KARA & KAL; THE TRUE STORY
Chapter 2

 

With Dad’s instruction, I used my strength to dig a large hole and put the ship inside and covered it with the blanket. Then, I filled in the hole with the dirt and packed it down really hard, using my feet. Dad asked that I took the excess dirt and put it outside the barn, out of view. Kara wanted to help me, but I could do the job with our spade and wheelbarrow taking only eight trips to move it all.

When I was all done, Kara looked at her watch again. She said, “You did all of that, in only three minutes, Kal. I sure do hope that next year, when I turn twelve, the same thing happens to me!”

Mom took Kara back into the house and they had a long talk, that I was not privy to. Even later, when I could, I asked her to tell me what it was all about. Her response was, “I can’t tell you—it was between Mom and me, sorry?”

The smile that I was so used to seemed to be gone, just like that.

We were both told that when school starts in August, we should not say anything about my ‘abilities, ‘ the ship, or our ‘adoption.’ Dad took me aside and talked to me alone.

“Kal, even though you can now do some things that no other boy can, you still need to fit in ... not show off, or use any of your ‘abilities.’”

“Why not, Dad? Gee whiz, I can finally run fast, pick up any of the bullies that beat on me last year or just scare the living crap out of them, by breaking something, in front of them,” I explained.

“First, there is no reason to curse like that ... ever! If I hear it again, you’ll get the belt from me, young man,” he said. “You got that!”

“Yes Sir ... sorry?” I said. I wondered if getting the belt would hurt at all, but I also understood his point of view.

“Second, just because you can run fast, or take vengeance on someone, doesn’t mean you should. You have been a marvelous young man growing up. That, along with being a gentleman to your sister, an excellent student and most of all, a son who I admire as much as any man, living or dead.”

“I also know you’re smart enough to realize that life is ‘leading by example’ to others. Be an example – the best example you can. Other ‘abilities’ may come along; there is no way of telling. Be the best that you can, Kal!”

“Yes Sir, I will,” I said, giving him a hug, a careful hug. We both had tears in our eyes.

As I started out of the room, he stood up and said, “Don’t do any of your sister’s chores for her. We will talk about adding to yours in the next week or so, go have some fun ... you are 12-years-old.”

“How do you know that, Dad?”

“What do you mean,” he replied.

“Well, I assume you determined I was about a year older than Kara, because I was bigger, but is my birthday just some random day that you and Mom picked out of a hat?”

“Kal, it’s the day we found you in the field. You appeared about one-year-old ... Kara was obviously a newborn babe. The day you call your birthday, is the day you both ‘fell out of the sky’ to the two of us. Your mother had been told she couldn’t have children on her own. You were an answer to both of our prayers. Go – git!”

I found Kara and told her all I had been told by Dad, including that I may get even more abilities. We just sat and talked about what might happen over the next couple of years.

“Kal, remember when Dad said that we weren’t from another country? What did he mean by that?” she asked.

“I don’t know ... do you think that we’re aliens?”

“You mean, like from another planet?” she said.

“That’s the only thing I can figure, based on what he had said. I wonder what planet we’re from?” I wondered aloud.

“How can we figure that out?” Kara said.

“I don’t know? I’m not worried about that. Maybe, I’ll get X-ray vision?” I guessed.

“Like the glasses they sell on the back pages of the comic books we aren’t allowed to buy?” she answered.

“Well, that would be cool, I could see behind trees, always finding you, when we played hide and seek,” I speculated.

“If you got heat vision, you could point your eyes at a log and start a fire,” Kara giggled.

“Really, Heat vision! Get real!”

“Maybe,” she said, with a bit of breathlessness in her voice, “You could fly!”

“Now, you’re just making stuff up. Why would I be able to do any of that? Why am I able to do, what I can already do?”

“I don’t know, you are smarter than me,” she said.

“But you are prettier than me,” I said giving her a kiss on the cheek, “If we are aliens, from a distant planet, why are we here? Why did nothing happen until I turned twelve?” I said.

“I don’t know, but I wonder if I’ll get the same ‘powers’ you have?”

“Hey, I like that better than ‘abilities, ‘ I’ve got powers, SUPER-POWERS! So will you, I’m sure,” I said to her.

She walked up to me and gave me a kiss, this time on the lips.

“Why did you just do that?” I asked.

Blushing and walking away, she said, “Because it felt like the thing to do.”

I got up and kissed her and it felt different. Not good – not bad ... just different? We heard Mom’s voice, so we separated, sitting on different bales of hay.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.