A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 4 - Elyse
Chapter 52: Meeting Halfway

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 52: Meeting Halfway - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 3. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first three books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Military   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

January 19, 1991, Chicago, Illinois

I found Ed, and he went to talk to my sister while I went to my study to call Bethany and let her know what had transpired.

“Do you think she can successfully work with Doctor Fremd without revealing what happened?” I asked.

“Keeping things from a counselor is almost always a very bad idea. You managed to do it, but only because you had very close confidantes who knew your circumstances and, fortunately, were able to help you.”

“Are you going to revise your research?” I asked.

“No. I don’t want to touch it, for obvious reasons. Anything I do in the future will, of necessity, exclude everything you told me before my PhD was conferred and I received license. You said she’s with Ed right now?”

“Yes. He and I still need to talk. She needs to finish her degree and get through her interviews which start next week.”

“Let me know if there’s anything I can do. We’ll see you for Jesse’s birthday.”

“Thanks, Sweetheart. We’re looking forward to it.”

We said our goodbyes and hung up. Ed came to find me about forty minutes later and told me he was taking my sister home with him. I mentioned my concern about school, and he said he would handle it, and let me know if he needed anything.

“Just make sure she calls and makes her appointment with Doctor Fremd,” I said.

“I will. And thanks for everything.”

“Keep an eye on my sister, Ed. She’s in your hands now.”

He nodded soberly, “I know.”

We shook hands, and I went back to the sunroom to be with my family.

January 21, 1991, Chicago, Illinois

“Israel reported 15 injuries in Tel Aviv from those SCUD missiles we heard about on CNN last night,” Elyse said.

“Hussein is trying for an escalation,” I replied. “If he can get Israel involved, he might be able to break the coalition. I’m sure Bush is burning up the phone lines to the Israeli Prime Minister begging them to just sit tight.”

“Kind of tough to do when your cities are being bombed!”

“Yes, but the last thing Israel wants is to push Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia closer to the Iraqis. As tough as it is, Israel just needs to take the punishment and let the US respond on their behalf.”

“An interesting comment from someone who opposes this war.”

“Now that we’re in it, we need to win it. And as quickly as possible with the loss of as few American lives as possible.”

“And the Iraqis?”

“I know this sounds cold, but they’ll have to worry about themselves. Too many of my friends are in the military for me to think otherwise.”

Josie came into the kitchen with Jesse, and handed him off to Abbie, then headed to work. Jennifer had two offers from firms in the city, and it was her deadline for making a decision. We’d talked briefly about it, but in the end, she was getting advice from Josie, not me, which was the right thing for her to do.

“Mom One is getting a new job!” Jesse said.

“I know!” I said. “She wants to work closer to home.”

“She says driving to work is shitty!”

Abbie, Kara, Elyse, and I all laughed hard.

“Jesse, that’s not a good word to use,” I said once I stopped laughing.

“Why? Mom One and Mom Two say it!”

“Yes, but a lot of people don’t like those words. I bet Francesca’s mom would be very upset if Francesca said it.”

“Mom Two says Francesca’s mom is a bitch!”

More laughter ensued. Kara touched my arm, letting me know she wanted to say something.

“Jesse, when she said that, were you in the room with her?” Kara asked.

“No! I was on the stairs!”

The little turkey was eavesdropping! I knew he’d spied on me when I was with April, and now it was clear he was listening in to his moms’ conversations. I’d need to warn Jennifer and Josie!

“That’s something we don’t say to anyone else, please,” I said. “It’s not very nice.”

“But Mom Two said it!” he protested.

“I know, but it was private, just in our family. There are lots of things we don’t say to people outside our family.”

“Like about kissing?”

“In our family, we talk about everything,” I said. “But not all families are like that.”

“Jesse, why don’t we go play,” Abbie said. “Your dad, Aunt Kara, and Aunt Elyse need to finish eating and go to work. Mathew, Michael, Birgit, and Albert are already in the sunroom.”

“OK!”

Abbie took Stephie from her high chair, and Jesse followed them out of the kitchen.

“I think if you look up ‘precocious’ in the dictionary, they’ll have Jesse’s picture there,” Kara said when they were out of earshot.

“Our eldest daughter isn’t far behind!” I said. “And really, none of the kids are. Stephie and Albert are quiet, but I think they’re just overwhelmed by the three ‘Type-A’ personalities of each of our oldest kids and Jesse! Michael’s kind of in-between.”

“I think Matthew may be the smart one,” Elyse said with a grin. “He’ll wait until Jesse and Birgit duke it out, then take on the winner in a weakened state!”

“Could be! Abbie was right, though,” I said. “We do need to get to work.”

We finished our breakfast, put our dishes in the sink, said our goodbyes to the kids, and headed out.

“How is your sister?” Elyse asked.

“I think Ed has things under control. She told me that she’d see the therapist that Bethany recommended.”

“How are YOU?”

“I’m fine. The revelation from Jennifer really wasn’t that shocking, when it comes right down to it. I think we’ve all known about my mood swings. It was just tying it all together.”

“Are you seeing Doctor Barton at lunch today?”

“Yes. I’ll fill him in and get his advice.”

“You’re seeing a sales candidate this morning, right?”

“Yes. Someone who works with Wen at SPSS. I can’t imagine I’ll veto someone that Wen recommends, but you never know.”

“I wasn’t aware you were still in touch with her.”

“Occasionally. She’s married now, and we talk maybe once every three to four months. But it’s never more than just a quick conversation about how things are going at work.”

“Whatever happened to Anna Wilson?”

“Gerry couldn’t handle her being friends with an ex-boyfriend, and was very uncomfortable with our ‘libertine’ lifestyle. We exchange Christmas cards and birthday cards, but that’s it.”

“That does fit the pattern. We do need to talk about your trip to Sweden and Russia.”

“I wasn’t looking for permission,” I said. “Getting laid is pretty low on my list of priorities for that trip!”

“And yet, somehow, opportunities just seem to fall into your lap!”

“I’m not sure how, given Katt and Karin are married, and Tina has a «sambo», which is in effect the same thing.”

“‘Samboo’?”

“A Swedish word for partner, though a bit more permanent than it sounds. She’s living with her boyfriend, but they may as well be married.”

“And there are NO other girls in all of Sweden?” Elyse laughed.

“I’m going to be there five or six days, and I’ll be with those couples and Jesse. And I’ll spend some time with Karin’s parents. Not to mention the STD test requirement.”

“Talk to Jess and Kara, but I trust your judgment should the circumstances arise. Within the rules.”

“I doubt they will, but I understand.”

“Are you going to take Jesse to see Birgit’s grave?”

“Why? She doesn’t mean anything to him. If I were taking Birgit, and she were older, I might. I promised myself that I’d tell her about the first Birgit when she was old enough.”

“And Stephie?”

“Probably the same. We’ll see. It’s easier with Albert, given that Al is around.”

We arrived at the office and after the usual morning routine, I conducted the staff meeting, and then interviewed Ken Parsons, an inside sales representative working at SPSS. He seemed like a good fit, though I was a bit concerned that he had been doing only inside sales.

“You’re prepared to travel and meet with clients?” I asked. “I know this is a Chicago-based role, but the central-region is fairly large geographically.”

“Cindi explained everything. I feel comfortable with the role.”

He seemed relaxed, and that allayed some of my concern, but I’d still discuss it with Cindi. I took a bit longer for the interview than I normally would have because of that concern, and after he’d left, I called Cindi into my office.

“My only concern is his lack of direct, face-to-face sales experience. Are you sure this is the guy you want?”

“You’re not vetoing him, correct?”

“No. I’m just making sure you considered something I think is important. It’s your team, and if he doesn’t perform, it’s your problem!”

Cindi laughed, “I hear you. He’ll be selling contracting services and medical software. It’ll let Kayla focus primarily on legal software, though obviously everyone sells everything when it comes right down to it.”

“OK. No veto. How are the interviews for the support role going?”

“I have a hypothetical question in that regard. Say my best candidate was currently in school and was going to drop out. Would you be willing to hire someone like that?”

“I’d be a hypocrite to say that I wouldn’t, because I think everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves, but I’m not sure I’d want to aid and abet someone dropping out of school.”

“If the person was going to drop out anyway, would that change your thinking?”

“How about we skip the hypothetical?”

“You know the person, I think. Eve Dunham. I think you met her when you talked to Doctor Driesson’s class last semester.”

“I think I remember her. English accent, right?”

“Yes. She’s from London originally. She and her mom moved to the US right before she started at IIT.”

“She has a work permit?”

“Her father is American; ex-Navy. She has an American passport, but grew up in England.”

“Why is she dropping out?”

“She didn’t say.”

“She’s finishing her Junior year,” I said. “That’s an odd time to drop out. Something doesn’t feel right.”

“I can’t really delve too deeply. I asked Elyse, and she checked with Jamie. Unless Eve volunteers the information, I have to be careful about asking things that don’t directly relate to the job.”

“I’d say this does, but we pay Jamie to be the one who makes those calls. If this were five or six years ago, I think I might feel differently. You remember my friend Elliot tried to get me to interview with PRIME when I was a Sophomore.”

“Boy am I glad you didn’t do that!”

“I suppose the thing to do is bring Eve in for a full interview.”

“I already did that.”

“No, I mean with me. This won’t be a cursory interview. I’ll do a full-blown evaluation and give you my opinion.”

“I’ll set it up. I’ll also get Kimmy to draw up the paperwork for Ken.”

“Thanks. And keep up the good work! How are you feeling?”

“Like a beached whale! I have about six weeks to go, and it can’t go fast enough!”

“I’m assuming that Kayla is up to speed?”

“Yes. I’ve had her prepare the last two pipeline reports, and I’m copying her on all my correspondence with customers. She’ll be fine.”

“Do you know if you’re having a boy or a girl?”

“Nope. Chris didn’t want to know. I didn’t care one way or the other, so we didn’t ask Doctor Robertson.”

I laughed, “I didn’t know you were seeing her! She could go into business as the company doctor and it would be a full time job!”

“I asked Doctor Jessica for an OB recommendation and that’s who she suggested.”

“Penny and the mothers to my kids all love her. She’ll deliver Jessica’s second baby later this year.”

“I’m going to go get the paperwork started and make the arrangements to bring Eve in for her interview.”

“Thanks, Cindi!”

She was back in less than an hour with forms for me to sign. I scanned them, signed them and handed them back. She’d also set up an interview with Eve for the following Monday afternoon. I worked until 11:30am, then headed to Medici for my lunch with Al Barton. I’d told him I had something important to talk to him about, and he’d requested a table in a corner, as opposed to our usual one in the middle of the room.

“What’s on your mind?” he asked after we ordered.

I took him through everything that I’d talked about with Ed, Bethany, Jennifer, Stephanie, Elyse, and my wives. He listened raptly and simply let me talk until I was quiet for a minute.

“What you’ve said about your sister, I’m fully behind. For you, though, I can’t condone self-diagnosis and treatment for something potentially that serious. Did you check with this Doctor, Fremd, was it? Perhaps he’ll see both of you.”

“I don’t want my sister to feel uncomfortable, so I don’t think it’s a good idea even if he would. My counter argument is that I’ve been on a very even keel since Jess came home. Yes, I had that bout of syncope when Nick died, but otherwise, I haven’t had a single health problem.”

“You see, I’m wondering if all of this isn’t somehow related. Everything I’ve heard points to a neurological problem of some kind. I had my suspicions before with the syncope, but when we add in everything else, I don’t see how it can be anything else. I’ll make you a deal; you schedule a complete neurological workup, including a brain scan, EEG, and a full psychological evaluation, as well as a full metabolic panel, and then we’ll discuss options. I’ll give you a referral to the Chief of Neurology, and the Chief of Psychiatry.”

“On the condition that you and I agree that I am not going to take any kind of mood-altering drugs, legal or illegal.”

“The same thing your sister was worried about.”

“Yes. As I said before, I’m convinced, at least as a layman, that your prescription to seriously reduce my sugar intake, whether it’s simple sugars or complex carbohydrates, has made a serious difference. And you know my exercise routine. And, I have Jess, Kara, Elyse, Jennifer, and Abbie to look out for any signs of problems. None of them will let me slide.”

“Who decided you should talk to me?”

“I did,” I said. “When I decided I wanted my sister to see Doctor Fremd without worrying about me also seeing him. I trust your judgment, Al, but you know my general feeling about the medical profession!”

“You’re married to a doctor, for Pete’s sake!” he laughed. “I figured you’d mellow on that topic eventually.”

“When the profession is no longer filled with pill-pushing quacks, I’ll see about changing my mind. I do like individual doctors, like Sally Robertson. And Kulczycki isn’t too bad.”

“What did you think of Malik?” he asked with a smile.

“OK! OK! I get your point!”

“Call my office tomorrow. Victoria will make all the arrangements with Medicine, Neuro, and Psych. Plan to be in the hospital at least twenty-four hours for the full workup. We’ll want to do blood glucose tolerance tests, so it’s easier that way.”

“Gee, you really know how to encourage a guy!”

“You won’t have an IV, and you won’t be hooked up to any monitors overnight,” Al said, then grinned. “And to control any spikes in your blood pressure, your wives, including Elyse, won’t be allowed to be in your room with you. And I’ll make sure you’ll only have male nurses and doctors attending.”

“Now that’s downright cruel!” I laughed.

“Maybe you’ll be better disposed towards the medical profession...”

“I guess you are braver than I thought,” I replied smugly, “if you’re willing to face Kara, Elyse, AND Jessica if you were to were thinking of trying to ban them from seeing me.”

“Hmmmm, point taken. I’ll have to reconsider. Anyway, the worst part will be preparation. You can’t carbohydrate restrict beforehand, and then when you take the test, you have to drink quite a bit of what’s effectively syrup.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.