.”

“Hardly surprising, if you think back to the pile of rubble the stairwell was virtually at the center of it. It was also the highest solid supporting structure. So when the concrete slabs settle they formed an overlapping interlocking cover that shed the water,” Steve said.

“When I lifted the slabs to expose the still smoldering hot spots they were all in the outer pile. The area of the stairwell was never directly watered down with the soil remaining dry.”

“I also had a chance to look at the construction of the basement. I exposed a corner of the basement during cleanup. It’s a monolithic concrete structure and appears that the walls and floor were poured in one continuous pour. It’s also covered in a semi flexible bitumastic compound as a direct seal on the concrete.”

“On top of that is a four inch thick covering of polystyrene. Covering all of that is an eighteen inch layer of extremely coarse sand that draws any moisture away from the structure. Then you have the house sand pad and the concrete slab.”

“There are probably other things as well such as the use of high strength concrete. Higher strength and density of reinforcing. Additives such as plasticizers and water repellent for water proofing and long chain polymer fibers to increased compressive and tensile strength.”

“The shape of the actual structure also plays a part. I would guess that the roof is actually dome shaped and the walls are shaped substantially wider at the base than near the top, this is to improve loading and water management.”

Dale, “Shit you could have just said it was well made!”

Steve smiled, “That it was.”

Dale shook his head and led the way down the stairs into the basement. They passed several closed doors before they arrived at the armory.

Steve’s reaction on seeing the room again was shock, he knew there were several thousand weapons but in the context of a single home it was hard to know of a reason to have so many. As he thought about it he wondered why it hadn’t bothered him last night, it sure did now.

Dale said, “First thing let’s get something to carry the weapons in.”

With a sigh Steve followed Dale into the gunsmith’s workshop where he selected a large secure briefcase opening it on the desk.

They went back to the armory and Steve selected four Glock 22s and a dozen magazines for them, Dale picked up two more Glocks and followed Steve back to the gunsmith’s workshop.

Steve set out the Glocks in the case removing the offending foam blocks so the weapons were securely held. While Steve was working on the briefcase Dale retrieved a brick of .40 caliber ammunition and two cleaning kits setting them beside the case.

As Steve was working on the briefcase he said, “Dale help yourself, take whatever you want.”

“I’m fine the Bureau buys me what I need, you do know thatvthey will issue with the weapons you need as well,” Dane said.

“I know that but with what’s been happening it might pay to be prepaired, beside it could be a few weeks before they issue me with a weapon,” Steve said as he kept working.

“What do you wany in the way of long weapons,” Dale asked.

“I’ve been yhinking about it, I’m comfortable with the M40, and I like the AR15 as an assault weapon,” Steve turned and said.

“You pick the weapons and bring them back here, I’ll find a case for them,” Dale said.

Dale quickly found a matching long weapons case, picking up a bricks of 7.62 and 5.45 ammunition and cleaning kits for the weapons.

Steve returned with the two weapons and magazines, he started fitting the case to match the weapons and accessories that Dale had found for him.

“There are scopes in the far rack and bipolar mounts for them,” Dale said.

Steve looked over the scopes and selected two he knew that had superior low light performance, mounts and cleaning kits. Steve attached the scopes to the rifles, he knew they would need sighting in before they were useful.

Steve now had both cases fully loaded.

Steve had a closer look at the equipment stored in the gunsmiths workshop and added a briefcase with the latest night vision equipment. Two level II bullet resistant vests complete with extra ceramic inserts to cover the vital organs were next. He stripped down and tried the vest on to ensure he had a proper fit. The vests went into a gym bag along with a combat harness.

While Steve was shopping Dale cleaned the two Glocks he had picked up and loaded their magazines. He had seen holsters in the gunsmith’s room and chose two for Steve, a belt and shoulder holsters.

When Steve had completed assembling his kit Dale handed Steve the handed shoulder holster and then belt holsters to try on. Dale helped adjust the shoulder holster so it fit properly.

When Dale was satisfied with the belt and shoulder holster fit he handed Steve a loaded Glock for each. Steve checked the weapons were safe and then put them in their respective holsters. Steve jumped up and down to check the fit. Both stayed snug to his body. “You can’t work with them on so take them off and put them in the gym bag,” Dale said.

Dale helped Steve carry the weapons out of the basement loading them in the Wrangler. From there they were driven to the command post for temporary storage. On there, “I’ll get a large gun safe installed in the boat house for your weapons,” said Dale.

“Get two one downstairs for the equipment and long weapons then one of those concealed safe that look like a two draw pedestal for upstairs, we can keep extra Glocks and ammunition in it,” said Steve.

Dale agreed, “how about going back and picking up another briefcase, four more Glocks and bricks of .40, 7.62 and 5.45 ammunition.”

Steve looked at Dale and asked why, “I have a feeling you’re going to need them,” Dale said

Steve didn’t argue with Dale, he drove back and assembled the order and added two more vests and two sets of night vission goggles as, taking them to the command post.

Dale was on the phone when Steve returned. So Steve made a call to the boat dealer arranging a new owner’s tutorial on the operation of the Corsair. “The pre delivery work wasn’t completed on the boat would bought could you bring it in an hour before your tutorial,” the dealer asked.

Steve agreed he would be there Saturday at nine, then it was back to the site cleanup.

Within an hour Steve had finished the last of the site cleanup, it involved scooping up the remaining rubble and piling it near the entry, as he was dumping the last few scoops of rubble on the pile the glazier arrived.

Steve drove the loader over then quickly went over the windows that need repairing then left him to it.

As Steve got back on the loader, his cell rang, it was Earle. He had a buyer for the concrete and wanted to come pick it up this morning, Steve said he’d call him back in five and checked on the schedule with Dale.

When Steve entered the command post Dale said, “Jeremy has arranged for the weapons and ammunition to be picked up at midday.”

Steve nodded, “The concrete slabs we stacked by the gate, I have someone interested in them, is it ok to get rid of them?” He asked.

“The tech services guys want to use the two slabs by the stairwell as part of the seal for the basement, the rest can go,” Dale said, “Can you complete the concrete removal by midday?”

Steve called Earle back and they discussed pickup options and timing, “They have three dumpers with trailers they can be there in fifteen minutes, I figure two hours max,” Earle said.

Steve gave him the Ok to come and get the concrete, then let Dale and the marshal know.

Fifteen minutes later the first of the trucks arrived with Earle, they had a brief discussion, Earle said, “We can take all the slabs and concrete rubble, pile it on the last truck.”

Steve spent the next two hours loaded the three trucks, by the time they left the site was almost pristine except for the mixed rubble and the two panels by the basement stairwell remained.

Steve shutdown the loader by the gatehouse and checked on the glazier. He was finished installing the replacement glass and was cleaning up. Steve checked out the windows, it looked like he had done a good job. The glazier had also cleaned the other windows and the only telltale sign that some were newer was the new plastic sealing strips used.

Steve paid the glazier off and watched him leave then dropped into the command post to check with Dale.

Dale gave Steve an update, “Your cloths and workshop are on the way from Miami. The workshop is coming in a twenty foot container and should be here Monday.”

“Two gun safes have been ordered and will be here after lunch for installing.”

“You have a six am Monday flight out of NAS Jacksonville to Quantico on an FBI GIV, with an instructor pilot, you’re to be there half an hour early.” Getting a nod from Steve.

Dale picked up a plastic shopping bag of remotes, handing them to Steve he said, “Ross dropped these off last night. Your truck will be here after lunch. They’re going to store the truck and loader at the marshal’s airport compound, so load it up and they’ll take care of it.”

Dale frowned, Steve knew that look, he had seen it a few time sign the past, it was a sure sign that something had gone wrong, “The Bureau has run into a problem with the property transfer, the site originally consisted of this five acre compound. That’s what was in the County Property database, the owner had five parcels of land amalgamated into one parcel using the same plot number as the compound. It’s now twenty nine hundred acres,” dale said.

“This only came to light as transfer fees were being paid from the new offshore owner, we’ve referred the issue to the Attorney Generals department.”

“Why, surely you can just have the land un-parceled so it’s only five acres?” Steve asked.

“That’s the problem, the process to parcel the land was in the works for two years, also the Bureau lawyers say that you own the land, Dan’s not worried either way. The major issue seams to not be the land it’s the precedence, the purchase contract you signed had you buying the land, buildings and all chattels contained with in,” Dale said

“So if Dan’s not the issue what is?” Steve asked.

Dale looked at Steve, “This goes no further than us,” Steve nodded, “The safe makes it an issue, or I should say the content does! You purchased the compound before it was found,” Dale said.

Steves curiocity was aroused now, “What was in the safe?” He asked.

Dale smiled, “Two million plus in cash, and forty two pounds of diamonds worth roughly two billion dollars,” he said.

Steve laughed and jokingly said, “Tell them I’ll take a reward for ceeding ownership over the safe, what’s on the rest of the property? What about the weapons?”

“I’m waiting for a report on the land. I don’t think anyone thought about the weapons, I think they were really only concerned with their secure storage at this stage. I called Jeremy and the trucks for moving the weapons will be here within the hour, also the tech support guys are coming in with some material to complete the seal of the basement, they should be here shortly, they want you to place the two concrete slabs over the seal for them when they finish.”

Steve nodded, “No problem, I’ve had the windows fixed in the gatehouse, security can move in whenever. If there’s nothing else I’ll try out the remotes,” he said.

“There’s a note in the bag from Ross, each car had two remotes, each pair is taped together,” Dale said. Steve thanked Dale and headed back to the gatehouse and the garage behind.

As Steve walked through the gates he thought about having two remotes in each car. He stopped at the gates and took a pair out of the bag, they were multi door remotes, with six buttons each.

Steve pressed each button on the first remote, nothing then he tried the second, the first button elicited a click from the nearby gate control box. He presses the button again and there was a corresponding quieter noise.

He quickly looked at the gate, Steve thought that the noise had come from the drop bolt actuators and control box. The electric rams appeared not to work, he made a mental note to get Dale to have someone fix the gates.

He returned to checking the garage doors, when he stood in front of them he tried the second button on the same remote that operated the gate to no effect. The third button operated left door, it rose quickly. He quickly pressed the next two buttons with the remaining two doors opening in sequence.

The open doors revealed a sparkling clean workshop, there was an impressive Snap-On tools rolling tool chest, work benches and storage cupboards.

Steve walked over to the work bench and ran his fingers over the surface, he felt his fingers after as he looked at them, a little dust otherwise completely clean.

Attached to the bench was an offset vice, he inspected the jaws for wear, there was none. He wound the vice fully open and then bent over to examine the vices square thread. It was lightly rusted with just a single inch wide clean band around the thread where it had been opened to.

His next stop was the Snap-On tool chest, he checked several commonly used tools for ware and found none.

Steve spent a little more time looking around then called Dale on his cell to come over and have a look at the garage.

When Dale arrived Steve explained what he had found and said, “I don’t think the garage has ever been used as a garage.”

Dale didn’t say anything, but went over everything Steve had done as well as seeing if there was any pressure in the compressors storage tank, there was none.

Steve had stood back while Dale checked the garage out as he crossed the middle bay the sound of his footsteps changed.

Steve said, “The floor sounds different in the middle bay!”

They both looked at the floor, the entire garage floor was covered in white rubberized tiles, with the bays parking areas outlined in black tiles, and they turned their attention to these tiles in the middle bay.

Steve was the first to notice, he said, “There’s a small gap next to the black tiles.”

They checked all around the rectangle of tiles, the gap was evident all along the inside of the rectangle, but concealed by the change in contrast between the floor and the black tiles outlining the bay. They checked the other two bays for the same gap but didn’t find it.

Dale now stood in the middle of the bay and jumped up, he did the same in the next bay over, and there was definitely a different sound when he landed.

Dale asked, “Have you tried the rest of the buttons?”

Steve hadn’t, he quickly tried all remaining buttons without success, then Dale said, “Close all the doors and try again.”

Steve waited for the doors to close then tried the remaining button again, they were standing in the middle bay when pushed the last button on the remote, it caused the floor of the bay to started descending, Steve pushed same button again reversing the downward progress of the floor.

Dale said, “Let’s get on the lift and start it down again.” He pulled his weapon and chambered a round.

As the floor descended lights turned on illuminating the underground area, it looked like a parking garage. The room was approximately a hundred feet long and seventy feet wide.

It contained a dozen exotic cars, neither Dale nor Steve could identify the models but the makes were unmistakable. Porches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Mercedes lined the one wall, they walked down the line of cars.

At the far end they found two things a golf cart and trailer and a set of double doors. qqqq

Dale stopped Steve from opening the door and drew him away from the door and quietly said, “We took a big chance coming down without backup let’s not compound that mistake. The door could be alarmed, we’ll get some reinforcements down here before we open the doors and then well find out what’s behind it.”

Steve agreed and they retreated back to the command post. Dale called the areas agent in charge and explained the situation. While he was doing that Steve took off his shirt, then opened the gym bag and put on a bullet proof vest. Then he put his shirt back on and his two Glocks checking they were loaded.

As Steve slipped the two Glocks into their holsters, Dale was briefing the four other agents with him, one of the agents, pulled an equipment case from the cupboard opening it, it looked like it contained an endoscope to Steve.

Before they left Steve asked if they had any aerial imagery of the surrounding area.

Dale pulled a file containing the imagery and passed it to Steve. He spread them out and then pieced photos together to form one coherent image.

Dale asked, “What are you looking for?”

Steve said, “The golf cart we saw was ordinary and equipped with a trailer, it wasn’t used on this property, so why was it here?”

Dale guessed and said, “Tunnels you think?”

Steve nodded he had identified the garage and was looking beyond it at the next property. The neighboring property contained a number of large sheds, ponds, greenhouses, shade houses, covered areas and a large solar array. The closest building to the garage was a large hangar, it looked to be about a mile away. They could clearly see the apron, taxi and runways.

Steve was tapping the hangar with his finger thinking about a tunnel running nearly a mile. It looked as if the trees had been cleared in an almost direct path between the garage and hanger. New vegetation had been planted but it hadn’t matured fully yet, so the foliage was a slightly different color compared to mature trees.

Dale was looking at the photos and quietly said to Steve, “that’s part of the property. Jeremy called, they’re giving you a ten percent reward for turning the contents of the safe over to the FBI.”

Steve heard Dale’s comments but was concentrating on the aerial photos. Learning that he owned the property he said, “How about we get someone to drop over and let whoever is over there know that I’m the new owner, we leave two guys in the garage basement to catch anyone that comes through just in case?”

Dale said, “Steve take Jarvis and Henry down to the basement. Show them how to use the remote to access the basement and the two tunnel doors. They can have a look behind them.”

“I’ll get the TAC team out here and then six of us will drop in on the neighbors. When we’re ready we’ll signal the TAC team, they can rush the tunnel and meet us at the other end, if it’s the hangar.”

Steve took Jarvis and Henry to the garage, passing Henry a remote. He instructed the two on its operation and how to access the basement.

Once at the double doors Jarvis fed the scope under the door, then switched it to infrared. He then took an infrared light source on a flexible stalk and passed it under the door to illuminate the area behind the door revealing the tunnel.

Using both hands he bent the stalks into an over extended L shape so that he could inspect the rear of the doors and the ceiling, Henry and Steve both watched the video.

Jarvis summarized, “It’s a tunnel, we can’t identify the length, no sensors on the doors or cameras within sight, there are fluorescent lights every twenty feet and we can’t see any side doors leading into the tunnel,” he said.

They returned to the command post and found that the TAC team was due in twenty minutes.

Jarvis updated Dale with their findings, while Steve made a coffee.

Once the TAC team had arrived Dale briefed them. There was a brief discussion on tactics and it was decided that the TAC team would ingress the tunnel when Dale was at the hanger they would proceed as far as they could stealthily.

Henry was tasked with babysitting the TAC team, taking them to the garage basement while Dale, Steve and four agents paid a call on the neighbors.

They arrived at the neighboring property’s gate to find it was the same type as compounds, there was a buzzer next to the gate which Dale pushed.

After a delay of a few seconds a voice asked what they wanted, Dale said, “FBI, I have the new owner with me.”

They received direction where to go as the gate buzzed and opened. As they arrived at the hanger Jarvis radioed the TAC team to execute their penetration of the tunnel.

They were met outside an office next to the hangar by Jim the Operations Manager. Dale showed him his credentials and introduced Steve.

Jim said, “I was just checking the load re’re sending out today,” indicating the Gulfstream GIV being loaded. “I wasn’t aware José had sold the company! I’ve tried calling him to confirm the sale but he’s still not answering his phone. He’s been hard to reach since last Tuesday.”

Jim suggested that they talk in the office, before they entered Dale asked where the plane was going and what was being loaded.

Jim said, “New York, every Wednesday and Friday, we fly south Mondays and Thursdays. Fish, Bass, Catfish, Sunfish and fresh water lobster. We’re an aquaponics farm.”

Steve asked what that was, Jim said, “It’s an integrated fish and produce farm. The waste run off from the fish tanks is used as liquid fertilizer for vegetable production. The nutrients from the fish are absorbed by the plants, it’s like getting food for free.”

“I’ll need to come back and spend some time here looking around,” Steve said.

“Anytime boss,” Jim said, causing Steve to smile.

“We’d like to search the aircraft before it leaves, if that’s ok?” Dale asked.

“Search away,” Jim said.

Dale detailed two of the agents to search the aircraft.

Steve held a remote in his hand, when Dale saw it he said to Steve, “I’d like to have a private discussion with Jim, if that’s ok?”

“I’ll have a look at the aircraft while we wait, if that’s all right?” Steve said.

“Sure, help yourself,” Jim said.

Dale had Jarvis accompany Steve while another agent went with him.

Steve and Jarvis walked to the hangar and waited till Dale and Jim had gone into the office.

Jarvis pulled out his radio and called the TAC team, they were at the end of the tunnel in a large room with an in elevator similar to the one at the garage.

Steve pulled out a remote and started pressing buttons, the second button closed the exterior hangar doors. When the hangar doors were closed he pressed the next button in sequence in the far corner of the hangar a section of floor sunk into the ground, he pressed the button again to reverse it.

Steve and Jarvis walked on to the platform and Steve pressed the button to start the descent.

The basement was about sixty feet square and completely empty except for the TAC team which was spread out covering the lowering platform.

The tunnel entered through a set of doors the same as the far end.

They had a quick discussion and Steve suggested that they not expose the knowledge of the elevator and basement to Jim the Operations manager. They would leave the tunnel doors open so that the room could be checked for drug residue. Steve and Jarvis would return to the hangar calling Dale to advise him of their actions. The TAC team would stay in place in case they were needed.

On hearing Steve’s suggestion Dale approved their actions, he also said he would be another ten minutes and hung up.

This gave Steve the chance to look at the aircraft in the hangar, there were two a Gulfstream GIV fitted with a right side cargo door and a Cessna Citation CJ4.

The stairs were down on both aircraft so Steve had a quick look inside the GIV. A look at the logbook confirmed it was a C-20G an ex Airforce Gulfstream. It had five and half thousand hours on the airframe and was current on inspections and service.

The Citation though was brand new and still had that new aircraft smell it has just over a hundred hours on the airframe.

In the corner of the hangar were two sets of seat that would turn the GIV into a utilitarian commuter aircraft.

After crawling over the aircraft they went outside and Steve looked at the GIV being loaded. He slipped onboard and checked its logbook as well, it was another ex Airforce aircraft as well.

Steve and the other three agents waited for Dale to finish his interview with Jim, the agents told Steve what they had found out.

This was a large fish farm supplying high end restaurants in Washington, New York, Dallas, Mexico City and Houston plus several other cities depending on demand.

The GIV was now loaded and waiting for its pilots. They came out of an adjoining office and ran through the external preflight checks then made sure everyone was clear of the aircraft. They closed the cabin door and proceeded to start the right engine, a few minutes later the left was started.

The aircraft eventually taxied out to the end of the runway where it turned around accelerated and took off.

Dale and Jim eventually emerged from the office, Jim extended an open invitation to Steve to come and visit anytime.

Steve asked about the Citation in the hangar, Jim said, “That was José’s latest toy he only just got it.”

Steve smiled, “I’ll be using it as well,” he said.

“We only use the GIVs, so use it whenever you want, it’s yours anyway,” Jim said.

Eventually they were able to get away from Jim and return to the compound. After Dale had sent the agents off on various tasks leaving only Steve and himself to talk, “Jim about six months ago José changed, at the same time two new pilots showed up, he thought that José was involved in smuggling. The fish business is making about two million a year profit, but José spent much more. The aircraft are owned free and clear, he also said they were getting two new G550s with the old ones to be sold, I’ll follow that up,” he said.

“He also wants us to check the books and search the property, there’s a possibility the pilots were some of those bodies we recovered as well. They were no shows for the last three scheduled flights.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.