Prison
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2016 by MichaelT65

I waited and gazed at the prison gates, the same gates which I saw four years ago from the outside. The gates started to open, and I anticipated to see what my future holds on the other side.

I turned to Mr Williams, the prison Warden, beside me and asked, “How did I destroy everything and the people I loved?”

He turned to look at me with a reassuring stare and said, “Jack, when those doors open everything will be OK. Take my word for it.”

He smiled while watching the doors open with me, waiting in anticipation to see what was going to happen.

Let me start from the beginning. You have to go at least six years back to understand how everything I worked for all those years, I managed to lose overnight.

We formerly lived in Liverpool, in the north of England. But as the company my dad worked for was moving to the South-East of England, my parents decided to get a place in Cheshunt. Situated on the outskirts of North London. We wanted to relocate in London but, as rents were high, my parents chose the suburbs of the big city.

I was sixteen at the time; it did not go down too well with me moving so far away from all my friends in Liverpool. I remember it like it was yesterday the words that my dad exclaimed to my mum. “Thank god we only have one child! Can you imagine if we had three or four and they were as rebellious as this one about moving?”

Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Jack. I am 5’ 8”, brown hair and brown eyes. My hobbies are movies, reading and my main love is athletics. At my previous school, I was in the track and field team. I could say I was hoping to get a scholarship for one of the top universities; that is why I was so upset about coming down to the South-East of England. My teachers knew my training plan and what my dreams were. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying teachers down here aren’t good; it’s just they don’t know me and I don’t know them, as you will see later on.

At least we moved during the summer holidays, which made it easier than having to relocate during the middle of a school year. I suppose I can thank my parents for that, as my dad was living out of a suitcase in hotels until he found something to rent. So we could move during the summer when there is no school.

We relocated in August. I started packing everything with mum, while dad would help when he came home during the weekend. We were all surprised at how much stuff we had. You think you don’t have much until you start opening cupboards and emptying them. During the weekend of the move, Dad and I gathered all the boxes into a corner of the living room, for the removal men to quickly load them up along with the furniture onto their van.

We arrived at the new place on Monday at about lunch time. Mum and I hadn’t seen the place, as dad was viewing properties after work when he was staying down here. I think mum was not very impressed with the house he found.

With both her hands on her hips and with a look that could kill, she said to my dad, “I hope you’ve bought some paint because you’re going to need plenty of it.”

Dad smiled at mum and replied, “Don’t worry love, Jack and I will have the place looking like new by the end of next week. Why do you think I’ve got two weeks off from work?”

All I could say to that was two weeks of painting, with the rest of the summer holidays spent unpacking while putting things in their place. It looked like that was going to be another task, as the previous house we lived in was larger with more cupboard space.

Like my father predicted, it took us a couple of weeks of decorating to make the place look presentable. We were putting the last touches to the final room when mum walked in.

With a smile on her face mum praised us, “Now that is more like it. Jack, let your dad finish off. You can get cleaned up and ready for dinner.”

Having a quick shower, within ten minutes I was in the living room. “What’s for dinner mum?”

“Jack, I noticed a fish and chip shop just down the parade of shops at the end of the road. Here’s some money; could you go to get two cod and chips and whatever you fancy.”

It was late in the evening, as it started to get dark. As I was approaching the parade of shops, I noticed a group of kids gathered. From the centre, a young voice shouted, “Please don’t hurt me. I’ll take it off!”

When I was a few feet from them, I exclaimed, “Everything ok, guys?”

There were six of them; they all turned around at the same time to stare at me. Standing there with a young boy among them not more than ten years old. One of the older ones looked like he was the leader. He was holding the young boy from his sleeve. Slightly taller than me, with blonde hair which he had slightly longer at the front all jelled up. He reminded me of a cartoon character.

I yelled at the blonde lad, “I think you’ve had enough fun for today. You can let him go now, Tin Tin.”

All his friends just chuckled. He looked at them, and they immediately stopped.

I was waiting for some steam to come out of his ears. As his face went red, he shouted, “What did you just call me?”

I thought, “great! That’s all I need, some headbanger on my case. Great start to a new place. What the heck, what’s the worst thing that can happen? Instead of eating fish and chips I end up in intensive care. Let’s push it up a notch.”

“Got a problem with your hearing, Tin Tin? By the way, where’s your little dog? You left him at home?” I smirked at this know fuming teenager in front of me.

More chuckles from his friends. I think I over did it with the last comment. He let go of the kid, made his hands into fists and was starting to charge towards me. All of a sudden there was the sound of a car horn. He stopped on the spot while everyone else looked towards the road, including myself. Going by very slowly was a police car. In it was a bald officer. It looked like Tin Tin but an older version with no hair.

Baldy yelled, “Hey Tony! You want a ride home?”

Tin Tin replied, “OK Uncle!”

He then turned around, and sneered at me, “I’ll deal with you later.”

As the police car drove away, the others looked at me, nodded their heads and walked back to the parade of shops, chatting like nothing just happened.

I looked down as this kid tried to wipe down his clothes from the dirt. He looked up at me and chirped, “Wow, you just called Tony Tin Tin. I can’t wait to tell my friends tomorrow.”

As I was watching the boy and smiling at him, I looked up and saw this beautiful girl come hurrying at me. In a flash, I felt a smack on my cheek.

Then she exploded, “Why don’t you pick on someone your size? You big bully!”

She grabbed the boy by the arm and dragged him into the night, while he was trying to explain to her what happened.

I made my way to the chip shop, got three cod and chips, then made my way back home. As soon as I got in, my mum looked at me with a frown.

She asked, “Why is your cheek red and what is that big smile on your face?”

“I think I’m going to like it down here, mum.”

Come Monday morning. Dad went back to work. Mum and I were busy for a few more days putting the final touches to our new place.

The summer was quite hot this year, so I spent the rest of the summer holidays at home chilling out during the day. In the afternoon I went for my daily 5k run. As we were in the countryside, it wasn’t long till I found a nice jogging path, which I used daily. I kept on thinking if I will ever see the girl that took my breath away, so I can at least explain what happened that evening.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.