Gateway - What Lies Beyond - Cover

Gateway - What Lies Beyond

Copyright© 2016 by The Blind Man

Chapter 65

Action/Adventure Sex Story: Chapter 65 - Jacob Ryerson is part of a scientific team that is going to step back through time for the very first time in an attempt to study early man. Jacob is a military man and he knows that no plan ever goes the way people intend it to once that plan is implement. Naturally nobody listens to the ex-Special Forces Staff Sergeant and just as naturally everything goes to shit. Thankfully Jacob is along for the ride to help clean up the mess.

Caution: This Action/Adventure Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Consensual   Fiction   Science Fiction   Far Past   Time Travel   Exhibitionism   Violence  

The riders were indeed Horse People. They rode in at a gallop, kicking up grass and dirt as they did, and they only reined in their mounts at the last moment, when their lead rider spotted me waving them down.

“Greetings, riders!” I called out to the men as they brought their horses to a halt a few feet away from me, falling back on my rusty knowledge of their language. “What brings the Horse People off the great plateau into this valley? Are you hunting, or are you looking for someone?”

My question, and I suspect the fact that I spoke the man’s language, took the leader of the group by surprise. He gaped at me for a moment or two, not knowing what to say to me. His mouth actually hung open for a brief time; then, as colour flushed his cheeks, it snapped shut. As it did close, a scowl formed on the man’s face and he glared at me angrily.

“Who are you to ask such questions of me?” the hunter snapped back at me, thrusting his spear in my direction, as he spoke as if to punctuate his words. “We ride where we want and no man challenges us. Who are you and where did you steal these horses? Speak or we will kill you.”

The man’s curtness didn’t take me by surprise. I’d actually expected it, given what had happened the last time I’d encountered the Horse People. Even so, I was surprised by the fact that the man didn’t seem to recognize me. It gave me pause to think, wondering if I should identify myself to the man or not. As I contemplated my choice, I took a step away from the man, dropping my hand to my service pistol as I did. It was then that Gogra made his return. He spoke even before I could.

“Silence, Nabok,” Gogra shouted sternly at the other man, his voice filled with disdain, “and show respect to your betters.”

The leader of the riders whirled about on hearing Gogra address him. Gogra’s appearance had come as a surprise. The hunter’s attention had been on me and me alone, and he hadn’t spotted Gogra’s arrival and neither had his companions. They had all been taken by surprise. It certainly left them feeling embarrassed; which, to me, was something I didn’t mind.

Nabok flushed brightly in response to the rebuke that Gogra had flung at him. He shifted awkwardly in his saddle and then glared with hostility in his eye at Gogra. He said nothing for a moment, but it was clear that he wasn’t happy being spoken to in such a manner. It was also obvious that the hunter was trying to place Gogra, since the older man had called him by name. Gogra did not help the hunter out there. Instead, he simply held the hunters gaze with his own, until the hunter glanced away.

Nabok was a relatively young man, at least in comparison to me and my senior people; perhaps twenty years old at the most. He was dressed in a loose fitting, unadorned tunic, breeches, and moccasins. The clothing looked to be made of horsehide that had been worked and tanned with some skill. He had a hunting lance in his free hand, and two more could be seen strapped across his back in some sort of harness-contraption. His face was thin and weathered, and his eyes were filled with anger. His companions were all younger then him; in their middle to late teens, and they were similarly armed, although one of the young man carried a bow and quiver with him, in addition to the hunting lances.

Gogra on the other hand was dressed like most of my people; attired in uptime combat clothing, and wearing body armour and webbing. He had returned with his carbine slung over his shoulder, and was carrying my weapon at the ready. Only his aged visage and his flowing grey-black hair suggested that he wasn’t an uptimer, but instead a local. It wasn’t that much of a wonder that it took Nabok time to place the man.

“Gogra? Is that you?” Nabok exclaimed in astonishment, as he suddenly realized who was addressing him. As he spoke his eyes grew wide with disbelief. “By the Earth Mother, we thought you dead!”

“Yes, Nabok, it’s me; and as you can clearly see, I am not dead,” Gogra declared in a matter of fact manner, before once again taking on a curt tone as he continued to speak to the younger man. “Now answer this man’s question. What are you doing here?”

Nabok scowled at the tone that Gogra used when he told the man to answer the question. He shot a dirty look in my direction, but said nothing. Instead the man glanced about the area that stood in front of the enclosure, for once taking in the fact that neither Gogra nor I was alone. He quickly spotted Zahta who was standing off to one side with her carbine held at the ready. When he did notice her, Nabok’s face darkened once again with a scowl.

“No,” Nabok barked back at Gogra once he found his voice again, literally spitting at the older man as he shouted out the word. “I do not answer to an old man or to any man who hunts with women. You will answer me or I will kill you.”

That was the second time Nabok had threatened my companions and me, and I certainly didn’t like it. By that point in the conversation I was ready to deal with the man; permanently if necessary. I had stepped away from the horses and from the enclosure. I moved out into the open towards the rushing water of the nearby river. I had placed distance between Nabok and me, and I had placed my hand on my service pistol, slowly drawing it from my holster as I moved. I knew that there was a good chance that I would need it soon. As I did, I decided that now would be a good time to push the man on the point, and to let him know bluntly what I thought of his threats.

“Silence, boy, and show respect to one of my advisors,” I snapped at the younger man, drawing his attention back onto me. “I am Jake of the Bear Tribe. No boy speaks to my people as you have, threatens them with violence, without having to deal with me. I have left many men lying upon the ground to feed the scavengers for less, and I have taken their mates to my furs. Have you? Now drop your weapon and apologize.”

The sharpness of my tone and the aggressiveness of my stance stunned Nabok into silence for a moment, but regrettably, only for a moment. Then whatever restraint the younger man had, snapped. His face turned red with rage and his eyes bugged out in response to what I had said to him. He then did exactly as I’d expected him to do. He lost his temper.

“Die dog!” Nabok screamed furiously as he hefted his hunting lance up and above his head in an attempt to throw it at me. He didn’t stand a chance.

I stepped to one side, moving to the off side of his mount, placing the man at a disadvantage that would have forced him to turn his mount to throw his lance, if he’d lived that long, which he didn’t. As I moved I brought my service pistol up to fire. To my surprise I never got the shot off. Instead four other weapons spoke, one right after the other, and their rounds all hit home. Nabok was dead before I even knew it.

The gunfire startled the other riders, as did the fact that Nabok went flying from his saddle. It actually took them a few seconds to recover. I used that time to glance about and to assess what had just happened. It didn’t take me long, and what I learned put a smile upon my face.

Gogra had fired first, making use of my carbine. His shot had taken the man in the chest. That shot was quickly followed by Zahta’s, then Olla’s, and finally, Carmen’s. Olla’s shot was the most spectacular of the four, as it took the top of Nabok’s head off.

“Now! Which one of you idiots want to die next?” I cried out before any of the other hunters had a chance to react, “Is there one amongst you who is smart enough to show respect when it is due? Speak up, or join Nabok lying on the ground.”

That got the other hunters’ attention. The men glanced frantically about, as if uncertain what to do next, taking in the array of strange, but obviously deadly weapons pointed at them, and then at Nabok’s corpse. A couple actually looked like they were about to bolt. Finally, one of them showed a hint of intelligence, and he spoke up.

“Wait,” the hunter cried out, fear clearly audible in his voice as he said the word. “We mean you no offence. Do not kill us.”

Gogra lowered his weapon slowly, though he kept it at the ready. As he did, Gogra flicked a quick look at me, silently seeking my approval to take care of the band of riders. In turn, I nodded my head slightly, giving him my approval. It was all he needed to press on.

“So, Tikál, you amongst the rest have a voice that works,” Gogra spat at the young hunter, his voice filled with scorn. “That is good; however, the question has not been answered yet, and my chief grows weary waiting for a reply. Why are you in this valley? Speak now or prepare to die.”

“Please, Gogra, do not kill us,” Tikál pleaded with a trembling voice, glancing from me to the older man as he replied. “I will speak and answer your question. Our band was hunting near the big river when Nabok spotted sign that a small herd of horses had travelled into this valley. Our tribe has suffered greatly this last winter, and Nabok thought to capture them, and take back to our encampment so that the people there would have fresh meat. That is all we intended, and truthfully we were surprised to find you here.”

“Obviously,” Gogra pointed out brusquely to the young man. “You were so surprised that your hunt leader showed disrespect to a tribal leader who is also a shaman. Not only that, but you insulted me, one who once sat at Agar’s side and advised him. Perhaps you can explain that to me, or should I treat you as we have treated Nabok?”

“No, Gogra, don’t!” the young hunter pleaded even more frantically. “That was Nabok, not us. You remember Nabok. He was always a hothead as a boy. His father warned him to curb his tongue as did Chief Agar and you. I remember that. Please do not punish us for Nabok’s stupidity.”

“We won’t,” I decided to interject into the conversation, feeling that the young hunter had sweated enough, “so long as you behave.”

“We will behave,” Tikál promised fervently, without hesitation or glancing at the men with him, and not taking in the growing concern upon their faces. “We wish no trouble with you Jake of the Bear Tribe. We know of you. You were a friend of Chief Agar, and greatly respected by him. We will not threaten you or your people again.”

I grunted in response to the man’s declaration and promise, and then I spoke to Gogra, switching to our communal tongue so that Tikál and the other riders wouldn’t understand us. I suggested offering the man a cup of tea and the hospitality of our hearth, in exchange for the opportunity of pumping him for information. Gogra agreed, although he advised caution, noting that not all the riders were happy with Tikál and his promises.

My invitation proved to be a flop from the moment I made it. I insisted that the hunters leave their weapons with their horses. That shouldn’t have been a problem, since it was a common courtesy practiced by most tribes, including the Horse People, however for whatever reason; the other hunters with Tikál took offence.

“Very well,” I snarled in an exasperated voice, scowling at the other riders as I spoke. “You may turn your mounts around and leave. I will not stop you, but I will warn you. Return here again in such a manner, and I will kill you all! Now go!”

The six other riders did as I told them. Tikál had already dismounted his horse and was standing there looking at his former companions with utter disbelief etched upon his face. It was clear that he couldn’t believe what was happening.

“You may leave as well, Tikál, if that is your wish,” I said to the young hunter, startling him by addressing him so unexpectedly. My voice was firm, but it didn’t hold the same scorn that it had a few moments ago when I had spoken to the other men. “I will not take offence and you may leave in peace with no threat set above your head.”

The young hunter looked at me, and then he glanced off towards his former companions, who were now galloping back the way that they had come. He sighed openly as he watched them go.

“They will ride to the encampment to report to Chief Mondo,” Tikál muttered in a strained voice. “The chief will be angry. He favoured Nabok as one of his best hunters, and treated him with favour. Chief Mondo will be angry that you killed Nabok, and he will be angry that you are here; both of you, to be precise. He has vented greatly over the long winter that he hates both of you, and he wishes you dead. You can expect trouble in the next day or two, especially if you ride out onto the great plateau. Chief Mondo will wish revenge.”

I looked over to Gogra in response to hearing the young man’s words. He sighed openly in response and then he nodded his head towards Tikál, directing me to deal with the young man.

“What do you want, Tikál?” I asked pointedly, keeping my voice firm but courteously as well. “You may stay here if you wish, or ride off after the others, if you believe that is for the best. We will not prevent you from leaving.”

“It is already too late for me to follow after the other riders,” Tikál admitted in a pained voice. “They will report that I tried to treat with you, and that I cowered in fear before your magic weapons, rather than revenge Nabok and the honour of our tribe. It will not matter a bit that they did not speak up once while I spoke to you. All that will matter is that Chief Mondo will believe them. He will brand me traitor, as he has branded others in the tribe over the last months, and he will kill me when he sees me. My only regret is that my mate and child will die as well.”

“Why will your mate and child die as well?” Gogra enquired speaking up quickly and with keen interest in his voice, eyeing me as he addressed the younger man. “Will they not go and live with the widows and orphans at the fringe of the tribe?”

“There are no more widows and orphans,” Tikál declared with a heavy sigh. “The winter was harsh this year and many horses died. Without meat to share with the women and children who lived at the fringe of the tribe, Mondo turned them out, sending them into the cold to die. The same will now happen to Nabok’s mate and to mine. Mondo will not show them any mercy.”

Hearing this didn’t help my mood much. I looked at Gogra for a second. The man was frowning as well. Then I glanced over to where Tikál was still standing.

“We need to talk, Tikál,” I told the young hunter. “Let us go and sit at my hearth so that we can rest and speak as friends.”

Tikál accepted. With that Gogra indicated that the young hunter should follow him. Willingly he did, stepping through the gap in the ruined wall of the enclosure. I watched him go and then I dropped in behind him, holstering my pistol as I went. That was when Dunbar suddenly showed up.

The man dropped from the lip of the overhang, coming down like a giant cat, landing directly in front of Gogra and Tikál, taking them both by surprise. As he stood up, the big man pointed his weapon at Tikál.

“Is everything okay, here?” Dunbar asked sharply, addressing us in the common tongue. “We heard shots, and no one has answered the radio.”

Tikál almost shit himself in response to Dunbar’s sudden appearance. The young hunter, who looked to be barely seventeen, staggered backwards in surprise and grabbed his knife in response to the big man appearing out of nowhere. Dunbar glared at the young man as he fumbled with grabbing his blade, levelling his carbine at him as he did. Gogra quickly interceded, even though he had been surprised as well.

“Calm yourself, Tikál,” the older man said reassuringly to the young man, placing a hand on his knife arm as Tikál started to pull his blade out of its sheath. “This man is a leader in the Bear Tribe, and is a great warrior. You do not want to anger him. Come, we will step around him and go to the fire, and wait. Jake will join us when he is done with him.”

Tikál nodded in agreement, once he’d recovered from the surprise and did as Gogra suggested. I stood and watched the older man escort the young hunter around Dunbar and over to the fire. By now Olla was there as well and had a pot of water heating, in preparation of making tea.

“Who the heck is that and what the hell is going on?” Dunbar asked once I stepped over to speak to him. “I’ve been calling on the radio ever since I heard the shots.”

I apologized. I also asked him to wait a moment while I went and grabbed the man-pack. Olla had left it by the entrance to the central cave when she’d gone up on the overhang to have a look around, and she hadn’t picked it up again, what with the excitement and the fact that she’d sort of volunteered to make tea for our guest.

It didn’t take much to realize that Burton had been trying to reach me as well. I quickly answered his hail, and after taking some abuse from him over shabby radio discipline, I reassured him we were all right. I then let him know what had happened, and what was going on right then and there. Of course, Dunbar listened in to the whole conversation, getting what he wanted to know at the same time, and then he relayed the information to his people, telling them that everything was fine.

It wasn’t fine though, and I knew it. Once I’d finished speaking to Burton, I suggested to Dunbar that he take his patrol back down the valley to the mouth of it, to keep an eye out for anyone deciding to drop in on us, without an invitation. He said he would.

I handed the radio to Olla once Dunbar was gone. She apologized for forgetting about it, but I waved her apology off. Sometimes shit happens, and you have to live with it. I just told her to take the pack up onto the overhang and keep an ear open just in case either team had something to report. She smiled with relief and promised me she would. I let her go.

Gogra and Tikál were chatting in low voices as I came over and sat down beside them. I poured myself a cup of tea, and then apologized for the interruption. That took the young man by surprise. I smiled at that, and then, knowing I had the young fellow at a disadvantage, I started interrogating him, although I did it in a very gentle manner.

Tikál turned out to be a fount of information. I don’t know if it was simply because he’d been abandoned by people who he’d considered friends, or if it was something deeper, such as a dislike of Mondo and the way he ruled the Horse People, but Tikál was willing to tell us everything. The most shocking news was how small the Horse People were in number. As Tikál had said, the winter had been harsh on the tribe and many had died, including a number of hunters. In total, the tribe was down to twenty hunters; not including Nabok who was now dead, and Tikál, who was as good as dead to the tribe as Nabok was. It also didn’t include Mondo who was now frail and sickly, and who many believed would die very soon. Of course it wasn’t hard to do the math given the number of hunters. Each man had a mate and probably a child, if not two. That put the population of the tribe at sixty to seventy members. To that number Tikál added eight animal handlers and their families. That brought up the population of the tribe to about a hundred people. Since Mondo had driven out all the widows and children during the winter, that was it. His words left me looking at him in dismay.

“What the hell has Mondo been doing?” I asked voicing my disbelief.

“He hasn’t been doing much,” Tikál admitted with a tired sigh. “He reversed everything that Agar had done, except for riding the horses. He got rid of all the cattle that we’d been tending, and he drove out anyone who’d been working in the task, either as a handler or making something with the milk from the cows. Then he drove out the widows and the orphans. He swore that with fewer mouths to feed we would survive. We are, but only just.”

Gogra just shook his head in disgust. I couldn’t blame him for doing it. Under Agar, the Horse People had been growing, both in population and in the ability to not only survive, but to prosper. It had been something that Gogra had participated in and something that he’d taken pride in. Now he was learning that what Agar had accomplished had been for naught. It was very disappointing.

“Well,” I muttered in response when Tikál was done, “you needn’t worry about your mate and child. Once we are done here, we’ll mount up and fetch her, as well as Nabok’s mate. He might have been an idiot, but his mate needn’t pay for his stupid actions. We’ll get them both and whoever else wants to leave the tribe, and then we’ll take them back to our tribe. Gogra has found a home, here, and you can as well.”

My offer took the young man by surprise. He looked at me wide-eyed in wonder for a moment or two, and then he glanced over to Gogra, silently asking him to tell him that he was hearing true. The old man simply grinned at him, smiling reassuringly, and nodding his head.

“There are a few things you will need to know about our tribe,” I announced a second later, “although I can assure you that nothing I will tell you is bad. It is just that our customs are different. The truth is, our tribe is made up of many peoples, some of whom have seen their homes wiped out by evil men. Others have left their tribes to join mine because I offer them a chance to be more than they ever were in the tribe that had given them birth.”

“I can live with that,” Tikál responded tentatively. “I know that Tonko joined your tribe to wander and to have adventures. I considered doing the same the last time you passed through our lands, but decided not to. There had been bad blood then and much was said in anger by our new shaman. Now I think it would be a good idea. I will join you and your tribe; if you will accept me.”

I assured him I would. I also told him there was a lot more for him to learn about my tribe, before he became a full member of it. I assured him that much of what he would learn wasn’t hard to accept and live with. What he did have problems understanding, I would explain to him; or I would have someone else explain, such as Gogra, or Tonko. Tikál was visibly relieved to hear that, and told me so. His only concern now was his mate.

It was a serious concern, and I recognized that fact right away. Tikál had told us that the Horse People’s encampment was close by. In fact, it was within an hour’s ride of the valley at a leisurely gait. Considering that the other riders had galloped off, it wasn’t hard to suppose that they had already returned to the encampment. By now Mondo had been told about my presence here in the valley and the fact that Nabok had been killed. He was probably pissed and in his anger anything could happen.

“Let’s mount up and go get your mate and child, Tikál,” I suggested, standing and stretching as I did. “That way we can get this matter resolved today, and you don’t have to worry about what might happen to them tonight.”

I certainly didn’t need to suggest going and fetching his mate to Tikál twice. The young man was up and on his feet and heading for his horse within seconds of me uttering the words. I actually had to shout at him and tell him to wait a moment, while Gogra and I got ready.

It really didn’t take us long. I put on my webbing and gear, and then I reclaimed my carbine, checking it and my magazine before slinging the weapon about my neck. I then waved Carmen and Nola over. I had to explain to them what was happening. Carmen asked me if I wanted her to ride along.

It was a valid question. I doubted very much that Mondo would hurt either woman or their children, but I really didn’t know for sure. I’d killed his want-to-be shaman last fall, plus a hunting party, and I was certain the man didn’t like me. He might just take that anger out on someone else. If not the women and children, then he might just kill the messenger. I told Carmen ‘yes.’

That left me with a problem. Nola had bonded with Carmen in the short time she’d been with us. Olla and Zahta spoke almost none of her language. I needed someone to babysit the young woman, or I needed to take her along with me. I was close to making that decision when Olla shouted down to me that Burton was on the radio.


“What’s up?” I enquired once I’d climbed up to the top of the overhang and had taken the handset from Olla. “Have you found something?”

“I have,” Burton confirmed without hesitation. “You’ve got a pair of locals heading your way on foot. They’ve just come out of the woods about a quarter of a mile east of your location and they’re slowly working their way towards the enclosure. From where I’m watching them, I’d say they’re two hunters armed with spears.”

I automatically glanced off in the direction that Burton had indicated. I didn’t see anything, but I hadn’t actually expected to spot them yet. There was plenty of trees and brush in between where Burton had said they’d stepped out of the woods and where I was standing. I paused and mused about what to do next, and then spoke to Burton again.

“I’m going to intercept them,” I told the man. “Just keep an eye open while I do, and let Olla know if anyone else shows up, just in case they have backup.”

Burton agreed. I told Olla to monitor the radio and to sound the alarm if Burton, or Dunbar, reported trouble. Then I turned and leapt off the overhang and into the open space of the enclosure below. Once there I strode over to where Gogra and Tikál stood waiting for me by our horses.

“We’ve got company coming, although not Horse People,” I told Gogra pointedly. “Burton reports a couple of hunters working their way here from the other direction. From the sound of it, they might be from the Hilltop village. I intend to go and greet them.”

Gogra grunted his understanding and then said he would ride with me. Tikál looked on with uncertainty as we both mounted up.

“You can stay here for now, or you can come along with us, if you want to,” I told the man as I settled into my saddle. “The choice is yours.”

Tikál decided to mount up and ride with us. While he mounted I let Zahta know what was going on.

Our trip didn’t take us long. We headed up the valley at a trot with me in the lead. Within seconds I spotted the two advancing hunters, and they in turn spotted me. The moment they did, they came to a halt, freezing in the same manner that a deer would when suddenly realizing that they’ve been caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. They blinked with surprise and then glanced at each other as if silently questioning each other as to what to do next. I spared them the job of making a choice. I called out to them.

“Hello,” I called out in greetings, addressing the two men in the Hilltop language, hoping that was who they were. “Do not fear us. I am a friend and wish only to speak with you. Can we talk?”

As with my earlier encounter with the Horse People, hearing me address them in their own language caused both men to pause with a look of disbelief etched upon their faces, and it made them hesitate. Unlike the more recent encounter, once the surprise ebbed, neither man became violent. Instead the leader of the two hunters simply took a pace forward so he could address me. As it turned out, I knew the man, and more importantly, the man knew me.

“You are Jake of the Bear Tribe, right?” the spokesman of the two enquired. “What are you doing here? Have you moved back to the valley?”

It took me a moment to place the man and when I did recognize him, I shook my head in disbelief for he barely looked like the man I’d known before. It was Zedak. I had spoken to him last fall when I’d come looking for Winslow and his minions. The hunter had been tall and proud, then. Now, he looked a shadow of what I remembered. It didn’t help his appearance much that he was unwashed and his hair was unkempt.

“Zedak of the Hilltop People,” I muttered in return, ignoring the man’s questions in order to speak my own. “What has happened to you, my friend? Are you and your people all right? Has someone done you harm?”

It became immediately obvious that Zedak had a story to tell. His shoulders drooped as I spoke to him, and he took to leaning on his spear, treating it more like a cane that the weapon it was. Seeing this, I invited him back to the enclosure to talk. In a tired, strained voice Zedak accepted.

“You’ll need to show some patience, Tikál,” I told the young rider as I turned my mount about and directed it back towards the enclosure at a walk. “These men come from a village that is located up the valley several miles from here. I know for a fact that the village was destroyed by the men who I have been hunting, and who destroyed the wall that once protected the cave that we are staying in. I think they have news I need to hear. I will give them drink and I will speak with them, just as I spoke to you. However, you needn’t worry. We will still be riding to the Horse People camp today, and we will be gathering up your mate and child for you. I promise.”

Tikál accepted my reassurances gracefully, simply nodding his head in acknowledgement when I’d finished speaking. He fell in behind me, riding side by side with Gogra, while Zedak and his companion trailed behind the horses. To my pleasure I heard Gogra whispering to the young hunter, bringing him up to speed on who Zedak was, and why it was important to speak to him. While Gogra had never met the man before, I had spoken of him and the other Hilltop People before, conversing with Gogra in depth, particularly after my last visit north. He was well informed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.