KARA & KAL; THE TRUE STORY
Chapter 4

 

Getting to my seat that I sat at last year, just as the ‘Ready bell’ rang, best friends Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster ran through the room, saying together, “Sorry we’re late, Miss Reynolds – won’t happen again.” And they sat down, making much too much noise.

Clapping her hands to get our attention, “Class, we have a new student joining our homeroom, Lana Lang. Will one of you boys please stand up and give her your seat?”

About six of us did, this very pretty redhead came over and sat down at my desk, saying, “Thank You, Kal!”

“Thank You Kal,” came from the entire class as a kind of ribbing. I blushed and moved to the back wall of the class, standing. Lana turned, smiled and waved at me. So did Pete, the grinning fool. If he wasn’t just like me, I wouldn’t like him so much as a friend.

I took my notes, standing up; it’s not as hard as it sounds, when you have a pad of paper and a binder to hold it against. I always had at least two pens and a pencil in my shirt pocket.

Besides, since I now have a perfect memory of anything I hear, I am only going through the motions of ‘taking notes’ and going home and typing what I learned directly into our typewriter. I can only type 284 words a minute, because Mom doesn’t want me to burn up the classic Remington she got as a young girl growing up.

Meanwhile, I was about the only guy in there, in a button-down shirt, all the rest of the guys, including Pete, had on T-shirts, some with very loathsome things on them. The worst would be sent to the Principal’s office, some even sent home.

Our daily schedule went on something like this; Homeroom, always first, then we had five, eighty-five-minute classes, each in a different room, with separate teachers. The classes were labeled A, B, C, D and E! Today, we would have, HR (HomeRoom), A, B, C and D. Tomorrow—we had HR, then B, C, D and E. The classes were always shifting, breaking up the monotony of a potentially very boring day. This year my classes were as follows:

A Class was Math
B was Geography
C was English
D was History
E was Physical Education, or PE.

We started at 7:30 am and including a lunch period—we were out exactly at 3 pm. I forgot to ask Pete what his classes were, before we started. In the five-minute passing time, to get from one class to the other, we stopped and compared. We only had three classes together this year.

As I was about to enter my Math class, I felt a touch upon my arm. I turned and it was Lana. “Thank you for being such a gentleman earlier. I’m sorry you had to stand for an hour like that. What’s you’re A Class?” she asked.

“Math, right here,” I answered.

“Wonderful, so is mine. I wonder how many classes we have together?” she said, as we sat down opposite one another to talk. I showed her my schedule and she showed me hers – an exact duplicate. This might just be my best year of school ever!

At the end of the day, we said good-bye and I walked over to where Kara was waiting for me.

“Who was that?” she said, before I even got to her.

“Not so loud, you sound jealous ... are you?” I said, quieter and calmer than she’d been talking.

“Her name is Lana Lang. I told you about her last year. She started after the Christmas Holidays, so I didn’t know if you ever met her before,” I said, not really trying to antagonize her, but her jealousness was cute.

“Maybe I did, but I don’t like her?” she said, so matter-of -fact.

“Why not, because she has curly red hair?”

“NO!”

“Is it because, she’s taller than you?”

NO!”

“Is it because...”

“It’s because, you’re looking at her, instead of me – that’s why,” she said haughtily, although she took me by my hand.

I let her calm down a little, then I leaned it and asked, “Do you want to take the bus, or do you want me to Super Speed us home together?

“Hmmmm,” she said. “How many classes do you and the Wicked Red Witch share?”

Chuckling at that, I answered, “All of them!”

“Awww, Shi...”

“Don’t say it! I won’t Speed you home unless you make the same promise Pete did, ‘No More Cursing, ‘ All right!”

“OK ... I promise, if you’ll Speed me home every day that you can, is that a deal?” she said, giving me a kiss on my hand. That was nice.

Pete yelled, “This is the last bus, aren’t you coming, guys?”

“I guess not, we’ll get home, no problem,” I said.

A nice red Cadillac came up to us—Lana poked her head out from the back seat saying, “Need a ride, Kal?”

“No, he doesn’t?” Kara said to her.

“All right, see you tomorrow, Kal!” the car left—I saw her arm waving.

“See you Tomorrow, Kal,” my little sister said, dripping with sarcasm, with a hefty dose of green fever, better known as jealously.

The place was now deserted, but I didn’t want to start our Speed Walk in front of anybody. We walked to a private area and then positioned her and I got her home quicker than usual. This time it was only five minutes to travel the 22 miles. I must be getting faster, or just learning to use it better.

Once I get to between our bus stop and home, I’m learning to decelerate, without coming to a really fast stop. I unintentionally knocked Kara to the ground, a couple of times, but she’s got a hard head, apparently.

Mom was outside ... cleaning the rugs, I let Kara take my books from me and I asked Mom to let me finish for her. She quickly said, ‘Sure, ‘ and sat down to watch me.

I followed the pattern she has always used, six nice beats in each area, which there are five, going from one side to the other along the way. What took her 12 to 15 minutes, took me two to three.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.