Butler No More - Cover

Butler No More

Copyright© 2016 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 7

“We cannot understand this treatment of fellow humans. If one of the Personalia has difficulties of any sort, the rest of us rectify the situation as an obligation to each other. We always know we can depend on one another.”

John responded, “I don’t propose to defend my fellow humans. I merely admit that we do not always act logically.”

“Weird, but that is humanity, we agree. Oh, I should mention that we have found a link between the Colonel and the Corporal. They have a genealogical connection of sorts: they are second cousins. Does that help?”

“It does indeed. It explains why the Colonel was trying to help the Corporal. I suspect the Corporal has no idea of her relationship to Mrs Kempe.”

“She probably does not know the maiden surname of Mrs Diane Kempe. We shall leave it at that, Major. On your other point, we believe we might be able to assist with the repair of Corporal Kathleen Malone’s pelvis. We think we can engineer a special batch of nano-machines to reconfigure the bone structure. They should be available within two days.”

“What makes you say that, without all the scans and ex-rays?”

“When she arrived on board, we chose what seat she should use, and got her to sit there on the basis of comfort. That seat was suitable for us to scan her as she sat there, so we already possess all the details we need for the planned work on her pelvis. The other half of her pelvis amounts to the human normal, so we can configure our nanos to rebuild the shattered half to mirror the good half. Other nanos will be allocated to adjust her musculature to the new frame, as her muscles have changed over the years to accommodate the results of her injury.

The main requirement during the repair work will be for her to remain steady in a comatose position for the best results. We would prefer a hospital for that task, as they can provide the physical restraint, the chemical input to enforce her staying unconscious during treatment, and the careful nursing assistance with other bodily functions without significant movement of the body.”

“Good grief! This is a lot better than what I was asking for.”

“We thought this WAS what you were asking for: repair of Corporal Kathleen Malone’s pelvis.”

“Well, yes, but I was expecting to ask you to pay for the surgery on Earth.”

“What? All that cutting up and bolting pieces together? What we suggest is simpler, quicker, and more effective. Which do you want?”

“Your offer, most definitely! Can I speak to Colonel Kempe about where the repair work will take place?”

“Indeed. Please note that the initial work will involve placement of a nano node for the other nanos to work from. We need to send a triangulation of signals to a specific point, and the nano node will migrate to there. The repair nanos, which can be injected to near the bone construction site, will operate in relation to that node, to ensure accuracy.”

John kept that phone open, and borrowed Elizabeth’s to call the Colonel.

“Colonel, I have a suggestion from The Personalia for them to repair Corporal Kathleen Malone’s pelvis, using nanos. There is a requirement for her to be restrained and sedated during the repair work, and a hospital is the preferred option. Is there any way that could be achieved in the Colony, or does it mean sending her to Earth?”

The Colonel is quickly on the ball, and replied, “We have plans for a hospital, but at the moment all we have is a medical centre and a couple of doctors, plus a few nurses for the practice. If we turn one of the guest rooms at the Governor’s Residence into a temporary hospital, probably one or both doctors can arrange what is required. Leave it with me and I will contact The Personalia myself if it is a ‘go’.”

“I am happy to leave that with you, Colonel. Corporal Malone is assisting me with the fitness tests tomorrow and the next day, so there is no need for any rush job. She can be made available as and when the medical plan is ready.”

“That is satisfactory, Major. Thank you for your initiative.”

“Glad to assist the Colony, sir.”

John switched phones, and told The Personalia, “The Colonel is going to see if we can provide the needful here, and she will let you know. Thanks for all your input.”

The Personalia voiced, “Glad to be of service. Goodbye.”

John looked happily at Elizabeth, and took her face in his hands to give her a deep kiss. “Thank you for your initiative, my darling. You did well for all of us.”

Elizabeth grinned back. “Anything to assist my man.”

“Our man, Elizabeth!” a voice declared, and they discovered Catherine had joined them. “I just heard the end of that conversation. Sounded like good news, anyway.”

Elizabeth told her, “Yes, it was. The Personalia are offering a procedure to repair Kathleen’s pelvis, and the Colonel is seeing if it can be done without shipping her back to Earth.”

Catherine smiled, saying “Oh, yes, Kathleen: your disabled lady. Well done to both of you. That deserves a kiss, doesn’t it?” She proceeded to kiss Elizabeth, and then John. John took the opportunity to put his arms round her and give her a squeeze as they exchanged kisses. Elizabeth looked on fondly.

Catherine now asked, “When do we get the list of candidates for the fitness test? Do you know?”

John said, “I have asked for an alphabetical listing to be printed out for you five observers, as I said. So I will get them in the morning at the latest; perhaps before the end of today, if we are fortunate.”

He switched subjects. “Elizabeth, have you come up with any fitness test for Kathleen yet?”

She grimaced. “I have had a few ideas, but none of them are exactly what is needed. One was swimming, but we have no swimming pool and who knows what is in the river? Then I thought of her swinging by her hands along a set of overhead bars, but we would need to have a thick mattress for as and when she slips and falls, unless the bars were very low.

I wondered if we could have a wheelchair endurance race, but I don’t know if we have any wheelchairs here. I don’t want her doing a walking endurance test, as that might cause her further injury.”

“Why don’t you ask her for suggestions?” said Catherine.

“What? Get her to say what she should be tested on? That doesn’t sound fair to the others.”

“You’ll never know unless you ask, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth glanced at John, and he nodded. “Worth asking, darling,” he agreed.

Elizabeth went off to catch Corporal Malone, to do just that. When she eventually found her, she put it to her straight.

“Corporal, what would you suggest for testing your own fitness?”

She thought for a moment, then replied, “Archery. I used to belong to an archery club. If we could find a suitable bow and a few arrows, and a target, you could test me on distance and accuracy. You need good arm strength for archery.”

Elizabeth nodded as she saw the validity of the idea.

“I’ll contact the Colonel, to see if we have any archery equipment.”

She tried phoning, and got the engaged signal, and left the call on hold. It was nearly ten minutes before her phone confirmed the call had gone through,

“Colonel – Sergeant Frobisher here. Do we have any archery equipment available? We are looking at using archery to test Corporal Malone’s fitness.”

Mrs Kempe was stuck and replied, “Sergeant, I haven’t heard of such equipment being in the Colony. If it cannot be located, then order what is needed, as a priority delivery.”

Elizabeth got on to Logistics, who swiftly confirmed that archery equipment was not on their inventory.

“In that case, I have Colonel Kempe’s authority to order these as a priority delivery. It is for use by Corporal Kathleen Malone for fitness testing, so check with her what bow would suit best, and get arrows for use with that bow, plus a quiver for them. Oh, and we need an archery target as well.”

“Right, sergeant. Needed for when?”

“Tomorrow or the next day preferably. Is that do-able, or am I asking for the Moon?”

“It should be possible in a couple of days, Sergeant. It depends on how quick the Earth end are. The phone order will go direct to the firm, for them to air freight the order to Ascension Island. We’ll get Corporal Malone to speak to the firm, so that the order details are clear.”

“That sounds great. My thanks for your help.”

Elizabeth reported back to John at their evening meal, giving him the gist of the decisions. He was pleased.

“Elizabeth, that was fast and efficient. That bodes well for your work with the Security Department. I will do a brief report to the Colonel about the arrangements for the fitness tests, including that for Corporal Malone. I won’t mention her genealogical connection to the Colonel. That is too much information, I think.”

Elizabeth concurred. “Yes. That is for a private conversation only, John; possibly when you want something...”

John pretended to look horrified. “As if I would, my darling Elizabeth!” he hesitated, then went on, “Unless it was something for you or Catherine...” he laughed.

Catherine interposed, “Indeed, once we are your wives, you have to consider our welfare, don’t you, dear?”

John smiled at her affectionately. “Don’t push me TOO early, young lady!”

She grimaced. “I am not a young lady, as I keep telling you. I am a woman, YOUR woman! Or, if you prefer it, your OTHER woman.” She smiled at Elizabeth.

John threw up his hands. “O.K. I have two wonderful women, and I love you both. Do me the favour of marrying me next week, and I’ll be a happy man.”

Elizabeth retorted, “You can be sure of that, John. We will make sure of that, won’t we, Catherine?”

“You bet, Elizabeth. We are probably both pregnant by now, so he HAS to marry us.”

John gave a happy smile at each of them. “I hope that is true.”

All he got in return was happy but enigmatic smiles. He was unaware that Elizabeth had bought pregnancy testing kits before leaving Earth, and they had started using them.

Catherine’s phone buzzed, and she answered it.

Colonel Kempe’s voice said, “Corporal Malone’s archery equipment will be available in two days. Get her tested the next day. The room at the Governor’s mansion is on track for being ready, and the medical people are primed. Please arrange with The Personalia for her operation three days later.

In case you were wondering, Sergeant, I discovered she was a second cousin of mine, so I am trying to exercise a degree of nepotism, but with good intentions. She does not seem to know of the relationship, and I’d like to keep it that way for now. Is that all right with you?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.