A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 4 - Elyse
Prologue

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Prologue - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 3. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first three books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Military   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

November, 2004, Chicago, Illinois

“Seriously?” I asked.

“Nearly twenty years is a LONG time to keep the same role, don’t you think?” Al said.

“It is, but that doesn’t make it easier to accept.”

“I’m going home. Chicago has been home for two decades, but I really can’t pass up this position.”

“Dean of UCLA Medical School? No, I don’t suppose you could. When do you start?”

“In January. The current dean is retiring due to health issues. An old friend of mine called me and asked me to apply.”

“And you kept this from me?”

“I honestly didn’t think it would happen. I’m an emergency medicine guy who hates administrative work. But we both know I’m at a point where I shouldn’t be taking ER shifts. I’ve spent far more time teaching than in the ER for the past five years.”

“Have you told Fawn, Georg, and the kids?”

“Not yet. They’re next. And Gerry, Amelia, and their kids. And with Fawn in New York, and Gerry in Florida, there really isn’t anything keeping me here in Chicago. Well, Jessica, and your family, of course. But I’ve lived alone for three years now. A change of scenery will be a good thing. You know I’ll miss you guys!”

“And your replacement?” I asked with a smile.

Al laughed hard, “You know who I think should get the job! She’s the best trauma surgeon in the hospital and probably the best teacher. But it’s not up to me. And believe it or not, that episode sixteen years ago STILL impacts her career.”

“That’s just flat out stupid and you know it! She is a tenured full professor of emergency medicine, has been an Attending since she finished her Fellowship, and should have been both Chief Resident and Chief Attending! Show me one person who doesn’t agree with that!”

“I agree with you. You know that. But the hospital board sees that episode and all they can think of is the liability lawsuit if something were to happen, even if it had nothing to do with her breakdown sixteen years ago. It would be dredged up and laid at the board’s feet.”

“That’s just pure bullshit and ass-covering! She’s given the keynote at a number of important trauma conferences, has published a dozen papers in refereed journals, and pioneered a revised training program under your direction.”

“I know. All she can do is apply. I’ll give my recommendation, and I’m sure she’ll have recommendations from a score of other doctors she’s worked with or who she’s trained over the years. But I just don’t think that will be enough.”

I nodded. He was probably right. But I had a card to play that might just move things in her favor.

“I’m going to call in a favor,” I said.

Al frowned, “That’s a dangerous game to play. Very dangerous.”

“Actually, it isn’t. It’s simply me asking a friend to talk to her husband, the board member, and have him make the case. Forcefully.”

“You’re putting him in a sticky position if you do that. He has a conflict of interest.”

“So do a number of other members of the hospital board for various reasons. All he’s going to do is make a point about the time that’s elapsed and how the board is running very little risk in appointing the best trauma surgeon in the country as Chief of Emergency Medicine.”

Al smiled, “And implying that a major source of funding for the hospital might dry up. And, without saying it directly, reminding them who paid for the complete overhaul of the ER a few years ago.”

I smiled, “You told me to develop good friendships, and how valuable they were. So did Joyce’s grandfather when he was alive. I’ve purposefully avoided involvement in those decisions, except for voting for them when they came before the board.”

Al laughed, “You could have knocked me over with a feather when I first heard you’d accepted a seat on that board!”

“It’s complicated, and you know it goes back nearly seventeen years. As I said then, when she asked, I really didn’t feel like I could say ‘no’ to her.”

“Just be careful, Steve.”

“Trust me,” I said. “I know all about the subtle application of force. I learned a lot about that from my karate Sensei before he retired, as well as from his Sensei in Japan.”

“You never changed the name of the dojo when he retired two years ago.”

“It’s still his in spirit. And you know I usually only teach once a week. Jolene, Therese, and Will are the main instructors. But back to your move. When are you going to tell her?”

“This afternoon. Once you and I finish lunch, I’ll head back and have her come up to my office. And yes, I’ll strongly encourage her to apply for the role.”

“Good. And good luck, Al. I’ll miss seeing you regularly.”

“You travel to LA a couple of times a year to visit your most important client. Just call and we’ll get together. I’ll mostly be pushing paper, and I promise anything on my desk will wait for a few hours while we have lunch!”

“It’ll be quite the change from emergency medicine, that’s for sure,” I said. “You know, I still remember that day I met you like it was yesterday. And we’re all grateful.”

“Nicholas has turned into a fine young man. Has he talked to you about his career plans?”

“He has,” I said. “I’ve encouraged him to talk to his mom, but he doesn’t think she’ll understand or agree.”

“He’ll make a fine officer, and a better doctor,” Al said with a smile.

“Yes, he will. And a fine husband as well.”

Al laughed, “Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun a bit? He’s fifteen and she’s fourteen!”

“True, but my daughters get what they want. Always. Just like Fawn did with you!”

“The main thing I got from Fawn was gray hair!”

“And now?” I grinned.

“First chair violin in the New York Symphony? Married to a Wall Street lawyer? Two wonderful grandchildren? That’s all fantastic! But parenting a teenage girl, especially one as beautiful as Fawn, was no picnic! You have several of your own.”

“I do, but I don’t have the same concern you did. You know my take on that.”

“Yes, and your, shall we say, history. You showed admirable restraint!”

I nodded and smiled. He had no idea.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.