KARA & KAL; THE TRUE STORY - Cover

KARA & KAL; THE TRUE STORY

 

Chapter 13

We finished the rest of our errands and headed home. I asked Dad to stop the car and put it in neutral. Kara and I used a combination of flight and strength and got us the 22 miles’ home, in a flash, slowing down as we approached the house.

Mom and Dad got out, as we landed back on the ground. He said, “That was the most remarkable car trip I can ever remember, Martha!”

“Not since the one that we found these two wonderful kids with,” mom added.

K and I grabbed the purchased goods and we followed our proud parents inside.


Both Mom and Dad gave us hugs over my ‘renegotiation, ‘ saying that we could ask for anything we wanted, within reason, of course.

K and I had been wondering what it was like to fly a little higher and longer than we had in the past, so this was an easy answer.

“Dad, after dark, we’d like to fly over to Abilene and back. It’s 120 miles, one way, as the crow flies?”

This was not what they had in mind, but they snickered, and Dad said, “Wear black and be careful. Even though you can fly, you can still take care of your sister ... you got that?”

“Yes Sir, I do,” I said, as we got to our rooms and came back wearing all black outfits, including socks.

Chuckling, and smiling at us, Mom said, “Don’t take too long, dinner is in forty minutes!”

They followed us out of the front door and watched us take off together. Using my super hearing, Mom had said, “They certainly are growing up so fast. They might not need us any more Jonathan, sooner than we may expect.”

I flew black and said to her, “A boy always needs his mother!” and took off again, catching up with my sister, who was hovering, waiting for me. It took me a month to figure out how to do that.

We got up to about one mile up, as we took a comfortable flight to Abilene, Kansas. We used our telescopic vision, looking down at Emporia and the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. We had studied that in school.

She pointed out how easily we could see everything, even at night. We called that Owl Vision, for lack of a better name.

The TPNP once covered 400,000 square miles of North America. Due to development and plowing under, only 4% of that still exists. The preserve protects a significant amount of that. According to my Geography teacher, Miss Grant, here is where Tallgrass ... makes its last stand!

We took a turn south to see Marian Reservoir, where Dad goes to fish with his buddies for a long weekend, every year. He’s a good fisherman, bringing back his limit ... along with everyone else’s. That gives mom enough fish to stretch out for quite a while. Most of the fish he brings home is either black or white crappie and walleye.

He told me that some of his buddies didn’t like as much fish as we do. Mom’s Friday fish dinner is lip-smacking good. The rest gets frozen. I wonder if Mr. Haney would like to re-sell our fish, for a nice profit for Kent Farms?

From the reservoir, we turned northwest and saw the lights of Abilene Municipal Airport. The city is only a fourth the size of Smallville, but it’s very beautiful at night. We saw a plane taking off, so we flew up even higher, and to the south. The air felt so clean, as we were above the little bit of cloud cover. We turned and saw the airplane head east, probably for Kansas City.

My inner clock told me to head home, so we did. I looked over and saw Kara’s big smile, as we moved towards each other to hold hands. We got home, not even a little tired, more exhilarated than anything else.

Our little farm, from three miles up, was quite the scene. As we descended, we saw Mom, who was smiling, but pointing at her watch.

Darn, we must be late. We landed and apologized. She scooted us inside, telling us to change for dinner. We did and saw the spread of food.

“I assumed that after all of that flying, you two needed some calories, so dinner is ready!” she said, pointing at ham, biscuits, butter, mashed potatoes and more.

“Sorry, I wasn’t here to help,” K said.

“That’s all right, before you came along, your father used to help me fix dinner all the time,” mom responded.

“Jonathan, come to dinner!” she yelled.

He came in with a pocket radio, saying, “There was a blip on radar above Abilene airport. I assume it was you two?”

“We were out of its flight path, staying above the clouds, mostly,” Kara said.

“Radar extends quite far, you two – be more careful. I won’t ground you this time. Martha, I can only imagine the tower at Abilene wondering what was in the sky? They wouldn’t believe it was two kids, even if someone told them,” he said, chuckling as he sat down.

Mom, took off her apron, sat with us saying, “Kara, the prayer please?”

“Bless us, O Lord, this food to our use and us, to thy service and keep us ever mindful of the needs of others. In Jesus’ name – Amen!”


“What’s your flight plan tonight?” dad asked, the following evening, giving out a light chuckle.

“Down to Eureka, Dad – if that’s OK?” I answered. “It’s only about 60 miles away. I promise we’ll be very careful. Their airport has no tower. They practically shut down at dusk.”

“All right,” he said, “You know your bedtimes, be back, or you’ll be grounded again.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.