Techno Cultivator - Cover

Techno Cultivator

Copyright© 2016 by Noddy

Chapter 13: Death Row

-The Lab-

When James awoke he dazedly looked at his surroundings. When he realised he was laying half naked on Skay’s questionable operating table he was instantly worried. As he made to climb up he quickly decided this was a bad idea as the pain in his chest and ribs flared.

With a soft grunt he laid himself back down and quietly contemplated on his recent encounter. He came to realise two things. Firstly he needed power to live in this world. The fact that cultivators could just kill anyone they wanted made that all the more apparent.

Although that was a stretch of the truth it wasn’t a wrong assumption. If you didn’t have a powerful backer and weren’t strong enough to protect yourself, anyone with a stronger backing and greater strength could end your life when they pleased. Who was going to question someone that could kill you with a stern look? That’s the problem with power.

Second thing he realised was that he needed to be more careful. He nearly lost his black-iron vein because he wasn’t careful enough. Although it’s hard to know when someone with such a higher level of power is tailing you, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Looking back he knew something was wrong long before they got to the iron deposit, but he wasn’t careful enough to explore the sensation in his excitement to gain riches.

As he lay there watching the ceiling of the lab he thought a great deal about what happened. Then his eyes widened slightly at what he’d done. He’d just killed man with his own hands. It was in the heat of the moment but he still just snuffed out the life of a walking talking living being. To make his emotions even more confused he was sure he’d do it again, even if his fur hadn’t been stroked backwards by Calso. At this thought he rolled to the side as his guts churned and he spew out a mouthful of vomit. His guts churned and his skin felt cold but he couldn’t deny that thought.

That’s right. In his mind he was confident, if the situation was different he’d most likely kill that man in cold blood. Or any man for that matter. Not because he felt nothing while taking a life, he felt a great many conflicting emotions from the act, but he knew he’d do it again in sound mind because Calso was a threat to his life and well-being.

He started to wonder why he’d never had such deep emotional conflict to Harvy’s situation. After all he’d essentially killed him at some point. He had to admit that Harvy’s situation was slightly different and he felt less responsibility because it was the Old Madman who had degraded Harvy’s mind to such a state. Although he perhaps could have stepped in to help Harvy, he felt the damage was already done, he also couldn’t refuse his curiosity.

After a good while James heard the sounds of voices as Skay and Jessy walked into the lab arguing loudly. “Now look here lass. I don’t care what your opinion is. Harvy’s my lab assistant. No! My creation! I don’t care if its God himself come down from on high. If some little shit thinks he can destroy my creation I’ll fucking crush’em! I warned you to leave this matter alone ‘till the boy awoke but you had to go play with the ants nest and they’re not just crawling up your tight little ass now, they’re fucking crawling up mine!”

Skay’s enraged voice echoed around the lab as he strolled towards James. Jessy wasn’t going to take that tongue lashing lying down and began to retort.

“But it’s wrong you perverse old fuck! How is it that they think they can just send someone to kidnap a person or kill whoever just on a whim. That Xanzu motherfucker has another thing coming if he thinks I’ll just be his little tart. And its James’ fault! He shouldn’t have murdered...”

“Shut your mouth lass! You think this world is ours? You think they have police and lawyers and courts? This is a world based on power! James did the right thing killing that man. Hell I would have killed that motherfucker if I was in his shoes! In this world there’s only the strong and the weak. If you think things aren’t fair then go become the strong and protect the weak. This is a world of the fist girl! Do you understand? The courts they have are kangaroo courts and might makes right!”

Once he finished he turned around to see James staring at them while they argued. “Haha! Boy you’re finally awake! That’s good. Your braindead lass here has gone and stirred up a hornets nest by whining to an Elder and now that fucking lad of Hao’s is pushing to lynch my lab assistant because he had to take the wrap for killing that piece of shit in the forest!”

James had basically figured out what happened from their arguments and was already trying to formulate a plan.

He slowly pushed himself up to a sitting position, despite the pain in his chest. As he did his breathing coarsened. He coughed out a small mouth full of blood but just wiped it away with the sleeve of his robe.

Skay helped him sit up and looked rather worried when James spit up a mouthful of blood. The whole reason he made James their guild leader was because he was terrible with this inner politics crap in the clan and more accurately just terrible with people in general having the twisted mind he did he couldn’t quite think like other people did. These few days he and James had worked together and he found a reliable man who could keep up with him and most important he could see a kindred spirit in James. A man after his own heart, who had the lack of a moral compass and a fast mind.

If this was their past world he’d want to take James as a protégé, but in this world where everything was different, he considered him an equal in their field of research. After all, a great deal of their present cultivation theories were conceived by James.

James saw Skay’s concerned look and chuckled dryly. “Old Madman, stop your worrying. I ain’t dead yet. Fill me in on what’s happened.”

-1 Hour Earlier-

As you’ve surely guessed by now, the whole shitstorm was stirred up by Jessy on their return from the forest. The moment the incredibly damaged and beaten Harvy had placed James down in Skay’s lab Jessy had run off to the Elders and started throwing accusations around about the Heads own son trying to kill them or kidnap them, she also naturally mentioned how his lackey Calso had been killed by them in the forest in their self-defence.

Once this began, Hao as the Clan Head, called the 4 Elders to the main hall to discuss what should be done. On Hao’s right sat the starry eyes Elder, Song Gau. He was actually Hao’s uncle and the oldest living relative of the main blood line, which was why everyone just called him Elder Gau. He was also the First Elder of the Hall of Forging and was considered a second grade forge master.

On his right sat another Elder in purple robes embroidered with the anvil and hammer. He was the youngest of the Elders, short ginger-brown hair and had a tall stocky build. Originally he married into the clan when he fell in love with the daughter of the previous Hall of Forging First Elder but was later accepted by the clansmen for his talent in forging weapons and artefacts that out-stripped even the previous First Elder, not to mention Song. He was called Elder Anvil and was considered a first grade forge master, only a step away from being a grand master.

On Hao’s left was another old, rough looking man whose skin looked like leather and had a great scar marring his face that left one of his eyes blind and void of colour, much the same as his long grey hair. He was Elder Jeng and was the son of an Elder two generations prior.

His battle power is the highest of the four Elders and he is considered the foremost expert and talent the clan has ever had in regards to cultivation and martial techniques. He was long since destined to step into the seat of First Elder of the Sword Hall and took the opportunity the moment the previous First left the clan to travel and study cultivation in another empire.

The last Elder was actually a women and she looked quite young, in her early 30’s at the worst. That of course wasn’t the case, it was just that once you started cultivating, your subconscious would start to slightly alter your looks. James for example found after the 5th day here he’d already slimmed down.

The changes generally weren’t dramatic like changing your bone structure significantly or anything of the like, but more cosmetic in nature as your subconscious mimicked how you viewed yourself to alter your body. This was reflected well in Harvy, whose self image was as permanently disfigured as his dead looking body.

This lady elder wore purple robes with the sword embroidery and was Elder Grace. No one could remember her real name because she married into the clan much the same as Elder Anvil and chose the name Grace for herself. Although when she married into the clan she was just a mortal her aptitude for cultivation was second only to Elder Jeng which is how she eventually got to sit with these old men as an Elder of the Clan.

The moment Xanzu was called into the main hall by the four Gau Elders and Hao, Jessy began throwing her accusations at him.

“Xanzu you piece of shit you think it’s acceptable to just send out your lackeys to fucking kill and kidnap?” Jessy standing in front of the main table couldn’t wait to see Xanzu get punished.

Xanzu of course could already guess what had happened. ‘That stupid cowardly moron. How could he have failed to kill these pathetic bugs? Now I’ve got to clean up his mess!’ With this thought Xanzu put on a confused and wronged expression.

“Junior Sister Jessy, I’m afraid I don’t know what it is you’re talking about. These are serious charges, but whatever is going on I can assure you I’m innocent. I know the clan is quite excited at you three steppers cultivation progress because you’ve all discovered high affinities or rare elements, being a son of the head family I would naturally keep your safeties and good will at the top of my priorities.” He said most of this just for his father and Elders.

He’d been at this a long time and could naturally read the room. He thought it was a bit too much trouble for the Elders to be so upset over the life or death of some filthy mortals but he knew that for the moment it would be better to avoid any troublesome matters, like just outright publicly killing them.

Of course that wouldn’t stop Xanzu, and the moment he found a chance he’d silently deal with them.

With that in mind, once he heard the basic outline of the charges he smiled grimly inside. But on the outside put on a placating, upset expression. “Junior sister, first I should apologise to you. You are right, in some way I am to blame for today’s troubles. A few days ago Brother Calso came to me in the sword hall and told me he’d grown eyes for you. He has long since been a good brother of mine and I warned him back then not to make trouble with you three steppers but to still try his best to woo you. It appears he didn’t take my advice to heart and had attacked you using my name. I’m surprised his madness failed because he’s quite a bit stronger than all of you, but I’m certainly glad you all survived.”

At this point in his one man act he turned to the Elders. Starting in a softer voice he spoke until his voice raged through the hall. “But Elders, I’m afraid I can’t let this go now! Calso was a good friend and I saw him as a brother. He may have been somewhat misguided, but from the story just now they already had him weakened and unable to fight back. There was no need to kill him and I wish to accuse the Stepper boy with murdering a clan disciple in cold blood! I demand justice for my dear friend and brother!”

Xanzu thought he was quite clever in his schemes. He knew they couldn’t kill the old man and the girl because of their rare elements and he didn’t particularly care about some frail old man on his last legs. But now was a good chance to kill that pathetic weakling that hid behind the Elder and his Father. After all, as far as he knew James only has a very high affinity to wind and no other rare talent.

The Elders all looked at each other. Surprisingly it was the starry eyes Elder Gau who spoke first. “I agree. We can’t condone these sorts of actions in the clan. It’s one thing for Calso to have gone out on his own and found trouble but he’s still a member of our clan and I’m sure he didn’t truly intend to kill anyone. If we let this sort of action go unpunished and gossip slipped out of the clan other families in the city will think we have a weak hand and start crawling all over us in an attempt to contend for power of the City. We must make an example of the boy!”

Elder Gau was a shrewd old fox and although he disliked this grandnephew he knew if they didn’t placate him now he’d surely raise a fuss later. He also thought James to be a little too astute and he had difficulty seeing through him. If he allowed someone like that to stay in the clan there would surely be no end of trouble. With these thoughts he then spoke out. “I move the Stepper boy be executed immediately.”

Soon the First Elder of the Sword Hall spoke out as well. He didn’t particularly care about these matters but Xanzu was his star pupil. Although he had short comings in attitude he’d well and truly been brainwashed by Elder Jeng and if he could get him onto the Head seat later, he would essentially be his puppet to control the clan. “I agree. We can’t let such a matter slide. If this boy can just kill our disciples in cold blood he will surely only kill again and become a scourge on our family.”

The second Elder of the sword hall, Elder Grace, spoke out in disagreement. “Older brother Jeng older brother Song. Since when have we Elders stepped into the matters of the junior generation? Clan members die all the time in battles for resources or blood feuds and we Elders have rarely stepped in before. Although the steppers are still only guests they have essentially already become clan members. All they need is to swear their oath. I disagree. I believe we should let these juniors sort there problems out themselves even if they kill each other.”

Elder Anvil also spoke out on James behalf. Since the moment he’d heard about their mad scientist laboratory he’d been thrilled. His only true love after his wife’s death was his craft and for an excuse to peer into a lab that could create lightning without some spirit artefact he was more than happy to step in on the boys behalf. Anvil had only been biding his time before trying to rope the old man and the boy into the Hall of Forging. “From what the servants have told me the boy is essentially treated as the leader of their group and was considered by the old man as an equal in their research. This could only mean that the boy was no less resourceful and knowledgeable then the old man. I suggest we initiate the boy into my Hall of Forging and I will mentor him onto the right path.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.