A Christmas Storm - Cover

A Christmas Storm

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Chapter 3: Everyday Living

In the morning, I woke up at my usual time. I started coffee and returned to my room to shower and dress. I was chagrined to realize that I had walked to the kitchen and back naked as usual. I would have to remember someone else lived here! Voltage lived here but didn’t care. Gail might and I knew I shouldn’t expose me to her eyes regardless of her opinion about my body.

I came out dressed and cleaned up. I poured coffee and headed for my office. Once there, I turned on the radio. It was getting close to eight and I tuned to forty meters and 7.153 MHz for the Treasure Coasters net. Around a quarter ‘til, people started to gather. George would be the net control today. It was hard to hear him since he was, for forty meters, so close in Blairsville. I could hear him very faintly but others were there and ready to relay as usual.

The net started and George was calling the different stations to make their transmissions. It was fun to listen and catch up on friends spread over the eastern US. About ten or fifteen minutes after eight, Gail walked in with a cup of coffee looking curious. I turned the radio volume down fractionally and said, “It’s the Treasure Coasters Net. All of these guys are Amateur Extra or Advanced license holders. It’s a good group from all over. At that point, George called on Rudolph and his accent was noticeable. “He’s in the Cayman Islands.” Her eyes widened.

It was my turn and I transmitted that I was currently involuntarily retired for a while. I also said that I had a roommate who was cleaning and cooking to pay the rent so I would be eating better. I gave the temperature also and signed back to George.

Gail said, “That’s so neat. May I talk to them?”

“Sure. It will come around again and you can talk in my place. Remember my call?”

She grinned and pointed to the wooden carving of my call. It was on a shelf just above the radio. It came my turn and Gail said, “This is Gail with Todd, KA4D. I am his new roommate. He was helpful in getting my things moved into an extra bedroom of his. I am enjoying my time here already and particularly talking on the radio. I plan to get licensed. Over to you, George. AI4VZ from Gail with KA4D in control.” I realized that she had been listening to the pattern of talking and had picked it up!

George said, “It’s a pleasure to hear you, Gail. You sound much better than Todd. Thank you for talking with us this morning.” He then sent the net on to the next person.

She looked at me with a bit of wonder in her eyes. “He thanked me for talking with them. He sounds like a real gentleman.”

“He is. George and most all the regulars are retired. It’s a fine group.

“We can listen and participate some more or can start our day. Make the call.”

“Let’s stay and participate.” I nodded and turned the volume up a bit.

On the next round, George called for Gail with my call as control operator. Many of the others had made favorable comments about her. The one just before had asked me what she looked like adding, “I bet she is pretty.”

I jumped in and said, “She’s four foot, three inches, tall and wide, with buck teeth and heavy glasses. I turned it back over to George. He said, “Gail, I think we would like to hear from you. I don’t think any of us believes Todd. Go ahead.”

Gail took the mic and grinned at me. “Todd is an engineer. As with most engineers, he’s either lying or wrong. In this case, it’s both. I’m five foot, seven inches, tall and slim. I don’t wear glasses nor do I have buck teeth. Todd just wants to keep me for himself. He mentioned a harem at one point but he can’t handle one woman much less a group of us. AI4VZ from KA4D.”

George keyed up laughing. He said, “That’s more believable. Besides, you sound much better than Todd’s description. AI4VZ to N1GE. Go ahead, Bob.”

“I agree with you George. She’ll have to post a picture on QRZ or Facebook that she identifies as hers before we’ll know. N1GE back to AI4VZ.”

“I think you have it right, Bob. AI4VZ to W4PHJ.”

Craig was no help to me. He invited her to come down to the money pit or to Hamcation so they could make unbiased, personal determinations. I let Gail say 73 to all to close.

She did and then rounded on me. “Four feet tall with buck teeth and glasses! You’re a rat! The cooking quality just went down a notch.”

I laughed. “I give up. Keep the cooking good. I’ll tell everyone that you’re a blonde, younger version of Angelina Jolle without the kids or Brad to encumber you.”

She grinned at me. “What was Craig talking about the money pit and ham vacation?”

“The money pit is his name for a house where he hangs out with radios and antennas. He and his wife live in a condo in Vero Beach, Florida. He also has a nice motor home. Hamcation is a big hamfest in February that many of this group attend. It’s in Orlando and is a big deal.”

“Okay, Todd. Let’s eat breakfast.”

We left the room for the kitchen. She cooked and we ate. It was good, very good.

As we were cleaning up, she asked me, “Todd, what’s on the list for today?”

“I think applying for unemployment should be first while we still have all the paperwork at hand. There may be requirements to fulfill. The sooner we know, the sooner we can get it done.”

I thought a moment. “You also need to put in a forwarding address. We can go by the post office for that. After that, you might want to arrange your room or the kitchen or both to better suit you. The kitchen hasn’t been touched since Marilyn left and she wasn’t much more of a cook than I am.” I grinned.

I then said, “Do you have anything we should do?”

“I like all that, Todd. I want to go over what’s here for food and cleaning supplies to be sure another trip to the store isn’t needed.”

We went by the post office and she put in a forwarding to my address. Then, we went to the unemployment office. That’s not a fun stop. The work can’t be fun for the people and the atmosphere isn’t one that makes you want anything other than to be gone. Fortunately, we didn’t have to take classes in job hunting. It took an hour to get through the process for the two of us. We left and I bought us lunch at a Mexican restaurant which was both inexpensive and quite good. I had been there before. We stopped at a store and got the things on the list. I drove home and parked in the garage. We went in with groceries and cleaning supplies to be met by Voltage. Gail stooped to pet him and talk to him. We got everything put into place.

I went to my office and started on my computer to update my resume which took almost no time. After all, I had been thinking about this possibility. I then put it with a few headhunters I knew.

While I didn’t want my unemployment to go on for long, I really didn’t want to start to work until January. Financially, I was set for that much time without any pain whatsoever. I didn’t know or inquire about Gail’s status but knew I had improved her situation. I was sitting back in my office when my phone rang.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.