A Christmas Storm - Cover

A Christmas Storm

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Chapter 6: Getting in Deeper

I woke in the morning and started out of the bedroom to turn on the coffee remembering at the last moment to wear shorts! It was good that I had shorts on because she was awake and in the kitchen!

“Good morning, Todd. Coffee is ready.”

“Uh, good morning to you, too, Gail. Thanks.” She was dressed in a pair of gym shorts and a tee shirt. I wasn’t sure about more and decided that I shouldn’t ask nor look too much.

I poured my coffee and smiled at her. Taking my cup, I returned to my room to shower and shave. I looked at my phone quickly for the weather and saw that the day would be cold but clear. However, there was nothing outside that needed my attention. I pulled on shorts and a tee shirt and some warm slippers. The floors in this old house could be cold. I walked back into the kitchen for more coffee. It was seven thirty.

“Thanks for the coffee, Gail ... What has you up so early this morning?”

“I had a good evening, slept well, and just woke early. I’m making pancakes and sausages for us to take into the radio room if that suits you.”

I smiled. “Sounds good.” She was putting the finishing touches on the plates. I buttered and syruped [Ed. If that’s not a word, it should be.] my pancakes. We prayed a quick blessing and left for the radio carrying our food and coffee.

Once inside, I flipped switches to get everything operating and took a bite in the second before everything was ready. I tuned to 7.153 to hear Al’s voice asking for check-ins. I said, “KA4D.” He acknowledged me.

I heard him acknowledge another call. It was Paul, the man from the testing last night. Paul said that he had a special announcement. Al started the net and then asked Paul to give his announcement first. Paul said, “I don’t check-in very often though listen regularly. I heard Todd, KA4D, describe Gail. I met her last night when she took and passed both her Tech and General tests.

“She is well over five foot, six, tall and slim. She doesn’t have buck teeth or wear glasses. She was wearing a green dress and looked very hot. If Todd isn’t proud to have her with him, I volunteer for the job.”

Al was chuckling when he came back on. “I heard Todd check-in. We’ll wait for the rotation to give Todd time to prepare to eat crow. Go ahead, Rolf. You’re up.”

Everyone piled on to much mirth. Just before my turn came around, I handed the microphone to Gail. “Guys, this is Gail with a very quiet KA4D. I think he hoped to keep me for himself. Now, he seems to have a few rivals. KA4D back to you, Al.”

Al was laughing as he keyed the mic. “Todd, do you have anything to say in defense or do you just have a guilty look?”

I took the mic and said, “KA4D. Actually, guys that was her roommate last night. The real Gail is here.” I heard hisses and raspberries through the speaker. ‘No, it was the Gail you’ve been hearing. She is a very pretty lady and looked it last night. I think testing sessions will be better attended in the future at the Gwinnett club hoping she or someone like her will return. I hope she will decide to prepare for her Extra. I think she will pass that test easily, too. Beauty and brains are a quite powerful combination and she lives with me. KA4D is back to net, Al.”

Al keyed down still laughing. “That sounds more believable. I’m looking forward to her QRZ page with a picture or two. Rolf, it’s your turn to start round two.”

The net continued with many comments all favorable toward Gail. It finally ended with a seventy-three round. We spoke together saying seventy-three to all. That got us both kidded.

We were laughing as we listened. Gail said, “That was fun. Do you want to be ragged by the Geritol net people or wait until tomorrow?”

“Let’s wait until tomorrow. My poor old tired body has had all the abuse it can take this morning.”

Gail smiled with that impish look. “Perhaps a kiss would revitalize you?”

“It’s worth a try.” I pulled her to me and kissed her. She responded strongly and that kiss became more emotional and encompassing. After a nice, long, endless time, we came up for air breathing heavily. I still held her and whispered, “It worked.” I could hear and feel her giggle throatily. After a bit, we untangled and started to perform such tasks as each of us might have.

Our relationship had taken a turn or reached a crossroads or taken a fork or something like that. I had enjoyed Gail’s presence before and expected I would now. I didn’t want either of us to have expectations that wouldn’t work for the other. I prayed about it quickly and then let it go. It was lunchtime when Gail came back into the radio room calling me to lunch.

I smiled and said, “Be there in a sec’. I finished on the computer and headed fro the kitchen. I decided that I would let things ride. Unless she wanted to talk, I would just let the “bear” wander around the room.

I said, “That smells good.” I prayed and we began to eat.

“It’s a vegetable soup that works well on cold days. I’m cooking a stew for tonight.”

“That sounds great. The weather guess is for more cold with a chance of snow.”

“That would be fun. I bet this area is really pretty with snow.”

“It is. I’m prepared for snow or other bad weather. The generator in the barn operates automatically in case of a power outage. The heat and the water heater are propane so aren’t really affected by the power except for the heater’s blower. When the weather is better, I’ll show you the connections and how it works.”

“Todd, it sounds like you’ve thought things through pretty thoroughly.”

“Some things are easier to think through than others. Stand-by power is a subject that has had a lot of attention. The survivalists write about it a lot. I don’t think they are too practical in some of their planning but I don’t plan to have to deal with them.”

“I noticed that my bedroom has a fireplace.”

“All the bedrooms do. It’s a legacy from the age of the house. They all work though I haven’t lit many fires even in the living room.”

“A fire might be nice and cozy.”

“It would. If you want, I’ll light one this afternoon.” I heard the cat door creak. “Voltage is coming in.”

With a happy meow, Voltage came into the kitchen. Gail said, “Hi, Voltage.” She giggled. “At least, you haven’t brought us a present.” She stroked him. She looked at me. “My parents had a cat when I was young who would catch mice, squirrels, and birds. He would bring them to Mom. Mom didn’t appreciate the dead animals much. At least, he didn’t eat them in front of us.”

“I don’t think Voltage brings them. At least he hasn’t in the years up to now. Don’t give him any ideas, Gail.” I warned with a smile.

We ate in a warm, comfortable silence. When we finished, I helped Gail with the dishes. She went to the fridge and looked inside for a moment before pulling a package of stew beef out to thaw.

“Todd, is there anything I should think about if or prepare if we have a bad storm and power outage?”

“Not really. We’ll run out of food long before power will be a problem. Beside the barn is a big propane tank. The generator has a one hundred gallon tank of gas. We’re on well water so, if there’s power, water is still available. You might make a list of food we need to last through next week. We can go after that and then let the weather do what it will.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.