The Warrior Caught by Flowers - Cover

The Warrior Caught by Flowers

Copyright© 2016 by Adraine Farris

Chapter 17: Missing a Finger — Are You Insane? – But We’re All Alive

Hiryu stared as the terrifying monster that had been slowly devouring him all night and had threatened to eat his soul was brought down by a simple motion from his sister. He watched, opened mouthed, unable to believe it, as Eigis sank down until his head rested on her knees, his eyes closed and breathing deeply in sleep. The sword fell out of his limp hand with a clang.

“Whew.” Finally withdrawing her hand, Bells wiped her streaming forehead with one arm, heaving a sigh of relief. “I was afraid that wasn’t going to work and I’d be forced to hurt him. Thank goodness my guess was correct.”

“Wh-what did you do?” Hiryu asked in wonder.

His sister carefully lifted up the sleeping demon and laid him on his back on the floor before she stood up and turned to face Hiryu, hands on her hips. “Baka. Couldn’t you tell from his ears and whiskers that he was a cat? All I did was stroke him under the chin. Most cats love that. And then when he was soothed and relaxed I was able to use my sleeping bell to send him to sleep.” She sniffed, looking down at her brother. “Really, I can’t believe you’re hurt so bad. It’s almost pathetic.”

“Don’t start,” Her brother returned savagely, in no mood to be teased. “If you’d asked him, I was his equal in our fight. I only look this bad because he’s been munching on me all night.” It was impossible to keep the pain out of his voice. He looked down, muttering, “I thought – I really thought I was going to die.”

Bells stiffened, looking ready to make another biting remark, before the rest of his words caught up with her. Then her expression softened and, walking over, she knelt down next to her injured brother, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder, pressing him against her in an awkward hug.

“I’m sorry Hiryu, that was rude of me. You’re in bad shape as it is. I don’t know why I said that. I just – I was so worried about you, all night, and now I’ve finally found you ... Let’s get you fixed up, alright?” She offered an apologetic smile and her purple and green coat, tucking it around him like a blanket.

Already the sweet chime of her healing bell was filling the air. Hiryu relaxed as the vibrant sound reached to his very bones, filling him with fresh life, replacing pain with soothing comfort as cuts and gashes closed up, bruises shrank or disappeared, and wounds stopped bleeding as his body rapidly repaired itself. It was nowhere near as swift as demon healing, and took a lot of energy from both him and Bells to maintain, but it would insure that he would stay alive for the time being.

“I’m sorry I snapped at you too, Bells. I really do deserve getting yelled at for being such an idiot, allowing myself to get caught and eaten by a demon.” Hiryu grimaced, looking ashamed at himself. “Even though it’s been a rough night, that’s no excuse.”

“It’s alright. I was too harsh, what with you being hurt and all. We all make mistakes, and pay for ‘em.” Bells responded breezily. “Unfortunately, I think this might be one of those times where you’ll going to pay for your mistake far beyond anything me or Mother do to you. Not that it was your fault, exactly. Just that you didn’t stop to think the flowers might be dangerous.” Her gaze was bleak as she picked up his left arm, examining it closely.

Hiryu felt a shiver of unease despite the comforting healing song. “What do you mean? You can fix it – can’t you?”

Bells didn’t answer at first, her attention focused on his hand, bringing it up to almost an inch from her face. Her right hand gently probed the polished chewed bones and mangled bits of muscle, sinews and flesh that remained. Then she looked back at Eigis briefly.

“He – did this to you?” The look on her face was a combination of disgust and fascination. But her voice trembled with rage.

“Yes. A few minutes ago.”

“What a monster.” Bells whispered, more to herself than Hiryu.

Sudden, white hot rage filled her. The whole extent of what had been done to Hiryu struck her. She saw red. Her brother was hurt, so badly. He had almost been killed, and he might never regain use of his left hand again. She wanted to go over to the sleeping demon, rip all the skin and muscle off his hand, hear him scream in pain. Maybe even make a necklace from his talons, to show other demons what would happen if they tried to mess with her...

Bells took several deep, calming breaths, shaking, and fought to control herself. No. She thought firmly. No. This is not right. Part of her cried out for justice and repayment for the pain and suffering the demon had caused her brother. But another part knew, without a doubt, that it was not her place to decide or even carry out that judgment.

Luckily, something about Hiryu’s mangled hand distracted her.

Finding the hole of his missing finger, she gasped.

“He bit off your third finger?! Hiryu, do you realize what this means?” She looked up, her eyes round with horror. She sounded as if it meant the end of the world.

Her brother failed to understand. “No, what?”

She threw him a dirty look that clearly said, “Boys are so stupid.” Shaking his hand for emphasis, she exclaimed, “This is your ring finger! What are you going to do when you get married? You won’t have a finger to put the ring on! Maybe you won’t be able to get married! Mother and Father are going to devastated! And so is Aunt Shiv!”

“Oww, don’t shake my arm like that, it hurts enough already,” Hiryu drew his hand away, scowling. “That’s what concerns you? Marriage?” He sighed and looked at the ceiling as if seeking help from the oddness of women, particularly younger sisters. “Bells, the ring is just a symbol. I could wear it on my right hand instead, or even around my neck. Good grief, the way you were carrying on, I thought I’d never be able to use my hand again.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.