The Warrior Caught by Flowers - Cover

The Warrior Caught by Flowers

Copyright© 2016 by Adraine Farris

Chapter 2: Goblin's Death

Hiryu and Bells lived in a cottage with their parents near a small village in some hills below a peaceful river. Demons and other troublesome beings did not dare come within a hundred miles of the place. Eigis only did because he hadn’t known (and lucky for him) their parents decided to send Hiryu after him as a test, rather than coming themselves. Or rather their mother did – their father was off on a quest.

Eigis was close enough that Hiryu promised to be back by the next day. Fortunately, his mother misheard and thought he had said by breakfast the next day. When he didn’t show, Bells was sent after him.

She went willingly enough; sure she’d meet him along the way, amusing herself with how hilarious it would be if he didn’t, and she had to rescue him. She would make sure he would never forget it.

Bells was only two years younger and looked a lot like her brother, with the same short, dark brown hair except her’s was bound in a braid coiled up at the back of her neck and protected by her helmet and neck guard (long hair got pulled in a fight), the same round olive face, long nose and wide spaced eyes, although her’s were grey-green rather than leaf green.

Her armor, like her brother’s, covered all her vital spots, worn as protection rather than decoration, made from a special metal that felt light when worn but was hard enough to withstand all but the hardest demon claws and teeth. Over this she wore a green and purple coat that was both fire and water resistant.

There was a katana and a dagger attached to her waist, but Bells true weapons were, as her name suggested, bells. These hung in a loose loop attached to her left wrist by a chain. All the bells were of different shapes, sizes and metals (one was made of diamond). They all did different things, depending on how they were rung. Their power was strongest if she touched them, but Bells could also make them ring with her voice.

Bells walked fast, and at first she made good time. When she stopped for a late lunch, she was halfway to her destination and still there was no sign of her brother. This was slightly worrying, but Bells didn’t allow this to discourage her.

Popping her last rice ball into her mouth, she slammed her fist against her other open palm, a devilish grin on her face.

“Heh, heh, heh. Looks like I’ve got to rescue him after all.” But then her grin faded and she bit her lip, her gaze distant as she imagined all the reasons why her brother hadn’t shown up yet. Maybe the demon killed him. Maybe he won, but was too hurt to go back home. Maybe he won but got attacked by another demon on the way back. Maybe... “I hope you’re okay, Hiryu. And if you’re not, I’m coming.” She quickly cleaned up the remains of lunch and left.

She walked faster in the afternoon, as the terrain turned hilly and rough. At every bend or steep hill, Bells kept expecting to see her brother, either in the distance or plopped down on the side of the road for a rest. Every time she was disappointed, and she grew steadily more and more worried. Even reminding herself that Hiryu was an excellent warrior, and he’d killed plenty of demons on his own didn’t help. Even one demon could be nasty, and even the most experienced of demon hunters, like their mother and father, rarely came back from hunting without at least one serious injury. That was partly why their mother had sent her after him. Fighting demons alone was dangerous.

Bells sighed, doing her best to banish the worries from her mind. Worrying wouldn’t do anything except distract her, and she had to keep alert in case something tried to attack her. If Hiryu was hurt, she would help him when she found him, that was it. But still, she wondered. What had happened to her brother?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.