A Hole in the Ground - Cover

A Hole in the Ground

Copyright© 2017 by BuzzyBee

Chapter 1: Wednesday

Steve woke at his normal five am time, shaved showered and headed to breakfast, he had a large one to fuel his day and was finishing up when the Dale and a couple of the agents from yesterday wandered in, they quickly assembled breakfasts and joined Steve as Dale introduced Steve.

Steve offered Dale a ride to the site and so they both left early so they were on site well before seven, the extra crew Steve had hired was waiting for them when they arrived.

It was a four man crew with Earle crane driver, Kenny excavator/rock breaker, Andrew rigger and Chris laborer.

Steve introduced them all to Dale who went over the site procedures, they only moved what was approved to be moved, by FBI site team, if they found anything they would call an FBI agent over who would bag and tag it, they could take nothing from the site and would be searched as they left the site.

The four were a little surprised at the restrictions but they were paid well so they went along.

Steve took out a set of site plans and walked the site with the four, they decided on a position to locate the crane, and where to stack the concrete.

Earle and Andrew would work the pile, moving the slabs off the pile, Kenny would break the slabs into pieces Steve would move and pile, while Chris would move where needed.

The plumbers arrived before eight and located the propane tanks and water line routes, they said the electrical lines were run in the same trenches separated horizontally and vertically as gas and water.

With this information they positioned their equipment and laid out a rope marker for the supply lines leading to the house, just after eight they started moving concrete.

Half an hour later, they stopped as the first body was found, two FBI techs photographed the scene and collected evidence, then coroner removed the corpse, and they were allowed to continue.

Steve asked Dale how many bodies they expected to recover, Dale said, “We believe there were six men in the building, when it was blown.”

Steve, “We’ll break at ten, or if a body is found within half an hour before then.”

Dale, “I’ll let the caterers know.”

Steve let the crew know about the intended break, Kenny said, “I have a fuel delivery due around then four drums of diesel.”

Steve, “Thanks Kenny, I had a couple on the low-loader, but I think we’ll be here another day at least.”

They got back to work and by lunch they had recovered another body, Steve had found a garden chair by the pool and was eating a sub when Dale came over and sat down to eat, between mouthfuls he asked, “would you be interested in this place?”

Steve looked around, and said, “sure but I couldn’t afford it.”

A couple of mouthfuls later Dale said, “Two hundred thousand and it’s yours,” pulled a document from his pocket and handed it to Steve, “That’s the current valuation on the property, from the Asset Recovery group.”

Steve, “What’s the catch, this must have been a ten million dollar home. Come on Dale the government doesn’t move this fast there must be something going on.”

Dale, “The last tax assessment tem million dollars, the price has been appraised by two separate realtors and that’s their figure. I discussed your worth to the Bureau with my supervisor, want to lock you in for the next year, at your current rates. He let slip that he had discussed this with Jeremy Brown the ASAC Assistant Special Agent in Charge. Apparently director discretionary power to dispose of confiscated assets as he see fit, although there is some extra paperwork involved. They want you to think about joining us as well, you’d be part of our technical services group.”

Steve, “I happy to be locked in at my current rates, now how do I buy this place?”

Dale handed Steve a pre completed form and said, “Sign this and date it, do you have two hundred thousand dollars?”

Steve, “In the company account, can I do an EFT?”

Dale said sure and led Steve back to the command post and faxed the purchase contract off, he then had Steve login to his bank account and transfer the funds to the Asset Recovery group and label the transaction ‘Purchase Colledge Rd Case 20110221-1’.

Dale then called the Asset Recovery group and confirmed the transaction, after he hung up he said, “Congratulations you now own a pile of rubble.”

Both laughed, Dale said, “After five you can have a look at the rest of the property.”

Steve got back to work and by four they had three quarters of the pile cutup and stacked when they exposed a safe, Dale took one look and asked Steve if he could load it on his truck and take it to the Jacksonville Marshalls compound.

Steve asked, “Can’t you open it here?”

Dale, “The internal glass tamper protection would have failed due to the explosion, driving the locking pins in to place, the door will need to be cut out, it will take a while.”

Steve discussed lifting the safe with Earle and it was decided to relocate the crane for the lift while Steve drove the Kenworth and trailer over close to the crane.

The safe weighed thirty eight tons with the crane lifting it easily, once it was on the truck Steve had Kenny chip off as much of the attached concrete as they could easily.

While the safe was being lifted, Dale called for reinforcements for the safe move.

Once Steve was satisfied they had all the concrete they could get off the safe off, he swept the debris off the trailer and secured the safe with chain tie downs.

Dale was waiting with a pump action shotgun for Steve when he climbed down from the trailer, he said, “I’ll be riding with you, we have escorts outside waiting for us, follow them.”

Steve and Dale climbed into the Kenworth cab and started it up, Steve looked to Dale who asked, “Ready?”

Steve nodded and rolled the semi out of the site, they had a three police cars escort and two suburbans following.

Steve was thankful as the convoy turned into the Marshalls Jacksonville compound, he was a little surprised that it was located at the Airport though.

When Dale saw Steve’s questioning expression he said, “Better security, also the content can be flown out from here.”

The onsite Marshall opened the hanger they wanted the safe in and had Steve back in and shutdown.

Dale introduced Steve to Ross who said, “So you’re our construction expert?”

Steve smiled and said, “Dale talked me into it.”

Ross asked, “Do you need a lift back?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.