KARA & KAL; THE TRUE STORY
Chapter 3

 

With what I had just heard, I decided to keep this entirely to myself.

I can hear through walls!

Cool ... Man, as quickly as this has gotten kind of fun, it also seems very important to keep all of this to our finite family of four. The ‘super’ hearing, for now, is going to stay, my only secret from my little sister.

I want to keep Kara safe, so I expect we’ll have some secrets from Mom and Dad over the years.

With hearing such a fundamental necessity, it makes me wonder if any other senses could become, super-sized. Hearing, vision, smell, touch and taste?

I am going to tell Kara about this newest power, because, likely as not, she’s going to go through all of this herself, in just less than a year.

Something I haven’t explained yet, we live on a farm, in semi-rural Kansas, 22 miles from downtown Smallville. It’s a town of probably 18,000 people. Just off US 75, halfway between Topeka and Independence, in the great state of Kansas, with the western edge of Missouri 50 miles to the East.

Dad had recently told me, given the mood of the economy, he’d sell the farm, if the right offer came along. He also said to not tell that to my sister.

I’ve been wondering if, when I turned 16, I might get a car of my own, but that seems like forever. Right now, I can drive the tractor. Dad has shown me how to drive his truck, but I honestly haven’t had many opportunities to do more than watch him.

Last year, in school, a new family moved into Smallville’s western suburbs and there’s a redhead, named Lana Lang, who’s quite pretty. Her father is Professor Lang, an instructor at Smallville’s High School.

My sister Kara, a blonde, is pretty, but she’s my sister! I guess if we weren’t brother and sister, as the recently overheard conversation seemed to imply, there would be a possibility of ... something? Outside of Mom, she’s the only other girl whom I’ve kissed.

There was a knock on my door. I turned my head and heard Kara crying. “Come on in, Sis,” I said.

She walked in and was clearing tears from her eyes. She sat on my bed and asked, “How did you know it was me?”

I got up from my desk, closed my door and sat next to her, on my bed. I took her hand, which made her smile and explained my new power to her. She persisted, asking questions, until I had told her about what I heard Mom and Dad talk about.

The almost sobbing Kara that had entered my room, turned into a beaming blue-eyed Kara, now happy again. I held her, giving her a big hug. She seemed not to want to let go, but I whispered, “If you’re found in here, with a closed door, we both would be in biiiiiiig trouble. Go to bed, sweetie, see you in the morning.”

She practically floated out of the room, on the news that we might not be brother and sister. Boy, the ramifications of that possibility seem endless.


Kara helped me hone the powers that I had accrued, to a superfine finish. The running fast power, she called Super-Speed, became something I could harness; using it to get my chores done, long before school would be starting. My power to pick up anything, regardless of its weight, she coined the term, Super-Strength.

We swapped around a few chores, to our parent’s agreement, giving me the ones that my speed could help with. The quality over quantity chores became Kara’s expertise.

She took care of the chickens, getting their eggs and such. She tended the gardens Mom had cultivated.

I milked the cows, making the ‘girls happy, ‘ and cutting the job from ten minutes per, to one minute, generating 20% more output. I also fed our few horses we had, in a matter of seconds.

I had even tried my super-speed, holding on to Kara, finding I could get her anyplace I could go. She said it felt like she was in a windstorm. I think she liked me having my arms around her, it was nice.

One Friday, when Mom and Dad had gone into Smallville to shop, I took K with me to Independence, almost 75 miles away. She times me and my best so far, has been 20 minutes. I didn’t want to go so fast her clothes were ripped.

The first time we did it, we found out a few things. She needed to put her hair in a ponytail, before we started, because her hair had been all messed up. She got cold, because I held her alongside me. After that, I put her in front of me, holding her with one arm, which she seemed to enjoy. As did I.

Our first time together alone in Independence, she went shopping and I tagged along. She was enjoying herself, holding my hand the whole time. She only bought things that Mom and Dad might think; she already had. Smart girl!

She thought that I could use a haircut, so we went into a place. When it was my turn, I sat down and the lady put one of those paper aprons on me. She wet-down and combed my hair.

She turned to Kara and asked, “Anything you want special for your boyfriend?” That made her giggle and she said, “A light trim around the edges. He looks like a ruffian. He hasn’t had a haircut all summer, since his birthday.”

I saw her pick up a pair of cutter’s scissors and turned me around. The sound I heard was strange. “What happened?” I asked.

“Must have been old, they broke the minute I tried to cut your hair. I’ve got another pair, so here we go!”

The same sound, they broke on contact with my hair. Oh, my god, my hair can’t be cut? I got up from the chair, handed back my paper apron and I grabbed Kara.

We walked down the street, quickly. “What’s going on, Kal?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.