The Warrior Caught by Flowers
Chapter 23: His Decision

Copyright© 2016 by Adraine Farris

Eigis took a deep breath. “Thank you for your consideration, but I’ve already reached my decision. I have had plenty of time to think it over on the way up.” Everyone looked up, curious and apprehensive, waiting for his answer, as he faced Lady Death Eyes.

“I want to live. I choose to accept your offer, and discover if I can live without devouring humans.”

Bells cheered, her bells ringing noisily as she attacked him with a delighted hug from behind, making them both almost fall. As Eigis growled and tried to twist free, Lady Death Eyes dipped her head solemnly, acknowledging his decision and hiding a smile at her daughter’s antics.

“Good,” Even Hiryu sighed in relief, although he couldn’t say exactly why, only that he remembered something Bells had said, about how wonderful it was that none of them had to die, demon or human.

“Bells, Hiryu.” Both children looked up, the girl finally letting go of Eigis, who scowled as he attempted to fix his rumpled clothes and hair, now standing between her and Hiryu. “Is there anything you want to add? Or ask about?”

“Can he stay in my room?” Bells asked at once, still excited.

Her mother frowned. “Certainly not. He will have his own room.”

“Actually,” The demon coughed. “I have my own house.”

Lady Death Eyes waved her hand, taking his statement in stride. “He has his own house.”

She added, to him, “Although you will remain in our house until we are certain that you are truly committed to not eating humans.”

Eigis didn’t enjoy it, but he did see her point, and bowed.

“What about Father?” Bells wanted to know.

Lady Death Eyes smiled. “Oh, don’t worry about him. I’m sure he’ll agree.” Both of her children nodded.

“If he bites me again, can I kill him myself?” Hiryu wanted to know, as the demon straightened.

“Yes, you may,” His mother answered.

“And speaking of biting,” She turned to Eigis. “Just so we are perfectly clear about the subject, biting any humans, particularly within this house, is strictly forbidden. As is the drinking of their blood. If you are attacked, which is possible, of course you can defend yourself to the best of your ability. I will be fair. You will be given a chance to explain yourself. But if it is clear that you are guilty, you will be killed. Only the same food as what humans eat is allowed.”

Eigis nodded. “I understand.”

She turned to her children. Hiryu was smiling, glad to see the demon being told off. His mother’s next words made his pleased expression dim a little. “And you two are not to tease or provoke Eigis into biting you. If you do, I will make you sorry.”

“Yes, Mother.” They chorused, looking surprised. Even Hiryu, who had obvious reasons for disliking the demon, hadn’t thought of doing such an underhanded trick.

Feeling better, the demon asked, “You’ve made it clear that biting is out of the question, but what about scratching? My talons are very sharp, and even while playing I might accidently use them.”

“Accidents happen,” Lady Death Eyes answered, with all the experience that comes from raising two warrior children, including one who often got hurt by playful kittens or cats.

Eigis nodded, looking relieved, but he had another question.

“What about Hiryu? If he teases me, may I scratch him?” He ignored the glare the young warrior sent in his direction. “He’s already taken advantage of the fact that I’m in chains and can’t bite him.”

“That’s right, he has,” Bells agreed, glaring at her brother.

“Hiryu!” His mother was ashamed.

“I have not!” He protested, but wilted under her piercing look. “Well alright, I have a little. But he always gets me back, reminding me how delicious I tasted.” He frowned as the demon purposefully smiled and licked his lips.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.