A Christmas Storm
Chapter 14: Getting Prepared

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

When we finally made it back to the house, Amy drove up. We helped her gather her clothes and pack them in her car. Her new roommate, Jenny, was with her and Gail told them both of our engagement and upcoming marriage date. Amy congratulated us and said that she was glad we were finally formalizing our relationship.

They left with Amy’s clothes and no key. I put the extra key back in my desk drawer.

We met with Pastor Bill on Tuesday and gave him the license that we had received from the clerk at the courthouse on Monday. Those meetings went well. On Thursday, he asked if we had contacted any relatives.

Gail and I admitted that that issue was an elephant in the room. I said that I suspected that my brother and his wife would be okay since they had been pushing me to meet and romance someone. Gail squirmed. “My parents will be a problem. They weren’t for my marriage but were totally against the divorce. Their church is the one that drummed me out. It’s a rural primitive Baptist church out where they live.”

Bill said, “I suggest that you try to make peace with them. It may not be possible but an attempt at reconciliation leaves you clear-minded later if it comes up.” Gail nodded. We left for the house and sat on the couch to talk.

“Todd, Pastor Bill is right. Some attempt should be made. We can approach it one of two ways. We can phone knowing that they will probably hang up on me. The other way is to go out to their house and try to meet face to face. It probably won’t be pleasant.”

I said, “Gail, it’s no more than a small bump on the road and, regardless of the outcome, know that I love you and that won’t change. We’ll drive out Saturday and make the attempt.”

Friday early evening, we called my brother and his wife who were in favor of my marriage and wanted to meet Gail. We agreed to meet for supper Saturday.

We left the Saturday morning fairly early. We didn’t check into any nets but just left. It was three hours to Gail’s parents’ home. We pulled into the drive and saw them sitting on the front porch. It was an older rural house on a quiet road. I got out of the car and went around to open the door for Gail. We started walking toward her parents holding hands.

Once we were close to the porch, I said, “Mister, Missus Campbell, I am Todd Storm. I plan to marry your daughter.”

We came to the porch steps. Gail said, “May we sit and talk with you?”

Mister Campbell said, “What if we say, ‘no, ‘ to your request?”

I said, “Then, sir, we’ll leave and not try to contact you again. Our pastor requested we try. We are doing that.”

Missus Campbell said, “Your pastor? What church would have a divorced woman?”

I replied, “It’s a United Methodist church in the area where we live. Gail has joined me as a member of the church and of the Sunday school class I am in. The Methodist denomination practices forgiveness and love for people. The church and its members offer reconciliation opportunities. Does not your church recognize that we are all sinners in need of God’s grace?”

That stopped them. Mister Campbell said with a grudging sound to his voice. “You may come up on the porch and we’ll talk.”

The look on his wife’s face could have curdled milk had there been any within sight. I was trying to figure out how Gail with her joyful spirit had come from these two, particularly her. We walked up the few steps and sat down on a love seat swing across from them.

Mister Campbell said, “Tell me about your church’s position on divorce.”

I responded, “Yes, sir. Methodists believe that Paul was correct in Romans when he wrote that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. He also wrote that we must all work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Gail’s divorce was a result of her husband deserting her. The filing simply acknowledged the fact that she was as alone as if she had been widowed.

“My former wife left me and filed for divorce. Under Georgia law, it wasn’t a matter of whether or not the divorces would be granted but how any property would be distributed since there were no children.

“The Methodist church recognizes that those things happen and God enables fresh starts. Shooting wounded Christians doesn’t sound sensible to me. Christians should be healers.”

He said, “You make it sound sensible. Divorce is wrong.”

“I agree. The Roman Catholic church would agree with your statement and doesn’t allow divorced people to take communion or really have involvement.”

Gail gave my hand a squeeze. Missus Campbell said, “We don’t hold with Catholics. We’re Baptist.”

“That’s good.” I continued. “We went to a Christmas program that one of the local Baptist churches in our area put on. I know that they have divorced persons in that church in full membership.”

I figured that I had landed sufficient atom bombs in their theology and shut up. After a few moments of silence. I said, “We have come to announce that we will be married in our Methodist church next Saturday at three in the afternoon. You are invited. At our request, it will not be fancy with just friends and other church members attending. My parents are dead but my brother will be there with his family. We would like for you to attend.”

Mister Campbell said, “Would we have to do anything?”

“No, sir. We will walk down together and present ourselves to God for our pastor to marry us. We want it to be simple.”

Mister Campbell gave a short, small nod. “Can you support my daughter?”

“Yes, sir. I own my home free and clear along with two vehicles that are without debt. I have money in the bank as well as investments. I have worked as an engineer and am looking over possibilities for after the first of the year in that field.”

“Oh,” he said in a grunt. “What do you want from us?”

I said, “Other than attending our wedding, we would like to have a relationship with you. Gail and I hope to eventually have children. Loving grandparents would be good for them.” I didn’t add it but thought that having loving grandchildren would be good for them, too.

“Are you planning to bring them up in the church?”

Gail said, “Of course. With Todd’s help and encouragement, my faith has been revitalized and strengthened. We pray before every meal. I’ve learned that Todd has a deep faith that guides his thoughts and actions. He has shared that with me and it’s been good. Todd helps others and lives a true Christian life.

“He’s also an amateur radio operator and talks to people all over the world. He helped me get licensed and I use his radios when I’m in his radio room. He owns an old farmhouse on five acres that he renovated himself. It’s a grand home but needs a woman’s touch. I will provide that touch and we’ll talk on the radio together.”

I smiled noticing how she carefully worded her statements to leave the impression that she wasn’t living at the house even though she was in an extra bedroom. I decided that I wouldn’t lie but would let her parents make wrong conclusions about our living conditions. I didn’t think they would draw the right conclusions if told everything in detail.

Our visit was cordial from that time with plenty of room left for the future. I decided that it would be interesting to see what they might do after this day. We left, unfed, in the early afternoon. On the way back, we grabbed a burger using a drive-through.

We arrived back at the house and took it easy for a short time before leaving for my brother’s house. He and his wife lived in Marietta which made it a considerable distance from my place. We made the drive through Atlanta and pulled up in their drive on time.

We got out and went to the door. They met us with happiness. My brother and his wife were glad to meet Gail and seemed to approve of her and of our plans.

We had a great meal with a glass of wine for each of the four of us. Gail and I managed to pray before the meal. My brother noticed. “Todd, I see that you’re still delving in religion.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.