16 December 2006 - Cover

16 December 2006

Copyright© 2017 by Mustang

Chapter 2

Abby was transfixed by Brad’s singing and keyboard playing. She also had something important she needed to do. As he played another song, ‘Man in Motion,’ by John Parr, Abby pointed to a small stack of flyers in her hand, motioning to Brad that she was going to hand them out to shoppers.

Out of his line of sight, she put the stack of papers on the table. “Mrs. Miller, can I ask you to help me for a few minutes?”

“Of course I can. What do you need?” She asked, eyeing her conservatively dressed yet still sensual-looking figure.

“I want to buy a Christmas present for Brad, and I have something in mind. I’d like your opinion.”

“I’d be happy to help.” They snuck away from the proceedings.


They walked side by side past several stores, and then Abby led her to a jewelry store. “I noticed a necklace in the display case, and I’m wondering if you think Brad would wear it for me.”

“Abby, honey, he’d wear fossilized shit on a string for you,” Karen joked, and they laughed. She chuckled, remembering having said the same thing to Brad. Karen noticed the same saleswoman attending to another customer as Abby approached the counter, eyeing her prize.

“That one, the necklace that looks like a heart with a lightning bolt in place of an arrow, is piercing it,” she pointed. Karen covered her mouth to hide her snicker as she realized the necklace was the same one Brad just bought for her.

“Back again so soon?” The saleswoman asked, recognizing Karen.

“You have such a lovely store. I was looking in here for something for Dan,” she reasoned to Abby.

“I see that necklace is now on sale. Do you think a boy would wear that kind of jewelry?” Abby pointed the necklace out to the woman. “Mrs. Miller, do you think Brad would wear it for me?”

“This necklace is the last one remaining. As a matter of fact, I just sold the other one...” Karen motioned to the woman not to reveal anything. “Yes, I do think a boy would wear it. I just sold the other one to my niece as a present for her boyfriend,” she smiled at Karen, realizing that the two were interested in the same item for each other.

“It looks very beautiful. Yes, Abby, Brad would happily wear it for you,” Karen agreed. Abby quickly bought the necklace and asked Karen to hide it for her.


At 12:45, Dale Corbett, Mike Johnson, and Hans Mueller arrived wearing their Belleville Falcons hockey sweaters. They graciously posed for pictures, signed autographs, and handed out fliers in support of Eric’s day. Amber and Steve arrived with their parents, along with Britney and others, to show their interest in and support for the worthy cause.

Several children or teenagers attending had their parents sign their participation in the organ donor program. Britney mentioned to her parents her strong interest in being tested as a possible liver donor candidate for Eric Chandler.

Brad took a break, allowing Christmas music to fill the air. He met Mike, Dale, and Hans, thanking them for attending. He told them he hoped to be drafted into the OHL next year.


Brad was prompted to return to the stage and sing again. “We are awaiting the arrival of our special guest, who is a very brave young man. Heroes, people that we admire, come in all manners of life and ages.” Hero has three songwriters, Enrique Iglesias, Mark Taylor, and Paul Michael Barry.

Brad began the song, replacing the guitar version with a piano on his keyboard.


Let me be your hero (he softly whispered.)

Would you dance

If I asked you to dance?

Would you run

And never look back?

Would you cry

If you saw me crying?

And would you save my soul, tonight?


Abby stood still as if hypnotized in a trance, eyes locked on her love.


Would you tremble

If I touched your lips? (Abby touched hers.)

Would you laugh?

Oh please tell me this

Now would you die

For the one you loved? (She nodded, yes.)

Hold me in your arms, tonight


Brad scanned the audience as he sang, noticing Abby’s eyes fixed on him.


I can be your hero, baby

I can kiss away the pain

I will stand by you forever

You can take my breath away


Would you swear

That you’ll always be mine? (“I will always be yours,” she muttered.)

Or would you lie?

Would you run and hide? (“Never!”)

Am I in too deep?

Have I lost my mind?

I don’t care...

You’re here tonight


Abby’s eyes grew misty with deepening love and pride for Brad. Her chin began to quiver with raw emotion; her eyes watered, and a tear trickled down her cheek. Wendy nudged Karen, who touched Vicky. “Look at Abby. Have you noticed her tears? See that expression on her face? Has she ever got it bad for Brad!”


I can be your hero, baby

I can kiss away the pain

I will stand by you forever

You can take my breath away. (“You take mine away too!”)


Oh, I just want to hold you

I just want to hold you, oh, yeah

Am I in too deep?

Have I lost my mind?

Well, I don’t care...

You’re here tonight


Brad nodded his head, acknowledging the arrival of Eric Chandler and his parents.


I can be your hero, baby

I can kiss away the pain, oh, yeah

I will stand by you forever

You can take my breath away


Karen noticed Abby’s trance-like stare. “Are you alright, Abby?” She asked, her arm going around her waist. She looked at Karen, her chin vibrating and her hand wiping away a tear.

“I can’t help it,” she sighed as Karen wiped her tear aside. “I love him so damn much!” They embraced as Brad continued the song for her, and she tried to sing along too.


I can be your hero

I can kiss away the pain

And I will stand by you forever

You can take my breath away

You can take my breath away


I, can be, your, hero


As the last chord echoed throughout the room, the crowd applauded, especially Abby. Brad stood, taking the microphone from the stand.

“Thank you for your kind applause. As I mentioned, heroes come in different sizes and ages. I would like to introduce you to one of my heroes and the reason we’re gathered here today. Please welcome, Eric Chandler!”

The room erupted in thunderous applause as Eric stood from his wheelchair and walked up the few steps to Brad. They greeted each other with generous high-fives and a hug.

“Thank you, Brad. Hi everyone! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!” Eric said loudly into the mic. “I’m glad that so many people have stopped by to be with my friends. Every year, thousands of people of all ages die needlessly waiting for organ transplants. I also need a transplant because my liver is failing and I need a new one or I will soon die. I have a rare blood type, AB negative, which makes finding a match even more difficult.”

“I have discovered that one of Brad’s friends, Britney, knows the sadness of running out of time because her younger brother died awaiting a lung transplant. She also happens to be AB negative, and with her parent’s consent, she’s going to be tested to see if she’s a good match for me.” There was generous applause as Eric pointed to Britney.

“Did you know that the liver is capable of regenerating itself? A portion of a donor’s liver would grow back in my body, and theirs would grow back to normal size? I hope that everyone, young and old, will make their wishes known so that, should the worst happen, some good can come from their passing. I ask that you fill out the questionnaires for living liver donation and to be a donor for other organs as well.”

“Thank you to all for attending, and please have a Merry Christmas!”

The room erupted in thunderous applause for Eric, and he smiled and waved to the crowd. He posed for pictures with several people. Dale Corbett presented him with a Falcons ball cap and T-shirt. He, Mike, and Hans gladly posed for more pictures with him.

Eric, tiring easily, returned to his wheelchair. He made it a point to thank everyone who helped organize and put on the show in his honour.


Abby spent the next few minutes talking with Wendy, noticing she was easily distracted every time Dan walked past her. Dan would pause to chat, Wendy’s eyes glistening as they darted over his handsome face. He kissed her cheek, returning to the organized confusion of the day.

“ ... Where were we? I’ve forgotten what we’re talking about,” Wendy sighed, watching Dan leave. Abby laughed lightly, realizing Wendy had the same look for Dan as she has for Brad. Wendy is in love with Dan.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.